Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I work in EMS and I'm working the night before and night of thanksgiving, so I'm going to bring in a side dish for everyone. What's something that's cheap and easy to make? I have twelve hours between shifts, so I need something I can make while sleep-deprived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have a good recipe for blackened brussel sprouts in a lemon-vinagrette reduction that I’ll post when I’m not on a phone. It’s a solid side that takes like ten-fifteen minutes.

That would be perfect, thanks!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sorry, traveling for the holiday meant that I was phone-posting for longer than I thought.

So here's the rough sketch of my recipe. I generally eye-ball everything so amounts are vague and should be adjusted to taste, but it's pretty simple.

Pan-Browned Brussel Sprouts with Lemon- Vinaigrette :

You will need :

Brussel sprouts, halved (Say a pound for now ; it scales fine depending on how many brussel sprouts you want)
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup water
A lemon (or like 2ish tablespoons lemon-juice)
1 tablespoon of brown sugar (or raw sugar or whatever works ; just white sugar doesn't work in my experience)

Optional : some kind of roasted nuts to sprinkle on top*

Add the vinegar, the water, the lemon-juice and the sugar in a small, wide-bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat and let it reduce until you get a runny glaze. Feel free to toss a bit of lemon zest in there if you're feeling fancy, I guess. If you're in a rush you can do this on as high a temperature as you want, the only issue is that the vinegar fumes can get pretty over-whelming : subject to your nose's tolerance and your ventilation.

While that's going, drizzle oil into a wide pan for the brussel sprouts. The wider and hotter the better. I find that the best is one of the porcelain-coated cast-iron jobs like you buy from Le Creuset, but anything that'll get nice and hot works good. Once the oil's going good, place the sprouts in cut-side down to brown up, swishing them around every once in a while so they don't get stuck but letting them mostly just do their own thing. Flip them over with tongs to get the other side, and (maybe) back onto the cut-side for a final crisping. You know they're done when they get all dark and crunchy and some are falling apart. Drizzle with the lemon vinaigrette and nuts if you're adding those. Serve immediately.

It's a super simple recipe because I basically improvised it like 5 years ago while in a rush and half-drunk, but it's super popular and it gets demanded pretty frequently. You can make it in a broiler too if you're pushed for burners or don't want to futz with it, but I don't like that as much.

Hope this helps!

*I personally am not a big fan but other people like it with like some roasted walnuts. You do you.

Thanks for this! Didn't get to make them because I wasn't able to find Brussels sprouts for some reason

Definitely going to do it for Christmas though

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 24, 2017

• Locked thread