Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bolind posted:

My three weeks old son just looked my dead in the eye and then expelled an eight second fart. Never blinked. Never looked away.

I bet you felt an incredibly proud father at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGVK4ibMI-Y

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

This is not D&D.

So how much do you guys pay for AAA or the like?

(Healthcare discussion, but for cars not people)

E: genuine question, I am interested. Ł59/year to cover me in any vehicle towed to nearest garage, Ł109 with recovery to any location of my choice.

spog fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 1, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Are your AAA guys just random, approved local garages or dedicated technicians

We have the AA Man and they are generally well-regarded by users.

http://workshopmagazine.co.uk/2015/12/23/aas-max-is-king-of-the-road/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

On a more general sport chat, I always find it odd when things that are judged are called sports, rather than competitions. To me, if the victory conditions aren't an objective, measured metric, it doesn't... count. You lifted more. You did it faster. You did it in fewer shots. You knocked them down and they didn't get back up. And so on. If it's down to someone's judgement of how well you did, how do you know the winner is the best at the sport?

It's like I regard powerlifting as a sport, but bodybuilding isn't, even though the activities done to make you better at it are very similar. Mountain bike races (DH/XC) or trials, yes. Dirt jumping, no.

But I don't seem to mind when something that would be a sport is done noncompetitively is called a sport, even though my mindset is it's just what you do because you like it.

I also don't get how people think that not calling something a sport is somehow a lese majeste problem.

The European Court of Justice has, after months of deliberation, just ruled that Bridge is not a sport:

quote:

Bridge “involves logic, memory and planning, and may constitute an activity beneficial to the mental and physical health of regular participants”, but it is not an actual sport, the judges ruled on Thursday. “The court concludes that an activity such as duplicate bridge, which is characterised by a physical element that appears to be negligible, is not covered by the concept of ‘sport’”, they said.

Seems like a good use of all those legal minds.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

They backed it up with the "your old store marked you ineligible for rehire" line, which was even more out of left field (and cuts off any chance of disputing what they said). I'll admit I was going through a rough time when I left, but my dept manager told me he'd make sure I was eligible for rehire. :smith:

Could you find your old manager and get him to confirm this?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Last I heard, he didn't work for the company anymore. I still have the email from him confirming I was eligible for rehire, but I don't think that'll do much good at this point.

If you want to pursue this and you don't mind playing the card - you could call HR and tell them that you are concerned about the hate call that was done to stop you working there and that you worry it is related to your sexual orientation and could they tell you more about it.

Then, in the conversation you mention that you have written proof that you are eligible for rehire.

Any HR drone who has been on a course in the last 10 years really should pause at this point.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

about 10 years ago when my wife worked at starbucks she accidentally asked a customer if they wanted a Penis Spice Latte :v:

And that's How I Met Your Mother.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I honestly believe that car insurance and airline flights both claim to use clever algorithms to justify their prices, but actually it's just a bunch of random lists mashed together without any coherence.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Oh yeah, I remember a few of mine:

Add less experienced driver to policy: premium goes down.

Add safety feature that reduces chance of accident: premium goes up

Engine swap with double the bhp, but the same cc: premium stays the same.

And my favourite fully comprehensive < third party, fire and theft only.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm 30, and have only been in two relationships. One for around 8-9 years (small break in the middle, Army), and one since just about last year, in three days. I mean, I knew the person for a few years before that.

I'm not certain, but I think I just got dumped today. It's weird. When this lease is over in February, she is going to move back in with her ex-husband to raise her kids. Separate rooms (like they have been for years, it was a loveless marriage I'm told). It will save 2+ hours of commuting a day that was being done for the kids' school, and logistically make a lot of sense.

However, :smithicide:

Not sure how much more certain that could be unless she gave you a t-shirt with 'single' on it.

Condolences.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Voltage posted:

So I'm going to Vegas for my 30th and I'm going to rent a cool car for a day to drive out in to the desert -

What should I book -

2015 Aston V8 vantage GT auto for $300 but only includes 100 miles, $1.25 per mile over

2017 Challenger scat pack manual for $180 with 350 miles

2016 Vette z06 w/z07 manual for $500 and 100 miles, 1.75 per mile

They all sound kind of awesome but the Challenger seems like such a bargain. I DD an na Miata and Jetta so anything will probably feel fast however...

