Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Murgos posted:

I'm excited for my rib roast. 8 lbs pf 30 day dry aged USDA prime beef.

Also, I will make several loaves of fresh bread.

My wife and inlaws will be making other crap, I just want the meat and bread. Maybe some butter.

I'm also doing a rib roast. Herb crusted and cooked sous vide. I made it a few months ago and it was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hopefully that helps!

Hell yes it does. Plain old All-Purpose Flour okay?

I need to make a list and then go be that loving white guy at the asian store. So excited.

Also I'm totally going to fry these things, just because it upsets you. Also I lost my steamer basket.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I use cake flour, generally, but all purpose should be fine.

And I must have not been clear! Definitely fry! Steaming is... Fine. I guess. But never as good.

Also, fyi if you don't live alone, maybe don't have anyone watch you fold out the first bit of dough and put in the filling. You will make an omnishambles of it and drop stuff and be gross (unless you're waaaaaaay better than me when I started, in which case, go you). You'll get it down after like 3 and master it in no time, but that first one is pretty embarrassing.

Please let me know how it goes!

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Oh, I misread then.

Yeah, will do. Fingers crossed for this weekend. Thanks!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm not sure I've ever had fried bao, but man do I want to now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It's so crunchy on the outside but gooey on the inside and perfect.

It's like a dumpling hosed a biscuit in all of the best ways that implies.

Ninja edit : I mean pan fried for the record. I never even thought of what a deep fried bao would be but I'm kind of terrified.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

rockcity posted:

I'm also doing a rib roast. Herb crusted and cooked sous vide. I made it a few months ago and it was incredible.

I don't have a sous vide so I just do the reverse sear.

250 until 125 F on the thermometer (4ish hours). Let rest thoroughly (at least 30 minutes). Sear in oven at hottest temp for 10 minutes. Serve.

Comes out beautiful.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m replicating a goon from last year and have a few questions. The menu, to be eaten Monday night, is: tourtiere, gravy, mashed potatoes and rutabaga, canned Heinz baked beans, rosemary yeast rolls, winter salad, and a chocolate buttermilk pie. I’m basically trying to make everything but the salad today or tomorrow and bring it over, because my parents don’t want me doing a lot in their kitchen (it stresses them out, don’t ask).

Question 1)
Is it okay to go ahead and make the mashed potatoes tonight and reheat them Monday? What would be the best way to reheat?

Question 2)
Same question for the buttermilk pie, but not planning to reheat it.

Question 3)
Would it be okay to premake the dough for he yeast rolls and just keep it refrigerated a few days before forming and baking on Monday?

Question 4)
The ground veal I got for the tourtiere is frozen. Can I quick thaw it in the sink tonight or will that ruin the texture too much?

Thanks, everyone!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

fr0id posted:

I’m replicating a goon from last year and have a few questions. The menu, to be eaten Monday night, is: tourtiere, gravy, mashed potatoes and rutabaga, canned Heinz baked beans, rosemary yeast rolls, winter salad, and a chocolate buttermilk pie. I’m basically trying to make everything but the salad today or tomorrow and bring it over, because my parents don’t want me doing a lot in their kitchen (it stresses them out, don’t ask).

Question 1)
Is it okay to go ahead and make the mashed potatoes tonight and reheat them Monday? What would be the best way to reheat?

Question 2)

Question 3)
Would it be okay to premake the dough for he yeast rolls and just keep it refrigerated a few days before forming and baking on Monday?

Question 4)
The ground veal I got for the tourtiere is frozen. Can I quick thaw it in the sink tonight or will that ruin the texture too much?

Thanks, everyone!

1. Yeah. Nuke it.

2. idk

3. No. maybe 1 day but you'll over prove it. With yeast rolls you could maybe do it that morning and do a cold proofing for the second one but I wouldn't go over that.

4. Yeah, just leave it under a slow stream of cold water for an hour.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fr0id posted:

I’m replicating a goon from last year and have a few questions.

Well son, when a mummy goon and a daddy goon love each other very much...:shobon:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have a 5.6lb boneless ribeye roast to cook tomorrow. Any favorite recipes and/or tips?

Otherwise it's Google and joy of cooking time.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

I have a 5.6lb boneless ribeye roast to cook tomorrow. Any favorite recipes and/or tips?

