Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Do we know if Shogun and Yggdroid portraits would be available for selection from the beginning?

The answer is probably no but I'd love to use the new Shogun portrait for a Hoplite/Ninja, or the new Yggdroid for a Zodiac/Gladiator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
"even on the PC, FOE" I think scans better and you get the rhyme?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A question about Lucky Scarabs in Untold 1: does the effect only apply to the person using them or does a single one work for the entire party?

I had one fight where 4 people had a grimoire chance in single turn, but I left the scarabs I had at the guildhouse.

Edit: I never finished OG ET 1, but I definitely remember the five day trial quest. Did they really have to bring that one back? Now, I am cheesing it with zero encounters in the wyvern's room as I am typing this, but still...

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 31, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mierenneuker posted:

A question about Lucky Scarabs in Untold 1: does the effect only apply to the person using them or does a single one work for the entire party?

I had one fight where 4 people had a grimoire chance in single turn, but I left the scarabs I had at the guildhouse.

Edit: I never finished OG ET 1, but I definitely remember the five day trial quest. Did they really have to bring that one back? Now, I am cheesing it with zero encounters in the wyvern's room as I am typing this, but still...

Grimoire related consumables only work for the user and only for the turn used.

Also in EOU, only one grimoire can be generated per character within a given battle. So no spamming hunting horns for unlimited grimoires.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 31, 2023

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Is there a save editor of some kind for EO2U? I know there's one for EO4, but I'm mainly after getting to use the Fafnir Knight on classic without having to play through the entirety of story mode to do so. Or am I just out of luck here?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Grashbar posted:

Is there a save editor of some kind for EO2U? I know there's one for EO4, but I'm mainly after getting to use the Fafnir Knight on classic without having to play through the entirety of story mode to do so. Or am I just out of luck here?
if there is, I still need to make a file for that 5 Fafnir run

no more games :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the new portraits are incredible. hoping that they keep this energy for eo6.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t trust that doctor

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Would you prefer a medic who is absolutely stoked about emptying multiple tubes in an orifice?

(from EO IV)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

hatty posted:

I don’t trust that doctor

s/he kinda looks like a EO4 Landsknecht who did a job change and went a little bit silly

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4zB2IkAXS0

English overview trailer.

Nothing much new shown off here. Seems they'll be mostly sticking to the original localization.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Araxxor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4zB2IkAXS0

English overview trailer.

Nothing much new shown off here. Seems they'll be mostly sticking to the original localization.

Gonna be so great on my deck

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I still can't get over that terrible font

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I got some whiplash upon noticing that party member name. A funny coincidence to me. :v: (I doubt it's an intentional reference to the EO3 LP, as the name is attached to a Farmer, not a Monk.)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Would be interesting to see just how Unity, or whatever that is, handles fonts. The original games used a tiny bitmap font (2 and 3 used the DS's innate font) that you obviously wouldn't be able to use in HD... The battle menu that we're used to is obviously not a font but graphics of a font.

It might be that whoever is handling the localization just doesn't know what makes a good font. Like, even I'm not sure what specific quality would make a good HD font. More open loops and more even spacing? Then, it has to be vector, and you have to license it (or even make it) and whatever else.

I've made my own fonts for video game projects before, but they're all low-resolution bitmaps for a single output resolution.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the font could also be placeholder.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
It just needs to be big enough. That’s all I loving ask.

I’m def getting these, but am curious about them. Of the three which do y’all think is the best? Good to just play them in release order or what?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I imagine you'd want some more details on what has actually changed between the original and HD version that is NOT related to UI, visuals or audio components. For example, I'm sure they've touched the amount of levels lost when resting (skill point reset), but I would get some confirmation on that.

Personally I still have a 3DS with remakes Untold 1 and 2, so I'd only be interested in III. Not enough to pick it up for 40 bucks, but definitely when it gets closer to 20.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

It just needs to be big enough. That’s all I loving ask.

I’m def getting these, but am curious about them. Of the three which do y’all think is the best? Good to just play them in release order or what?

3's generally considered to be the best of the DS trilogy, though the other 2 games are good as well.

The games are not tightly interconnected, so if you feel like jumping to another title or starting off with EO2 or 3 instead, feel free. You won't miss out on much, though EO2 does have a few save file... bonuses (or penalties...) if you have it read an EO1 save at the start of the game. Feel free to start with any title or bounce around as you choose.

Mierenneuker posted:

I imagine you'd want some more details on what has actually changed between the original and HD version that is NOT related to UI, visuals or audio components. For example, I'm sure they've touched the amount of levels lost when resting (skill point reset), but I would get some confirmation on that.

We have absolutely no confirmation on this yet.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Araxxor posted:

EO2 does have a few save file... bonuses (or penalties...) if you have it read an EO1 save at the start of the game.

Is there a list of the changes anywhere? I imported my save way back when on DS, but I didn't know it did anything other than giving you the accessory at the start.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

Is there a list of the changes anywhere? I imported my save way back when on DS, but I didn't know it did anything other than giving you the accessory at the start.

