Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

My mums joint gets smashed when it rains. She's at the bottom of a hilly court with a clogged storm drain at the base. Might have to actually sandbag it

Probably a good idea given the stupid amount of rain predicted.

Filling sandbags by hand is a pain in the rear end - particularly if have to dig up your yard cause you don't have a massive pile of sand on hand. Depending on how much cash you have available and the amount of space you need cover I'd suggest just buying a bunch of the cheapest 20kg bags of sand (~$6 each @ Bunnings). That'll be quicker, cleaner and pretty much as effective as actual sandbags. They might not be as flexible as normal sandbags so you'd have to make sure you aren't leaving gaps at edges etc. If that's a real issue then I'd just part fill some plastic shopping bags with a bit of sand and use them to fill the gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Also might be worth getting in contact with Melbourne Water or the council about that drain. Or lawyer up, as I have had friends who have been flooded out of their places due to councils or water companies not properly maintaining their stormwater drains.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'd agree with the assessment that Turnbull's agenda is summed up by Being Not Abbott and nothing else, since being PM is just a prize he wanted. It's not as if he disagrees with Abbott's economic agenda, he was partly responsible for implementing it. Focus on culture wars as distraction from economic vandalism also suits him. He's a nothing man, trying to hold on to the goodies he thinks he's entitled to and they have no real alternative to him. Abbott is crazy but determined, Turnbull doesn't give a poo poo as long as he has the title.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

first dog has even fewer pictures these days

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You Am I posted:

Also might be worth getting in contact with Melbourne Water or the council about that drain. Or lawyer up, as I have had friends who have been flooded out of their places due to councils or water companies not properly maintaining their stormwater drains.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust them to get out there before midday tomorrow though, so get in the hole and dig rather than risk having to fight the shithouse council over it imo.

My roof has been leaking in serious rain for a year due to a balcony drainage pipe above me and the agent hasn't fixed it. They sent some dudes out 4 months ago to look at it and nothing has been done. Looking forward to seeing the steady stream of piss flowing out of my loungeroom downlight for 48 hours.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AussieParlEdits/status/935381910834032640

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Periphery posted:

Probably a good idea given the stupid amount of rain predicted.

Filling sandbags by hand is a pain in the rear end - particularly if have to dig up your yard cause you don't have a massive pile of sand on hand. Depending on how much cash you have available and the amount of space you need cover I'd suggest just buying a bunch of the cheapest 20kg bags of sand (~$6 each @ Bunnings). That'll be quicker, cleaner and pretty much as effective as actual sandbags. They might not be as flexible as normal sandbags so you'd have to make sure you aren't leaving gaps at edges etc. If that's a real issue then I'd just part fill some plastic shopping bags with a bit of sand and use them to fill the gaps.

Call the SES. We love sandbagging. But we love preventing floods in the first place even more. And you'll need way more sandbags than is practicable in that scenario. Tell them the situation and they'll happily come clear the drain for you. Get ahead of the queue.

I am unreasonably invested in this for some reason, blocked drains bother me greatly :(

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Councils here usually make sandbags available at their depots when heavy rain is expected. Try her local council to see if they're doing that too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't trust them to get out there before midday tomorrow though, so get in the hole and dig rather than risk having to fight the shithouse council over it imo.
That's true, but if it is reported to the council before the event then there's a better chance of getting their slammed for negligence with maintenance

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/935955622113157120

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just ignore him

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hobo Erotica posted:

Call the SES. We love sandbagging. But we love preventing floods in the first place even more. And you'll need way more sandbags than is practicable in that scenario. Tell them the situation and they'll happily come clear the drain for you. Get ahead of the queue.

I am unreasonably invested in this for some reason, blocked drains bother me greatly :(

I think the only person at our unit who doesn't loving hate sandbagging is the guy who trains it.

But yeah, sandbags are really time and labour intensive. You can make them a bit more effective by weaving a tarp through the layers too, if you've got the time and one handy.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
thread title for december: No war but Maiwar

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

You Am I posted:

That's true, but if it is reported to the council before the event then there's a better chance of getting their slammed for negligence with maintenance

Well, the last major flood we had was in 2011, and that flooded out the entire house pretty much. New Carpet/Furniture. The council has been contacted repeatedly about the problem over the last 5 years but has done sweet fa about it. They keep trying to handball the problem around because ultimately its a lovely old pipe that was never properly connected to the stormwater system proper. It pretty much takes in all the leaves and bark from the surrounding streets up the hill.

The previous flood, the fence has held back 6 an extra inches of water due to a really well made baseboard but it comes in through the driveway. I figure I can sandbag that up and it *should* solve the issue.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
My Google fu is weak. Does anyone have that image of the lower house voting (during Gillard I'm p sure) on (I'm p sure) indefinite detention of children? The one where the only people voting against are a couple of indies + GRN?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yeah, now that you mention they probably would be happy to do that. In fact it'd probably be refreshing to get a call from someone seeking to better prepare themselves for poo poo to go wrong instead of people calling to say their house is flooding only for it to be caused by gutters that are so full of poo poo that grass and small tress are growing out of them.

Everyone go check their gutters right now.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think the only person at our unit who doesn't loving hate sandbagging is the guy who trains it.

But yeah, sandbags are really time and labour intensive. You can make them a bit more effective by weaving a tarp through the layers too, if you've got the time and one handy.

