Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he sucks an awful amount but i'm thinking of doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fLP-DyM57g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I'm sort of tempted to google 'smoked turkey dallas fort worth' and find somewhere that does a premade one or something, I'm sure someone in texas knows how to cure and smoke a bird.

any suggestions?

Man I am slow but you're drat right there is. These guys, a little outside Dallas:

https://www.gobblegobble.com/public/home

Meat's good cold, can be warmed just fine. Leftovers end up in chili or potato-leek soup, bones for stock. Skin mostly gets tossed. Using mostly all of it helps me feel good about having a turkey shipped ~1,100 miles.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TheNothingNew posted:

Man I am slow but you're drat right there is. These guys, a little outside Dallas:

https://www.gobblegobble.com/public/home

Meat's good cold, can be warmed just fine. Leftovers end up in chili or potato-leek soup, bones for stock. Skin mostly gets tossed. Using mostly all of it helps me feel good about having a turkey shipped ~1,100 miles.

Greenberg turkeys are famous and delicious. They’re also made in my hometown.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How much meat do you get off a turkey? I've heard varying answers from 9 pounds off a 15 pound bird to 8 pounds off a 20 pound bird.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i remember someone in gws mentioning using corn husks to make a corn broth which could then be used in a corn crème brulee. does anyone have a recipe or any knowledge of the concept, it seems interesting as a non-pie based thanksgiving dessert

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Greenberg turkeys are famous and delicious. They’re also made in my hometown.

Hey dipshit post your paypal or venmo so we can send you turkey money

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

Hey dipshit post your paypal or venmo so we can send you turkey money

Umm... yeah before I do that, I need to talk to my parents and tie my PayPal to their account since my checking account is pretty heavily overdrawn. I’ll PM you my info once I do that.

Thanks, by the way, this is really great of you.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Jose posted:

Aww, I kind of like the guy. I think he has just grown on me since I got the Joule, and I am right there with you, this is happening.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Jose posted:

If you don't have a sous vide like me you can put it in at 175* or 200* until the center is to temp and then take it out. Bring your oven to the highest it'll go and then trow it back in for 10-15 minutes. Almost no grey ring, it just takes forever.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

If you message me with your PayPal address I will buy you a turkey

I’ll buy you a few pounds of potatoes, garlic, butter, and cream. Gotta have mashed potatoes, just PM me. Here’s what i do:

Peel whole cloves of garlic, put in the smallest sauce pot you have (i use a baby 2 cup cast iron pot), then cover with oil and put over low heat for at least an hour, up to 2-3 hours. Only enough heat to form small bubbles slowly.

Dice potatoes, skins on or off, it’s up to you. Cover with cold water, salt heavily (HEAVILY), boil until you can smash a cube against the side of the pot with a fork but before the flesh turns white and dry. Add 3-5 cloves of garlic and a little of the oil, a few Tbs of butter and cream, then mash together. Salt and pepper as desired.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My turkey seems to have thawed faster than I expected, will it be OK in the fridge for about 6 days? I'm gonna brine it on Thanksgiving and cook it on Black Friday because we're doing the meal on Saturday.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Probably? Was there a sell by date on it? I bought a fresh turkey on Saturday, it says sell/freeze by the 27th.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Annath posted:

My turkey seems to have thawed faster than I expected, will it be OK in the fridge for about 6 days? I'm gonna brine it on Thanksgiving and cook it on Black Friday because we're doing the meal on Saturday.

Go ahead and brine it in an ice bath. It'll be fine as long as the ice doesn't melt.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Croatoan posted:

Go ahead and brine it in an ice bath. It'll be fine as long as the ice doesn't melt.

So it'll be fine thawed in the fridge until next week?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm thinking it'll be fine in icewater. Probably. I don't know, good luck. Don't die.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I mean, don't quote me if you die and I haven't had coffee yet so I'm not all there, but in a fridge in a bucket of salty ice-water is about as preserved as I can think of food getting.

Like, a hundred years ago people would do just one of those things and leave stuff for months so I guess you should be fine for a week.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If the water has a substantial amount of ice in it, it’s at 32 degrees F. It will be fine.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i remember someone in gws mentioning using corn husks to make a corn broth which could then be used in a corn crème brulee. does anyone have a recipe or any knowledge of the concept, it seems interesting as a non-pie based thanksgiving dessert

Wasn't me but I did recently make a corn broth (went with some cod and succotash). Principle is probably the same:

Take the corn husks and silk and toast them in the oven until they're dried and a nice golden brown. A little char is fine.
Break them up into pieces.
For savoury, steep them in hot chicken stock with garlic, onion and cracked coriander seed for about an hour. More if you have stuff to do. Overnight is probably best. Strain, reduce, taste.

For a Creme Brulee I'd steep them in hot heavy cream and maybe a little vanilla. Let it sit for a while. Strain the cream and use that to make the dessert.
The flavour isn't going to be massive so I'd think about making a little corn bourbon syrup to go with the creme brulee.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Sooo... I should put it in brine now?

Right now it's in its store packaging, in the fridge.

I feel like a week in salt water might be not the best idea?

Also, I don't have a fridge big enough to fit the brine container, the turkey itself barely fits as it's 21lbs.

Maybe I shouldn't just smoke this one this weekend and buy another turkey for Thanksgiving :(

I really didn't realize it'd thaw so quickly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Stop freaking out, Your turkey probably going to be OK. Brine it the night before.

Your turkey is probably not completely thawed through, even if the outside feels thawed

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 17, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Stop freaking out, Your turkey probably going to be OK. Brine it the night before.

Your turkey is probably not completely thawed through, even if the outside feels thawed

Correct, it's probably still quite frozen on the inside.

