Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Tony Abbott never stopped being prime minister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Fanatic posted:

Hey SNR buddy. Mosman unit here. :hfive:

I just got my chainsaw accreditation a few month ago so I'm looking forward to chopping some trees laying on crushed BMW's, during the summer storms. :black101:

Sup! Technically I should join Mosman or North Sydney something as that's closer to where I live now, but I lived in Manly when I joined and I like it down there.

Yeah my training is in a weird order too cos I keep having to miss stuff. I haven't even done storm yet technically. Chainsaw, USAR, maybe comms? I don't even know. We just do random competency stuff most of the time. I want to do boats and floods and swift water stuff.

So good to know there's a bunch of volunteers in here :3:

hiddenmovement posted:

She also stressed to not get into that drain at all ever no no no

*wink, wink*

Also call a current unit silly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-10/adult-colouring-in-helps-women-destress/8010458

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yeah my training is in a weird order too cos I keep having to miss stuff. I haven't even done storm yet technically. Chainsaw, USAR, maybe comms? I don't even know. We just do random competency stuff most of the time. I want to do boats and floods and swift water stuff.
PIARO maybe?

We had a big plan for this training year and then in February / March our area got hit harder than it has in decades (possible longer) and that threw everything out for the first half of the year. Storm was the only big course we got to run but we finally got a chainsaw assessment done too.

Going to be a lot easier now everything can be assessed in house too.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Yes, PIARO! How did you know that?
(participate in a rescue operation)

Yeah pretty glad I don't have to organise any of the trainings/assessments, sounds like a bit of an administrative nightmare. We get there though.

Hahahaha that's great

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yes, PIARO! How did you know that?
(participate in a rescue operation)
I think it was the first thing I actually completed.

We've got a boat too (we're on the river) but it doesn't get used much outside of sporting events etc. Our unit is pretty small, at least compared to the other ones I've seen in SWR.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Just connect a garden hose to the end of a snorkel and jump right in that drain. Make sure you have a sentry or two standing by to jump straight in after you when you collapse as well

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I never would have guessed there would be so many SES people here. :hfive:

Hobo Erotica posted:

Our unit (manly, sydney northern) has almost literally doubled in size in the past year or so, so much so that there is hardly any space in the briefings room any more, so I'll only go to trainings once or twice a month. We haven't had a big event for a while, but when there is I'll usually go down.

May as well plug it, y'all should consider joining. You learn good skills (chainsaws, ropes, etc), get more confident with problem solving, meet good people, and help folk that need it when storms hit. It's a good fun buzz to be out in the truck chucking tarps over people's roofs in the pissing rain.

I love the concept of a standing volunteer civilian work force that can get skilled up and chip in and help like that. It's efficient society-ing.

My unit (SE of Melb) has been recruiting plenty of new members but for various reasons we are getting a lot of churn that makes it hard to get a long term increase in numbers.

I'd second all those reasons for joining. People just need to be fully aware that it can be a pretty full on commitment sometimes and it really have to fit in with your lifestyle for it to work for you and the SES. Getting woken up at 3am randomly isn't for everyone.

I like the idea of the SES but at the same time I think that if our services are necessary (road crash rescue specifically) then they should be provided by full-time paid employees who can commit the time and resources to training and operations. Also the fact that most units rely on tin shaking to generate funding is a loving disgrace.

hiddenmovement posted:

Called a local ex ses person with like 25 years xp, she reckoned there's sweet fa that can be done at short notice due to the position of the drain, construction of said drain, and the sheer amount of sandbags needed. Also she said the pump you'd need would be huge.

She also stressed to not get into that drain at all ever no no no

Yeah, don't get in the drain.

It kinda sounds like your best option will be to just sandbag the doors to the house that will let the water in. Trying to sandbag a driveway will take a shitload of work and ultimately it doesn't matter if your front yard floods. But it's really hard/impossible to give good advice without seeing it in person. As Hobo says, your local SES unit should at the very least be willing to send a few people out to assess your house and give you advice, and potentially they will set up some sandbags etc for ya.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yeah pretty glad I don't have to organise any of the trainings/assessments, sounds like a bit of an administrative nightmare. We get there though.