Personally, I'd go for the Challenger only because 100miles isn't much for a day in the desert and range anxiety would spoil my enjoyment.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

So I mention the offence of obstructing a highway, that the road being adopted gives it the status of highway, that the fine if a complaint is made and upheld is £1k. Also good neighbour is a real paramedic and you just delayed him going to a call. That someone just like him saved my dad's life just a few months ago.

Fine is paid by the registered keeper of the car in question buddy. I've already taken photographs, driver then jumps the fence and starts to thump the poo poo out off twat neighbour before apologising profusely to me and driving off.

So, he didn't care when he was blocking a paramedic on an emergency call, only when there was the threat of a fine?

This is why I hate people.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

At first he didn't believe it was a real paramedic, then yes he seemed more concerned with the fine. Good news is that even twat neighbours friends now hate him, hopefully even more so after paramedic neighbour lodges his official - "I was on a call" with dashcam footage - complaint

A good time to nail that fucker to the wall as this poo poo is in the news today:

(bonus 'I am going to start running with scissors' pic of the paramedic involved)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

KakerMix posted:

This poo poo takes so long but boy what a cool-rear end insurance card. Now I can plate the things.

Hopefully the misspelt manufacturer won't get your car impounded by a cop in a bad mood.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

KakerMix posted:

The import paperwork said 'Faihatsu Rugger' and if that's good enough for the Department of Homeland Security then it should be good enough for a cop :colbert:
Although when I get back from the DMV I will be calling my agent up to fix it. I still trip up on Daihatsu spelling.

Those are the people who impounded a bunch of Land Rovers because they didn't know the difference between a 1983 and a 2000 car and didn't understand that you need look at all the digits in a VIN, not just the last 12?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

nm posted:

Wasn't it just advisory?

I don't think they made it compulsory.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That they would make a movie based on an old rear end video game that no one cares about?

I'm surprised that we haven't seen Bitcoin the Movie, yet

spog
Aug 7, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

A better idea is the Icelandic system

Jón’s son = Jónsson
Jón’s daughter = Jónsdottír

I guess some use the mother’s first name for the daughter and the fathers first name for the son but it varies

Jón’s grandson = Jónssonson
Jón’s granddaughter = Jónsdottírdottír

Jón’s great-grandson = Jónssonsonson
Jón’s great-granddaughter = Jónsdottírdottírdottír

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Can I get a 'gently caress yeah, it's not cancer' ?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks.

Odds were always very much in my favour, but not being able to tell anyone you were waiting for results, means that you don't get to celebrate when they turn out good.

:havlat:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sorry I skipped the last 6 pages and have been busy with life.

I have awesome news that the wife says I'm not allowed to share, but that doesn't mean you can't guess.

Is it a pony?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well... I suspect I have seriously hosed up.

Is that: 'I bought yet another restoration project to go with the two already on my drive, despite getting an ultimatum to not buy any more broken vehicles'?

Or

'How do you hide a body?'

spog
Aug 7, 2004

User Error posted:

A guy at work had a heart attack today and I used the AED on him and he came back to life. It was weird.

He blacked out while driving a forklift with his foot on the gas and hit a semi truck about 3 feet from the fuel tank. Could have been much worse.

I dunno, I don't post here much and y'all don't know me but I had to tell someone. People keep telling me I did a good job and saved his life but it feels weird. I don't like being the center of attention and I feel like I just followed a few directions and pushed a button.

You saved a man's life.

Even if you don't think you did much, you did. Because of you, Tiny Tim will not go hungry and fatherless this Christmas and for many more to come.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Yeah it turns out there are no real adults, just people who pretend.

Me, since about age 26 onwards.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Hm

Not exactly CT level drama or impact (no hard meaning with "drama," I know it's used more often sarcastically), but this slays me.

Picked the wrong month to stop drinking. Just got this text randomly midday today.

Let me help you save some typing. Simply cut and paste this into your messaging app:

'Let's stop pretending and make it every night'

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I mean, yes, but I still have this lease and no moving money. It's 1200/mo and I pay 400 and choice bills. Gotta make it until tax time.

'Let's stop pretending and make it every night. I'll get a new place as soon as I can, so you only have to cover your share of the rent til then'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

'PS. I faked all my orgasms.'

• Locked thread