Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dugnutt has issues missing bats this season and he doubled his walk rate to 2.16 BB/9 which resulted in an atrocious 1.49 WHIP and a 3-11 record... except he also posted a better ERA and FIP than last year (3.19/3.06), and put up 1.4 WAR which is more than he put up as Cleveland's closer the year prior. Looking at his stats it seems likely the huge spike in hits allowed can be chalked up to a huge BABIP inflation (.383 vs .279 the year prior) so maybe the Rays' defense just blows.

e. Yep, just checked and Tampa Bay has the worst ZR in all of MLB. Maybe don't trade for an extreme groundball pitcher who relies on defense if you suck at fielding!

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Jack Worthy posted a 12.5% K Rate for the 100 win Padres but accidentally hit 40 HR's as well (though I guess "the bleachers" counts as hitting them where they ain't). Only started 118 games for some reason (148 total)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Good ol' Tonya Guitar has been a ~4 WAR player for each of her first three seasons in the majors, which is kinda what I was hoping. Is there a way to see catcher defensive stats? I wanna see how many runners she's gunning down.

In 2023 she got a 1 year, $680,000 contract.
In 2024 she got a 6 year, $120,200,000 contract, still with the Pirates, so maybe Nutting is gone in this fantasy world.

Also William Eckstein-Bloomquist is her backup but still posted 2.2 WAR in 2024, that's a hell of a tandem.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

P Washington Irving looks to be on a trek to play for every team in baseball.

Feb 22nd:
Oakland Athletics: Claimed RP Washington Irving off waivers from Toronto.

June 5th:
Chicago White Sox: Claimed RP Washington Irving off waivers from Oakland.

June 22nd:
Milwaukee Brewers: Claimed RP Washington Irving off waivers from Chicago.

Despite all of this his morale is still great and he hopes to make it as a LOOGY for years to come.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

January 19th, 2024; Rogers Arena, Edmonton, Alberta

"Ahhhh damnit!" Mike shouted as he threw his arms in the air, his beloved Oilers giving up yet another garbage goal. "If they keep squandering leads like this, we'll be out of the playoffs again!" He sighs, knowing deep down in his heart that his comment will come true. Mike turns to his girlfriend Jennifer, sitting beside him, "hey, I'm going to hit the can and go jump the lines at intermission; do you want anything, doll?" He asks.

"I'm fine, Mike, but I think you've had enough to drink tonight already!" Jennifer replied, an air of concern in her voice.

"Relax, I'm just going to get a hot dog and a water or something; back in a flash!" With that, Mike wavered as he got up and dashed down the steep stairs to the concessions. Part way down the flight of stairs, Mike stepped in a puddle of spilled pop, "oooohh shiiit!" He exclaimed as his foot slipped out from under him, losing his balance and taking a mighty tumble, hitting his head and knocking him out cold...

"Mike...."

"Miiiiiiiike..."

"MICHAEL!!!"

Mike gave his head a shake and opened his eyes, "yyeeaa....whaaa..." He groaned, "wh...where am I?"

"Hey! I was wondering when you were going to come to!" Another voice said, close by.

"What's happening?" Mike asked, a little disorientated.

"You drank one too many of those rank stadium beers, Mike, and you took a bit of a tumble..." The voice replied.

Mike regained some more awareness of his situation, remembering he was at the hockey game, and now decidedly isn't. "Wait, where am I?" He asked as he got up.

"That's... complicated..." The voice said.

"Am I...dead?!" Mike asked, his fear palpable.

"Well..." The voice replied, as if it was trying to cover something up.

Mike stood up, finding he was more or less intact and looked around, in a place seeming bathed in white light. Suddenly, he gasped, at the sight of a large, anthropomorphic hot dog. "Who the hell are you, and why do you sound David Eckstein?" Mike asked, his brow furrowed.

"Well, Mike," the hot dog continued, that's I am the ghost of David Eckstein's potential...all the home runs, the hitting power, the skill and finesse he was supposed to have...everything he was never able to use. Ever since David never hit puberty, I have been forced to roam the earth, helping minor leaguers find their true self, and now I am here to teach you The True Secrets of Baseball. Are you ready to learn, my child?"

"I am..." Mike said, not entirely sure he was ready to learn how to play baseball from an eight-foot tall talking sandwich. "But how will I remember all of this, you know, if I'm not quite alive or dead?" The hot dog bent over and scooped up a handful of dirt, and placed it in Mike's hand.

"Take this, put it in your pocket. It's a reminder to you...never rely on grit, like my David needed to." The hot dog spirit cautioned. "Now let me teach you the magic of the uppercut swing..." Mike watched intently, absorbing everything he could, about plate discipline, strategic hitting and how to see the baseball coming in better. Just as everything started to click, Mike started to hear voices...different ones...familiar ones...

"David, what's going on?" Mike asked, alarmed at the new voices.

