Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

premium gas is $3.14 and i dont get very good gas mileage

So... assuming that you drive 40 miles each way (not 40 total in a day) that's 400 miles in a 5 day work week. $130 of gas at $3.14 per gallon is 41.40 gallons. You get 9.66 MPG? Are you driving a fully loaded semi truck to work? Or maybe a 3/4 ton pickup truck or Chrysler land yacht from the late 60's or early 70's? :v:

Edit: drat you for changing the numbers on me in an update post while I was typing! :argh:

So at $100 it's still 12.56 MPG.. what the hell kind of land barge do you drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
IIRC a saturn astra :v:

edit: or am I remembering some other old troll?

For real, cold-ish weather and an FI-4cyl can devour a surprising amount of gas. IIRC he is still driving his ion redline!

Edit two: beat me! damnit!

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 29, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Locator posted:

So... assuming that you drive 40 miles each way (not 40 total in a day) that's 400 miles in a 5 day work week. $130 of gas at $3.14 per gallon is 41.40 gallons. You get 9.66 MPG? Are you driving a fully loaded semi truck to work? Or maybe a 3/4 ton pickup truck or Chrysler land yacht from the late 60's or early 70's? :v:

Edit: drat you for changing the numbers on me in an update post while I was typing! :argh:

So at $100 it's still 12.56 MPG.. what the hell kind of land barge do you drive?

Beverly Cleavage posted:

IIRC a saturn astra :v:

saturn ion redline

the super charger and sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours a day probably dont help

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus dude, my wife drives a V8 Lexus 2 hours a day and we spend half that amount on gas. It takes premium too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I drive 52 miles one-way to work. It takes about 90 minutes on average one way, thanks to a long stretch of bumper to bumper traffic on I-10. The Focus ST still manages to average 28mpg over the tank of gas, although the stop and go stretch is obviously worse than that. I am fairly stunned how terrible the Saturn does.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Locator posted:

I drive 52 miles one-way to work. It takes about 90 minutes on average one way, thanks to a long stretch of bumper to bumper traffic on I-10. The Focus ST still manages to average 28mpg over the tank of gas, although the stop and go stretch is obviously worse than that. I am fairly stunned how terrible the Saturn does.

Are you stunned that TT is plain full of poo poo? :v: Post your fuelly or real mpg, liar (TT). :colbert:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Last month we spent $366 on gas between my F150 (12mpg), 325xi wagon (21), and wifes Fiesta ST (28). This is with me sitting in stop and go traffic ~1.5h+ each day. Thanks Portland!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If he's legit sitting in traffic for two hours a day (jesus loving christ) then I could see all that time idling tanking the mileage pretty badly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

i'm averaging 28mpg hauling rear end in my gti 50 mi/day

getting up at 4am sucks though

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

If he's legit sitting in traffic for two hours a day (jesus loving christ) then I could see all that time idling tanking the mileage pretty badly.

He's exaggerating once again, just like his mpg. :lol: The traffic here can suck at rush hour but he just said he can work flex hours so he's either really bad at planning his schedule accordingly or full of it... Or we can assume he's driving WOT all day, in the dead of winter, with a dead o2 sensor and revving at every other ricer in traffic. Wouldn't be altogether implausible I guess. :rice:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 29, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You can show up any time between 4 and 10:30 but still spend two hours sitting in traffic a day? How does that work?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jamal posted:

You can show up any time between 4 and 10:30 but still spend two hours sitting in traffic a day? How does that work?

He must live near DC

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

He must live near DC

iirc he's in Michigan which is even more :wtc:

lol your car drinks more than my 7 thousand pound truck which I find *very* hard to believe.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Larrymer posted:

He's exaggerating once again, just like his mpg. :lol: The traffic here can suck at rush hour but he just said he can work flex hours so he's either really bad at planning his schedule accordingly or full of it... Or we can assume he's driving WOT all day, in the dead of winter, with a dead o2 sensor and revving at every other ricer in traffic. Wouldn't be altogether implausible I guess. :rice:

jamal posted:

Eh, my commute takes me south on I-75 to west I-696. I flex depending on if the missus works, so if she works that night i leave at 8a so I can be home by 6 to see her off, which are obviously the busiest times of the day to be on those two stretches of highway. I only go in at 10:30a twice or three times a week, it's getting to be less since the holidays have us wanting to do stuff before all the stores close.

