Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

The two times I've gone there my shoes/clothes would be covered in nastier street grime than you'd see in NYC or Boston subways after only walking around for a short while. I imagine it might be slightly cleaner now that a bunch of the steel mills are shut down but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bert Roberge posted:

The two times I've gone there my shoes/clothes would be covered in nastier street grime than you'd see in NYC or Boston subways after only walking around for a short while. I imagine it might be slightly cleaner now that a bunch of the steel mills are shut down but I doubt it.

He's another fun fact the local infrastructure is so depleted many area have lead in the drink water:

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/03/548255845/pittsburgh-faces-hurdles-in-removing-lead-from-drinking-water

Probably a clever plan to make people too braindead to leave their rust belt hellhole of a city.

quote:

hree years after Flint, Mich.'s lead crisis began, many other cities are still struggling to deal with the same problem. Pittsburgh is one of them, mired in an effort to replace lead pipes laid down decades ago. The city is now under state mandate to lower the amount of lead in its drinking water. But as The Allegheny Front's Reid Frazier reports, it faces legal, technical and financial hurdles.

(SOUNDBITE OF SHOVELS DIGGING)

REID FRAZIER: On Pittsburgh's North Side, a work crew digs through asphalt, cement and clay. An hour in and five feet below the street, Mark McClafferty shovels out one last scoop of dirt before finding what he's been looking for.

MARK MCCLAFFERTY: Lead.

FRAZIER: He sees the telltale sign of lead pipes, large round lumps where different sections of pipe join together, almost like the pipes are swollen.

MCCLAFFERTY: Like a ball there. It's round. That's when they heat it up and melt the lead together. Anything else would have a nut on it.

FRAZIER: Since failing a lead test last year, Pittsburgh's Water and Sewer Authority has been required to find and replace lead service lines, the pipes that take water into houses. Now, the city only has authority to replace the public side of the water line, the part from the curb away from the house.

But doing that and leaving the private side in place can actually make the problem worse. Bob Weimar is interim executive director of the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority.

BOB WEIMAR: We had some particularly high results well over a hundred parts per billion.

FRAZIER: That's six times the EPA threshold for lead in drinking water. Turns out there's a coating inside the pipes that keeps lead from leaching into the water.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
AKA Hell w/ the lid off op.gl

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

its the pits, OP

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mariana Horchata posted:

AKA Hell w/ the lid off op.gl

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bad news for the fentanyl industry boys

https://twitter.com/pghDSA/status/928087858732257281

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i can't stop laughing at this

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Pittsburgh haters all want Crosby to gently caress them and it confuses them sexually, hence the bizarre outrage towards a good city

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
nvm

walgreenslatino has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Nov 8, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
remember that time trump tried to get a crowd excited by talking about how much he loves joepa?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/14/politics/donald-trump-joe-paterno-pittsburgh/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Pittsburgh: The roads are very confusing!

• Locked thread