Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nazi Punching? Getting in on the ground floor, baby!

painedforever posted:

I really liked playing Tombstone in the early part of the campaign even though he couldn't fly. Later on, you do get a lot more heroes so he falls to the wayside.

I love how the characters and their origin stories seem to be from the Silver Age of comics. Very... Jack Kirby, I guess? Somebody put in a lot of effort into character design, and getting the origin videos to look like comic books. It has that same... tone to it. It's like how Minuteman is like Captain America or Shield (only louder and more bombastic). Captain America today is written as being far more politically correct, but I expect he would've been caught up in McCarthyism in the '50s, and would've sounded odd to us in modern times.

chiasaur11 posted:

There actually was a "CAPTAIN AMERICA: COMMIE SMASHER!" comic briefly in the 50s. Got retconned into being another dude who went crazy, so Cap had to take him down.

That said, the real Captain America's run in the 60s loving hated communism. Dude would go halfway across the world to shove some star spangled FREEDOM down their America-holes. If Steve Rogers couldn't punch a Nazi, then he'd kick some commies in the dick.

Sometimes he'd take a break to talk to the youth about how racism was bad, or that it was important to listen to the other guy, even if they seemed to be "establishment" or "hippies", because gosh darnit, we're all AMERICANS, and the country works better if we treat each other with respect. As long as you're not a commie or a Nazi, in which case, again, he would beat the ever loving poo poo out of you, and maybe probably kill you, depending on what the CCA would let him get away with.
Oh boy, Cap chat!

It's worth noting that despite being a guy from the 1940s, Cap's attitudes aren't as ananchronistic as you might think.

EclecticTastes posted:

I got this game from the bargain bin at an OfficeMax for eight bucks back around 2006 while being dragged there by a relative during some outing way back then, and that was my first introduction to the Freedom Force series, and lemme tell ya, the only reason it wasn't the best eight bucks I'd ever spent on a game is because I also got Baldur's Gate that cheap at Bookman's a few years prior.

Is it just me, or were there a lot of PC games in the mid-aughts with a cartoony style, RTS mechanics, and some slightly wonky gameplay with no shortage of bugs and/or obvious evidence of cut content? Like, you got Freedom Force, Evil Genius, Ghost Master, and plenty of less-competent contemporaries, and it just strikes me as a fairly unusual trend to catch on, even if it was just for a few years. I mean, if anything, I'd say the bugs and mild gameplay issues actually helped them endure, if only in a cult fashion, by inspiring robust modding communities to spring up around them, so good on them, I suppose.

As for this game specifically, I'm glad it's finally being LPed. I played the first game in series all of once, years after Third Reich, so this is the one that sticks more firmly in my memory. While I'd say Third Reich is the better game in a lot of ways, and certainly better overall, there are some ways in which the first game is better that I'll get into once the LP is far enough in that I'm not dancing around spoilers.
Yeah, this is very much 'of its time'. I kind of wish that someone had refined this kind of thing. I mean, stuff like Dawn of War II shows that you could make that kind of small-style RTS with a few units. I guess it was just a flash-in-the-pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Speaking of Captain America, the character has gotten more diverse over time too. Originally he was as blonde and white as the Aryans he was fighting. Then he became a dark haired man (Bucky), a blonde woman (Cap 2099, aka American Dream), a black guy (ex-falcon Sam Wilson)... the new Lego Marvel game even has his British gal pal Peggy Carter put on the costume. Still hoping for Asian, Hispanic, and Native American versions one of these days.

Edit- there’s a Sikh version I just found on YouTube. That’s a step in the right direction vs the revisionist Captain Hydra version. :D

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 24, 2017

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh boy, Cap chat!

It's worth noting that despite being a guy from the 1940s, Cap's attitudes aren't as ananchronistic as you might think.

:sigh: Lizzy-Wizzy's going to mad at me for turning his thread into Cap Chat, but oh well...

