Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Gentrified Lootboxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Ah yes, gentrified lootboxes indicative of late stage capitalism as a means to ostensibly crateshame the proletariat for the win.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

this game might be good if it wasn't proc gen and had real levels and didn't have that hideous neon fake retro look that a lot of indie games seem to be going for. but it's probably bad becasue of those two reasons,

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Ah yes, gentrified lootboxes indicative of late stage capitalism as a means to ostensibly crateshame the proletariat for the win.

Lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i started to get sort of far in this, but the idea of replaying the whole loving game each time is starting to wear on me. these games only work when a run is like ~30 minutes. it's a real shame that they didn't just make this a straight-up SOTN clone, because pretty much everything about combat and movement is wonderful.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i started to get sort of far in this, but the idea of replaying the whole loving game each time is starting to wear on me. these games only work when a run is like ~30 minutes. it's a real shame that they didn't just make this a straight-up SOTN clone, because pretty much everything about combat and movement is wonderful.
I enjoyed the basic gameplay enough that I liked it, but I do wish they would tone down the bosses because of this. Hopefully this game's success means they can do a proper Castlevania-style game next time.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i also feel like you're supposed to clear each map to be able to do respectable damage to the bosses. the only time i've beat the first one have been when i've been able to get a decent attack power score.

once again, something that would be much better in a game without procedural generation

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i also feel like you're supposed to clear each map to be able to do respectable damage to the bosses. the only time i've beat the first one have been when i've been able to get a decent attack power score.
No, you don't have to. The two bosses have too much health, but you can do a lot with the right combination of skills and weapons. You can rush straight there to open the timed gate after the boss and still win. Also they're changing the weapon/strength system so players don't have to pump everything into strength with scrolls.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

This is why the only procedurally generated game I can hang with is Nuclear Throne, runs are super short and you can jump right back in quick

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wish that salt and sanctuary didn't look like complete rear end in a top hat, because it is actually a SOTN clone with dark souls type influences

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

This is why the only procedurally generated game I can hang with is Nuclear Throne, runs are super short and you can jump right back in quick

This

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i wish that salt and sanctuary didn't look like complete rear end in a top hat, because it is actually a SOTN clone with dark souls type influences

even if it looked good it'd still play badly and have a ton of other issues

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sector_corrector posted:

I played it a lot because it came out like a week before Dark Souls 3 and it's got some other issues . Weapon movesets are super boring (I guess SOTN didn't have much variety either but the GBA + DS games got better about this) and the lack of an ingame map made no sense and felt like an attempt at aping Souls without understanding why those games don't need a map (because they don't look like boring poo poo + areas generally have well-placed distinctive landmarks)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I did like the general weirdness of it though and even though I didn't fully explore it , it seems like there were some cool secrets involving NPCs and covenants and poo poo . Also I didn't hate the art as bad as everyone else

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

I played it a lot because it came out like a week before Dark Souls 3 and it's got some other issues . Weapon movesets are super boring (I guess SOTN didn't have much variety either but the GBA + DS games got better about this) and the lack of an ingame map made no sense and felt like an attempt at aping Souls without understanding why those games don't need a map (because they don't look like boring poo poo + areas generally have well-placed distinctive landmarks)

it was so hard for me to stomach looking at that i didn't really get that far, but i can definitely see how those things would be true.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff posted:

even if it looked good it'd still play badly and have a ton of other issues

lol

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

interesting point

øpø

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

[mocking OPs voice] Cock Balls is Cum.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Pablo Gigante posted:

This is the one roguelike that I consistently and completely suck at (never once got past hunter and lately I've managed to hug an exploding car almost every time) but can't stop playing.

Really wish I could get good :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Going from dying to Lil Hunter every time to consistently owning him feels so good. Keep at it, that zone was definitely a big wall for me but it'll click for you eventually

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I never really had trouble with lil hunter. I always had the mindset of Just gently caress him up immediately before he has a chance to do anything and I almost always just instakilled him with whatever my strongest gun was. Well maybe not insta kill, but fast enough as to make him trivial. I still got stressed out when he appeared though because if I wasn't in a good spot or prepared I could easily get murked.. T'was a rare occurrence though. when i actually played this game at least. its been awhile

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

dead cells? more like you have dead brain cells from brain cancer if you can enjoy this game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Monolith is an excellent procgen topdown bullet shooter kinda thing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This game's good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This game's good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

never mind i just reached the final boss for the first time and it killed me with one hit left so i hate it now

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
dead cells is a fun game

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's good, but it's early access and clearly never going to be finished so w/e.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

i agree. the devs have no idea how to finish what they've started

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Its bad

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

they added dodge offset. sick

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i bought this for 10 dollars and its hosed up but the combat is actually good. the levels are mostly bad but they serve their purpose i guess (arranging enemies for you to fight or dodge)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

i bought this for 10 dollars and its hosed up but the combat is actually good. the levels are mostly bad but they serve their purpose i guess (arranging enemies for you to fight or dodge)

enjoy the five hours that it's entertaining for

• Locked thread