Otherwise it's Google and joy of cooking time.

Read back just four posts.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Murgos posted:

I don't have a sous vide so I just do the reverse sear.

250 until 125 F on the thermometer (4ish hours). Let rest thoroughly (at least 30 minutes). Sear in oven at hottest temp for 10 minutes. Serve.

Comes out beautiful.

I might need to cook mine to ~135 since I think my brother and I are the only ones do medium rare. I could just do it lower, like 130 and cook individual portions a little longer in the oven, but I think some fat rendering is probably a good thing here.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

rockcity posted:

Read back just four posts.

drat how did I miss that. Thanks!

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

fr0id posted:

Question 1)

Question 2)

Question 3)

Question 4)

Thanks, everyone!

Croatoan covered most of these, but buttermilk pie will be fine to make ahead. Cover it with shrink wrap and refrigerate. I made two for my birthday, and they lasted 5 days and were just fine.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

drat how did I miss that. Thanks!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html

Is where I get my technique from.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks yeah once I had your reverse sear terminology I came across that also as I read more on the technique.

2 hours in and 96° I am aiming for 125-130 at 3 hours so hopefully my size/timing guess works out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I was hoping to do the turchetta but my parents were unable to buy a turkey crown and just got an entire turkey so will cook that instead. Curious if it'll fit in the oven if its spatchcocked

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
You can break down the turkey and cook the dark meat separately and still do the turchetta. That is what I did for Thanksgiving. Smoked all the dark meat a few days later.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Bao bao bao bao bao

Right, so had a run at these yesterday. Total time 7 hours.

Ran into an issue with the dough, I think largely because it is very cold and dry here just now. To warm the dough during rising, I set the bowl on top of a 200F oven, which I think drove out too much water. The dough ended up very dry, not sticky at all. So I added more water and some sesame oil at the end and worked it in.

2nd rise was two hours instead of one, with a couple of punchings thrown in. Like I said, cold and dry here.

Hot drat these are great. Ate until stuffed last night, and the wife and I are finishing them off for breakfast now.

Query about frying, though: I couldn't get them to reliably seal on top, so I did a half-fry, half-steam that some website recommended (fry until golden on the bottom, add 1/4 cup water then put lid on to steam). Seems good but I'd like more frying action. Do you have recommendations on getting these to seal without leaks? Or do you have a different process?

Thanks for the recipe, totally going to make these again, with a closer attention to the hydration.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yay! So glad you liked them.

Yeah, you probably over-did it by putting it next to the oven. It wants to be at like 75 degrees. Maybe next to somewhere warm with a humidifier?

As to sealing... nope. There isn’t a magic trick. You just kind of get a feel for it. Try and think about it as a pinching motion is the best way I can describe it.

And the tossing the water in for a half-steam thing is a classic ; that’s basically how you make pot-stickers. For a crispier finish, reverse the order a bit. Low heat with oil, toss in some water and cover to steam, then high heat to crisp up? If you’re confident in you seal (if!!!) you can also carefully flip them over with tongs.

In general once you do it 2-3 times you get the basic principles and it’s a great recipe to riff off of and experiment on. And even when you mess up it’s always delicious. You’re worst case scenario is usually ugly, not gross. “O no my bao fell apart and I have to scoop fillings in and eat it like a taco. The horror...”

Glad to help! Good luck and enjoy!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's officially Christmas, I've made the Red Stuff.

My family's traditional cranberry/orange/raspberry jello salad.

Nothing ambitious out of me this year, I'm working tonight, so I'm going to heat up a chunk of cherry bourbon smoked ham tomorrow, with this stuff, some cauliflower gratin, and green bean cassarole.

Comfort food.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/christmas-tourtiere-recipe

I made this and am thawing it. What temp and how long to reheat it do y’all think?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Merry Christmas, folks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mom: what're you making for Christmas dinner
Me: galbi jjim (braised shortrib)
Mom: you're gonna screw it up because it's your first time
Me: I'll show you! (buys 10 lbs of shortribs, makes 2 different shortrib recipes, buys $20 of pine nuts, cuts the carrots into balls like traditional Korean style, browns the beef in a skillet even though most Korean recipes don't bother with browning and just boil meat to death)
Mom: I can't come over, I got a cold

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

drat, I'd eat that.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Anyone got a good recipe for scallion pancakes?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Thanks for having me take the goose fat seriously, thread. It was a fun bird to cook and my father, wife, and son want it again next year. Mother and daughter were less impressed and I need an easier second maindish for them. Will just pre-freeze tourtiere as was the old tradition and throw it in the oven with the goose until ready.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

Thanks for having me take the goose fat seriously, thread. It was a fun bird to cook and my father, wife, and son want it again next year. Mother and daughter were less impressed and I need an easier second maindish for them. Will just pre-freeze tourtiere as was the old tradition and throw it in the oven with the goose until ready.

