Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

:siren::siren:NO SPOILERS! THIS MEANS DON'T TALK ABOUT CHARACTERS AND THINGS WE HAVEN'T SEEN YET, EVEN IN TAGS.:siren::siren:

In the year 2002, I played a very good game called Freedom Force. It had physics, destructible buildings, a superhero aesthetic with cheesy voice acting, and even a character creator! I was over the moon with this game, I tell ya. Smash cut to 2004. I was reading a copy of Game Informer (because that was a thing to do back then) and saw a full page about a sequel. Freedom Force wasn't just back - Freedom Force was back and fighting Nazis! The game came out a year later, and indeed, it was good.

Wait, what about the first game?
While this game's events are loosely connected to the plot of the first game, they make sense enough on their own. All you really need to know is that a shiny pharaoh tried to blow up time so he could attain immortality. If you really want to know more, I LPed it. Now I'm taking on the second game because it's good, and hey, gently caress Nazis.

Just you?
Nope! Joining me for this LP will be my long-suffering sidekick Yapping Eevee, as well as GamesAreSupernice who's new to the series entirely.

What's your agenda here anyway?
Video games are cool and Nazis are bad.

Videos

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh my god!

Lizard Wizard, you are my hero!

Y'know, I never got around the playing the first one. I played this one, and then couldn't adjust to the first.

This is the best series. Did it not do well? Why didn't they keep making them, like FIFA or John Madden, just crank out a new one every year...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Those run animations in the last cutscene, the talking heads... I'm about 90% certain this is a highly customized Warcraft 3 campaign.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Minuteman's threat mid-video is almost certainly a callback to the first game. :eng101: And I think I might actually enjoy this game more than the first one, although there's plenty of time yet for it to crush my soul.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee posted:

Minuteman's threat mid-video is almost certainly a callback to the first game. :eng101: And I think I might actually enjoy this game more than the first one, although there's plenty of time yet for it to crush my soul.

This game will not disappoint.

Character Corner
Just as we did in the previous thread, it's time for a good old fashioned character roundup! We'll be covering new heroes and new foes alike.

Before anything, I just want to point out that I'm using Freedom Force X, which changes the character up a bit, so if any veterans see anything amiss, that's why.

Strength: 3
Speed: 4
Agility: 5
Endurance: 4
Energy: 6

Traits: Flier, Illusionist

Okay, before *deep inhale* Strength determines the power of melee attacks, Speed determines movement speed, Agility determines dodge chance, Endurance determines health, and Energy determines energy regen. All stats are on a scale of 1 to 10.

Lizwiz: With all that out of the way, I guess Alchemiss is the main character this time? I kinda feel like she should pack more punch than she does, but having flight right off the bat is definitely appreciated. Illusionist was added by FFX and should in theory let her create decoys, but she just doesn't have a command for it.
Eevee: A buggy mod? Say it ain't so. :v: Her stats do look low, but she did solid work in the first game, so hopefully that'll continue.
Games: This isn't what alchemy loving does.

Strength: 6
Speed: 3
Agility: 1
Endurance: 6
Energy: 7

Traits: Ponderous, Unstable Energy, Flier, Energy Tanks, Grim Resolve

Lizwiz: A deadpan saucepan with a hell of an uppercut. Also, he can cause explosions. Shame he's trapped in another dimension!
Eevee: He has some justification for being so mopey, but geeze dude. Life goes on... even if you are trapped alone on a platform, adrift in the void of time and space.
Games: I'll be pissed if he doesn't end up as the main antagonist.

Agility: 2
Endurance: 3
Energy: 1

Traits: Timid, Weak Minded

Lizwiz: Spooks easily and exists to get dunked on. I don't think we ever see these guys again.
Eevee: They had their time to shine in the first game.
Games: You can't pick up their weapons?

