Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm in Korea worryin' about BOATS!

We've got an engineer flying in today to install some sensors. We *thought* the ship was supposed to arrive tomorrowish and be here for a few days. Unfortunately, due to a scheduling issue, she arrived *yesterday*. I got my job done, but I'm stuck here fretting over his installation, making sure his devices can talk to our devices. There's an 80% chance I could fix whatever issues arise over a really slow satellite internet connection, and maybe a 20% chance I might have to talk my way back into the port.

Being in Korea as a business traveler is stressful in unexpected ways. I did my best to learn a little Korean before I left: I can identify most consonants and a few vowels and sound most short words out, but, like, finding a place to eat has proven remarkably challenging since I lack a fundamental ability to parse information in Hangul. Still, it's nice here, and most people are really enthusiastic about helping (especially pantomiming about the right way to eat food).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Regular, non-flashing CEL and still runs okay? I bet you it's some emissions thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Go for the jugular bolind.

I installed a server on a cargo ship back on Tuesday, and I've been sitting here in Donghae, Korea waiting for a contractor from the sensor company to come, hook up some sensors, and turn on their PLC. My plan was, he'd show up, turn on his thing, we'd verify that the two devices could talk, and I'd be on my way to Seoul this morning. I think he knew I was waiting, so he chose to tackle the main engine power meter first and let me twist in the wind a few days. Dude got his device powered on at something like 4:45 PM today -- just late enough that I wouldn't be able to make the last train out. I still have enough flex built into my plan that I can make it to the airport in time tomorrow, but for the love of god, dude. I've been grinding my teeth for three days waiting for some sign of life from their device.

• Locked thread