Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Ephphatha posted:

It's a chat thread. Vent about the introduction of American traditions to backwards countries like Australia, or just enjoy this shot of Stubby Bob being awesome.

potentiall unpopular opinion: I dislike the new front wheel/tire sitch on Stubby Robert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Dagen H posted:

Yeah I don't know what the deal is, but I don't like it.

E: I think I see disc brakes...maybe a front axle swap?

I think you're right. Probably a good idea both from a landing gear standpoint, and a stopping standpoint!

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I love '80's cars.
I hate this though:

5 temp sensor/connections, half a dozen vacuum, millions of relays, defunct PCV/crankcase blowby scavenging. MITSUBISHI!!!! :argh:

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Geeze, I feel a little better about this, then: (although the schematic is deceptive to reality)

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

The Locator posted:

Dumb healthcare question.

The benefits package where I work is something that is held out as part of why good people should work for us. Competitive pay and good benefits is something that you simply must have if you want to attract and keep good talent. You can substitute higher pay for worse benefits, or sometimes better benefits for worse pay, but the combination has to be attractive at some level if you (as a company) want to keep solid talent on the payroll.

My company is heavily IT, and it's really difficult to keep good people in the long term, because the really good people can get huge raises by just jumping ship periodically.

Is the lovely healthcare I'm reading about in this thread because this just isn't true of most industries in the country? Is there no competition for good workers so no need to provide good benefits and/or pay? I guess it just seemed obvious to me that good employees would migrate to good companies that provided these benefits, and the other companies would need to step up and provide similar benefits/pay if they wanted to not constantly lose their talent. It sounds like this is completely not true, and I'm puzzled as to why, as it seems like the labor market would force the companies into providing decent benefits.

I think you're kind of skirting around answering your own question. The industry that a lot of people with sub-par health benefits are employed in are not necessarily high level or even career-level employment. I don't agree with "poor people get poor care", but it's an inalienable truth in our controlled-market health economy.

Another data point: my health insurance is BCBS through the federal gov't. It has a really low copay, low deductible somewhere around $5000. The salary for that job also makes it so you should be carrying at least $5k in savings as long as you're not financially wasteful. This plan costs me as a member $375/mo and covers my wife and I. My wife works as a nurse practitioner, and the cancer center she works for offers a worse policy that costs her less for a family, and she was able to decline coverage through them and increase her salary by ~$4500/yr as a result. I have a heart condition that requires medication that costs more than the aggregate cost of the plan premiums, and the plan covers like 95% of that cost. A couple years ago I required heart surgery that cost $397,000, and I paid something like $2700 out of pocket because we had used the other $2300 in that year.

edit: corrected redundancy since I didn't know the difference between deductible and max cap.

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 1, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

The Locator posted:

The example above where a nurse practitioner in a cancer center has a worse health care option than the government job is mind boggling to me. With the incredible demand for health care professionals I would expect the health plans available to the employees to be fantastic in order to attract the workers.

In my opinion the cancer center is doing it "more right" than the feds. Health insurance shouldn't be the only carrot on a stick for good employees. In her case she's getting nearly 175% of the expected pay in her field. The feds just throw together the best/most expensive package and eat a ton of the cost on their end because the house has all the money. The cancer center operates with thinner margins and are in a constant battle with medicare/caide paying them enough to keep the lights on. They are doing as best they can to provide a reasonable and cost effective insurance policy to their employees, but they can't just go nuts with high end insurance.

I would also venture to guess that what you're experiencing in IT isn't universally found in the field. It will be entirely corporate size dependent.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

InitialDave posted:

What I mean is that it seems an awful lot of Americans seem to regard it as normal that you have to fill out forms declaring your income etc and making sure what you've paid in tax is correct, and to get a rebate if you've overpaid. Really, only people who are self employed (or otherwise receiving income "directly") need to do that, the average working stiff just gets their payslip with it all dealt with and that's the end of it. "Doing taxes" is completely alien to almost all employees in the UK.