Energy: 1

Traits: Timid, Weak Minded

Lizwiz: Now with gun! In the first game, these guys provided a modicum of danger in the early missions. This time around, they're a footnote in the game's tutorial.
Eevee: Yeah, I remember the moment a certain flagwaver stopped giving a drat about these guys.
Games: Guns are too detached for me. Bats preferred.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Oh hey, now I don't have to stream it. :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DoubleNegative posted:

Those run animations in the last cutscene, the talking heads... I'm about 90% certain this is a highly customized Warcraft 3 campaign.

Don't be silly, if it were a wc3 custom map it would have that "storm earth and fire heed my call" song in it.
Also it wouldn't be able to tell it's story in amazing comic book fashion, now with beautifully animated panels that in no way look goofy as sin.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
haha what the gently caress is this game

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Olive! posted:

haha what the gently caress is this game

The first and last game where Ken Levine asks the question "are racists bad?" and answers it with an unambiguous "yes".

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Game Informer is a pretty loving classy choice

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lizard Wizard posted:

The first and last game where Ken Levine asks the question "are racists bad?" and answers it with an unambiguous "yes".

I'm sorry, who's Ken Levine, and why is he relevant here? Seriously.

drat, I wish there was a "I'm-not-being-facetious-or-sarcastic-here-I'm-truly-clueless" smiley.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

painedforever posted:

I'm sorry, who's Ken Levine, and why is he relevant here? Seriously.

drat, I wish there was a "I'm-not-being-facetious-or-sarcastic-here-I'm-truly-clueless" smiley.

Creator of both this game and Bioshock, which I think answers your earlier question of why this series didn't go any further than it did.

Also, there's :confused: maybe?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Just discovered this LP. I will be following and enjoying it.

Nazis... I hate those guys.

Especially Illinois Nazis...

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Man-Bot's stance in that profile pic looks like he should be holding two thumbs up.

"EVERYTHING'S DANDY."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

NullBlack posted:

Man-Bot's stance in that profile pic looks like he should be holding two thumbs up.

"EVERYTHING'S DANDY."

Thread fanart assignment: Freedom Force members being severely happy or sad

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 13, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Good morning, freedom lovers! I'd say we're overdue for an update, wouldn't you?

Character Corner

Strength: 4
Agility: 4
Energy: 5

Traits: Flier, Hot Tempered, Heroic

Lizwiz: El Diablo is still pretty great at blasting stuff, though he no longer has the distinction of being your first flier. Hot Tempered is a silly trait that occasionally makes him overcharge his attacks whether you like it or not.
Eevee: He may not be quite the early-game boon he once was, but our fiery latino friend is definitely far from the worst hero we'll have on our roster.
Games: I'm so sleepy but this is the guy who shoots fire right?
Lizwiz: Yeah, you know, everyone's favorite superhero: The Devil.

Agility: 4
Energy: 6

Traits: Disciplined, Enhanced Senses

Lizwiz: Mentor, AKA the guy who sucks, AKA the Big Brain. One of his attacks and one of his abilities added by the mod don't actually function, but that's on me for not setting it up properly. Whoops! He speaks 834 languages, of which Earth Spanish is one.
Eevee: I've seen far better mind takers. Mentor probably doesn't even know Earth law.
Games: I like how he teleports around the borders of the screen.

Energy: 4

Traits: Weak Minded, Bedeviled

Lizwiz: Okay, I want to talk about these guys. Their traits make them weak to Mental and Mystical damage, though I don't think we have ANY source of the latter. That may have bearing on status effects, though? In any case, these guys'll shoot ya and freeze ya, and in a nasty change from the first game, their bullets are actually typed to be effective against El Diablo. I was, however, mistaken in saying that they're not weak to fire damage.
Eevee: I love these little vestigial bits and pieces in videogames that seem to be left over from earlier builds. Bonus points if nobody has any idea how, or even if, they work.
Games: How come if they're weak to fire damage they're wearing warm clothes? Wouldn't that make the problem worse?
Lizwiz: Nuclear Winter's influence makes places cold. I think they have to.
Games: They're not like Pokemon?

