Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Magnus Praeda posted:

My last several birthdays have just been my wife taking me out to dinner and either a movie or a show and she usually bakes me a cake. I haven't had a "birthday party" as such since my 21st and that was really just a pub crawl.
Same. My birthday for the last 20 odd years has been going out for dinner with wife and maybe folks, followed by a cake. And that's a maybe. More often than not it's indistinguishable from any other day.

scuz posted:

Welp, got my ankle bill. After insurance, I still owe $4 grand, which is like a month-and-a-half's worth of salary. Spent my meager savings on new tires so I don't die this winter. Time to call em and say "hey so yeah please help me pay you."
Jesus christ :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just walking through Walmart and see an Xbone X on the shelf. WTF is that?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Stove top stuffing flavor potato chips?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Like a PS4 pro. Faster XBone. They tried to make the shortened name "XBoX" versus "xbone" but failed.

Thanks guys. Out of the console loop for a while.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

InitialDave posted:

Actually, a lot don't.

But read what I actually wrote. The car must be kept in the garage, that's fine if it's a condition of the policy. Having it out the garage within a mile of your house voids a theft claim. Not storing it outdoors. Just being out of the garage. That it utterly unacceptable, and loving ridiculous.

So basically your classic insurance=storage insurance?

gently caress you, you can't drive it. Sounds like crazy rich people anyhow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks way closer to that nantucket pewter to me as well, as in, drat near exactly it on my monitor at least. Try not to go dark on vinyl siding if you can, as it heats and contracts, you can be at high risk to develop ripples in it even if installed properly. I had a fairly dark grey on our last house and within 5 years you could see it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Question time:

So my neighbor is a pretty nice guy. Maybe early/mid 30s, hockey coach and he's a pretty well known guy in that field as teams he's coached have won championships. Definitely aggressive with his career and his goal is to be an NHL coach, of which he very well might become one. He and his wife just bought their house shortly after ours. We're not super close, but we get along well, chatted quite a bit and helped each other out around our yards as we were landscaping. We're not incredibly tight by any means, but I would say we are friends. Only a few months after they moved in he got a coaching job out of town. So he is renting a house in that town about 5 hours away, and the wife goes back and forth between there and here. I think it must be pretty tough on the wife because they've got 2 little ones and dad is never home (he seriously hasn't been home here since July) .... although she does go up north to visit quite often. She's quite attractive... I did a bit of a double take when I first saw her, strong Lucy Liu vibe. I've also helped her out a couple times when he's been gone with yard work and stuff. They are thoughtful to me and have repaid me with beer and gourmet chocolates as a thank-you gift for helping them out.

Fast forward to last night, heard a strange vehicle pull up in front of my house, look outside it's a late 90s dodge pick up with lovely exhaust (why I heard it), pulling into neighbors driveway. Dude got out went into their house. Didn't think much of it.... except this AM the truck was still there. Guy actually just left as I am typing this. Same age group and not likely her family (she's asian, dude wasn't). That's sort of, um, odd. I've never seen anyone with a strange vehicle spend the night there before. Actually, I've never noticed anyone spend the night there before.

Question: Mind my own business or next time I talk to neighbor dude some how slide it into conversation? I'm definitely leaning towards minding my own business as I certainly don't know for a fact anything is going on.

Alternatively, I guess I could talk to her next time I see her and somehow mention the truck in the driveway... and see if she has a look of horror come over her face or not, but once again, none of my loving business.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah not touching it. AFAIK it's nothing at all and even if it is its none of my loving business. If he suspects something and asks me if I've seen anything I guess that's different. If I was banging some chick I wouldn't want some neighbor sticking their nose in my business either so letting it be.

Midjack posted:

What benefit do you hope to derive from getting yourself involved? I mean, if she's DTF I guess you could see if you could have a go with her, but that's really about the only thing you could hope to get out of it. I suppose if you think the husband would kick her rear end or kill her or something and you'd find that amusing you could drop the dime too.

Stay out of it.
You're being a bit of an rear end. I get zero benefit out of it either way and possibly only negatives. The question was whether I should let my friend know his wife might be getting nailed by some other dude in his bed.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 11, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

puberty worked me over posted:

$140 buys you the only non-trash non-oem head unit for flash storage navigation, the Continental TR7411U-OR, found on the Rennlist forums of all things. I'd kill for a 90s toyota green backlight.

That's exactly what I was going to recommend. The Stuttgart guys love them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pope got a cool new set of wheels

Which he is promptly putting up for auction to raise money for parts of Iraq destroyed by ISIS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Went down an 80s music wiki rabbithole last night. Ended up at Robert Palmer and checked some of the cites at the end of the article. Came across a guy that tracked down, reunited and interviewed the models from Robert Palmers addicted to love vid a few years ago.

http://www.noblemania.com/2013/07/the-girl-in-video-addicted-to-love-1986.html

Coincidentally, was talking to a 20-something guy a few weeks ago and he was describing some guy he that had this super slicked back hair. I asked if it was like the girls from the Palmer video... and he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about :bahgawd:

I just assumed everyone knew about that video. Guess not :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Any of you know of an automatic card shuffler that isn't a noisy piece of poo poo? My inlaws both are starting to get arthritis in their hands which makes shuffling difficult (or at least uncomfortable), but they love card games so I want to get them something for christmas to make their lives a little easier... but holy poo poo those card shufflers I see in the stores/amazon are quite literally the exact same things that were around when I was a kid and they were terrible then.

Also, I want to buy quality playing cards but maybe something a little nicer than standard $4 deck at Walmart. Thinking of Theory11 Monarchs or Madison Rounders. Thoughts? I had no idea until last night that quality, quasi fancy playing cards were even a thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wrar posted:

I use my debit card when I need cash and at the bank. That's it.

:same: x3

I take out $100-$200 in cash, generally lasts me more than a month, and then everything else is CC. Heck, the tap poo poo on CCs now is actually faster than debit/cash.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Coredump posted:

I ate so loving much. I'm like 11 months due with this belly.

Also, I know we're not allowed to talk politics but... sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie?

Pumpkin. Absolutely pumpkin. Huge caveat though: needs to be truly home made from scratch....as in, right from a whole pumpkin. None of this canned pumpkin bullshit like most everyone uses, even the "good" store made ones.

The difference is truly night and day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I haven't got any imgur notifications, but my password is an old one that I don't really use on any other sites. That said, I really would like to use a good manager but I'm a little leary of a 3rd party program/app having access to literally my entire online account portfolio including banks, etc.

You guys that are using managers, which ones do you use and how do you like them? Assuming you have access to them on multiple devices, how are they guaranteed secure so the manager itself isn't hacked and then spill the beans on everything you have? Sorry if these are silly questions, I'm not terribly educated on these.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I actively prefer turkey or chicken sandwiches over the main meal. Good bread, mayo, salt and pepper. Nomnomnom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Enourmo posted:

In happier news my sister finished her last round of chemo and seems to be free and clear. Obviously it'll be an ongoing thing but for now things are good.

Good stuff!

Needed some good news in this drat thread. :smith:

• Locked thread