I can confirm that it is. God help you if you want to go off-site and do anything without having to fill in a bunch of paperwork. At one point we had a guy who organised all the training and he basically quit doing it in outrage and how ridiculous hlf the poo poo you had to do was. Now we all have to do it. :suicide:

Our unit doesn't have a boat or anything fun like that, but we do have cliffs so we are pushing to get accredited for high angle rescue cause it seems kinda stupid not to have it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

tithin posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/30/malcolm-turnbull-backflips-on-religious-protections-in-same-sex-marriage-bill

Can someone please put this loving puppet out of our collective misery and just loving roll him.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I don't like that you are making assumptions about posters witch-status.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gently caress this weather with a rusty rake

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Nothing better than having to put the air con on at 10 'clock in the bloody morning because it's already 35°.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Periphery posted:

I like the idea of the SES but at the same time I think that if our services are necessary (road crash rescue specifically) then they should be provided by full-time paid employees who can commit the time and resources to training and operations.

We have that, though, right? The police and the ambos and fire-ys, etc. Yeah SES is often first on the scene at road crashes, especially in rural areas, and maybe that could be better handled, but the idea of having a force of that size that you can draw on only when needed for major emergencies and signifcant storm events, rather than keeping all those thousands of people on a permanent payroll, I think is eminently worthwhile, and good value for the tax payer. And the fact that they do it out of good citizen-ship rather than for money I think is also a really healthy thing too.

quote:

I'd second all those reasons for joining. People just need to be fully aware that it can be a pretty full on commitment sometimes and it really have to fit in with your lifestyle for it to work for you and the SES. Getting woken up at 3am randomly isn't for everyone.

Or just show up when you can? Maybe its a unit by unit thing , but my experience has always been "we understand people have jobs and families, there is no obligation, we're happy for you to come down when you can".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hawksbury is the only unit in our region that does road crash stuff and that's because their council area is bigger than the ACT.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Hobo Erotica posted:

Sup! Technically I should join Mosman or North Sydney something as that's closer to where I live now, but I lived in Manly when I joined and I like it down there.

In my 3 years I've completed Fundamentals, Comms, Storm, Beacon 101, Traffic Control, First-Aid, Driving Operational Vehicles and Chainsaw Crosscut.

We're short of truck drivers so I want to go for truck licence next, and also map & nav and evidence gathering interest me since I've already participated in a few land searches for missing people. We don't own a boat nor does it ever flood so that's not on my radar. :cheeky:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Nothing better than having to put the air con on at 10 'clock in the bloody morning because it's already 35°.

Just ride it out in your jocks you soft wanker.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can a government request an existing royal commission to expand its terms of reference?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Hobo Erotica posted:

We have that, though, right? The police and the ambos and fire-ys, etc. Yeah SES is often first on the scene at road crashes, especially in rural areas, and maybe that could be better handled, but the idea of having a force of that size that you can draw on only when needed for major emergencies and signifcant storm events, rather than keeping all those thousands of people on a permanent payroll, I think is eminently worthwhile, and good value for the tax payer. And the fact that they do it out of good citizen-ship rather than for money I think is also a really healthy thing too.

In Vic the MFB covers road crash rescue (RCR) in the metro area but outside of that it's CFA and SES with SES being the biggest provider of RCR in the state. I'm not sure how the CFA paid/volunteer member breaks down but SES it'll be all volunteers doing RCR. I just find it ridiculous that something so vital as cutting people out of car crashes is left largely to volunteers, who despite their best efforts and intentions aren't going to be as good as a fulltime service.

There would definitely be some challenges making a paid service given the intermittent nature of tasks.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Or just show up when you can? Maybe its a unit by unit thing , but my experience has always been "we understand people have jobs and families, there is no obligation, we're happy for you to come down when you can".