Energy: 5

Traits: None

Lizwiz: The bigger, less interesting brothers of the Ice Troopers, trading their lesser projectiles for a knockback laser. They can be pesky!
Eevee: Those coats are really a bit less Soviet and a bit more Christmas-y than they should be.
Lizwiz: They're communists AND redcoats. Minuteman hates no minion so much as the Frost Warrior. Or is it Frost Sergeant?
Games: Iunno, I think the colors mesh really well.

I know I missed some, but we'll be covering the other Freedom Friends and Freedom Foes in the next Character Corner.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I missed the first game, and started with this one, but I didn't have quite so much trouble with it. I did play it pretty slow though, pausing frequently while giving orders, moving the entire team together, focussing fire...

Still never liked Mentor though. And I preferred the ranged flying attackers more, in spite of the terrible aim.

So... a mod? About what?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

painedforever posted:

So... a mod? About what?

I've mentioned it a few times, but I'm using Freedom Force X, which is frankly a massive overhaul. I'd link to it, but I really don't want to spoil the changes to my commentators or any posters. Feel free to google it up, though!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I love our new hero so much. :allears: And the talking heads continue to be... something.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I love our new hero so much. :allears: And the talking heads continue to be... something.

Yeah, I love this game's doofy rear end flapping jaws. It adds a certain layer of charm.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I really liked playing Tombstone in the early part of the campaign even though he couldn't fly. Later on, you do get a lot more heroes so he falls to the wayside.

I love how the characters and their origin stories seem to be from the Silver Age of comics. Very... Jack Kirby, I guess? Somebody put in a lot of effort into character design, and getting the origin videos to look like comic books. It has that same... tone to it. It's like how Minuteman is like Captain America or Shield (only louder and more bombastic). Captain America today is written as being far more politically correct, but I expect he would've been caught up in McCarthyism in the '50s, and would've sounded odd to us in modern times.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

painedforever posted:

I really liked playing Tombstone in the early part of the campaign even though he couldn't fly. Later on, you do get a lot more heroes so he falls to the wayside.

I love how the characters and their origin stories seem to be from the Silver Age of comics. Very... Jack Kirby, I guess? Somebody put in a lot of effort into character design, and getting the origin videos to look like comic books. It has that same... tone to it. It's like how Minuteman is like Captain America or Shield (only louder and more bombastic). Captain America today is written as being far more politically correct, but I expect he would've been caught up in McCarthyism in the '50s, and would've sounded odd to us in modern times.

There actually was a "CAPTAIN AMERICA: COMMIE SMASHER!" comic briefly in the 50s. Got retconned into being another dude who went crazy, so Cap had to take him down.

That said, the real Captain America's run in the 60s loving hated communism. Dude would go halfway across the world to shove some star spangled FREEDOM down their America-holes. If Steve Rogers couldn't punch a Nazi, then he'd kick some commies in the dick.

Sometimes he'd take a break to talk to the youth about how racism was bad, or that it was important to listen to the other guy, even if they seemed to be "establishment" or "hippies", because gosh darnit, we're all AMERICANS, and the country works better if we treat each other with respect. As long as you're not a commie or a Nazi, in which case, again, he would beat the ever loving poo poo out of you, and maybe probably kill you, depending on what the CCA would let him get away with.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

painedforever posted:

Captain America today is written as being far more politically correct, but I expect he would've been caught up in McCarthyism in the '50s, and would've sounded odd to us in modern times.

Is he not being written by a Nazi sympathizer anymore?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 14, 2017

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is he not being written by a Nazi sympathizer anymore?

I have no idea. I either read Cap in the first Ultimates series, or when he appeared in the Deadpool (and Deadpool/Cable) series.

I remember reading that he was created as a reaction to the Nazi vision of the Übermensch. Which is why his first cover was with him punching Hitler in the mouth.

... which is oddly appropriate, considering that we will eventually have the Freedom Force fighting against Nazis. No, I don't consider that to be a spoiler, it's in the name of the game after all!