Depending on who you ask (libertarians, others) this is just an enormous construct to generate jobs (the IRS). I think a large part of the reason is the compounding variability of US tax law. I personally would love a flat tax, regardless of source or income level, everyone pay 17% or whatever. But with tax exemptions, rebate programs, variables like dependents/businesses/etc... you have to declare all your specifics before your final April 17th number is hammered out.

edit: for example, I'm self employed with a 1099 income, a retirement income, and a w2 income. Federally, I pay like 32% on the 1099, 15% on the retirement, and i think mid 20's on the W2 job. My wife is a W2 employee, and if you do a W4 correctly, she should only be giving up like 18% or something (which is way wrong). So if you have unique situations you have to crunch the numbers or guess what your witholding should be, and hope you break even or get paid a little at the end of the tax year.

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 1, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Coredump posted:

Flat rate tax is regressive and the low/middle class would pay more of the tax burden.

Why? @17% if you make $20k a year you pay $3400, if you make $2M you pay $340,000. Are you saying it's regressive because there are more people in the under middle class, and therefore collectively bear the brunt of the tax burden? If so why wouldn't that be a more accurate payment scheme? Should people that make more have to pay a higher percentage to carry the lower earners?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

its regressive because those with lower incomes pay a higher percentage of their salary or annual wages in the form of taxes than those with middle or higher-end incomes do.

Wut.
The percentage stays literally the same in a flat tax scenario.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I'll take a step back because I'm #unpopular-opinion.

Can we all agree, however, that before we increase taxes on the upper middle class and higher that there should be some social welfare reform? At least in the policing and administration of the programs so that people who actually need help, get it, and people who are leeching off the system, aren't?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

nope

also thanks to a few whiners we arent supposed to have political chat in here anyway

Fine, I'll just enjoy my investments/ferraris/cokes over here.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Enourmo posted:

No joke: Yes, they're too big. There's a commercially available hybrid motor that's 38mm OD; ideally we'd like to make one in the next common size down, which is 29mm. That tank is 2 inches wide, which is 51mm. My ideal tank is one with that same capacity, but half as wide and twice as long. Our drag margins are super tight, going from 29mm up to 38 decreases our best-case apogee by 1000 feet.

If we can convince our senior design advisers that we can safely fabricate our own pressure vessels it would be no problem, but they have a strong preference for off-the-shelf components already rated to do the job, so I'm strongly looking at backup options.

What about 12g CO2 cart.'s? maybe in tandem if necessary? OD is 18.2mm. Maybe you could turn the neck and thread it for a small ID fitting for filling? Kinda spitballing here.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Previa_fun posted:

Welp I must be an old now because I really really enjoy driving this slow CVT hybrid Honda.

It's like a spaceship though.

One of the best rental cars I ever had was a Ford C-Max circa 2014 or so. In fact we were given a hemi Challenger as the initial rental and after it died in Waikiki we got the C-Max and we loved it comparatively.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

angryrobots posted:

So if you look closely, you'll see the "custom" exterior sun visor made out of sheet metal, with clearance lights. That's home-made. Also the fog lights on bumper, side markers, and diamond plate cladding.

All that is to say...the inside looks a lot like the outside. :v: The owner is AI in his own way.

Everyone needs that weird van period in their lives. The flatter the nose the better.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

angryrobots posted:

Possibly/probably. I had that thought. The wheel arches, door bottoms, and rockers I could see were solid though. If there's rust on the least-difficult section to replace, that's not necessarily a death sentence.

Now that I'm a better computer I'll reply more in depth. Yeah Danny is right, that one looks like a lot of rust - plus side: very few compound curves on eary vans, so if you ever wanted to practice splicing in sheet metal, this is the platform to do it.
Vans are freaking rad. The earlier ones are radder. Danny and I dabble(ed) in 2nd gen Econolines. I wish we had 1st gens, for even more flatnose weirdness.

If that G-van is less than like $1200 I'd probably get it just for fun.

His has a better front end and we paneled/carpeted the inside. Mine we swapped a 5.0HO engine out of a fox body into, and kept the three on the tree.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

At 22:25 an idiot with his GTR blows the motor showing off a "launch" and tries to act like it's no big deal lol.