Y'know, I like Cap, even though I'm not American. Like, not on either continent. Or from a Western, "freedom-loving" nation. Aside from a few appearances which felt off, for the most part, Steve Rogers is always portrayed as a decent guy, first and foremost. I think that's what I've always liked about Marvel vs DC is that the Marvel characters seem more complex than DC characters (feel free to make fun of me for saying that).

Steve Rogers looks uncomfortable being a symbol, and being a tool for propaganda (I'm pretty sure that was in the comics before the movie, which fair play, was pretty good too). He always seemed happier just being part of the gang, wanting to help out. And I like that. He's humble rather than bombastic. It's very endearing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm sorry too, it's as much my fault as yours.

Let's not forget Superman also punched Nazis. And so will Alchemiss, Minuteman, El Diablo, and the rest of Freedom Force.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I really don't mind Cap chat as long as everyone knows that Nick Spencer is kind of a shitlord. :v:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

achtungnight posted:

Speaking of Captain America, the character has gotten more diverse over time too. Originally he was as blonde and white as the Aryans he was fighting. Then he became a dark haired man (Bucky), a blonde woman (Cap 2099, aka American Dream), a black guy (ex-falcon Sam Wilson)... the new Lego Marvel game even has his British gal pal Peggy Carter put on the costume. Still hoping for Asian, Hispanic, and Native American versions one of these days.

Edit- there’s a Sikh version I just found on YouTube. That’s a step in the right direction vs the revisionist Captain Hydra version. :D

They actually did an Asian-Hispanic cap-of-the-future in Captain America Corps which teamed up a bunch of different versions of Cap. Which is by Roger Stone and owns bones.

Also, American Dream &Cap 2099 are two different versions. :spergin:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You know comics better than me. :) There was also a black female version my research turned up, and an animal version- Captain Americat.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

There's also a Captain America Wolfman, to represent the lycanthrope vote.

About all I know about that one is that there was a toy of him. Apparently a good toy?

I wonder if anyone ever tried customizing Marvel toys into Freedom Force characters.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

You know comics better than me. :) There was also a black female version my research turned up, and an animal version- Captain Americat.

More than one black woman has been Captain America. There's Danielle Cage (the daughter of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones), who would go on to become Captain America, and there was Samantha Wilson (in an alternate universe where the project was sabotaged by Nazis and Steve Rogers, Isaiah Bradley, and Steve Rogers were all killed.)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm a bit under the weather, so character info sometime this weekend.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Feel better soon. Welcome back.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

achtungnight posted:

Feel better soon. Welcome back.

For freeduhhhhhhh.

*hacks up small pool of mucus*

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I loved the first game, but never finished it (probably because I was young and would make heroes and recruit them instead of upgrading ones I had) and never quite delved into this one. I've got them both on GOG, and I've been meaning to play them again, but then I start to think about the best way to play them (there's a mod that puts the first game into the sequel, is that a better choice than playing the first one? FFX or no? Things like that), and widescreen and all that and then do something else instead. Glad to see it here though, I completely missed your LP of the first one, I'll have to check it out.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh hey, look at that. Can't wait to comment more on the new characters. But since we're going to let Lizzy-Wizzy take the first stab, let's instead discuss the video!

This section can be a bit annoying, but honestly, the Freedom Force games really benefit from allowing you to order your characters around while pausing the game. Having flyers is useful against the snowmen, you just have to watch out for them throwing rocks at you. Diablo does the most damage, but he also takes the most damage, so you do have to micro him, making sure that he's used against the snowmen, while the others run interference and stun the thugs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

catlord posted:

I loved the first game, but never finished it (probably because I was young and would make heroes and recruit them instead of upgrading ones I had) and never quite delved into this one. I've got them both on GOG, and I've been meaning to play them again, but then I start to think about the best way to play them (there's a mod that puts the first game into the sequel, is that a better choice than playing the first one? FFX or no? Things like that), and widescreen and all that and then do something else instead. Glad to see it here though, I completely missed your LP of the first one, I'll have to check it out.