I don't have an app, and i have no idea why i would exaggerate this when it's a silly thing to lie about. I spend $100/wk on gasoline and I drive 200mi/wk. Just had the leaking gas lines replaced, no check engine light so probably not a dead O2 sensor, and I have that Right Track thing attached to my car for cheaper insurance so I can't hoon even if i had the ability to or else my discount will go down

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 29, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Just had the leaking gas lines replaced, no check engine light so probably not a dead O2 sensor, and I have that Right Track thing attached to my car for cheaper insurance so I can't hoon even if i had the ability to or else my discount will go down

How much does that actually save you? I don’t understand why people use those, seems like a convenient excuse for the insurance company to gouge.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rdb posted:

How much does that actually save you? I don’t understand why people use those, seems like a convenient excuse for the insurance company to gouge.

23% so far, and they can't up your bill based on your driving habits so we shall see. My only annoyance with it is that if it senses a change in speed +/- 8mph in 3 seconds or less, it dings you and reduces your discount by 5%. Sometimes merging onto the highway requires you go from 20mph to 55mph real quick depending on how long the onramp is. Braking hard i dont really have an excuse for :shrug:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Luckily you drive a car that can't do either of those things despite getting 11mpg. :v:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I thought I was being an adult by not spending 50p on a second hand copy of a haynes manual for 80's ford fiestas from a charity bin earlier but now I'm wracked with deep regret..
I'll never own the car and I don't really have the shelf space but gahh.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

23% so far, and they can't up your bill based on your driving habits so we shall see. My only annoyance with it is that if it senses a change in speed +/- 8mph in 3 seconds or less, it dings you and reduces your discount by 5%. Sometimes merging onto the highway requires you go from 20mph to 55mph real quick depending on how long the onramp is. Braking hard i dont really have an excuse for :shrug:

holy poo poo that's not worth the discount at all

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

22.5 seconds to get to 60? I enjoy using more than the first 1/2" of pedal travel tyvm.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

That’s actually a decent discount. It would probably work out well for my prius, wouldn’t work at all on my motorcycle.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rdb posted:

That’s actually a decent discount. It would probably work out well for my prius, wouldn’t work at all on my motorcycle.

Yeah saving $300/yr would be super nice

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
gently caress you, Amazon.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Locator posted:

Best: 22.96 mpg
Worst: 8.10 mpg
Average: 14.2 mpg

pretty sure that 22.96 is wrong, I don't remember ever breaking 18

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fo3 posted:

CT said it was to someone else. IE broke up with partner already, maybe took it out on a 3rd party.

If anyone thinks I blurt out horrible things to a partner then they truly know gently caress all about what I am really like and can go gently caress themselves with a barbed wire baseball bat. The speration is peaceful and mutual due to her and I going to totally different directions in life. I'm not going to pretend it's easy or the next few months I'm going to struggle to even find a place to sleep for more than a fe days at a time but it is what it is. The cats and cars are being looked after.

I said something I deeply regret to someone else. I'm trying to apologise but they aint listening right now. I just will have to live with the consequences.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

I could get a fairly nice raise by moving to one of those contractor positions that they offer me sometimes.. until I factor in the cost of my benefits including sick time and vacation, and suddenly it's not a raise anymore.