"You're coming around, I think...we don't have much time!" the hot dog replied, as the ethereal light surrounding them began to fade, "Just remember, never rely on grit, Michael, for if you do..."

Mike's eyes opened with a start; he found himself on his back, his girlfriend and a team of paramedics surrounding him. "Mike, are you alright?!" Jennifer shrieked, holding his hand tight.

"Wha...what happened? Where's the hot dog? Where did David go?" Mike asked, confused and squinting his eyes.

"You fell down a flight of stairs, Mike...we're going to the hospital to get you checked out, you're going to be fine!" Jennifer replied. "Wait...hot dog? David? What are you talking about?"

"Jenny, I think I know now...I think I know how to play baseball now. And not just play, but play..."

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

what type of brawl happened that James World-Peace got nine games :stare:

time to fire up the narrative machine

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Free Rotch

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Carlosologist posted:

I want to know how a man named World-Peace gets in a fight to begin with.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Poque posted:

Good ol' Tonya Guitar has been a ~4 WAR player for each of her first three seasons in the majors, which is kinda what I was hoping. Is there a way to see catcher defensive stats? I wanna see how many runners she's gunning down.

In 2023 she got a 1 year, $680,000 contract.
In 2024 she got a 6 year, $120,200,000 contract, still with the Pirates, so maybe Nutting is gone in this fantasy world.

Also William Eckstein-Bloomquist is her backup but still posted 2.2 WAR in 2024, that's a hell of a tandem.

Willie played 48 games at catcher and 24 at shortstop. His 2.2 WAR was accrued in 268 plate appearances. I really think the Pirates could extract a lot more value from him than they are.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Carlosologist posted:

I hope it’s the same one Money got 4 games for.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

Is there a way to see catcher defensive stats? I wanna see how many runners she's gunning down.

Yep, it is on the player page. She's 45 for 132 in her career but was down a bit last year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

I want to know how a man named World-Peace gets in a fight to begin with.

Someone doesn't get the reference

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Someone doesn't get the reference

It was a basketball dude, wasn't it? That's all I can really conjure up.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Malice at the Palace sounds like a Don King promotion.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

rickiep00h posted:

It was a basketball dude, wasn't it? That's all I can really conjure up.

To explain the whooshing: Metta World Peace, then known as Ron Artest, was suspended for the balance of the 2004-2005 NBA season (73 regular season games + playoffs) for his role in a brawl between the Detroit Pistons and Indiana Pacers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mr. Fix It posted:

To explain the whooshing: Metta World Peace, then known as Ron Artest, was suspended for the balance of the 2004-2005 NBA season (73 regular season games + playoffs) for his role in a brawl between the Detroit Pistons and Indiana Pacers.

But did he STOP brawling after he changed his name? I mean, this is the relevant part. If he chilled out, okay. But our baseball man is already named World-Peace.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just gonna do whole years from now on if everyone is cool w that.

2025 MLB Season
League Website HERE

World Series Champions: Texas Rangers (again)
AL Pennant: Texas Rangers
NL Pennant: the unfortunately named San Antonio Cherokees

AL MVP: Rusty Giuliano
NL MVP: Jack Worthy

AL Cy Young: Leroy "Satchel" Paige
NL Cy Young: Luis Ortiz

League News
Hall of Fame Inductions: Roy Halladay (RIP)
Sandy Alomar Jr wins manager of the year
Reds and Royals both get new owners. Royals owner appears to suck rear end so that's cool.

Goon Player News
Several goons hit free agency: Liksnart, Doggle, and Trent are headliners. Kayani finally makes his way to MLB, probably, after a 9 win season in NPB.
World Peace with two 4 game suspensions for BRAWLING, misses 5 weeks but still finishes 2nd in MVP voting and puts up 7.3 WAR
Jack Worthy wins MVP with a 59 dinger season
Guitar, Liksnart, Rotch all miss lots of time
Mingus destroys his knee
Main gets back on track then elbow falls apart
Satchel Paige wrecks poo poo, Dirgler is up over 300 lbs and is starting to break down some
The immortal Gord Doug might be making his way back to MLB

GOON TRACKER

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

McCrenshawbergssen looks destined to top out at great, putting up 7 win seasons with legit 3B defense, 30+ HR and a ~.900 OPS.

His 49 doubles helped him finish 2nd in total bases but the Angels were abysmal.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Snout DFA’d by Atlanta and immediately claimed by the Jays, where he has a solidly unremarkable year (still can’t take a loving WALK) but still manages to stay ahead of noted Beefy Lad Kyle Schwarber at 1B for most of the year. Signs a 1-year arb deal for double what he was making with ATL and 50% more than they had projected him at.

He’ll probably never play RF as long as they continue to employ Vlad Jr. but he has the benefit of being younger and better than Schwarbs so 1B is probably his for the foreseeable future. Probably.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

bewbies posted:

Goon Player News
The immortal Gord Doug might be making his way back to MLB

True Canadian Gord Doug, refusing to give up on his dream of making an MLB team by working hard in Japan. :canada:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

bewbies posted:

NL MVP: Jack Worthy

Goon Player News
Jack Worthy wins MVP with a 59 dinger season

Jack: "My one goal in life is to hit ball."

