Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It is (nearly) November, nearly my birthday. Every year for the past 6/7 years I've thrown pizza parties but this year I just cannot be hosed. What's wrong with me AI? Wed MD says cancer (thought it always says that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

Get your birthday poo poo on enough times by people and you stop giving a poo poo about it. 29th birthday was literally "Ignore Tinal the whole time and then yell at him for being rude because he decided to go home."

I left my 30th birthday before almost everyone else (was originally going to spend the night where it was happening) and the only people who noticed were the ones I drove home. There was a pig roast and everyone had started the party before I even got there (impatient fucks, tell me the right time to show up at then) and I got to eat my birthday dinner alone before going up to join the rest of the party.

Dude. That's poo poo. My friends are great but I'm just feeling super lazy about everything this year.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is it just me or is it weird that adults throw birthday parties for themselves. A surprise party from friends/family I get, but planning one for yourself? Just seems odd to me.

For party read 'come to my place on this particular date to eat pizza and get wrecked.'

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

In Ireland recently I had an 'Orchard Thieves' cider aaaaaaaand it's my favourite cider now. And you can only buy it England in Sainsburys in piddly little 330ml cans instead of the hulking great 660ml bottles over there. #firstworldproblems

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

In the UK it's been shown that the general public believe that 'lazy shiftless sad sacks' are leaching ten hundred billion quid from the pot. Fact is the real number is absolutely gently caress all in the grand scheme of things. Ironically those that are loving the country over are the huge multi million pound + companies.

Not saying don't chase the small leeches but when you have huge ones feeding directly off your arteries you may want to prioritise a bit.

Also I love not having to gently caress about doing taxes ever :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

:staredog:

Add another one to the cultural/language divide.

Same divide as 'World Series' meaning 2 countries at best?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

This is not a problem for me personally, as I tune out immediately upon hearing any of them.

Same but with American sports too.

*edit for clarity: all sports are poop to watch. Play sports instead, it's more fun.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 2, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

Its alright for some you bastard :(. I have to do taxes and they loving suck working as a 1-man business since I have to follow the same rules and procedures as those huge companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

that's one of a few reasons why I don't run my own business. Also why is that poo poo never written up in plain English??

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Seminal Flu posted:

Nice! Now how do you incorporate or pull the data from it? Is that just the mechanical portion?

In other news, sometimes reddit isn't a complete cesspool. Here's 850hp versys 10,000hp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6n28JJAaAo
and

It's this bit which you quoted which is loving crazy...

quote:

Putting this all into perspective:

Lets say the you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin turbo-powered Corvette Z06.

Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass by it. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. Just as you pass the Top Fuel Dragster the 'tree' goes green for both of you.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within three seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it---from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH and not only caught you, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320-foot-long race!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Yeah. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't weigh yourself

Fixed that. The only thing you should be focusing on are the weights of the poo poo you can lift and if you want to be a dweeb, your ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS. Buy a measuring tape, gently caress scales forever, you are not a woman.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

The lower numbers on the scale are very satisfying!

There's a point where you can't sustain it though hence it's a lovely way to do things. Diets basically starve you and muscle goes first, women just love to see the numbers fall so don't give a gently caress. If thought turned to body composition rather than actual weight, poo poo would be better for everyone. Rather than just watch numbers fall off a scale, become stronger, learn that body image is far more than something related to a loving scale that you slavishly stand on each day in order to see a number possibly go down a bit. If it doesn't go down, punish yourself by eating less than yesterday or fool yourself by drinking less water because you retain it.

I genuinely hate everything to do with scales, it's a completely moronic way of doing things and leads to the delicious trap that is the never-ending cycle of failed faddy diets and other associated fuckery.

I put on a shirt I bought a year ago and it's now too small for me. That's all I need to know about how my lifting is working out. My thighs rub like gently caress now and I'm destroying jeans because of it. gently caress scales forever. Eat good food, lift a weight, don't be a fanny.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I agree, though the team "weight loss" thing we've got going through work is based purely around weight loss (the idea is to drop at least 10% of your weight by mid-January).

The scales don't bother me because it's just another metric, but I don't feel beholden to them. It helps that I both have enough to lose that even with a very composition-oriented plan of campaign (protein and lifting), I'll drop a lot of weight, and also that I'm naturally very "dense", so I don't really give a poo poo what I'm "meant" to weigh outside of my own opinions. I actually had to go and buy some scales for the work thing.

And yes on the "women's weight loss" thing. Not in the sense of "look how stupid girls are", more it really annoys me some of the total bollocks that gets pushed on them. I think my favourite was "I was told to do push-ups from my knees to avoid damaging my lady bits". Ok, look, your body isn't that badly designed, alright? Oh, and loving Slim Fast. Just get actual protein/MRP shakes if you're wanting to do that sort of thing.

I have quite a few friends, ladies who've followed various diets and such and they're always frustrated that their lives then revolve around what they're allowed to eat. That's really not a way to live your life. Recently a few of them have discovered running/military fitness stuff and strangely they find they have to worry less about food because they're using it for fuel. One of them has slimmed down loads and become a bunch stronger, she doesn't even bother with scales because the trainer has banned them, he too thinks they're bullshit.

Women's magazines are awful, pushing poo poo like 'toning up' which is a hilariously terrible way of saying 'building muscle' in order not to scare women into thinking as soon as they step into a gym or do any form of exercise they're going to turn into The Hulk. I loving wish it were that easy!

And I have no clue how much I weigh, I last weighed myself maybe a year ago. I feel good, clothes fit better, I'm definitely stronger so I'm just gonna roll with it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I desperately wish more fitness instructors would tell women to lift weights. The secret to looking 'toned' is having some muscle, and the female bodybuilder look that is used to scare people off isn't possible without a ton of work and usually chemical assistance.