Neutral:
-Your guild name from EO1 transfers over, though you have the option to change it at the start.
-Dialogue changes here and there. Nothing substantial, though you're treated as veterans who saved Etria occasionally. (There's sure some revisionist history going on here...)

Bonuses:
-If you've gotten the Town Medal (beat the game) or Town Crown (100% the game) in EO1, you'll get a severely nerfed version of it at the start of the game. Town Medal provides +10 HP and TP, and +1 to all other stats. Town Crown provides +20 HP and TP, and +2 to all other stats. It's handy but falls off past the first stratum. Makes the early game slightly easier but it's certainly not vital.
-There is a guard on floor 2 that will sell you a Gladius or a Theriaca Beta X for 1,000 en. This is a one time deal, and the Theriaca Beta X is the better option as that can only be bought a lot later and costs 4,500 en, while the Gladius costs 280 en in the store.
-There is a guard on floor 10 that will sell you thread for 1,000 en. If you don't have that much he'll sell it to you for 500 en, but won't go any lower than that. This is a one time deal. As for why this is technically a bonus, there's a squirrel nearby in case you didn't learn your lesson the first time.

Penalties:
-When you start the mapping mission, a guard in the Labyrinth will provide 5 free Medicas. Unless you're playing a password game, then no such supplies are given to you.
-There is a resting spot event on floor 1 where if you say yes, everyone recovers 10 HP and TP. If you say no, you get into a battle with 2 Venomflies. In a password game, both options cause a battle with the Venomflies.
-On floor 17 there is a surprise event where you will battle 2 Petaloids and a Rainbug, or 3 Petaloids that's a guaranteed blindside depending on how you answer the question. On no password games, this event doesn't exist.
-There is an event in the secret area on floor 3 where you get into a fight with 3 Raidmoles at once (FOEs) that will easily tear any unprepared party to shreds, but you get an Evil Rock for your troubles.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE3S29jd9pY

Another overview trailer.

FOEs don't spontaneously teleport across tiles anymore in 1 and 2. They visibly move like in 3 now, which is a nice visual update.

Picnic is shown in action. Works like in Nexus it looks like, party deals 5x damage, they only take 0.1x damage. So it's a dedicated "gently caress this" button. No idea if it affects exp but that already kinda speeds things up a bit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

That new Dark Hunter portrait doesn't know if it wants to be sexy, sad or goofy.

Edit: Here's a picture with all of the new ones from a while back -
https://www.reddit.com/gallery/10xeb1d

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

That new Dark Hunter portrait doesn't know if it wants to be sexy, sad or goofy.

Seeing as to how multiple people end up in this state, it's the most realistic Dark Hunter yet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oops. Some code tinkering went awry.

Anyways I was doing some research on EO3's sea because that part of the game is like, extremely undocumented. One of the banes of 100%ing EO3 is getting the drat Overlord Squid, which I looked into exactly how it works. And it's probably gonna be handy to know for the collection assuming nothing changes there.

So the way fishing works in this game is that each fishing spot gives you several rolls at the fish, which varies from spot to spot. You can't get nothing from a fishing spot, so if you somehow manage to pull that off, there's a failsafe that triggers that forces the game to hand you one copy of the uncommon drop.

Yeah so the devs exploited this failsafe system to make the Overlord Squid very rare. It has a drop rate of 0%, so you need to trigger the failsafe to obtain one. The Sea Milk spots in the seaweed to the south of Armoroad has 14 rolls but a 25% chance to get a Sea Milk. You need to hit that 75% chance 14 times, which equates to a 1.78% chance or a 1 in 56 chance.

The Sea Milks to the South of Tortuga Island on the other hand, have 22 rolls, but a 15% chance to get a Sea Milk instead. This is a 2.8% chance to get the squid, or a 1 in 35.7 chance.

As for increasing the chances... there isn't much you can do unfortunately. The fish do have a respawn time like FOEs (think it's a certain amount of steps or so), so if you plucked the fish, you might as well reset if you didn't get the squid. You can use the fishing flags to force Sea Milk spawns if you didn't get those in your map roll (the game rerolls fish spawns every time you enter the port, either through Armoroad or coming back from a voyage.) The Dolphin and Sedana statues don't help either, they just convert existing common fishing spots to rare spots, they have no effect on the actual drop tables.

However you can end up making the chances worse for yourself. Do not use any of the net items, they add additional rolls to fishing attempts, and will make the failsafe harder to reach. For that matter the trawling net is a bad idea for that reason as well if you run over multiple Sea Milk spots, as all the rolls from all the fishing spots you run over are added up together. (If you're only going after 1, it's fine.) So you'll have to fail every single roll to get the Overlord Squid.

