Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Not that I expect a cogent response, but what about these changes are chinesey? And by what metric is this game less mechanically deep than lol?

No more UAMs and creep reward changes seem crazy. Any chance stacking lifesteal it's useful? From my reading, xp had leveled out for a given wave, though ranged gold bounties and deny xp rewards/penalties are boosted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yeah thanks. Made the mistake of responding to not-BBG. I just didn't know what a Chinese-centric change would be. And, no, I haven't seen LoL heroes and most of the criticism I hear about hero design seems to be driven more by the fact there are >100 to compare them to and that only new concepts are graphically instead of mechanically driven.

Only "crazy" thing about creeps was not having to focus so intently on the range creep. I appreciate you otherwise putting me in my place, Mr AlphaBigWang.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 31, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Cuntellectual posted:

BM is going to suck even harder now, her spiders are going to be so easy to farm.

She and her babies get free move still, right? Maybe with armor and magic resist they won't always be insta blapped. They survive more early game but you don't have to get smoke against them...feels like the visage familiars who didn't get song immunity anymore

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Does bf cleave work with pangolier Q?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Kild posted:

It should.

Whups, nope. https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Pangolier

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

TF2 just got a major update too, somehow

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Perhaps this impact is intended.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Frostivus is going to be a custom game made by the community and riot doesn't want to allow custom games to drop cosmetics

you'll prolly get like, a game pass for a custom game that lets you wear the custom game cosmetics

Only $1/month (per cosmetic, surcharges apply for arcanas and immortals, s&h not included, tax not included)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Not that anyone here plays, but can we at least come together as people of good will and agree that adding LoL's concede button at any point in the game is a terrible idea and that the game should just end relatively quickly in lovely situations like when there are feeders, or someone can't reliably stay logged in, or you're demoralized and the enemy is extending the game to troll you/get achievements for their hats.

Might as well end the game after first blood or first tower the way every idiot evaluates the state of their own games. It's in captains draft for competition, which seems the only reasonable place for it.

It used to be hard to log in when games would end in 20 with heavy push or seemingly as often hit 70+ minutes because all these late game things weren't in. You had to have like two hours free to start a game, just in case, or risk being the rear end who leaves in the middle of a harrowing one hour game.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Kawabata posted:

And yeah I think the thought of wasting 20 more minutes of your life losing even harder is part of what's making people leave mobas in droves.

I think this is the only issue I'm bringing up. The game is fun in close comebacks, maybe exclusively. Shared suffering you and your teammates push through. Assuming you're done but still having another twenty minutes usually means it wasn't inevitable and telling people they should consider leaving at twenty and then again for every setback afterward is just a bad option to offer them. For what it's worth this was the old reported opinion of failing company, Valve, and the reason it's not in.

Yay! Thanks for noticing and being snarky about my bad opinions, wangsbig, it's always an honor. I bring it up because I have reasonably well ranked, long-time lol playing friends who complain about this feature and the general ready-to-quit state people seem to be in. I don't think it's the reason the game is successful, maybe it would be improved if it was removed, assuming the game let people gain advantages and use them (comeback mechanics are fair, high ground is crackable, etc.). And who cares what they do with their dumb game, dota players are real men who follow through with their commitments. Rocket league has it, which is odd, but since games are only five minutes long and aren't based aren't gradual buildup of economic advantage it feels fine.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 5, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Excuse the Reddit link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3lsb2v/valve_developer_why_valve_will_never_add_a/

He's not completely wrong, but not completely accurate. Part of the quote is "the people who are winning are probably having fun".

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The point is you've queued into a dota game and you're all expected to fight it out. Especially now that games are endable. You, at whatever all-knowing mmr you are, can't guess how the game will end, or if the enemy team will misplay their advantage. If you're not willing to play a game longer than twenty minutes unless you're winning, you should never have tried to play dota.

It's not the instantaneous reward of the ancient explosion that is the payoff for the slog, it's the knowing the effort was worth it and you overcame your doubt. Forced 50% winrate, yada yada

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 5, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

i dont know how it will end but I know how bored I am playing it and hell, maybe two other ppl will agree with me and we can move on

This is all of us during strategy time. We cannot have this option.

Move on, in general and in life, without clicking the button or you'll just be ready to bail on the next four/nine folks who don't live up to your entertainment dreams.

That goes through my head before every click and so I typically don't. Maybe it is killing the game because people aren't clicking, but drat I would hate it if people were able to suggest forfeit to plant that gg-go-next seed. With all the bitching we do about the watering down/catering to casuals, I'd think we were nearly unanimous here.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 5, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

this is actually a reward btw, low prio has been the best and funnest mode particularly after they murdered randoming

This is a sad truth.

I miss old random draft.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yeah, they usually feature high skill player perspectives while they're stacking with some anchors so they just steamroll...on the other hand, I'm sure miracle makes his pubs look silly whether he's in party or solo.

Watch all of the purge teaching day9 vods and then realize you're probably worse off than when you started because that game is gone now and it's purge. I like the "Only Way To Play" guides too, though the guy is kind obviously just targeting YouTube ad delivery timers with his length/pace.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

An0-Mage?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sometimes they increase the uncertainty by a little for these kinda things. Not that it matters, you won't be less trash in the 10 games than before. But yeah, definitely not starting from scratch in any case..