Yeah, sand bagging sucks. And being that it's loving hot today it'll suck even more.

Also, what the hell. How many SES volunteers do we have here?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
On sky gently caress Matt Thistlethwaite is a mealy mouthed motherfucker

Also the Labor line over Dastyari is "hes paid a heavy price" so expect to hear that a lot

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

asio posted:

My Google fu is weak. Does anyone have that image of the lower house voting (during Gillard I'm p sure) on (I'm p sure) indefinite detention of children? The one where the only people voting against are a couple of indies + GRN?

Phone posting so can’t be very helpful but if you google “house of reps bandt wilkie vote” it’ll be in the first few ones.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

I bet Margie wishes shed thrown his poo poo on the front lawn and given it a once over with the ride-on.

have you heard what the guy says about bad dads and husbands? i'd be relieved just to have him out of the house.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

Phone posting so can’t be very helpful but if you google “house of reps bandt wilkie vote” it’ll be in the first few ones.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Periphery posted:

Also, what the hell. How many SES volunteers do we have here?

Our unit (manly, sydney northern) has almost literally doubled in size in the past year or so, so much so that there is hardly any space in the briefings room any more, so I'll only go to trainings once or twice a month. We haven't had a big event for a while, but when there is I'll usually go down.

May as well plug it, y'all should consider joining. You learn good skills (chainsaws, ropes, etc), get more confident with problem solving, meet good people, and help folk that need it when storms hit. It's a good fun buzz to be out in the truck chucking tarps over people's roofs in the pissing rain.

I love the concept of a standing volunteer civilian work force that can get skilled up and chip in and help like that. It's efficient society-ing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hobo Erotica posted:

Our unit (manly, sydney northern) has almost literally doubled in size in the past year or so, so much so that there is hardly any space in the briefings room any more, so I'll only go to trainings once or twice a month. We haven't had a big event for a while, but when there is I'll usually go down.

May as well plug it, y'all should consider joining. You learn good skills (chainsaws, ropes, etc), get more confident with problem solving, meet good people, and help folk that need it when storms hit. It's a good fun buzz to be out in the truck chucking tarps over people's roofs in the pissing rain.

I love the concept of a standing volunteer civilian work force that can get skilled up and chip in and help like that. It's efficient society-ing.

But imagine how efficient it would be if we privatised it and allowed the free market to provide support

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They changed the recruitment process for the SES so it's all online now.

We've got a bunch of new members thanks to that but it's also increased churn massively.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Called a local ex ses person with like 25 years xp, she reckoned there's sweet fa that can be done at short notice due to the position of the drain, construction of said drain, and the sheer amount of sandbags needed. Also she said the pump you'd need would be huge.

She also stressed to not get into that drain at all ever no no no

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Get in the drain

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
you'll float

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That drain isn't going to clear itself so bloody get in there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

Also she said the pump you'd need would be huge.
That's what the firies are for.

E:
https://twitter.com/1petermartin/status/936042541530587136

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 30, 2017

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Taking bets as to which ex-judge will be appointed to head the Commission.

my bet is Dyson Heydon

also, the first couple of paragraphs of the 'context' section are gold

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 30, 2017

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/AussieParlEdits/status/931342447887646721

Fight the good fight, random ATO worker. I hope you weren't sacked.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/30/malcolm-turnbull-backflips-on-religious-protections-in-same-sex-marriage-bill

Can someone please put this loving puppet out of our collective misery and just loving roll him.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You know what since the media won't do it, I will

SPILL SPILL SPILL SPILL SPILL SPILL SPILL SPILL SPILL

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

tithin posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/30/malcolm-turnbull-backflips-on-religious-protections-in-same-sex-marriage-bill

Can someone please put this loving puppet out of our collective misery and just loving roll him.

He is so afraid for his job he's going to support something that doesn't even matter:

quote:

Despite his move, the Senate bill is likely to have the numbers to pass the lower house unamended, with the Liberal MP Warren Entsch and key crossbench MPs confirming to Guardian Australia they would vote down amendments.

In more cultural maxism news
https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/936043109690904576

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

e: beaten. christ, what a spineless piece of poo poo turnbull is.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

“The reason the amendments, as I understand it, hardly any of the amendments got up in the Senate, is because Labor would not allow a free vote on it”

no malcolm you prick they didn’t get up because they’re lovely loving amendments

how i hate him

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The Before Times posted:

Taking bets as to which ex-judge will be appointed to head the Commission.

my bet is Dyson Heydon

I hope not, from what I hear he sucks pretty hard.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Put your dick in the drain.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey posted:

“The reason the amendments, as I understand it, hardly any of the amendments got up in the Senate, is because Labor would not allow a free vote on it”

no malcolm you prick they didn’t get up because they’re lovely loving amendments

how i hate him

There were like three senators on Labor that might have voted for them and these amendments were going down like 40-12 or something.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Hobo Erotica posted:

Hey SNR buddy. Mosman unit here. :hfive:

I just got my chainsaw accreditation a few month ago so I'm looking forward to chopping some trees laying on crushed BMW's, during the summer storms. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I did my SES stuff in a weird order so I finished storm stuff a few weeks ago after having already done some basic rescue stuff and chainsaws.

Anybody else in Sydney Western?

• Locked thread