Will we get Minuteman punching the Hitler analogue in one of the loading-screen comic-book covers? Can't remember.

Hey Liz, any chance you could throw up the comic book covers from the chapters you complete in the OP post? Because those were great.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

painedforever posted:

I have no idea. I either read Cap in the first Ultimates series, or when he appeared in the Deadpool (and Deadpool/Cable) series.

Ah, okay. You're probably at least vaguely aware of the kerfuffle last year where Cap was revealed to be with the proxy-NazisHydra. Earlier this year, it came to light that the Captain America writer at the time thought it was bad, actually, that the head of a white supremacist leader got punched in the face. At some point during his Nazi heel turn, Cap was demonstrated to be worthy of Mjolnir, which isn't just worrying in a Marvel canon sense.

So to make a long story short, Cap has very recently been being written by a guy who really wants to embolden neo-Nazis. And sure, I'll see if I can find the loading screen covers!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
More recently the bad version of Cap, Hydra Supreme, has been beaten down and locked up. Good Cap is back and the innocent all-powerful child responsible for the kerfluffle is regretful. That’s what I read on Wikipedia anyway, I haven’t read actual Marvel comics in decades because of stories like you describe and One More Day.

How long before Captain America becomes Captain Ideology?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

achtungnight posted:

More recently the bad version of Cap, Hydra Supreme, has been beaten down and locked up. Good Cap is back and the innocent all-powerful child responsible for the kerfluffle is regretful. That’s what I read on Wikipedia anyway, I haven’t read actual Marvel comics in decades because of stories like you describe and One More Day.

How long before Captain America becomes Captain Ideology?

It's good that we no longer have a proxy-Nazi version of Captain America. It's bad that a Nazi sympathizer is still writing him. Both things can be true.

That having been said, when has he not been Captain Ideology?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 14, 2017

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
to be fair, when you're wearing a flag on your costume, representing an ideology is inevitable. Best you can hope for is that it's a good ideology.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ah, okay. You're probably at least vaguely aware of the kerfuffle last year where Cap was revealed to be with the proxy-NazisHydra. Earlier this year, it came to light that the Captain America writer at the time thought it was bad, actually, that the head of a white supremacist leader got punched in the face. At some point during his Nazi heel turn, Cap was demonstrated to be worthy of Mjolnir, which isn't just worrying in a Marvel canon sense.

So to make a long story short, Cap has very recently been being written by a guy who really wants to embolden neo-Nazis. And sure, I'll see if I can find the loading screen covers!

If I remember right, and the signal to noise ratio of this whole crapshow has been abysmal so no guarantees, it's not that Nick Spencer (the writer) is a neo-nazi so much as he wrote a crappy comic that's bad enough at explaining itself that it sometimes sounds like it's going "Well, if you're not a racist Nazi...", at about the same time as he took the currently divisive "Well, first amendment says you can say whatever the gently caress you want as long as you don't directly hurt anybody, so yes, punching a Nazi is wrong even though Nazis are the shittiest people." stance on twitter.

It was not exactly a good combination of moves if your goal isn't "Get called a Nazi by everyone on twitter".

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I dunno, Cap died at the end of Civil War, there was a clone created by Dr. Bong, Deadpool blew them all up with fireworks. I thought, "Nothing can top this," and gave up on comics.

I do want to get back to completing my Transformers collection, but then I'd have to figure out which of the thousands of series and sub-series I want or need to have in order to understand what's going on...

Minuteman is pretty easy to see as a Captain America or Shield analogue. Man-Bot is Iron Man with the Hulk's backstory. Mentor is the Martian Manhunter. El Diablo is an older Latino Johnny Storm (the other superhero played by Chris Evans). Tombstone is the Crow (who isn't a superhero, but is a comic book character, originally) and the Ghost Rider.