Padres Hitting Coach: "Okay but what if you hit the ball... really really hard?"

Jack: :aaaaa:

His K% went up though, from 12.5 to 13.7%. Not sure it was worth it IMHO.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dugnutt had a really weird season in which he posted a 4.59 ERA and just missed 1 or more WAR for the first time in his career, but also picked up 43 saves across 84.1 IP as Tampa Bay's now closer. He also apparently pitched his first postseason game: 2.2 innings of relief before finally running out of gas and surrendering the winning run. Is Baker managing the Rays or something?

Also the Rays extended him for a year with a $3.3m contract.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Willie Eckstein-Bloomquist got traded to San Antonio and had another +2 WAR season as the secondary catcher to some guy named Steven Williams. They then bought out his arbitration years and then some with a 6 year contract extension worth $59,080,000. Still think he should play 2B fulltime.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Moshe did another great job in AAA, but now he's a free agent and I assume he won't get signed for 2026 :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Argul bounces back with an all star campaign!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Get hosed, Diamondbacks

Also please get better Hanzo :ohdear:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Mike Truk fell back a bit from his 2024 performance, only hitting 42 dingers and going .237/.377/.501...as if that's even close to a bad thing, considering he was day to day for pretty much all of April. His strikeout rate has dropped as well, which is encouraging to see. If he can keep it up, Mike looks like he's here to stay in the bigs!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
edit

bewbies fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 13, 2017

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

The only move Rotch should be making is out of Cincinnati, amiright

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

After a couple All-Star, but overall disappointing for Money seasons, he decided to get back to the basics, getting hits and putting on mass. Now 285 lbs., Money has finally achieved his dream of winning a batting title, which help him turn in his best season to date. Also of note is that he gritted his way to a league leading 17 HBP. Truly a landmark season.

Ambassador of Funk fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 6, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I wouldn't exactly call it a breakout but Bobson had a fantastic year: 2.90/2.87 ERA/FIP, 83.2 IP, lead all of MLB in saves (47), was AL Pitcher of the Month for June (1-0, 10/10 SV/OP, 0.55 ERA, 14 K, 2 BB in 16.1 IP) put up the the highest WAR of his career (1.7) and inked an $8m deal for 2027. Not too shabby.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Tempus, uh...at least he's getting paid, right? Also he pitched an inning of relief, so that's cool.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Sydin posted:

I wouldn't exactly call it a breakout but Bobson had a fantastic year: 2.90/2.87 ERA/FIP, 83.2 IP, lead all of MLB in saves (47), was AL Pitcher of the Month for June (1-0, 10/10 SV/OP, 0.55 ERA, 14 K, 2 BB in 16.1 IP) put up the the highest WAR of his career (1.7) and inked an $8m deal for 2027. Not too shabby.

83.2 IP? Do the Rays not have a 5th starter or something?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ambassador of Funk posted:

83.2 IP? Do the Rays not have a 5th starter or something?

It's actually less innings than he threw last year, believe it or not:

2023: 75 IP
2024: 79 IP
2025: 84.1 IP
2026: 83.2 IP

The Rays actually don't have a 5th starter apparently, but looking at the stats it just appears Bobson gets run out all the goddamn time even when there's no save on the line. He appeared a whopping 81 games, and lead all MLB in games finished with 69.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Mike Truk had even more insane year than his 2023 season, hitting .298/.426/.664 and hitting 58 dongers, good for an 8.0 WAR, and also good for a second place finish for the NL MVP behind James World Peace, who was pretty much in an entirely different league to everyone else this year :stare:

Also, it looks like fellow Edmonton product Boon Doggle was traded to the Cardinals in the offseason, so Mike has a hometown friend on his team :unsmith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Welp, I guess Moshe is proving "If you're a lefty who can throw strikes, you'll have a job" adage false. Godammit.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

poo poo some of your guys are silly!

Dangit, McCrenshawbergssen finally stepped it up to the next level (.334/.384/.664, 42 HR, 9.3 War) but only managed 503 ABs due to a broken foot and separated shoulder.

Still, silver slugger and a gold glove at 3B with another 3rd place MVP finish.

Man I hope he gets out of LA, the Angels suuuck.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Man, I was hoping that loving with Waldo’s intangibles would lead to more ejections / suspensions. Instead he just keeps getting injured.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Jack Worthy had 100 Ks and 100 BBs, striking out 14.6% of the time. His K rate has been steadily rising every year. Thinking Little Cowboy needs to go back to the basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Man, I was hoping that loving with Waldo’s intangibles would lead to more ejections / suspensions. Instead he just keeps getting injured.

I see he herniated another disk. What’s the count on that now? I’ve never seen a spine rebel against a person so openly.

• Locked thread