Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It is (nearly) November, nearly my birthday. Every year for the past 6/7 years I've thrown pizza parties but this year I just cannot be hosed. What's wrong with me AI? Wed MD says cancer (thought it always says that).

Get your birthday poo poo on enough times by people and you stop giving a poo poo about it. 29th birthday was literally "Ignore Tinal the whole time and then yell at him for being rude because he decided to go home."

I left my 30th birthday before almost everyone else (was originally going to spend the night where it was happening) and the only people who noticed were the ones I drove home. There was a pig roast and everyone had started the party before I even got there (impatient fucks, tell me the right time to show up at then) and I got to eat my birthday dinner alone before going up to join the rest of the party.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dude. That's poo poo. My friends are great but I'm just feeling super lazy about everything this year.

Friends?

Family does this to me.

Friends get me drunk and stoned next time we're all in the bar after my birthday.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is it just me or is it weird that adults throw birthday parties for themselves. A surprise party from friends/family I get, but planning one for yourself? Just seems odd to me.

I have never planned my own birthday and I think the last time I had a good birthday party was when I was a teenager.

My 18th I spent getting lost walking around Toronto, my second day living in that city, trying to enroll in highschool. I went to four different schools and got told to pound salt, got yelled at by my father for not trying hard enough because I was ultimately unable to find a HS that would both give me most of my credits from Florida (I lost like 10 still because of "cirricular differences" and had to take an entire extra year of HS instead of graduating early like I would have in Florda, they made me retake half of grade 11 ffs) and well, enroll me at all. That's the story of the day I legally became an adult. There was no party, in fact I got bitched out for being upset over having spent my birthday doing something futile.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Old Milwaukee is my shame.

Only beer my college roomies wouldn't steal.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That guy making $2m/y is probably paying half that in taxes, even with deductions, he doesn't want to clear $2m, just $900k. His salary reflects the tax rate. That's $1.1m that could've gone towards other people's wages or improved benefits.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
At least keep the straw manning to a minimum.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dagen H posted:

Sorry, I'm broke. :( I'll enjoy it from the sidelines like I do every year.

All you really gotta do is send your Santee a few broken car parts and a candy bar, it ain't hard.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, those wait times... as unreasonable as they seem, would be par for the course here.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

CommieGIR posted:

Metric or Standard?

Fractional cubit triple square fasteners.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Oh hey. open ACA enrollment I wonder what it will be like without the subsidy.

Goes from $30 to $480.

LoL.

That seems totally afforable. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, in Ontario, Canada, Centre of the Canadian Universe and the bar by which all Canadian Things are set: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/it-s-insane-ont-patient-told-she-d-have-to-wait-4-5-years-to-see-neurologist-1.3661114

The consolation prize here is that all healthcare systems suck.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If this patient were in a life or death situation, her wait time would be significantly shorter. Likely months, possibly weeks... after they're dead.

The system does prioritize things, understanding what those priorities are though is an impossible task.

E: Now, if you live in Ottawa and are an elected official, one of their friends, or just plain old loaded, the wait times are basically non-existant.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
To my eyes, which passed a colour blindness test done by my employer (a printing company where colour accuracy is kinda important), that siding colour doesn't look like it matches any of the sample swatches, assuming both pictures were taken in similar lighting. At best it's a blend between the Blue Bayou and Nantucket Pewter. Or the Olde Town Wedgewood colour, which is drat close.

When you said 90s blue, I was picturing that awful light baby blue that people started putting on houses in the late 80s and ran through the 90s.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 10, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
PCOS got shot in the head.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811995&pagenumber=410&perpage=40#post478376934

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Drove to Toronto this afternoon and noticed that gas was cheap in the town about halfway there and made a note to myself to get gas there on my way home because I'd probably have to stop for gas as I started the trip with half a tank or roughtly 20L. Ended up leaving the city around 1am, and every loving gas station on the highway was closed, including the cheap place.

Got about 50km away from home when the low gas light came on and I started freaking out because I kept passing closed station after closed station and I did not want to have to call my brother or my folks at 3am to come rescue my didn't-plan-ahead-well-enough dumb rear end. Needle bottomed out while I still had about 25km to go and by that point I was shifting into neutral while going down hills and coasting to slow down for 50km/h zones instead of braking.

Made it to the city here, prayed there weren't any cops as I let the car hit 2x the speed limit going down the hill into the city so I could coast up to the top of the next hill, thank gently caress there weren't any. Got to the gas station and the car dies beside the pump one foot too far back for the hose to reach.

loving thing made me push it the last loving foot. :argh:

According to very rough conservative estimate math though, I drove about 310 km with about 20L of gasoline, or averaged 6.5L/100km. :smug:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If you're driving something new enough to be (electronically) fuel injected, coasting downhill in neutral actually hurts your mileage. When you're coasting in gear, the ECU shuts off the fuel injectors until you drop below whatever RPM the car maker decided upon (usually just above idle). When you're in neutral, the ECU is keeping the injectors on to maintain idle; when you're coasting, the ECU just shuts off fuel entirely.

There's also the small risk that the engine might stall, which is always fun times when you suddenly lose power steering and power brakes.

... that seems to translate to 36 mpg though, which is pretty impressive. :stare: Hypermiling for the win.

Well you sir have taught me something today. I didn't realize the ECU would cut fuel to the injectors if I just left it in gear, even though that makes sense now that you've said it. My thought was "I don't want to do any kind of braking at all if I can avoid it," and I was letting it hit 120-130 going down hills and not putting it back into gear until it'd coasted down to about 70.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Are 24 hour gas stations not a thing around there?

There are, three in this "city" are 24 hour, but on Highway 10 between Brampton and Owen Sound there are probably 30 gas stations and none of them are 24h as I only just discovered. Admittedly, once I got past Shelburne I saw maybe 30 other vehicles (including here) by the time I was at my house. What I really should have done, since it was so late was hit up a gas station in Brampton but I didn't want to pay 115.9/L when I'd seen 111.9/L in Shelburne, got burned anyways because it was 117.9/L here. :suicide:

Also, the limit for most of Highway 10 is 80km/h. Until the gas light came on I was doing a fairly steady 95-100. The grades aren't so much steep as they are just large height changes and thusly some are several km long, lots of time to build up momentum as it were.

E: Before anyone harps on me for doing 50+ over the limit, I got no excuse. It was stupid, I should have planned things out better so I wouldn't have ended up in this predicament. I am well aware that I am lucky as hell I didn't smack into a deer or blow by a cop.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 18, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Hey, anyone spoken to blk lately? He hasn't posted since mid October or been on the slack he runs.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Culvers isn't bad. Five Guys makes a better burger but Culvers has cheese curds.

Fresh cheese curds? They must squeak!

As a Canadian it is my duty to police your curds.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Got home from work a little after 7am. Did a blitz-cleaning until around 9am when my hydro got disconnected.

Old and crusted*:

New hotness:

*Not busted, fuseboxes are fine, mine was just undersized for 21st century living and had a bunch of double-taps.

E: Ignore the lack of labelling, the electrician is making up a schedule for the new panel and dropping it off tomorrow.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 21, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
rear end in a top hat coworker retired yesterday, and to top it all off, I get his locker. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I would be extremely leery of storing my keyring on a phone.

• Locked thread