Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey look who, other than Lance Storm, hates libraries! (s/o to Doogz)

https://twitter.com/JohnByrneSays/status/930472857255141376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

Oh no Steve Ditko's ghost has broken containment again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, I too think "gently caress those lazy-rear end children not paying for knowledge, entertainment or the ability to research projects for school" on the regular.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Serious question: How many y'all read comics because you think they're fun stories with good characters?

Might sound odd to ask, but a lot of stuff on the internet makes me feel people read out of obligation and the such?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

Serious question: How many y'all read comics because you think they're fun stories with good characters?

Might sound odd to ask, but a lot of stuff on the internet makes me feel people read out of obligation and the such?

People like to bitch about things they like to make it seem like they are "above" it. I am probably guilty of that as well, but I generally try to read comics that have stories that interest me and feature characters I like. I don't really hate-read anything because I really can't afford to buy comics that I dislike. I guess with any long term hobby though it becomes easy to nitpick things on a level that you haven't done before, or complain about something but this isn't something that is just relegated to comic books.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Covok posted:

You can't always tell if it's going to be a fun story with good characters until you read it, but that's the goal at least. I have a lot of characters I love but I drift away from books that don't grab me all the time anyway. I'd rather read nothing than a bad comic, especially if it's a character I love.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I drop books I'm not enjoying. I don't know why anybody spends money on something they clearly hate.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This will be up until after the weekend, hopefully more people join up. We're at 4 now but the more the merrier!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Covok posted:

I do. I also read a lot of stuff i dont like on marvel unlimited.

gently caress you Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel run.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I mean I like to know what's going on with my favorite guys but most of it I don't need to read myself if it sucks. And if it sucks the odds are pretty good its going to be ignored by the next writer so gently caress it.

I'll just ask BSS and if enough people tell me it's worth reading I'll check it out myself. It's a pretty good system

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

I drop books I'm not enjoying. I don't know why anybody spends money on something they clearly hate.
Yeah, this. I don't feel any obligation to buy or even read something I don't like.

I will say that "fun" and "good" are not synonymous, though. I've certainly read plenty of good comics I enjoyed that weren't remotely fun.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

purple death ray posted:

I mean I like to know what's going on with my favorite guys but most of it I don't need to read myself if it sucks. And if it sucks the odds are pretty good its going to be ignored by the next writer so gently caress it.

I'll just ask BSS and if enough people tell me it's worth reading I'll check it out myself. It's a pretty good system

How many times have you read Avengers 200 using this system?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

Fool me once, shame on you.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Roth posted:

IDGI

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

You should read it!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
No loving way I'm going to spend my money on something out of obligation. I'm very selective about comics, hence my small collection, and always look up on opinions and reccomendations.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I'm more of a casual reader, I mostly stick to comics from writers I like love, and wait for the trades for things that catch my eye that people say are good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

No loving way I'm going to spend my money on something out of obligation. I'm very selective about comics, hence my small collection, and always look up on opinions and reccomendations.

Look at this dude just BEGGING to get a copy of Onslaught Reborn in BSSSS.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'll admit to a lot of sunk cost reads on Unlimited, but if I really hate something I'll quit it. It's usually not an issue though as I don't like reading ongoing stuff, I prefer to do closed stories or at least particular runs if it's something eternally ongoing like Avengers, so they're generally out for at least a few months before I get around to them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Look at this dude just BEGGING to get a copy of Onslaught Reborn in BSSSS.

This mother fucker right here is why I will never sign up for that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

This mother fucker right here is why I will never sign up for that

Imma get your address

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I have three copies of Onslaught Reborn thanks to BSSSS and I love them all like the idiot manchildren they represent.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I will say the one of the things I miss most about Comics Alliance is how they'd do fun recaps of big stupid event books, so that I didn't have to read them just to know what all the comics I cared about would be reacting to for the next year. Having to flip through Secret Empire in the comic book store just to keep up sucked and turned out to be entirely pointless.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

I have three copies of Onslaught Reborn thanks to BSSSS and I love them all like the idiot manchildren they represent.
You're supposed to regift them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I haven't been able to because the last two secret Santas have perfectly lined up with me being unemployed and one time almost homeless.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think I regifted my copy. I kept thinking I will read it before sending it out but never did.

Also look at these chumps talking about Onslaught Reborn and not signing up for this years BSSSS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol, I gave at least 10 copies over the years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

I think I regifted my copy. I kept thinking I will read it before sending it out but never did.

Also look at these chumps talking about Onslaught Reborn and not signing up for this years BSSSS.

If I joined, it would be to not get anything and just send someone stuff I don't want anymore. I'm running out of room for physical books.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Covok posted:

Life is too fuckin' short to read lovely comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

If I joined, it would be to not get anything and just send someone stuff I don't want anymore. I'm running out of room for physical books.

While I will always say yes to free stuff I suggest donating to a children's hospital or a youth drop in center.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

While I will always say yes to free stuff I suggest donating to a children's hospital or a youth drop in center.
I don't know if everything I'd want to get rid of would be child-friendly.

I'll probably just throw some stuff on ebay or whatever.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Sometimes I read bad or not-so-good runs featuring characters I like because on one level I like seeing how the same character changes based on who's writing them and/or the current situation (like, Fraction's Invincible Iron Man isn't super-duper good but you get to see Marvel reinventing Iron Man into one of their biggest stars). Unless it's really, really bad I'd read them for that.

Also, is there a BSS Discord (or any nice comic book-related one)?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The BSS Discord exists but hasn't seen activity in months.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The BSS Discord exists but hasn't seen activity in months.

Much like it's posters :rimshot:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

Much like it's posters :rimshot:

Don't project.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This tipic got me thinking. What is the worst comic run you have ever read?

Mine has to be that New Invaders run from late '04 to mid '05. The art is horrendous. The stories are horrendous. It lasted nine issues.

The original Champions run is a travesty and my recent read of mid aughts Ms. MARVEL made me want to die.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Mine has to be that New Invaders run from late '04 to mid '05. The art is horrendous. The stories are horrendous. It lasted nine issues.

The original Champions run is a travesty and my recent read of mid aughts Ms. MARVEL made me want to die.

That Invaders run does have that fun insane Blazing Skull bit though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

I think I stuck with Way's Venom series for about.....6 or so issues. It went from being a The Thing rip-off to having a nuclear bomb literally land on Wolverine to.....well I have no idea. The art sucked and the writing sucked.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Most recent for me is the America series. Read two and then gave up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

I read the entire Ken Penders run on Sonic the Hedgehog and the Knuckles spin-off maybe 10 years ago.

• Locked thread