Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

I've been on my company health care plan for coming up on 7 years now, and the premiums have gone up, along with the deductibles and out of pocket and co-pays every year. I guess I just feel like it's terrible because it's the only one I know and it keeps getting worse.

If mine is one of the best, then that is utterly depressing.

Edit: Know also that I'm single, and everything doubles for family plans except co-pays of course.

11 years at my company and never had to pay premiums, but i think that changes soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

I do wonder, seeing as the people we normally get to talk to are at least somewhat intelligent: Does the average American understand how totally hosed their healthcare system is, or the universal self-reporting income tax stuff?

no, most of them don't really. Most people don't like it but a lot of people are terribly misinformed about all aspects of it.

Hell, we have a sizeable portion of the population who didn't understand that Obamacare is the ACA and they like the ACA but hate obamacare. :thunk:

nevermind the fact we have millions of people who say "we have the best healthcare in the world" without a hint of irony

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Why? @17% if you make $20k a year you pay $3400, if you make $2M you pay $340,000. Are you saying it's regressive because there are more people in the under middle class, and therefore collectively bear the brunt of the tax burden? If so why wouldn't that be a more accurate payment scheme? Should people that make more have to pay a higher percentage to carry the lower earners?

its regressive because those with lower incomes pay a higher percentage of their salary or annual wages in the form of taxes than those with middle or higher-end incomes do.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

We don't have flat rate tax here either, the banding is automatically worked out based on your income. But all that bollocks you just described? Done for me. I might have to fill out a form to be checked for eligibility for any benefits I qualify for (I don't), but I don't have to run the numbers myself.

there was an interest in automating personal taxes but it was heavily lobbied against by the companies who sell income tax software.

our country is fundamentally broken.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I'll take a step back because I'm #unpopular-opinion.

Can we all agree, however, that before we increase taxes on the upper middle class and higher that there should be some social welfare reform? At least in the policing and administration of the programs so that people who actually need help, get it, and people who are leeching off the system, aren't?

nope

also thanks to a few whiners we arent supposed to have political chat in here anyway

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think if you're going to propose a radical shift in the way we fund our government's spending you should obligate yourself to at least read and understand some of the criticisms of that system before you even think about suggesting it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress cancer

So sorry

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Jesus Christ. Aren't you leaving the country anyway? Guess you won't have to care anymore then huh.

dont worry he'll never stop posting

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Leaning heavily toward a Fiesta ST. Cost of ownership and fun factor seems to be perfect for me.

how would you know the fun factor of the 135i when you were too much of a weenie to drive it properly :colbert:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's still a really interesting episode, new or not.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

I've been trying half-heartedly to ID these two cars from some reddit post:

Gave up after left wasn't an HHR.

nice overbite :yeah:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slurry_curry posted:

Anyone have a ozone generator recommendation? I have been meaning to buy one for a while and finally have a reason to.

*edit* who needs an expensive cat condo when you just have a bunch of packing paper from amazon orders....

i've got if you want to borrow it you are more than welcome to

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Did you give 2 weeks notice?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
drat, united flew their last passenger 747 flight yesterday and delta (the last US carrier) will cease flying theirs for passengers in December.

end of an era :911:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Will Starbucks follow the trend with a limited time Stuffing Flavored latte?

about 10 years ago when my wife worked at starbucks she accidentally asked a customer if they wanted a Penis Spice Latte :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you don't get the following references you should be banned from AI:
  • I like the tuna
  • Overnight parts from Japan
  • I live my life a quarter mile at a time
  • Too soon, Junior
  • NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWS :kingsley:
  • granny shiftin, not double clutching like you should

please add to this list.

pizza boy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sorry, too busy raging to enjoy anything

can't hear you, stuck too far up my own rear end

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

How's the tunnel vision in there

looks bad todd

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Exactly. My music is all playlists on shuffle. Who listens to full albums?

me

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sigtrap posted:

Why the hell did I move to Seattle? Cool city and all, but I'll need a second job to afford a parking place.

Oh look at this guy over here

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

God drat it. Upon wearing them for two hours I do not like them.

Post a pic of these hilariously expensive shoes so we can mock u

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lol there's a Minecraft movie? poo poo my son is going to make me take him god dammit

Lol, this reminds me that my dad took me to the Mario movie back in the day and holy poo poo that is a bad movie

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cage posted:

Got a new phone two days ago. Essential ph-1. Pretty awesome so far. Today I came to the gym, got on a treadmill and as I went to a slight incline the phone slid right off on the track and shattered the screen.

At least I didn't trade in my old phone. :smith:

gently caress, condolances

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

monsterzero posted:

Everyone knows the best burger is from Burger King. And if you think otherwise you should google 'lèse majesté' before you get thrown into Burger Dungeon.

lmao even if you're trolling this is such a bad take

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I love me a Big Mac now and then, yes I said it fight me.

