Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
And people ask why I only own 1st gens with the emissions rats nest removed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Crossposting from my project thread that nobody reads because I'm just so loving excited. So, OK, weeeeelp, the Skip Barber bankruptcy auctions start ending today. It's sad that this longrunning institution went out of business.

... buuuuuuut, I just won the auction for a water brake for an engine dynamometer. If it's the model I think it is, it should be able to hold 800hp, includes a water pump, and I have a data acquisition system capable of controlling it (need valves and stuff but whatever)

So yeah, priming poo poo to get ridiculous.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

the spyder posted:

We must combine forces... to break your dyno.

I mean poo poo, I'm game. I'm mostly focusing on NA stuff to start, but that's "to start". :D

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you make 20k a year 3400 is a loving fortune. If you make 2M a year 340k is an inconvenience. Here we have 10k ish tax free then bands above that, it's harder to back of the envelope but a linear rise in% by income always sounded better to me.

This is explaining it better - basically at lower income levels more and more of your income is going to be devoted to basic survival necessities. Yes, people making more will generally be spending more on cost of living too (because they can) but even with that in mind, you're basically taking a chunk out of one person's survival budget and another chunk out of someone's investment/Ferrari/coke budget.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

zomg it's happening... huge thanks and kudos to Nitrospazzz for picking this sucker up.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Seminal Flu posted:

Nice! Now how do you incorporate or pull the data from it? Is that just the mechanical portion?

Yep, it's just the mechanical portion - the actual brake (actually the world's most inefficient water pump) and a water pump.

On top of that, I need infrastructure to hold and cool a shitload of water (1000ish gallons would be ideal) and valves to control the flow, plus a separate heat exchanger cooling loop for the engine coolant, and the obvious fuel/ecu/etc stuff to make the engine work. None of the rest of that's going to break the bank, it's just fiddly.
Instrumentation I need at least a load cell, but the sky's the limit going up from there - I actually have a data acquisition computer I made out of surplus ebay National Instruments hardware that will do a bunch of analog and digital inputs and outputs at a data rate that's overkill enough so I could easily do things like, for example, intake manifold pressure vs crank angle, or cylinder pressure vs crank angle.

Work to do but exciting.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

InitialDave posted:

You're doing it wrong. Just set it all up, then print out whatever figures you like, telling people they're from a dyno if questioned.

That doesn't win any races though... drat, I really am doing this all wrong.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Ugh. Stupid exercise - with my brainmeats the way they are, and the way that gradual increases are easy to overlook, every time I try I tend to just "come to the realization" that there's no improvement and it's futile. Yes, I intellectually know that's not the case, but I'm not good at continuing on with things that my brain is screaming aren't doing anything, except for a few years once where I hated myself.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Goddammit, well, I guess I'm going to Culver's for lunch. Wisconsin represent! (or something? Is that the right use of that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

rdb posted:

Its ok and thank you. I posted about it earlier this year, and legally, I can’t go into details yet. His birthday and thanksgiving were quite rough.

My wife and I decided to try again, and shes 13 weeks today, a healthy boy so far. So its not all doom and gloom.

Holy poo poo I'm sorry, and glad you tried again. It's just slightly weird because my wife's 12 weeks on with our first.

• Locked thread