Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cursedshitbox posted:

IMO more people should try poo poo like this. You haven't lived until you spend time in a place where you speak fuckall with the natives.

TBH I've not really had any huge issues with only being a native English speaker when traveling for extended time - usually I've been able to make myself understood.

The only place I have had severe problems was Miami. Even loving Finland I was able to work out how to communicate with non english speaking Finns but for fucks sake the amount of people in Miami who I could not communicate with on any level blew my loving mind.... and some of them DID speak English. Even in Spanish speaking areas of SoCal were far better than that shitfest. I found the housekeeper of the hotel I was at wasn't too bad but my guess is she was used to communicating with non Creote(sp?) speakers so she had some clue how work with a Aussie with no bilingual skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

That doesn't win any races though... drat, I really am doing this all wrong.

As long as it reads consistently, it's no problem. Disney Dyno time!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

The scary thing about this is that more and more of us in AI are on the "CVT is not poo poo all the time" boat. I never would have thought that, but the CVT/turbo motor combo of my wife's Juke is absolutely entertaining. I'd prefer it with a manual, but the CVT is simply not a detriment.

Granted most CVT's are turds still (Looking at you, Mitsubishi) - but yeah there's no denying some CVT's arent bad anymore.

quote:

Subaru is doing the fake gears thing in their CVTs which I get but whatever

The default behavior of CVT's doesnt work well with a petrol internal combustion engine - you want the revs to change to suit the circumstance. As a result even in the leave it alone mode, the gearbox isnt a shitshow.... in from my experience the turbodiesesl and the WRX/Levorg really do work quite well. The NA's are still hosed in the head tho - but overall I personally think the fake gearing modes make for a much better to use gearbox.

A turbdiesel seems to fit a CVT really well, that's I think now a given.

quote:

I still prefer a MT but I wouuldn't turn down any modern automatic these days. We're getting old, AI.

Dunno if we're getting old or it's more autos have gotten really, good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you don't get the following references you should be banned from AI:
  • I like the tuna
  • Overnight parts from Japan
  • I live my life a quarter mile at a time
  • Too soon, Junior
  • NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWS :kingsley:
  • granny shiftin, not double clutching like you should

please add to this list.

gently caress no those movies are pure loving crap. I do my deed to honour him and worship on the altar of the V8, witness me oval office as Im on the Fury Road

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Well, considering that a fair number of religions refer to it as self-abuse, not really. See also: beating the bishop, flogging the dong, beating the meat.

Choking the rubber chicken

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Australia votes yes for same sex marriage.

Well I am surprised and gladdened. We're not entirely stupid

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Wasn't it just advisory?

Almost all politicans are basically saying that they will vote Yes / No as per their electorates did. Basically a Pebisicte may not be a compulsory referendum but there will be utterly hell to pay in such a way that it may as well be a compulsory direction to politicans to "gently caress you, you have no excuse get it passed now DO IT"

There's pretty much nothing the no camp can hang their hat on with this - massive resposnse (79%), Yes in all states, Yes in 135 out of 150 seats, only inner west Sydney the ONLY area that voted no. Which suprised me, I thought it would be the rural areas but nope, that carried yes. My seat was 63%

So yeah, it will be VERY politically dangerous to go against this survey and not act fast, when the results are this clear.

SSM bill will be introduced to parliament this afternoon (the Smith bill that is being put forward is sponsored by all sides of parliament) and it will be forced through before Christmas.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Good. And loving funny hill to try and die on too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ya'll following car 80 at the WRC this weekend?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I never expected that in the WRC service park a 6 year old niece would be loudly critical of my ability to draw unicorns. But here I am training said niece to help work on the car and I get taught to draw ponies and unicorns in return

And trying not to laugh as she stamps her foot in a mock tantrum as she tells me I forgot the mane again

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Im like 48 year old curmudgeon with no kids ...how would I know about ponies and unicorns?

I have enough trouble understaining Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash let alone Pinkie Pie and wait her favorite pony turns into some dark version anddddd AGH WTF I can name more than three My Little Ponys

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Uhg. 1 stage left amd we have panel tools out to fix a mess

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Malcolm.

GG if Angus died Australia would burn itself to the ground in honour> And if your not playing Back in Black right now, you are simply not Australiain you oval office

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Oh my good fuckin god.

An old friend of mine is getting married and honestly I never thought he'd find a woman able to put up with his poo poo. But what makes it notable is that his fiance has convinced him to combine their last names. I won't put his real name but here's how it breaks down.

His last name - Brand
Her last name - Anderson
New last name - Branderson

The hell man?

I cant raise even the slightest pretense of caring about that TBH. His choice. Happens plenty of times anyway

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It's not much better. His family is PISSED judging by the FB comments.

His family are being idiots. Seriously, who cares?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Family pride is important to a lot of people. Continuing the family name and such.

Family pride can go get hosed.

That and the fact I have a beer (yes, I really am having alcohol) on my desk at work at lunchtime should be an adequate hint of the last 24 hours.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

WRC with the new cars was very good this year.

In person they are a mindfuck. I said earlier it's liek Group B reborn - I withdraw that because the new cars just simply do thing no rally car before them could do with some amazing agility, these cars are something truly new and exciting. I've seen Group B cars at full tilt and the noise is shockingly amazing.... tht's the only thing they have on the new cars.

Everyone needs to get up close to the new cars before they get banned. They are THAT fast, I cant see the formula existing for too many years.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well... I suspect I have seriously hosed up.

*shrug*

It is what it is now. I am single now so Ill just deal

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

spog posted:

Is that: 'I bought yet another restoration project to go with the two already on my drive, despite getting an ultimatum to not buy any more broken vehicles'?

Or

'How do you hide a body?'

Neither this time. Broke up late last week and I think I seriously said something completely wrong and hurtful to someone else that I will deeply regret.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Hasn't everybody done this at least once?.

Just once? I cant even think of how many times Ive done it

quote:

Just apologise and give it time and try to get on with everything else and try not to do the same thing again...

I wish it was that straightforward.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

CT said it was to someone else. IE broke up with partner already, maybe took it out on a 3rd party.

If anyone thinks I blurt out horrible things to a partner then they truly know gently caress all about what I am really like and can go gently caress themselves with a barbed wire baseball bat. The speration is peaceful and mutual due to her and I going to totally different directions in life. I'm not going to pretend it's easy or the next few months I'm going to struggle to even find a place to sleep for more than a fe days at a time but it is what it is. The cats and cars are being looked after.

I said something I deeply regret to someone else. I'm trying to apologise but they aint listening right now. I just will have to live with the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

And just as I posted that they replied and said there was another reason that I didnt expect why they didnt want to talk.

• Locked thread