I'd much rather see this game replicated in the first game's engine, honestly.

While I haven't tried said mod, the first game's issues stem from overall level design, not game balance, so you'll have the same experience except repulsion is no longer hilarious, throwing things is not the meta, and the simplified three-peg energy system no longer allows for as much flexibility with overpowering attacks, and in fact you can't even pull the rare underpower tactic.

The first game is fine.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember the first game used to have *such* a huge collection of create-a-characters you could download. Like, someone made a Galactus that was so big you could only see his legs and the laser blasts he was raining down from an unseen point above.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'd much rather see this game replicated in the first game's engine, honestly.

While I haven't tried said mod, the first game's issues stem from overall level design, not game balance, so you'll have the same experience except repulsion is no longer hilarious, throwing things is not the meta, and the simplified three-peg energy system no longer allows for as much flexibility with overpowering attacks, and in fact you can't even pull the rare underpower tactic.

The first game is fine.

I'm not even sure if that mod's still around, or ever released. Just playing them as GOG released them sounds like the best choice then, thanks.

DeathChicken posted:

I remember the first game used to have *such* a huge collection of create-a-characters you could download. Like, someone made a Galactus that was so big you could only see his legs and the laser blasts he was raining down from an unseen point above.

Oh man, Galactus was great. Shame when Marvel C&D'd sites for Marvel skins.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

catlord posted:

I'm not even sure if that mod's still around, or ever released. Just playing them as GOG released them sounds like the best choice then, thanks.

I also hear some dork did a pretty decent LP of it last year. :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Stars and bars! Right now, you can pick up both Freedom Force games for the price of just $1.49!

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Last time I tried it the Steam version of Freedom force was fairly buggy on modern systems. The GOG version is the best bet here.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I would be all over it if the repository of character meshes still existed somewhere.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Hank Morgan posted:

Last time I tried it the Steam version of Freedom force was fairly buggy on modern systems. The GOG version is the best bet here.

I have the Steam version of the original FF and it didn't seem any buggier than can be expected (as I mentioned earlier, most of those sorts of cult classic strategy-ish games from that time period were riddled with bugs), and that was on Windows 7 (the 64-bit version).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Character Corner

Strength: 4
Speed: 5
Agility: 6
Endurance: 7
Energy: 5

Traits: Nothin' yet!

Lizwiz: He plinks guys with electric pistols and can possess guys. Idunno, he's not my favorite. Eventually he'll learn to jump up buildings, so...yay?
Games: He's had my favorite character intro so far.
Eevee: He might not be the most exciting gameplay-wise, but the sheer edgelordiness is fantastic.

Speed: 4
Agility: 3
Endurance: 4
Energy: 4

Traits: Heat Sensitive, Jumper, Cosmic Chump, Dispersed Structure, Mindless

Lizwiz: Among a bevy of meat-and-potatoes weakness and resistance traits, Dispersed Structure is all that stands out. It's what lets them come back from the dead, which honestly makes me wonder how and why it only happened during that hand fight.
Games: It probably only occurred during that fight to make the ability more impactful.
Eevee: They certainly became a memorable enemy, though perhaps not for the right reasons.

Strength: 6
Speed: 3
Agility: 6

Traits: Berserker, Fast Healing, Hirsute, Weak Minded

Lizwiz: I don't have much to say about these guys, other than the fact that their melee attack is Meaty Fists, which the game describes as "Knuckle sandwich with extra ham".
Games: It seems to me that they'd be much better at clawing than punching.
Eevee: Perhaps, but I wouldn't want to tell them how to do their job. That seems like a poor life choice.

Speed: 4
Agility: 7
Endurance: 5
Energy: 9

Traits: Bedeviled, Disciplined, Shake It Off, Flier, Synergy

Lizwiz: Red Oktober is a good excuse for someone to do a Russian lady accent, but that's about all she is.
Games: Her name is humorous.
Eevee: It also let us make at least one movie reference, so hey, why not.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Happy halloween, everybody!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I had almost forgotten the glory of this episode's commentary. :allears:

Also featured: me almost dying

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee posted:

I had almost forgotten the glory of this episode's commentary. :allears:

And far be it from me to let that subject matter go to waste.