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

That definitely works if you can't help but play in the poo poo.

Otherwise take wangs advice and just join the LPQ party.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

And then Artifact was released and we all broke that promise we made to ourselves. For one week.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I liked the titan stages of minimum a lot, but I think that game is ded and messed with airmech for a week or two. I miss SMNC, too.

There was this one tank moba that was in EA that hit a lot of the sticking points for me, especially it's UI, but I can't remember it's name and you can't Google "tank moba" and find anything useful. Atlas reactor is really neat, though it has turns and is tactical like xcom, so isn't really a moba, but its good for my old man brain/fingers.

I refuse to play a mobs if I can't click drag the camera like in dota. Honestly, it's my biggest problem with HotS.

There's a strangely highly rated esports manager game on steam that looks hilarious and I think I'll have to install it for a few yuks.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 13, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

the system works

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Snazzy Frocks posted:

u say that and then u play dota

He just prefers a specific kind of dota. It's about cultivating a preference and then ruining games when the taste is off.

I got to play a game with slacks when he soloed into party queue. I said "If you were real slacks you'd slam pick techies and be done with it." So he did and it was wonderful.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 22, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The low BAT is fun too, though. And he'd basically not be able to interact with a lane. I guess that parts not horrible, but he would be in a unique position where he might not get enough attacks to get all the cs in a wave without burning mana.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Is it the increased shrine hp and regen that's got folks thinking this way? Or the fact that buildings don't pay out as if they are significant game state changes?

Seems like a good experiment to me but lol if I actually play this game anymore.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 13, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

You're not wrong, and Icefrog definitely is, but that's the actual in game text.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Not gonna lie, I didn't see the date and thought it was dredged. That's awesome.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Smythe posted:

i thihnk my favorite thing to do in dota is to fully rp with the voice, lore, and wc3 hero names

Slacks? Has it been you all along?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

emdash posted:

Battle pass is out, two (or three if you count mutations) new game modes, sprays, role-based queues, and all the usual trappings http://www.dota2.com/international/battlepass

The new tipping system is kinda brilliant, even if you just feed all ten tips to the same friend by contract like the old tips.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 9, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

being able to complete stuff in turbo mode was the best decision valve has made in years

I agree. None of the Plus stuff unfortunately, but I get that.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

In the first 30 hours since recalibration, the matchmaker was overly sensitive on wins and losses and it resulted in players calibrating with bigger gains and losses than intended. We are processing all matches again and will be correcting the rank gains and losses throughout the day. Medals will be appear as undefined for a bit during this process.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

rip the olden days

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I miss this game.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

the tooltip for aegis has the pronunciation correct.

Ftfy

It's a long running thing that it's how icefrog wants it said. Was added fairly recently.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Boatswain posted:

She's top tier right now because people figured out that Q at level 1 works as a good nuke when the sidelanes are all 2v2 brawling.

They nerfed lvl 1 Q pretty hard though. And you want lvl1 frostbite for jungle creeps sometimes. She's still rul good though.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I've had fun winning a couple times with Phoenix and viper together. You can cover a whole room with nethertoxin and the amped magic dmg is nuts. Most of my wins are on dk though. Kinda hard to gently caress that guy up. Big ults with short or medium cooldowns work nicely. Won one with tide just giving auras and having ravage up in all but one fight. Had a crazy fast game with 16 kills with a necro, gyro, Phoenix group. Rooms were done a soon as we walked in them.

I imagine io would be good too, but I haven't made it work.

Pro tip: you can place the wards on the other side of walls and gates.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Still most likely correlates to less games played. Turbo is fun and good and the hots of dota and gives you battle pass credit and half plus xp. Do that for real if you have trouble with long games. Still have the rare 40min game but I'm usually done around 22mim.

It's not real dota and you have to play it a little differently and you'll feel that, but it frees you from the gradually changing number-value and it's more arcadey and people can't steal your courier.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I would play more hots if they made camera drag work like dota and not suck.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

How does HOTS camera drag work? Because I find that DOTA's "move the camera, but also the cursor is going to move as well" to be hot garbage. Camera drag should just lock the cursor on the screen and move the viewport.

It works like you want it to, more like middle-click works in browsers, but you're objectively wrong imo. It disappears while you're dragging too. I would like to know where my cursor is plz. I like the feeling of grabbing the ground and moving it and prepping my cursor where I'm trying to click. I just end up edge panning when I play, which is like two games a year but I played a longer stint when they gave away all those heroes. I get that people like the other, but a custom opt-in would be nice. I played an mmo about tanks and they had both and it felt surprisingly well crafted even though it was pretty bad.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 14, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Agent355 posted:

now that CM has kinda fallen out of meta

do hwat now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Alternatively, learning to cs is important and the job of a carry is more straightforward and you get to make people explode. I don't think the old law of play supports first applies as much anymore. Play what you want and gently caress the haters.

Welcome back to the fold.