Or just cook it, and get another one for Thanksgiving. Turkey's not particularly expensive and you can pick this one clean and freeze it or something.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd go ahead and brine it in ice water.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

For crying out loud, make life easy on yourself and don't brine your turkey. Salt it. If it makes you feel better, you can call it a "dry brine", but it means you won't have to gently caress around with a tub of salt water.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I mean yes, but on the other hand when I took the effort to brine a turkey it was the best turkey I've tasted in my entire life so...

Kenji recommends the dry brine too which does seem easier.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

So much easier, and results that are at least as good.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
How long should I fridge a turk that's been in a deep freeze for a year so it cooks properly on thanksgiving?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Fridge now

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I want to make turkey leg confit using the chefsteps recipe where I’m cooking them at 149 for 24 hours in olive oil, except gently caress olive oil I want to use duck fat. Am I good to start these tonight, then stick the still-bagged legs in the fridge tomorrow and finish them thanksgiving?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Yes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I work in EMS and I'm working the night before and night of thanksgiving, so I'm going to bring in a side dish for everyone. What's something that's cheap and easy to make? I have twelve hours between shifts, so I need something I can make while sleep-deprived.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sweet potato? You can peel, chop, steam and half-rear end mash them and call it a day. Any amount of effort you put in past that (brown sugar, marshmallows, pecans, herbs, butter, thorough mashing) is completely voluntary and up to your level of laziness.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I work in EMS and I'm working the night before and night of thanksgiving, so I'm going to bring in a side dish for everyone. What's something that's cheap and easy to make? I have twelve hours between shifts, so I need something I can make while sleep-deprived.

I made cauliflower gratin last year for a side to a friendgiving and was gone in seconds.

Meanwhile, the stuffing, pecan sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie were completely untouched... cheese seems to have a way with people.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have a good recipe for blackened brussel sprouts in a lemon-vinagrette reduction that I’ll post when I’m not on a phone. It’s a solid side that takes like ten-fifteen minutes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

emotive posted:

I made cauliflower gratin last year for a side to a friendgiving and was gone in seconds.

Meanwhile, the stuffing, pecan sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie were completely untouched... cheese seems to have a way with people.

Cauliflower gratin is the poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have a good recipe for blackened brussel sprouts in a lemon-vinagrette reduction that I’ll post when I’m not on a phone. It’s a solid side that takes like ten-fifteen minutes.

That would be perfect, thanks!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
In lieu of turkey, we're going to do cornish game hens on Tuesday. Does anyone have a surefire preparation they'd like to share?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

About to make whole cranberry sauce with an added tin of sour cherries and freeze and ice block. Tomorrow sees me prepping the stuffing, spatchcocking and compound butter rubbing the turkey, making creamed pearl onions, and cranking out an infused simple syrup for the punch. Thursday is mashed spuds, roast squash, the freezer rolls my sister gave us when she lost power for a week, gravy, and bird over indirect heat on the charcoal grill with soaked wood chips. Plus assembling the punch and floating the ice block. Wife is handling pies (pumpkin from scratch and dutch apple using a Cook's Illustrated recipe), cranberry sauce, and her own stuffing as we seem to fight over what's best (she doesn't do gravy but likes natively wet stuffing where mine gets gravied to hell and gone). My father is bringing green beans, blackeyed peas, and mashed squash.

Having friends over on Saturday. That menu will include a small bowl of punch, beer from Vermont, deep dish turkey pot pie in a springform pan using leftover bird, roast or au gratin potatoes, pumpkin pie, brandied whipped cream, and more tea than is healthy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm trying my hand at a turkey roulade this year, and I know for sure I'll be using fresh figs and prosciutto in it. Any other suggestions that would work well with those two things?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dried apricots, dates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That would be perfect, thanks!

Sorry, traveling for the holiday meant that I was phone-posting for longer than I thought.

So here's the rough sketch of my recipe. I generally eye-ball everything so amounts are vague and should be adjusted to taste, but it's pretty simple.

Pan-Browned Brussel Sprouts with Lemon- Vinaigrette :

You will need :

Brussel sprouts, halved (Say a pound for now ; it scales fine depending on how many brussel sprouts you want)
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup water
A lemon (or like 2ish tablespoons lemon-juice)
1 tablespoon of brown sugar (or raw sugar or whatever works ; just white sugar doesn't work in my experience)

Optional : some kind of roasted nuts to sprinkle on top*

Add the vinegar, the water, the lemon-juice and the sugar in a small, wide-bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat and let it reduce until you get a runny glaze. Feel free to toss a bit of lemon zest in there if you're feeling fancy, I guess. If you're in a rush you can do this on as high a temperature as you want, the only issue is that the vinegar fumes can get pretty over-whelming : subject to your nose's tolerance and your ventilation.

While that's going, drizzle oil into a wide pan for the brussel sprouts. The wider and hotter the better. I find that the best is one of the porcelain-coated cast-iron jobs like you buy from Le Creuset, but anything that'll get nice and hot works good. Once the oil's going good, place the sprouts in cut-side down to brown up, swishing them around every once in a while so they don't get stuck but letting them mostly just do their own thing. Flip them over with tongs to get the other side, and (maybe) back onto the cut-side for a final crisping. You know they're done when they get all dark and crunchy and some are falling apart. Drizzle with the lemon vinaigrette and nuts if you're adding those. Serve immediately.

It's a super simple recipe because I basically improvised it like 5 years ago while in a rush and half-drunk, but it's super popular and it gets demanded pretty frequently. You can make it in a broiler too if you're pushed for burners or don't want to futz with it, but I don't like that as much.

Hope this helps!

*I personally am not a big fan but other people like it with like some roasted walnuts. You do you.

• Locked thread