Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Locator posted:

Wow.. does your insurance plan not have a 'max annual out of pocket', or is it just stupidly high? I believe mine caps out somewhere around two grand, but my deductible is 800, so only another 1200'ish after paying my deductible I hit max out of pocket and everything goes to 100% covered. I guess I'm lucky in that I've never hit it, but it's nice to know it's there if something like what you are going through ever happens.

....you have really good insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

drat that's hosed up about the phone call. I was about to say, "probably someone you know on fb who told your roommate or other person", but I forgot you guys have the AI fb page so it potentially could be an AI poster.

That's stupid, I hate people.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You can't fire me, I quit!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I came across this drat van today and I don't know, I kinda like it. '64 G10, straight 6 and 3 on the tree.

It's tagged and cranked right up. I might buy it, depending on what the old guy wants for it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Buy it, that's an awesome looking van!

What does the inside look like?

So if you look closely, you'll see the "custom" exterior sun visor made out of sheet metal, with clearance lights. That's home-made. Also the fog lights on bumper, side markers, and diamond plate cladding.

All that is to say...the inside looks a lot like the outside. :v: The owner is AI in his own way.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dannywilson posted:

Yeah #vanlife is fun for a while but everything under that diamond plate is rust that couldn't be covered by paint. Everything around the driver's side wrinkle is rust. In fact I'll just call it now, it's all rust and you'll never be satisfied again.

Possibly/probably. I had that thought. The wheel arches, door bottoms, and rockers I could see were solid though. If there's rust on the least-difficult section to replace, that's not necessarily a death sentence.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Yeah Danny is right, that one looks like a lot of rust - plus side: very few compound curves on eary vans, so if you ever wanted to practice splicing in sheet metal, this is the platform to do it.

I do, and I'm thinking in the $500 range.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Last night, my kids were being very naughty and never cleaned their rooms all evening like they were supposed to. I told my youngest, no watching the tablet in the morning. It probably wasn't a serious threat, because she likes to get up about 7am and like hell am I really gonna get up and make her do chores.

...I hear the door open at 715, she comes in and informed me that she's already cleaned her room, "sooo can I watch the tablet and have some chocolate milk?"

:stonklol: my little 4yo morning person

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Need to bring a Jeep and marshmallows to really make DJDaddo like anyone.

Maybe steak too.

Nah, really you just need to speak Old White Guy.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ferremit posted:

You know whats a fantastic feeling? Standing at the checkout of the supermarket with $250 worth of groceries and getting your card declined. Because suddenly the account you know always has between $1200 and $2000 in it because its the staging area for the mortgage payment, bills and food shopping has had $1200 drained out of it by some fuckstain who spoofed a credit card number.

So now not only am I down $1200 for the next up to 40 days while waiting for the banks fraud department to work its poo poo out, but I'll have to eat the overdraft fees on my visa card cos I had to blow straight past its limit to actually buy food for the week. Great loving fun when you have a $1000 power bill, $600 rates bill, $300 utility bill for a meter change and house insurance all due within the next few weeks. So long emergency savings!

That sucks man. Your utilities though. :stonk:

If possible, use credit cards and not debit. I much prefer to have money stolen from a CC than straight from my account. ...They always seem to resolve it quicker when it's their money and not yours...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Bolded for emphasis. As a merchant I will tell you why cash. Anyone can dispute a credit card charge. You can walk into Walmart, buy something with your card. SIGN YOUR NAME, smile and wave to the camera and leave with the stuff. You can then call your bank/card issuer and dispute the charge. Your money will be refunded. Every. Time. You can buy something on Amazon, under your account, shipping to your billing address with signed delivery of said product. You can call and dispute that charge and will get your money back every time. This does not include the fact that you are a horrible person for committing fraud.

Who loses? The merchant. Every time. Visa/Master Card/AmEx/Discover loses no sleep over it. They just reach into your account and pull the money out. The merchant is out on the money and out on the product. If you pay with cash then there is no retribution like this, entirely independent of the ~3% processing fees for a credit card.

When people pull that at the company I work for, they flag that person and account from ever paying with plastic again, unless the account changes name. We have your SS# too, bitches.

To the earlier point of "buh your CC# can get skimmed" - yeah it can. So have multiple credit cards (ideally a mix that maximizes available rewards), and a small sum of cash ('walking around money', if you're from the country :v: ). And JFC don't have anything with your SS# on your person unless you need it specifically that day!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...yet they'll happily roll into a pub and spunk £15 on a worse burger with shittier chips and no chance of a decent milkshake.

There is truth in this.

Back when Hardees first came out with the six dollar burger in like 2003 it was pretty amazing. I've tried them a couple times in the last few years and it's not the same at all. ...The smoked sausage egg and cheese is pretty great every once in awhile.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You should ask them how much they like road tolls when traveling out of state.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I hate pecan pie because I hate pecans

Why I never

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Congrats on a baby!

Remember PWAWA. Pregnant women always win arguments.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Nah, just admit defeat when you are wrong (and omg apologize), and stand your ground when you're not.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Work chat: we've lost 4 seasoned employees this year (with 2 more getting promoted into non-field jobs), and have been completely unable to replace them, because our board/ceo/hr (take your pick, if not all of them), is still in denial about wages and benefits. Two more are scheduled to retire next year, and we're already down at least a 5-man crew, even figuring in the 3 completely green new hires.

We're going to catch absolute hell if we get an ice storm this winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bolind posted:

My wife just used the word "schmoo" in conversation. I'm so proud.

What y'all do behind closed doors is your business, man

• Locked thread