Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

yellowcar posted:

Maybe not. But considering how xenophobic white people get when people don't speak English around them, it's not that far-fetched.

ya I bet Jack Eichel, who by all accounts is a really good kid, is actually a xenophobic white person who is racist against *checking note cards* Swedish people

there's no other explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He is from Massachusetts.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

ya I bet Jack Eichel, who by all accounts is a really good kid, is actually a xenophobic white person who is racist against *checking note cards* Swedish people

:jerkbag:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

du är efterbliven

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
kill whitey?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

du är efterbliven

jag älskar dig också

JawKnee posted:

kill whitey?

yes

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

JawKnee posted:

kill whitey?

Checks out.

Isn't the idea of assuming foreigners are talking poo poo to be definitively xenophobic? Like it's straight up fear over what you don't understand.

Eichel probably meant it as a joke and it's fine, but it seems like one of those underlying things that's considered normal that probably shouldn't be.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

eichel is a trump supporter and doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah man, I’m sure the 20 year old Trump supporting frat bro was just making an ironic joke, there’s literally no other explanation! :jerkbag:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
All in all, a pretty good October for the Golden Knights. November is going to be a different story.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Basically every guy who changed teams on a giant contract in July 2016 is looking like a huge boat anchor now:

Okposo: 7 years $6M per (2 pts in 10 games with Buffalo)
Backes: 5 years $6M per (dead now)
Lucic: 7 years $6M per (can't even score with McDavid setting him up)
Ladd: 7 years $5.5M per (31 points!)
Erikssson: 6 years $6M per (24 points!)
Nielsen: 6 years $5.25M (4 points in 13 games)
Boedker: 4 years $4M per (scratched in the playoffs)
Brouwer: 4 years $4.625M per (he's really bad)
Demers: 5 years $4.5M per (traded)

I can't wait for the amnesty buyouts that come with the 2021 lockout to be used on all these guys if they're still under contract.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I've taught a lot of 'nice' college students who thought it was super okay to be lowkey racist/xenophobic about accents and non-English languages. Eichel could've been making a joke (a joke I've definitely heard inoffensively told by Red Wings throughout the years) but I don't think it's wild to suggest that there's an underlying factor, either. It could be both, even!

ThinkTank posted:

Nielsen: 6 years $5.25M (4 points in 13 games)

Yeah, but he's one of the best 4th line centers in the league.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

White millionaires with barely a grade 9 education.

So, uh, yeah.

Also, those yank sweaters are horrible.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You mean in a game where people chirp and talk poo poo someone might talk poo poo about someone in a language they don’t understand? How is thinking this xenophobic

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
That wasn't even what he said. He just said he doesn't understand his Swedish teammates when they yell in Swedish, and sometimes he wonders if they're talking about him.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
this is a step down from offseason food chat

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Eichel's comment feels pretty harmless and more like a socially inept 21 year old.

Seguin's "We're in North America so you speak English." is the actual poo poo you should be talking.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Shut the gently caress up and please move on thanks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Yaya posted:

Eichel's comment feels pretty harmless and more like a socially inept 21 year old.

Seguin's "We're in North America so you speak English." is the actual poo poo you should be talking.

Not defending Seguin, but Artem Anisimov sort of agreed with this, saying something like he got it because "In Russia, you'd be expected to speak Russian.".

e-

quote:

"Just as if you went to Russia, you are not expected to speak English, you would need to learn Russian," Anisimov said. "It is the same here, where English is the language."

Either way:

Levitate posted:

this is a step down from offseason food chat

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 1, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Seguin owns, no doubt, he just isn't a fit with your culture.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_PGH/status/925772993745293315

But guess who isn't getting scratched?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Not defending Seguin, but Artem Anisimov sort of agreed with this, saying something like he got it because "In Russia, you'd be expected to speak Russian.".

e-

Either way:

Russia isnt exactly known as being a bastion of acceptance and tolerance so maybe using that as an example isnt a good idea.

Tanner Glass Luca Sbisa Ryan Reaves?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Weirdly Reaves has as many points as Hagelin with 2...granted I'm not going to look, but assume his corsi is beyond through the basement (Reaves that is). Hags kinda has Tyler Kennedy syndrome which is unfortunate, but I don't think that's the problem with the Pens right now.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Furnaceface posted:

Russia isnt exactly known as being a bastion of acceptance and tolerance so maybe using that as an example isnt a good idea.

Tanner Glass Luca Sbisa Ryan Reaves?

Yeah it's Reaves. I'd rather have Hagelin for his speed and ability to put that to use even if he doesn't score, but when you've had blowouts like the Penguins I'm not too concerned. It's only November.

Rob Schremp wrote an article before the start of this season where he talked about how his career never really worked out for him. He recalled his time in the KHL and how players from North America were excluded by Russian teammates and how one teammate would yell in Russian at anyone who sat with them before another stood up for them and told them to shut up and be a team. Unsurprisingly they were terrible that year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If someone's gonna be traded, we know who it is.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Seguin and Eichel are both xenophobic, shocking.

Don Cherry would never accept their attitude!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
ewwww, stop getting hockey in my social justice you guys

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I remember when the flyers had defensemen

Pepperidge Farm remembers

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

Hey thanks for getting the Blackhawks out of a slump though!

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

DJExile posted:

Morin and Myers are hurt too. This is literally The Stand.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

Morin and Myers are hurt too. This is literally The Stand.

Gudas is the Trashcan Man.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

clayton keller rookie of the month, 9 goals in a month is the most by a coyotes rookie since selanne.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Matt Zerella posted:

Gudas is the Trashcan Man.

When do they travel to Vegas, and who is Flagg?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

hifi posted:

clayton keller rookie of the month, 9 goals in a month is the most by a coyotes rookie since selanne.

well played

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flyers bad

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

Flyers bad

:negative:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The Good from the Oilers game:
https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/925905409616969728

The Bad and Ugly:
Everything else

Our special teams continue to suck. Our bottom 6 is dreadful. This roster is poo poo, we aren't making the playoffs, and the thread title continues to hold true.

Fire Chiarelli.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The Oilers are going to draft Dahlin, aren't they.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

The Oilers are going to draft Dahlin, aren't they.

Silver lining: Chiarelli will still be there in 4-6 years to trade him away after declaring him a bust. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
guys, it's time for a wholesome meme

https://twitter.com/DearAuntCrabby/status/925926276224946176

• Locked thread