I've had conversations with friends about it. How many of the women you know have muscles that are too big? Do you think you can grow muscles overnight after a single gym session? Have you ever had the terrible affliction of muscles that were too swole?

Strangely none of them ever answer that they know a woman who is super jacked from a single gym session, nor have they ever woken up the day after the gym to find out they were shredded to the point of being the world's most muscular woman.

Toned means building muscle, yes but for some reason ladies seem to think that they'll turn into these juice head muscle freak women who are quite clearly on all sorts of drug cocktails as well as lifting heavy every day and eating a small child's weight in protein and then taking yet more supplements to fuel it.

It's very odd that this is normal thinking when it comes to weights.

InitialDave posted:

My response to the "I don't want to get all big and muscley" was "if that happens by accident, I want whatever poo poo you're taking".

Seriously.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I watched both seasons of Stranger Things over the past few weeks and it's legit good, probably the best series I've seen since Breaking Bad.

I was not expecting to enjoy the second series as much as I did.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Left is a modern Mini of some description.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

QuarkMartial posted:

Weight chat: started 2017 at 437lbs, now I'm down to 375. Shooting for below 360 before this year is over. Weightlifting (and proper nutrition) is where it's at.

:bisonyes:

Nice work, 360 is easily achievable. Get it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

slidebite posted:

Just walking through Walmart and see an Xbone X on the shelf. WTF is that?

Emperor's new clothes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Insurance quotes can be the dumbest poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Am I going crazy or did we have another 'my wife ordered <x> thing and when it arrived it was <x> thing and is now mad about it because it's exactly what she ordered' post thing not too long ago?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Aaaand just had a chat with Steve Peat. Having a good evening!

Edit: Yeah, Hans came on stage for his talk to Jump Around, and finished it by backhopping a GT Zaskar off the stage. I definitely got what I came for. Cool guy.

Fuckn' rad.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A fun CRZ already exists, it's called a CRX.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you don't get the following references you should be banned from AI:
  • I like the tuna here
  • Overnight parts from Japan
  • I live my life a quarter mile at a time
  • Too soon, Junior
  • NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWS :kingsley:
  • granny shiftin, not double clutching like you should

please add to this list.

"Ménage à!" and the following "Monica! :("
"Dude I almost had you!"
"You almost had me? You never had your car"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I only watch Koyaanisquatsi; once a year and while self-flagellating.

To be fair it has one hell of a soundtrack. And it makes me feel sad.

:(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Enourmo posted:

For the Beetles, a common way to check for problems is to look at the grille. Often, they'll have a mark left over from the manufacturing process, resembling a capital W with a V just above it. If you see that mark, it's a defective car and should be scrapped.

:discourse:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Music chat:

I was recently played this by a friend and it's been a while since I've been dumbstruck laughing by a band. It pretty much defies description. I'm not entirely sure I like it but it sure is interesting.

quote:

"I just want to make the music I love, without asking myself if it's gonna be too complex or too far from what people like. I want to make the music which has sense to me, with no restrictions, like a big party with metalheads, electronics nerds, classical and baroque-heads and gypsy violinists getting drunk and joining together to bring the best of every genre..."

https://youtu.be/UBakgOHKI-g?t=5m50s

Batshit.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 17, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fridge corn posted:

They made a film about emojis

...and people went to see it.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

1 minute in, and yup, dumbstruck laughter. My brain can't quite process what's going on (... I'm lucky it can process breathing most days). But I'm going to blast the gently caress out of this in the car.

Eastern European folk music, metal blast beats, opera singers, funk bass, breakcore and loving chiptune. It's crazy. And that's just that one song. ADHD in song form.

BraveUlysses posted:

Lol, this reminds me that my dad took me to the Mario movie back in the day and holy poo poo that is a bad movie

It was truly loving awful. I recall being on holiday in Turkey maybe when it was at the cinema. Of course this resulted in rolling round markets and coming home with that and Jurassic Park on possibly the worst VHS copy known to man, a camera in the cinema job, poorly focused and blown out because sensors back then didn't do bright light in a dark room and the copy itself was likely 30 generations deep.

The best part of the film was the tiny little Bob-bomb wearing Reeboks

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Edit: I only got one goony visitor in the form of Olympic Mathlete.

How dare you. :o

Also this was my car's rattier, more abused twin (mine was parked half a dozen cars up the road):

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Everytime someone over here mentions 5 Guys, the following words appear either preceding the name or following it: "it's so expensive"

...yet they'll happily roll into a pub and spunk £15 on a worse burger with shittier chips and no chance of a decent milkshake.

Cage posted:

Nah sometimes you like to feel a couple pounds of food in your stomach like a lead weight, fam.

Don't judge.

"this was a bad idea" *avoids the place for another 6 months*

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Because Trump, duh. It's what he does.
It *has* to be an elaborate joke to see how much he can gently caress with us before we throw him out

Hurry up plz

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

At least once? I seem to pick women who I know when it comes down to it will be able to prod me to such a point I say horrible things so I've done it a whole bunch of times. People can be horrible and when emotions run high things get said, likely true things but horrible hurtful shite overall.

Kinda hard to de-escalate some situations though when someone's going at you. I don't regret any of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If you blurt out horrible poo poo to your SO just because you're mad you must not have wanted to be with that person anyway tbh. And that goes both ways.

It's called having respect for the person you love. If you can't do that then you will never be able to sustain a long term relationship.

Tru, there's a reason they're exes.

• Locked thread