Also looked into Tanniyn mechanics. Damaging one deals 2 HP of damage. Ned's Harpoon adds on 4 damage, tripling your damage output. And the Tanniyn Cannon adds on 16, giving you 9 times the damage. You can also combine both harpoons to deal a whopping 22 damage to them. When you attack a Tanniyn, you have a 2% chance to instantly kill them. Each time you damage one, they'll have a chance to retaliate and destroy your ship. This always starts off at 0%, but each attempt adds on 12% to 30% depending on which one you're hunting. There's no cap to this, so if your damage is low, you will eventually be sent back to town. Fortunately if they stick around they retain any damage they took and the chance for them to destroy your ship is set back to 0%. The tile you fish on doesn't matter, the chance is just rolled each time you damage them, unless the damage dealt was the killing blow, in which case that check is skipped.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
That's an interesting way of putting a rare drop in. Definitely glad I never went for 100%, though.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

:hmmyes:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
There's too much stuff to do in TotK and there's only 12 days to do it all before the collection!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm giving Labyrinth of Touhou (the one on Steam) a try, and I'm not sure if I'm really vibing with it.

Unlike in EO, respecs are pretty free and you're expected to shuffle out your party periodically to deal with the various challenges across your way (where with EO it expects you to stick with 1 party and try to make that work as best as you can.) But I find this introduces a problem I'm getting rather frustrated with. Namely that a bunch of boss fights pretty much require me to sac the first few attempts to scout out what they do to figure out the precise strategy required to defeat them, because the chances are the mechanics of a given boss will wipe you easily if you have no idea what's coming (I suppose you could just out grind them but I have no idea how effective this is because I'm playing on hard where that isn't an option). There's also a lot of moving parts with a lot of party members and equips, and sifting through all that to find the right combo to get past quite a few bosses got pretty tiring. And once I did stumble upon the right strategy, the fights were pretty cakewalk.

On the plus side wiping has no consequences and you have to game over 12 times to unlock a character anyways. That being said I ended up finding that the retry function at a boss was a false choice because every time in my experience I failed, it was because my fundamental strategy was bad, not the execution was lacking, and retrying would just cause the same thing to happen again (you have to go back to town if you want to reshuffle party members and equips.)

Also this isn't really related to the gameplay, and while this game doesn't really seem to have much of a plot (just go explore tree), the writing seems to be pretty stiff and kinda dry even under that circumstance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

generally if you want to go into bosses blind you should try and build a party with a lot of diverse stuff. that said you're kind of expected to use everyone, shuffling equipment around is something you do sometimes but i often just left everyone equipped. a core party of like 6 people i gave the best equips to and then the other 6 were rotating and i mostly just stuck whatever i had that made sense on the entire bench. maybe not optimal but it cut down on inventory management and i cleared the game, so.

also the writing has some pretty funny banter if you know the characters and their deals but the tl is fairly stiff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They literally just bought the fan translation.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just suck rear end at labyrinth of touhou; I have no idea what it is but I suspect there is serious skill issue component. I'm on like 6f and Kasen is the only character I have who does any damage. Wriggle is literally an all star teammate because she can take hits and her poison is competitive with anyone else's dps. At first I was trying to stick with the recommended boss fight levels but I had to go 2 over for Mokou.

The game does play well on the Deck though.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I stalled out on Labyrinth of Touhou just because I'd run into a boss and have to go back to level down and then fight the boss and see what their mechanics are and get a sense for who's good and then go back and respec and change items around--

I respect a lot of the ideas behind all of that, they give the game a higher skill ceiling. But it also feels a lot like busywork! When I'd played for several hours and realized my reaction to seeing a new boss was mostly dread of incoming menu management, I lost most of my motivation. EO forcing you to commit means it's easier to feel stuck, but it also keeps things moving, and it wasn't until Labyrinth of Touhou that I realized just how important that is to the feel of the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It probably helps when you have some prior attachment to the characters so it's like "woohoo, Komachi's kicking my rear end! I love it!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it also probably helps when you know the characters so that when the game is going 'you are going to fight mokou soon' you can go 'oh i need fire resist' instead of 'whos mokou'

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

'Why yes, I would love to fight a boss with instant death attacks!"

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I will freely admit I'd never have gotten as far in labyrinth of touhou if there wasn't already so much handy info about all the bosses on the touhou wiki https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Labyrinth_of_Touhou_2/Dungeons . Older me just doesnt have as much time or willpower to figure it out on my own!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I actually know the characters so I have no real excuse for being shocked when mokou revived from the dead for a short second form

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

'Why yes, I would love to fight a boss with instant death attacks!"

I will also note that for those who don't know, this is not a game with in-battle revives (beyond some passives), as it's one of those games where you're fully healed (except for mana) after every battle, but there aren't any items or anything you can use during battle. So instant death/getting one shot is particularly deadly in boss fights. You do have 8 people in the back lines you can swap out into the front lines repeatedly, but careful not to let any key party members to your strategy die or that can be a pretty giant momentum loss, or you essentially lost depending on what you were trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/WeeklyFamitsu/status/1660491299995418624

EO made the cover of famitsu.