Oh, we understand that SES is below family/life/work in terms of priority so flexibility is not a problem, but at the same time having people that are reliable in either attending tasks or finding cover is pretty important. But it might be more important for us at the moment cause we are somewhat lacking members (particularly experienced ones) so if two or three people unexpectedly can't show up then it can cause issues. We also run a fairly structured roster of two-weeks-on two-weeks-off where you are generally expected to turn up or find cover.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Tokamak posted:

I don't like that you are making assumptions about posters witch-status.

actually i was speaking as an alien clown-spider that feeds on fear, so check your privilege.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I thought it was because poo poo floats

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JBP posted:

Cannae do that in a big 4 office my dude

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tithin posted:

Cannae do that in a big 4 office my dude

He's obviously not very important if he is manually turning on air conditioning at 10am.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It was raining through the down light two weeks ago so this should be fun

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

It was raining through the down light two weeks ago so this should be fun

:same:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I live in a fibro granny flat with no aircon so I've developed a lack empathy for people complaining about the heat.
My strategy this year is to run in the middle of the day to develop more tolerance for the heat, I'm a prodigious sweater

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ellinghausen/status/936018055980658688

https://twitter.com/srpeatling/status/936018266660618240

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 30, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ewe2 posted:

I'd agree with the assessment that Turnbull's agenda is summed up by Being Not Abbott and nothing else, since being PM is just a prize he wanted. It's not as if he disagrees with Abbott's economic agenda, he was partly responsible for implementing it. Focus on culture wars as distraction from economic vandalism also suits him. He's a nothing man, trying to hold on to the goodies he thinks he's entitled to and they have no real alternative to him. Abbott is crazy but determined, Turnbull doesn't give a poo poo as long as he has the title.

Abbott had the excuse that he was just terrible at everything, not just politics. He couldn't string a sentence together, he had no charm or charisma. I'm not even 100% convinced he can count.

Meanwhile, Turnbull has actually been really successful in other avenues. It's specifically politics he's terrible at.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/Asher_Wolf/status/936103520968654849

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Abbott had the excuse that he was just terrible at everything, not just politics. He couldn't string a sentence together, he had no charm or charisma. I'm not even 100% convinced he can count.

Meanwhile, Turnbull has actually been really successful in other avenues. It's specifically politics he's terrible at.

Its basically this. But distorted under Liberal-logic Abbott was seen as a Bad Messenger and Turnbull was brought in to patch that up. It's not that Abbott's agenda was rejected or anything after he was turfed, I mean you can't really say that they've abandoned it. It's just that Turnbull had goodwill and crossover appeal when he was waiting in the wings whereas Abbott was so transparently evangelical for conservatism that it was repulsive. Turnbull has failed because the mask of competence has slipped, Abbott failed because he was so manifestly a chud they needed to lock him in the attic. The liberals truly believe you can sell any lemon of a car as long as you put the right salesman in front of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah this says he doesn't have a grindr and any mention of it is due to the applicant being a funny clown.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've clicked through but don't quite understand. Where are the actual posts and why can this be found under FOI?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The tweet is gone, it led to this:

https://twitter.com/benrfairless/status/936096937672974336

which linked to this: http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/cth/AICmr//2017/115.html

tl;dr: no evidence whatsoever that Peter Dutton has a Grindr account, it's just something mentioned in the FOI request by that dude because why the hell not.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
See I don't think Malcolm is that bad at politics I just think the task he's being asked to do here is basically impossible.

Imagine you were handed your dream job and then told "by the way, you need to sell this insane, hugely unpopular, toxic conservative agenda being nutted out by a gang of bickering children whose only hobbies include 'cheating on spouse' or 'leaking to the Australian'. If you go against them, the government will collapse and you lose your job, and if you go with them you will get crushed in an almighty wave election of doom and lose your job. BTW you need to tip in like 1.5 million."

People will judge Malcolm harshly for his failure to control his party, and will compare him to the efforts of John Howard in instilling discipline, but come on. Howard's greatest internal adversary was Peter Costello, a middling career politician with such a lack of drive towards the end of his time in politics that he couldn't even be hosed challenging in 2007 when he would have won in a canter. Turnbull had to put up with Abbott, a political attack dog cum culture warrior with a massive grudge to bear.

No one could do this job.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Getting into his situation in the first place means he is bad at politics.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Why would Shorten stand by him? The answer lies in Dastyari's importance in the NSW Right, which is in a constant battle for dominance with Shorten's faction, the Victorian Right. The two factions are rivals but also inter-dependent.