Had one the other day since I've been on the road and hey sometimes Mickey D's is all you got.

nah fam sometimes you just gotta say gently caress it and shitlist a chain of restaurants. i haven't eaten at mcdonalds in over 20 years.

for the record burger king is far worse and i hate BK more than any other burger in existence

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cage posted:

Nah sometimes you like to feel a couple pounds of food in your stomach like a lead weight, fam.

Don't judge.

:wrong:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Just found me an awesome ramen shop in Virginia Beach and I'm in heaven :allears:

Real ramen is so loving great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

b-b-b-b-b-b-ut her emails! another sterling accomplishment by president shitlord, who will deregulate everything he can to the detriment of every single person in this country

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Ajit Pai is not an individual. He's a collection of cockroaches stuffed into an even bigger rear end in a top hat's skin. Why let a previous telcom CEO lead the FCC?!

Well to be fair Tom Wheeler was a lobbyist and industry guy but he clearly did the right thing

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice choice, manual or auto?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
finally after like 18 months+ aCar on android has finally integrated into fuelly

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yup I'm glad that I can finally complete the divorce from Android. I've kept my old phone for a year just to keep my mpg/service logs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rdb posted:

Its ok and thank you. I posted about it earlier this year, and legally, I can’t go into details yet. His birthday and thanksgiving were quite rough.

My wife and I decided to try again, and shes 13 weeks today, a healthy boy so far. So its not all doom and gloom.

i remember you mentioning it last year but congratulations on the good news!

wife wants a second kid and i dunno if i can handle it, i'm exhausted with one

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Gov 101. Lives are secondary.

Sorry for the politics detail to follow.

:jerkbag:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

We got a turkey from the local god-tier barbecue shop. They sold out their pre orders in five days around Halloween. Took another 45 minutes of waiting on Thanksgiving itself since they weren't quite warming up in the smokers as fast as expected, so it literally was straight from smoker to car to table to stuffing all of our faces.

It was amazing. Hell, my kid wanted leftovers from it two nights in a row.

i smoked a turkey on my egg and everyone liked it

except me, i liked the homemade stuffing and homemade gravy way more than the bird

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

Delusional. Companies have become delusional.

I was heavily recruited for a major hotel company who in nominally were trying to fill an IT director position. Well and good, but what they were really looking for was an entire team of people rolled up into one body and offering pay equal to 1/4 of a director.

I told them good luck with that, I'm not your guy.

This was 18 months ago and they're still interviewing.

18 months? that simply means they dont really need someone to do that job! :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sketchers fall apart way too fast imo, terrible fuckin shoes for the money

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

What Darchangel said. Why would I stress myself the gently caress out for $12hr when I could go to Chik-fil-a and fry chicken for the same amount with literally no stress and free chicken sammiches.

well for one, stinking of fried food is terrible, especially chicken

i mean it's great to eat but you dont wanna have that stank on ya

in other news, i witnessed a 30-something year old adult male using a razor scooter to get from the factory to the parking lot and realized it's absolutely surreal to see someone that old using one

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Exactly.

That being said, my wife is a nurse so we use the insurance through her workplace because it's v good so it would still be kind of a raise for me, but i like to assign a fiscal value to things i do and have at work. For instance, my ability to come in any time between 4a and 10:30a is worth $10,000 to me because the missus works midnights and as such i'm routinely up until 4a. A close drive is worth probably $10,000/yr to me because i loving hate driving and it costs me $130/wk to fuel my current 40mi/day commute. Being able to wear jeans and t-shirts is worth $5,000 to me because now I dont have to update my wardrobe with nicer clothes that cost more money, i dont have to spend 10 minutes picking an outfit in the morning, and im wicked fuckin comfortable while chilling in my hoodie/tshirt/jeans at my desk. then theres smaller stuff like "does the office provide free snacks/soda/coffee/have a good environment, so for me that means i'm willing to make up to around $20k less than the market average, or a $20k raise from my current, to be tempted to take a different job than what i currently have

so if some company down the street from my house offered me a job for $30k less than market average but with all the perks that i currently have, it'd be hard not to take that.

oh, they still do. gently caress amazon forever, their work environment and structure sucks rear end, their pay is mediocre when factoring in the fact that they expect 10-20hr of over time every week, and jeff bezos can eat my anus

how the hell are you spending 130/week on gas to drive 40mi a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

I drive 52 miles one-way to work. It takes about 90 minutes on average one way, thanks to a long stretch of bumper to bumper traffic on I-10. The Focus ST still manages to average 28mpg over the tank of gas, although the stop and go stretch is obviously worse than that. I am fairly stunned how terrible the Saturn does.

i'm averaging 28mpg hauling rear end in my gti 50 mi/day

getting up at 4am sucks though

• Locked thread