Yeah, that's my problem now. 12 company holidays, plus no sick time, plus no vacation, plus healthcare costing double what I was used to, and I effective make lass than I made two jobs ago. Partially my own fault for acting like I still worked for my host company, rather than a disposable outsourcee, I guess.
Still beats unemployment, and the environment is reasonable. At least until I gently caress up again.
On that point, one-on-one with the boss tomorrow, since it's been 6 months. No, of course I'm not nervous! (Impostor syndrome is kicking in like a motherfucker.)
I certainly hope that their happy. I'd like to stay, and even more so go perm. Jeans and sneakers, decent coffee, various departments cater a lot, 20-30 minute drive when there's traffic, and working with some decent folks.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Best: 22.96 mpg
Worst: 8.10 mpg
Average: 14.2 mpg

pretty sure that 22.96 is wrong, I don't remember ever breaking 18

I've had one like that on my Crown Vic's chart. I knew it was an anomaly, so I just marked the fill up immediately after as a missed fill up.
Best of 19.5 (highway trip, obviously), average of 16.5. I drive mostly city, often in traffic commuting. I still like my V8 cop couch.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
And just as I posted that they replied and said there was another reason that I didnt expect why they didnt want to talk.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Cool now I understand why everybody with 600hp shitboxes is slower than my anemic as gently caress 80s diesel.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I've had one like that on my Crown Vic's chart. I knew it was an anomaly, so I just marked the fill up immediately after as a missed fill up.
Best of 19.5 (highway trip, obviously), average of 16.5. I drive mostly city, often in traffic commuting. I still like my V8 cop couch.
Me, too. The first three or four fill ups after purchase were like 22-24 MPG, but I had a misfire and two bad O2 sensors. Since then, uhh...

And the beetle and bus for comparison

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Fuckkkkkkkkk I hosed up my front brakes when I installed the pads back in July and now I get to do pads and rotors tonight before I leave for Texas in the morning GODDAMNIT.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Darchangel posted:

...(Impostor syndrome is kicking in like a motherfucker.)...

Just looked that up. I feel like that all the loving time. Never knew there was a name for it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well I won't mention the economy figures but after I totally failed to get even one of the 6 bolts out required to remove and clean the egr valve on my wife's car I borrowed it and I've been giving it the Italian tune-up to work and back all week, less visible soot and the CEL has gone away :woop:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

Impostor syndrome

Holy poo poo :aaaaa:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Just looked that up. I feel like that all the loving time. Never knew there was a name for it.
I think it's a lot more common than people realise. One of those "wow, everyone feels the same after all" deals.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah it turns out there are no real adults, just people who pretended hard enough they don't know how not to anymore.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Me, too. The first three or four fill ups after purchase were like 22-24 MPG, but I had a misfire and two bad O2 sensors. Since then, uhh...

I really want to take it on an extended highway run, like a full tank or two, and see what it will do. I expect 21-22 out of it. That 19.5 was just like half a tank of highway, and I'm not gentle with the gas pedal (which is why I get 16 everywhere...)

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

http://maximumble.thebookofbiff.com/2017/11/27/1645-a-mess/

InitialDave posted:

I think it's a lot more common than people realise. One of those "wow, everyone feels the same after all" deals.

A lot of it for me is just that I don't believe that anyone could possibly find this job difficult. I don't feel like I'm that good at it, yet people seem to be thrilled with what I do. I feel like I'm slacking all over the place (I am. I mean, I'm talking to you guys) but I'm doing everything they need me to do. I should probably be learning some new technologies or whatever, but I don't learn well by just reading stuff. I need a specific goal, task, or problem to work on, which I may ask for in the one-on-one if it's not going sideways to start with. Like, maybe challenge me to get a Net+ by summer or something. I want to, but..ehh. If someone's expecting me to so something, it's remarkably easier to stick with it. Go figure. Guess I'm not what you call self-motivated.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah it turns out there are no real adults, just people who pretended hard enough they don't know how not to anymore.

That would be fine if some of them didn't take it so seriously. :)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah it turns out there are no real adults, just people who pretend.

Me, since about age 26 onwards.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it costs me $130/wk to fuel my current 40mi/day commute

I spend less than that on gas, and drive 800ish miles a week. And there's a shitload of bumper to bumper traffic thrown in.

Also, quit smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I only have a ~14 mile round trip commute and a stay at home wife that doesn’t do a ton of driving. I put about 5k miles total on personal driving this year. I go like 3-4 weeks in between fill ups :smugdog:

Just made it through the busiest two days of the year. Business is good; but my industry is in need of a Renaissance.

• Locked thread