Dastyari, a former general secretary with NSW Labor, backed Shorten into the leadership in his contest against Anthony Albanese in 2013. The integrity of that vote was later questioned, when an ALP tribunal found the mailing addresses for dozens of ballot papers had been altered at the request of one of Dastyari's staff members.

In 2015 Dastyari was given a spot on Shorten's frontbench, despite being a relative newcomer to Parliament. Dastyari is close to Chris Bowen and Joel Fitzgibbon, who lead the NSW Right, and is protected by those relationships.

As one Labor source puts it: "If Shorten were to move on Sam, that would tribally get people upset in the NSW Right, even though a lot of them don't like Sam. Touch one, touch all."

A second Labor source says Shorten is a "transactional" leader who needed Dastyari to shore up his leadership.

"Shorten could sack him from the Labor Party but I don't think he's got the ticker to do it. Bill's captive of the Right, he doesn't have a strong support base, there are not many people who are rusted on loyal to Bill," says the source.

"He wouldn't want to create an enemy in Sam. Sam's not a bad human being, and he's certainly not a Chinese spy, but he doesn't think things through."

A third Labor source is less forgiving.

"It's not a talent or a personality thing, it's a factional thing," the person says of Dastyari.

"The money he got from China wasn't just for himself."

This source points out that of all the recent NSW Labor general secretaries, many have gone on to work for or with Chinese interests. Dastyari's successor Jamie Clements was suspended from Labor for misconduct and established his own legal practice. He has Chinese clients and the Sydney CBD office suite where his practice is based is owned by Xiangmo's company, the Yuhu Group.

Other former general secretaries Karl Bitar and Mark Arbib left Labor to work for James Packer, whose main investment focus is the Chinese gambling market, both in Australia and in China.

Another former general secretary, Eric Roozendal, went on to work for Xiangmo at the Yuhu Group.

All Labor sources contacted by Fairfax Media believed Dastyari's political career was over, that he would be unable to come back from the latest revelations.

"It's just ironic that a member of the NSW Right, which was based on fighting communists in the left, has hit the fence for being too close to the Chinese Communist party," said one.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

hiddenmovement posted:

dog cum culture warrior

You're thinking of Chris Kenny

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Can a government request an existing royal commission to expand its terms of reference?

"The AG's department on the Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption posted:

On 30 October 2014, the Governor-General issued amended Letters Patent to extend the royal commission’s reporting time-frame by 12 months to 31 December 2015, and added an additional term of reference that provides a clearer focus on criminal matters.
from https://www.ag.gov.au/Publications/AnnualReports/14-15/Pages/Part2-PerformanceReports/programme-1-8.aspx

so it seems the Government of the day can, or more properly the GG can doubtless on the advice of the Prime Minister. Sauce for the goose, etc.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SadisTech posted:

You're thinking of Chris Kenny

:woof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I was comparing their motivations, not their abilities. Abbott is in politics so he can save the world for hypocritical christians (ie himself), Turnbull is in politics so he can give himself another medal for Best Turnbull Ever. Just holding on to the job is good enough for Turnbull, for Abbott it offends his self-image to have anyone he disagrees with promoted above him.

hiddenmovement posted:

See I don't think Malcolm is that bad at politics I just think the task he's being asked to do here is basically impossible.

No one could do this job.

John Howard could do it and he really wasn't anything special. That's the sad thing about all this. He was a competent politician, there are no competent politicians left. He had a number of people behind him who helped keep the batshit insane NSW Right under control (equally the largely useless Victorian Right), and he played the Federal Right off each other. He kept the ship upright and sailing and the Right loved it even as he made sure that only the useless would be in any position to challenge him for a decade. So he's partly to blame for the morons in the Federal party at least.

Turnbull never learnt that political nous because he rubbed people up the wrong way from day one. The Right never trusted him, the Moderates wanted to but hedged their bets. No one saw it in their interests to stop him doing the idiotic things early on, the entire party enjoyed him screwing up. And Turnbull is an arrogant egotist who won't listen anyway so this is all a lovely mess for those who richly deserve it except they're running the country now.

• Locked thread