Thread assignment: WITHOUT BEING CREEPY OR GROSS, describe the fetishes of the heroes we've seen thus far.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lizard Wizard posted:

Thread assignment: WITHOUT BEING CREEPY OR GROSS, describe the fetishes of the heroes we've seen thus far.
Aren't fetishes basically creepy and gross by definition?

Great to see you back Lizzy-Wizzy, I missed you.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

No, they're beautiful. Didn't you watch the video?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 10, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I'm not sure it's physically possible to be human without having fetishes. They're a product of the way our emotions function. Evolution selects for what works, not what's optimal, and what worked was having our emotions determine what is/isn't fuckable/arousing. In modern society, where there's less struggling to survive on a primal level and we're surrounded by far more things to be emotionally attached to, fetishes have more opportunity to take root. It's an inherently human attribute that's come to more light in recent years because of the Internet. I suppose theoretically if you had no emotions at all, you could avoid having fetishes? Can someone test that for me?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I'm not sure it's physically possible to be human without having fetishes. They're a product of the way our emotions function. Evolution selects for what works, not what's optimal, and what worked was having our emotions determine what is/isn't fuckable/arousing. In modern society, where there's less struggling to survive on a primal level and we're surrounded by far more things to be emotionally attached to, fetishes have more opportunity to take root. It's an inherently human attribute that's come to more light in recent years because of the Internet. I suppose theoretically if you had no emotions at all, you could avoid having fetishes? Can someone test that for me?

You heard it here first, folks, Man-Bot is a volcel.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I suppose theoretically if you had no emotions at all, you could avoid having fetishes? Can someone test that for me?
Hmm... I don't know, is there some form of lobotomy you can do to neuter emotions without leaving the subject a vegetable? Paging an actual brain surgeon to the thread.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Something something, Minuteman polishing his staff.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

"Doktor. Turn off my weird foot stuff inhibitors."

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Was there a lot of fetish talk?

There was something about people talking about their fetishes, which might be a fetish, and then it was Neo-Nazi frog memes, and then a surprisingly good callback to Minuteman's backstory.

Is Red Oktober more of a callback to Bond vamps rather than super-hero comics? Her design and powers are very Scarlet Witch, but I don't know of a lot of female Soviet characters in comics... aside from Black Widow.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Character Corner

Strength: 5
Speed: 10
Agility: 4
Endurance: 5

Traits: Rapid Metabolism, Cosmic Chump

Lizwiz: I didn't do a great job of showing him off, but I like Bullet. He gets the job done.
Eevee: drat it, I just noticed you're doing your usual silly image filenames. I need to find that add-on again.
Games: i liked him better in The Tick

Strength: 6
Agility: 5

Traits: Disciplined, Jumper

Lizwiz: How did I forget Minuteman? He's still a great melee combatant, but unfortunately he's not comically strong this time around.
Eevee: Always a solid unit, basically the Mario of this game... but more patriotic.
Games: i liked him better in The Tick

Speed: 6

Traits: Jumper

Lizwiz: A smaller, faster Minuteman. Of particular note is the fact that his stun grenades don't affect allies, so hey, he's practically worthwhile.
Eevee: That might be the nicest thing we've said about Liberty Lad. Well, that and "he's not Sea Urchin".
Games: i don't think he was in The Tick

Strength: 3
Speed: 9

Traits: Weak Minded, Glass Bones, Flier, Nimble

Lizwiz: If I had to describe Green Genie in a word, it would say unconventional.
Eevee: I can just imagine the Hulk crossover. She's out of his league though.
Games: we used her to blow up stuff really good, right?