Happy to help!

You reserved all that golden goodness for frying eggs.... right?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Shamelessly crossposted from the regular dinner thread as I'm really happy how it turned out this year.

Christmas Dinner 2017

Dinner for my parents and my girlfriend on Christmas eve (the big night for us). Picked up a few recipes on a trip to Greece, a few more from the amazing French Laundry cookbook by Thomas Keller, some from Gordon Ramsay, Michel Troisgros and others and a few of my own devising. Lots of fun to make everything, and I really like pulling out all the stops at least once a year.

Took about 11 hours of prep and 4 hours to eat everything and drink four bottles of good paired wines.

Inspired by the trip to Greece; first amuse of hazelnut with shrimp and rosemary

Second amuse of pickled oyster, cucumber cappellini and *fake caviar. (Thomas Keller recipe)

First course; carrot puree with citrus confit, pan-fried spinach with sesame oil and lemon confit (recipe by Michel Troisgros)

Second course: Salmon parfait, cucumber 'soup' and tomato jelly with cream, chervil and *fake caviar (Alain Passard recipe)

Third course: Black and white sesame seed coated tuna with beetroot puree, spiced orange jellies and salad leaves. Inspired by a wonderful trip to Greece.

Fourth course: Pan fried foie gras with armagnac-flambéed granny smith apple and chocolate brioche, covered with fresh-shaved black truffle. (own recipe)

Fifth Course: Pan-roasted duck breast with cauliflower and thyme puree, sage sauce and chantarelle mushrooms. Shaved some more black truffle on after but forgot to take a pic. (own recipe)

Sixth course: Roe deer fillet with red wine sauce and braised shallots and squash. Only recipe that didn't quite work as the sauce split quite badly. (Thomas Keller recipe)

Seventh Course: Cheese plate. Clockwise; camembert soaked in calvados, young goats' cheese with truffle, Saint Augur blue cheese and Brie de Meaux

Eighth and Final Course: Granny Smith apple and vanilla butterscotch, prunes soaked in armagnac and Greek yoghurt. (Gordon Ramsay)

Also an hour to do the washing up because no dishwasher.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Despite the valiant nomming of four adults this week, I still have a metric fuckton of roasted pork loin left over from our Christmas dinner. Any suggestions for a good recipe to use up the rest? Only limiting factor is an egg allergy, so no quiches or omelets, tragically.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Junior G-man posted:

Shamelessly crossposted from the regular dinner thread as I'm really happy how it turned out this year.

Christmas Dinner 2017

Holy poo poo

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

the_chavi posted:

Despite the valiant nomming of four adults this week, I still have a metric fuckton of roasted pork loin left over from our Christmas dinner. Any suggestions for a good recipe to use up the rest? Only limiting factor is an egg allergy, so no quiches or omelets, tragically.
that's going to be a tall order, pork loin is one of the tender cuts so cooking it again will turn it to rubber.
get yourself some baguette and make cuban sandwichs?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

the_chavi posted:

Carnitas

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I wanted to post a follow up to my cooking adventure with this ribeye roast. I ended up having a temp reading of 120° at the 3 hour mark and decided to put the meat back in for 10 more minutes as inserting the temp probe had me feeling like I really should go for another few degrees. As it turned out I wish I had pulled it at 3 hours. The herb rub recipe I used didn't seem to make enough so I want to figure out a better quantity and perhaps even mix for next time.

Album link for anyone so inclined.

Overall the roast was amazing and the best non-steak meat I've ever cooked. Any tips on how to carve would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

You reserved all that golden goodness for frying eggs.... right?

Eggs!? And here I was mostly using the fat for spuds. Know what I'm doing for breakfast, tomorrow.

• Locked thread