Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I like the way November is looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they trained me here first :colbert:

I think you meant to say "Eazy taught me."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seminal Flu posted:

I like the way November is looking.

And I just got back from urgent care after my wife decided to play volleyball and rolled a baseball-sized lump into her foot. At least it's not broken.

Falling back on "if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough" house rules.

I don't know about November...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It also involves digitally lowering the tone of the speaker's voice, which makes it unwatchable. You have fun with that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Not even 15 below and the diesel in my fuel filter bowl looks like pudding. I just fueled up 2 days ago after holding out as long as i could for the winter diesel changeover and apparently didn't make it :shrug:.

Did the snow end up coming through like you thought it would?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

I don't think it was 5 days ago i was out on a green lawn cleaning the yard up for winter.

:drat:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mekilljoydammit posted:

zomg it's happening... huge thanks and kudos to Nitrospazzz for picking this sucker up.

Nice! Now how do you incorporate or pull the data from it? Is that just the mechanical portion?

In other news, sometimes reddit isn't a complete cesspool. Here's 850hp versys 10,000hp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6n28JJAaAo
and

reddit posted:

Here are some cool facts about top fuel dragsters.

I found this article on the internet a while ago and this seems like a good place to share it.

TOP FUEL DRAGSTER FAST FACTS:

ACCELERATION PUT INTO PERSPECTIVE

• One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.

• Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes about the same amount of jet fuel with 25% less energy being produced.

• A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

• With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

• At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane, the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

• Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

• Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

• Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

• If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

• Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.

• In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.

• Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

• Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

• The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

• THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter-mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 MPH (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03, Doug Kalitta).

Putting this all into perspective:

Lets say the you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin turbo-powered Corvette Z06.

Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass by it. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. Just as you pass the Top Fuel Dragster the 'tree' goes green for both of you.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within three seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it---from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH and not only caught you, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320-foot-long race!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KakerMix posted:

Decided to sell our SC 300, posted it in the marketplace thread here, goons get first crack before we offer it up anywhere else.
Even though it has a 5 speed manual there is something about it that just doesn't click with my wife and I, she'd rather drive her 91 Tracker and I'd rather drive my 90 Acty. Not-power-assisted-steering, early 90s Japanese econoboxes :v: We are going to see what it's like using the 1990 Toyota Crown ~Royal Saloon~ Wagon we have on the way though, no pretensions of performance there just big smooth well-built comfort in a fat wagon form.

Sorry Applebees Appetizer, we didn't fall into the Lexus dream :(

Man, I went straight to the listing to see, but it's priced top of the market. Excellent platform to work with and I'm sure you'll get the money, good luck with the sale!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

^^^ Pretty much.

One of my old managers from Whole Foods (he doesn't work there anymore either) had commented on my Facebook post about getting rehired last week... I sent him a message telling him what happened, he fired back with seeing if he can get me an interview with the place he's at now (catering), and he's opening a restaurant of his own next year. I knew him long before Whole Foods though; I think I met him in 1998 at another job, drifted apart, then ran into each other again when I got hired (the first time) at WF. We've stayed in touch since then.

That'd be awesome if you could parlay that lovely goony experience into something productive!

slurry_curry posted:

Anyone have a ozone generator recommendation? I have been meaning to buy one for a while and finally have a reason to.

On the ozone generator front, I bought this a couple years ago for $50: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GS5L08

For some reason, they don't sell on Amazon anymore, you can buy the same thing here: https://www.foreverozone.com/online-store/Foreverozone-10-000-mg-h-Solid-State-Ozone-Generator-p83457972

It's a sketchy homemade thing with Chinesium panels, but works great. Smelly cars are done with one or two 30-minute treatments. I'm driving a car that was HARD CORE smoked in (brown headliner, etc), and there's no trace of odor... it's pretty amazing.

Amazon has this with the same output spec for $32, so maybe it'd work? https://www.amazon.com/ATWFS-Portable-Ceramic-Ozone-Generator/dp/B01M9K97C

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 8, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'd never heard of TheWorkNumber before... looked it up... god drat, commercial Equifax.

That's frightening and shouldn't exist.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

This, but it'll be okay. You're on the right track with school/career, you've seen that there is life after a long relationship, buckle up for some emotional waves and you'll be okay.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DJ Commie posted:

More like the non-colorblind person should pick the color. :wtf:

This was my thought. TT, does she KNOW that you're colorblind? If so, how could she let you pick the color?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Previa_fun posted:

CVT or MT? My wife's is a CVT and I surprisingly really enjoy driving it. It's slow but doesn't have any trouble keeping up with traffic and jumping from lights to <45mph or so. It's a bit loud on the highway though. It seems like it'd be really fun with a MT in the "slow car fast" sort of way.

The scary thing about this is that more and more of us in AI are on the "CVT is not poo poo all the time" boat. I never would have thought that, but the CVT/turbo motor combo of my wife's Juke is absolutely entertaining. I'd prefer it with a manual, but the CVT is simply not a detriment.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Y'all are salty and argue-y today.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Shut up no we aren't :colbert:

drat, let it go. Reported for crusading.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

sigtrap posted:

Why the hell did I move to Seattle? Cool city and all, but I'll need a second job to afford a parking place.

