Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
CB Cebulski has admitted that "Akira Yoshida," who wrote a number of miniseries and one-shots for Marvel around 2004-2005 before mysteriously disappearing off the face of the earth, was in fact a pseudonym he used to get around a Marvel policy forbidding editors from writing for the company.

I have a feeling that this is going to get picked up by mainstream news outlets fairly shortly, and that his half-assed quasi-apology here really won't suffice.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

"I’ve had lunch with the guy–very nice guy. He’s a very cool guy. When we had lunch he showed me pictures of his immense Godzilla memorabilia collection–I was jealous!Well, there’s ONE conspiracy theory down the drains!!!”

I can't mad at these goofballs scrambling to pretend they courted a real manga writer.

e:
"And as to the Akira Yoshida that Marvel people had met, including his bosses, that was a Japanese translator who had visited the offices – and yes, who had had lunch with Mike Marts – and who was mistakenly identified as Akira Yoshida. So everyone remembered having met him – even though they never did."

Incredible.

For what it's worth, the West Wing names-changed version of the story from Gregg Schigiel's podcast that reignited this whole thing a few months back seems to imply that Marts (at least, I think that's who "Toby Ziegler" is) was in on the deception and lied about having met Yoshida to cover for Cebulski. Grain of salt, of course.

Anyway, this has really blown up on mainstream media, with the likes of THR, the LA Times, Vulture, and The Verge all running stories on it. I don't think this necessarily has to end with Cebulski getting fired (this was over a decade ago, and it's not like he tossed racial slurs around or sexually harassed colleagues), but it's clear that Marvel needs to put a lot more thought into their next response than Cebulski did before hitting "send" on his half-baked apology.

This is yet another example illustrating how Marvel Comics' corporate culture has simply not adapted to a world where mainstream news outlets hire reporters who are intimately familiar with geek culture and are actually willing to cover it critically. They still expect media to either regurgitate their PR line, to be so niche that no one beyond hardcore comics geeks will care what they say, or both.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 29, 2017

• Locked thread