Right when he starts to do it I'm thinking why are you doing this you're gonna break it, then it's "I just broke the motor, it's gone" :v:

8:20

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm 30, and have only been in two relationships. One for around 8-9 years (small break in the middle, Army), and one since just about last year, in three days. I mean, I knew the person for a few years before that.

I'm not certain, but I think I just got dumped today. It's weird. When this lease is over in February, she is going to move back in with her ex-husband to raise her kids. Separate rooms (like they have been for years, it was a loveless marriage I'm told). It will save 2+ hours of commuting a day that was being done for the kids' school, and logistically make a lot of sense.

However, :smithicide:

On the plus side, I got an 85% on my Biology 156 final today (online course, I did the accelerated 8 weeks versus 16) meaning I get an 88% in the class :unsmith:.

What's now 'til February going to be like?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's when you have her deal with it. If she has a problem with it let her talk to the guy, there's nothing worse than being the jerk in the middle.

Yeah, this. What in the world.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Looks like you wanted "Blew By You" and got "Nantucket Pewter".

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

InitialDave posted:

Just met Hans Rey. Excellent.

No Way!

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

slidebite posted:

Question time:

So my neighbor is a pretty nice guy. Maybe early/mid 30s, hockey coach and he's a pretty well known guy in that field as teams he's coached have won championships. Definitely aggressive with his career and his goal is to be an NHL coach, of which he very well might become one. He and his wife just bought their house shortly after ours. We're not super close, but we get along well, chatted quite a bit and helped each other out around our yards as we were landscaping. We're not incredibly tight by any means, but I would say we are friends. Only a few months after they moved in he got a coaching job out of town. So he is renting a house in that town about 5 hours away, and the wife goes back and forth between there and here. I think it must be pretty tough on the wife because they've got 2 little ones and dad is never home (he seriously hasn't been home here since July) .... although she does go up north to visit quite often. She's quite attractive... I did a bit of a double take when I first saw her, strong Lucy Liu vibe. I've also helped her out a couple times when he's been gone with yard work and stuff. They are thoughtful to me and have repaid me with beer and gourmet chocolates as a thank-you gift for helping them out.

Fast forward to last night, heard a strange vehicle pull up in front of my house, look outside it's a late 90s dodge pick up with lovely exhaust (why I heard it), pulling into neighbors driveway. Dude got out went into their house. Didn't think much of it.... except this AM the truck was still there. Guy actually just left as I am typing this. Same age group and not likely her family (she's asian, dude wasn't). That's sort of, um, odd. I've never seen anyone with a strange vehicle spend the night there before. Actually, I've never noticed anyone spend the night there before.

Question: Mind my own business or next time I talk to neighbor dude some how slide it into conversation? I'm definitely leaning towards minding my own business as I certainly don't know for a fact anything is going on.

Alternatively, I guess I could talk to her next time I see her and somehow mention the truck in the driveway... and see if she has a look of horror come over her face or not, but once again, none of my loving business.

How do you know she's not a hotwife/him a cuckold, or some variation thereof and whatever is completely on the up and up? That's definitely a mind your loving business situation.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Oh god. A cheap, seemingly nice Dodge Raider came up for sale this morning near me with a blown motor.

I have a perfect rebuilt Starion motor in a car without a title sitting in my barn.

Now to convince the wife she doesn't want an $8000 RHD turbo diesel Pajero, but a 190hp 210tq Starion powered Raider!
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/87-dodge-raider82-dodge-d50/6383880289.html

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

General_Failure posted:

Just walked back to my car. Started first go, as predicted. Took a multimeter with me. Battery is about 12.3v so kind of meh. Interesting thing is when it's running the voltage at the regulator is 13.8v and elsewhere it's 14.8v. wtf?

That's not that weird. The charging circuit can get up into the 14's sometimes. My dually loses a lot of power during startup between the glowplugs and massive compression to overcome, so for the first 10 min or so that it's running the dual alt's output 15ish dash indicated and 14.8 through the various engine management monitors I run.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

ALL the colors of a retrowave music video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

Post a pic of these hilariously expensive shoes so we can mock u

Please be those questionably fashioned pump supremes!

• Locked thread