Because circle houses are terrible.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You Am I posted:

Yay for Australia doing something right for once.

Found a photo of my first car last night, KE30 Corolla. Slow as gently caress, and pretty rusty as well:

My Corolla was a little bit newer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Maksimus54 posted:

Yeah the median home price in Seattle is north of $700k so it's not like his mortgage would be cheaper.

But at least with a mortgage, you're building equity in something (provided you didn't do something stupid with your loan).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Music chat:

I was recently played this by a friend and it's been a while since I've been dumbstruck laughing by a band. It pretty much defies description. I'm not entirely sure I like it but it sure is interesting.

https://youtu.be/UBakgOHKI-g?t=5m50s

Batshit.

Sounds like They Might Be Giants from 15 years ago.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:911:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/17/us_military_spying_archive_exposed/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Oh no, oh mayhem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuN421qNmxE

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i havent used cash in probably five years.

Yeah, it's weird teaching kids about cash when they never see me with any "hand money."

Cash is for poors.

In other news: I've been fighting with WOW cable for a week. For the past year-plus I've been getting speed readings of 65/66mb. Repeatedly. Month over month. November 10 they had internet service down for maintenance and, ever since then, I haven't seen over 62, with most readings in the mid-50s and down to 49mb.

Now I'm paying for a 60mb package, and just three months ago I re-upped with a long-term contract. Then they cut my speed by 15-20% and say "oh well, you're still getting your rated speed within our parameters." That's not okay. When I re-upped, I assumed that the service would continue as it had been provided.

They've since put me in the outsourced-only phone support box and the "executive support" person that's ignoring the issue doesn't know that I have the number for the executive assistant for the CEO. He'll know that soon. :D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 20, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

so far i've loved wow. 100mb down/10up with the medium cable package for $99/month for three years. hopefully in three years I'll be able to finally convince the missus to get rid of cable so i can get the 500mbps down/50mbps up package that's $80/month or $120/month with the small cable package

I've been with them for several years and, other than a continual uptick in billing that needs bitching to bring back down, they've been fine. Zero complaints about uptime and service, until now. One of the answers that I got was that I was just "lucky" over the past year to get 66mb. :jerkoffsmilie:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sorry to disrupt clogged artery chat, but for those that have a Meijer store nearby, they have a stupid-good deal on microfiber towels.

They have Grab-A-Rag boxes at $14.99 BOGO, so $15 gets you 100 microfiber rags. I picked up a couple boxes yesterday, getting a couple more today.

Here's the same thing at Amazon, with camel saying the lowest price it's been there is $16.50/box. https://www.amazon.com/Grab-Rag-Reusable-Detail-Microfiber/dp/B06XTZK6G8

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Is it getting political if I just want to curse and yell about this net neutrality repeal?

That's not political, it's asinine. I'll allow it. But I have no say in it, so welp.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

This motherFUCKER

wut?!?!?!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

so should all means of production

Now THAT is politics. And I can sum up any argument that follows by saying "most theoretical forms of government are viable only in theory. In actuality, the ideal gets all hosed up by corruption and greed and ultimately results in revolution."

Also keep in mind that the longest-lived modern government is a constitutionally-backed monarchy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

We see the world through glasses with lenses we are completely in control of. A lot of people just don't realize it.

I generally choose to see individuals as inherently good, and they usually live up to it.

Individuals are one thing, governments are something else entirely.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Happy Thanksgiving jerks!

I was just about to say the same thing, except with "nerds" as the pejorative.

Happy Thanksgiving, nerds.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Enourmo posted:

My mother doesn't know how to answer simple questions. I call to verify that she's ready to place the order for parts for her new computer she's having me build, and she launches into this 10 20 30 minute lecture of the calculus of her excel spreadsheets and tax writeoff optimization and why she wants to wait for the next billing cycle or maybe order the couple parts with black friday deals and then wait until she decides whether or not to ask for a pay advance yadda yadda yadda.

All of which can be summed up as PLACE ORDER Y/N.

God bless 'er.

Why would you self-build a budget PC? Out of the box will be much cheaper and just as serviceable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's too bad F1 can't make things more competitive, the last 3 races seem to happen after the championship has been decided.

F1 has been terrible for a few years. Mercedes, for whatever reason, operates like its cars are in a different class. It's like watching 3 classes of cars race at the same time. It's terrible and sad. But next year, they get unicorn horns, so... welp.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I worked at KFC frying chicken when I was a kid and it was the most stress free fun job I've ever had :shrug:

[e] plus I ate whatever the hell I wanted too, and took chicken home daily.

Dream job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

If you blurt out horrible poo poo to your SO just because you're mad you must not have wanted to be with that person anyway tbh. And that goes both ways.

It's called having respect for the person you love. If you can't do that then you will never be able to sustain a long term relationship.

Leica's on a roll with "right answers" lately!

• Locked thread