Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Patrick Roy? Or no goalies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

One is obviously Gretzky.

And I bet there's more defense than you'd expect.
Yeah, if you're getting 5-10 extra minutes of ice time a game it's a big advantage. Plus a lot of those defensemen probably got more powerplay time than even Gretzky. Bourque and MacInnis are going to be top 5.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I think the era and games played are the major factors for goal totals. I'd guess Gretzky, Messier, Chelios, Murphy, Bourque, and Coffey.

Coffey played with Gretzky and Lemieux at both of their scoring peaks and was probably on the ice for 99% of the power play goals.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Howe Orr chelios then maybe like Bourque or Steves?

Fake edit: leech?

Real edit: yeah, Coffey in there somewhere.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Larry Robinson is probably up there because his career coincides almost perfectly with the highest scoring era, being on the dominant Habs teams in the 70s, and being on the ice all the time.

When he was +120 in 1976-77, the Habs only had five full-time defensemen.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I would definitely put Bourque on there.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Okay, I looked it up

and it's actually very interesting

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

JoelJoel posted:

Okay, I looked it up

and it's actually very interesting

Post the link in spoilers?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Keep guessing, but:

For
Against

Only two of ya mentioned the #4. One mentioned #5.

Henceforth bewbies gonna do a quiz every Thursday afternoon.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lidstrom is a real outlier in that list with his lack of 80s hockey.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Something's fishy, since Gordie isn't on either list. Just counting his regular season NHL goals and assists, he was on the ice for at least 1850 goals for, which would put him solidly at #39. Add the WHA totals, and he'd be up around #15.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 1, 2017

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Al MacInnis played so many minutes - he averaged 26:55 per game at age 39, something only a handful of players have done at any age in this era.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The Habs improve to 12-15. They're 3rd in the atlantic.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The habs are in a playoff spot!

I know, games in hand, atlantic division, all that. But still, given their start, I'm happy they're not a write off and fun to watch with something to aim for.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Daniel Sedin got career point 1000 tonight. Hooray! :toot:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Daniel Sedin got career point 1000 tonight. Hooray! :toot:

:toot:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Stiev Awt posted:

The Habs improve to 12-15. They're 3rd in the atlantic.

more proof that the atlantic suuuuuuuuuucks

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The habs are in a playoff spot!

I know, games in hand, atlantic division, all that. But still, given their start, I'm happy they're not a write off and fun to watch with something to aim for.

Carey's SV% is over 900.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

bub spank posted:

Something's fishy, since Gordie isn't on either list. Just counting his regular season NHL goals and assists, he was on the ice for at least 1850 goals for, which would put him solidly at #39. Add the WHA totals, and he'd be up around #15.

This is a bit pendantic, but you can pick up assists from the bench after a change, can't you? I know I've seen people get credited with goals just after getting to the bench.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bub spank posted:

NHL didn’t start recording plus minus until 67/68. Could account for that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That's a shame about Derek Dorsett. He was a character guy when he was in Columbus.

Preds AS (NAS?)- how's Fartsmell doing this year? Looks like 16GP with 7 points?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

That's a shame about Derek Dorsett. He was a character guy when he was in Columbus.

Preds AS (NAS?)- how's Fartsmell doing this year? Looks like 16GP with 7 points?

Hurt last I checked.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

coyotes shut out for the first time this year, amazingly.

i only watched a period and hosed off and looks like that was the right decision

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Russell with the goal of the year candidate tonight

https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/936455386676301824

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kris Russell is the best Chiarelli acquisition ever.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Broissot's hopeful little peek behind him is my favourite thing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Why the hell is he out there with a minute left though

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

the oilers are back baby

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

He was probably put on the ice 2 minutes earlier and got trapped out there.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't worry, he's got years and years left to improve.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Big body defensively responsible can clear the net physical presence blocks shots big so big look at his long stick mmmmmmm

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i bet mcdavid is reeeeeally regretting signing that contract now

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aside from him using Vinny Prospal as a mentor to turn his style of play around, my favorite Derek Dorsett story comes from the end of the 2011-12 season. He knew he was within striking distance of the PIM lead at the end of the regular season and apparently wanted to be #1, so what does he do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=051R4IasbLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh5Mr4Ih4_c

The jumbotron at Nationwide had a graphic which popped up and was updated after each scrap. The crowd was into it. Fun end to a trash fire season.

ThinkTank posted:

I mean...I know what he was trying to do there (dump to the empty corner past the net to get it out of trouble), but :stonklol:.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

:laffo:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

yellowcar posted:

i bet mcdavid is reeeeeally regretting signing that contract now

I wish I had saved the link to the McDavid war flashback gif someone here made.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The opposite angle on the Russell goal is even better for the expression on Kadri's face.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

CBJSprague24 posted:

He was doing ok to start the season. Taking dumb penalties but good in front of the net. He's been hurt for a bit though and I don't know where he will fit in post-Turris trade since Lavvy seems to be pretty set on Fiala-Turris-Smith as the 2nd line now.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

ThinkTank posted:

It's like when you're new at foosball and you're just spinning those dudes around as fast as you can with no regard to where the ball goes. But a person did that in real life.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

still funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL72EuBQMa4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

It was a really nice shot... :shrug:

• Locked thread