Can we discuss characters that appeared in the first game?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

If I remember right, and the signal to noise ratio of this whole crapshow has been abysmal so no guarantees, it's not that Nick Spencer (the writer) is a neo-nazi so much as he wrote a crappy comic that's bad enough at explaining itself that it sometimes sounds like it's going "Well, if you're not a racist Nazi...", at about the same time as he took the currently divisive "Well, first amendment says you can say whatever the gently caress you want as long as you don't directly hurt anybody, so yes, punching a Nazi is wrong even though Nazis are the shittiest people." stance on twitter.

It was not exactly a good combination of moves if your goal isn't "Get called a Nazi by everyone on twitter".

He was proudly displaying a frog emoji in his display name at the time, which leads me to the conclusion that while he's MAYBE not a neo-nazi, that's a big maybe. Anyway, uh, Freedom Force!

painedforever posted:

Minuteman is pretty easy to see as a Captain America or Shield analogue. Man-Bot is Iron Man with the Hulk's backstory. Mentor is the Martian Manhunter. El Diablo is an older Latino Johnny Storm (the other superhero played by Chris Evans). Tombstone is the Crow (who isn't a superhero, but is a comic book character, originally) and the Ghost Rider.

Can we discuss characters that appeared in the first game?

The game's going to be giving us the characters from the first game over time, so I'd rather wait until they become available.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 15, 2017

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
He doesn't look very useful but Mentor has pretty funny voice acting imho

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

A Perfect Twist posted:

He doesn't look very useful but Mentor has pretty funny voice acting imho

I can never take him seriously because I'd swear that's Maurice LaMarche doing his Brain voice.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

I can never take him seriously because I'd swear that's Maurice LaMarche doing his Brain voice.

He's basically an unholy fusion of that and Don Pardo.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I got this game from the bargain bin at an OfficeMax for eight bucks back around 2006 while being dragged there by a relative during some outing way back then, and that was my first introduction to the Freedom Force series, and lemme tell ya, the only reason it wasn't the best eight bucks I'd ever spent on a game is because I also got Baldur's Gate that cheap at Bookman's a few years prior.

Is it just me, or were there a lot of PC games in the mid-aughts with a cartoony style, RTS mechanics, and some slightly wonky gameplay with no shortage of bugs and/or obvious evidence of cut content? Like, you got Freedom Force, Evil Genius, Ghost Master, and plenty of less-competent contemporaries, and it just strikes me as a fairly unusual trend to catch on, even if it was just for a few years. I mean, if anything, I'd say the bugs and mild gameplay issues actually helped them endure, if only in a cult fashion, by inspiring robust modding communities to spring up around them, so good on them, I suppose.

As for this game specifically, I'm glad it's finally being LPed. I played the first game in series all of once, years after Third Reich, so this is the one that sticks more firmly in my memory. While I'd say Third Reich is the better game in a lot of ways, and certainly better overall, there are some ways in which the first game is better that I'll get into once the LP is far enough in that I'm not dancing around spoilers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, it's Freedom Force 2: gently caress Alchemiss, No, Seriously, She Gets Even Worse Than In 1. That mod looks pretty interesting.

Is Minuteman's VA still around? I know he was a goon and this is seriously one of the best voice performances I've ever heard in a game. So much cheese, so much pathos, it perfectly plays off how incredibly stupid the whole idea of having a country-themed superhero is.

e: I actually remember this being pretty hard, definitely harder than 1. Looking forward to seeing you handle the lategame.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 16, 2017

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

anilEhilated posted:

Is Minuteman's VA still around? I know he was a goon and this seriously one of the best voice performances I've ever heard in a game. So much cheese, so much pathos, it perfectly plays off how incredibly stupid the whole idea of having a country-themed superhero is.

Whoa, what? Mind blown.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

painedforever posted:

Whoa, what? Mind blown.

It was right in front of us all along.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Freedom Force (and the sequel) are on sale on GoG! Apparently that's the best way to play them because there are problems with the Steam version? Or so I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Make a TRex hero

• Locked thread