Strength: 3
Agility: 3
Energy: 7

Traits: Danger Sense

Lizwiz: I feel like he's in the wrong game.
Eevee: Somehow putting 'Dark Shaman' into Google gets me a bunch of results about a generic WoW unit?
Lizwiz: I didn't know WoW HAD units.
Eevee: Unit, enemy NPC, same difference. I blame DoubleNegative.
Lizwiz: Geez, grandpa, they're called mobs.
Games: WoW is some kind of RTS right?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Bullet is interesting. Did he show up in the first game? Don't remember. It's easy to draw parallels between him and the Flash, but he reminds me more of the Green Lanterns with his backstory of being an ex-Air Force pilot. He's pretty okay, but I've always preferred characters who have ranged attacks and can fly.

I almost never used Green Genie, because I couldn't figure out how to use her. She's supposed to be, what, an ethnic version of Zatanna? Basically, unexplained magic powers that can be incredibly powerful or utterly useless depending on the writer or context.

Did we talk about traits? I don't remember if we ever did. I mean, I think they came up in the LP of the first Freedom Force, but was there a post about them? Because some of them I remember, but others I don't. Jumper is pretty self-explanatory (allowing the hero to jump to the top of buildings) as is Flier. Levitate means that the character can float off the ground, but can't fly fast. Disciplined makes them more resistant to mind-effects? Weak Minded is the opposite. And then Glass Bones increases the damage that the hero takes?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

painedforever posted:

Bullet is interesting. Did he show up in the first game? Don't remember. It's easy to draw parallels between him and the Flash, but he reminds me more of the Green Lanterns with his backstory of being an ex-Air Force pilot. He's pretty okay, but I've always preferred characters who have ranged attacks and can fly.

Bullet was in the first game but you had to unlock him with Prestige points. Never used him in that game but he's a lot better in this one.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

painedforever posted:

Did we talk about traits? I don't remember if we ever did. I mean, I think they came up in the LP of the first Freedom Force, but was there a post about them? Because some of them I remember, but others I don't. Jumper is pretty self-explanatory (allowing the hero to jump to the top of buildings) as is Flier. Levitate means that the character can float off the ground, but can't fly fast. Disciplined makes them more resistant to mind-effects? Weak Minded is the opposite. And then Glass Bones increases the damage that the hero takes?

I tend to gloss over most of them because, frankly, there's a shitton of weakness and resistance ones that just define what type of pokemon a hero is. Then we have some unique traits, but also stuff like Danger Sense or Nimble, and frankly I'd prefer to stroke my chin over unique mechanics than what our team's combat rolls and saving throws look like.

...also, I'm sorry to inform you that Glass Bones is just a crushing weakness trait.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 17, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lizard Wizard posted:

I tend to gloss over most of them because, frankly, there's a shitton of weakness and resistance ones that just define what type of pokemon a hero is. Then we have some unique traits, but also stuff like Danger Sense or Nimble, and frankly I'd prefer to stroke my chin over unique mechanics than what our team's combat rolls and saving throws look like.

...also, I'm sorry to inform you that Glass Bones is just a crushing weakness trait.

Well, I did say that I didn't remember all of them.

Okay, so the traits and things aren't too interesting in and of themselves, but I do like that they say funny things when you mouse-over them (just as many, many things do in this game and the previous one). The traits available to each hero are hard-coded, and you can only unlock them in sequence in exchange for prestige.

Y'know, I did forget how this particular game started. But it's coming back to me now, and what I really loved about it is how the story moves. There's definitely a progression here, very much like in comics... and saying more would be spoilers, so I'm just going to cut myself off here.

Something that I disliked about the game is that it often forced me to use heroes that I didn't want to. I mean, I can see why now, because they're very interesting (and many are plot-significant), but my ideal team are ranged attackers who can fly, because they seemed to have an advantage.

Tombstone was important in my early squad, but then he'd get traded in. Poor The Ant. He never got a chance.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Who could possibly have foreseen that Nuclear Winter would want to encourage his namesake :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

• Locked thread