Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy_xaKfUfaI

New trailer.

The selling interface has been back ported from the 3DS era.

I only just noticed that the maps for all 3 games uses EO3's color scheme. Is this customizable or did they just use that color scheme for all 3 games?

The English version of the almanac uses pictures like in the 3DS games. New Wildling mains are salivating at being able to exploit FOE super weaknesses in 3.

EO2 title screen Gunner got a new HD model.

Not uprezzed, as that's the uprezzed model in DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
man, looking at the title screen made me feel so nostalgic. :(

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Man, looking at this and I just gotta say I love Himukai's art style for the EO games. The way parts of the character's background fade to entirely black is just something I really enjoy.

Some good nostalgia here. Gonna be a while before I get around to playing the remasters but I am very happily picking them up, and I really hope the rumors of a new game for next year are borne out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Ronin skill names are staying the same despite Ninja's skills being translated properly this time. The Dark Hunter's Viper is being renamed to Anaconda (which was its Japanese name), but most of the other skills are the same name. The Protector's walls are now using the wall naming scheme and Antiall is now Mana Wall.

The inconsistent logic on what gets retranslated and what gets left alone is driving me nutty. :psyduck:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

As chaotic as the code

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Araxxor posted:

New Wildling mains are salivating at being able to exploit FOE super weaknesses in 3.

What changed? I wasn't planning on using a Wildling but if they've gotten a buff then I'll have to reconsider.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

What changed? I wasn't planning on using a Wildling but if they've gotten a buff then I'll have to reconsider.

Just the addition of information with the almanac. I was referring to how much more accessible the class would be to players who don't look up data mined tables of enemy stats since that info is in the game now instead of having to look up some guide online.

If you already knew about enemy stats in EO3 and which ones to exploit, than nothing's changed.

Ironically for EO1 and 2 the almanac wouldn't be that helpful regarding disables since it would essentially repeatedly tell you that your infliction rates are rock bottom for big fights.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
It occurred to me that we have less than a week until the remasters come out, so I finally sat down and finished a draft of a new megathread OP.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163099

If anyone's got any suggestions for additions or changes, I'm all ears. I tried to include more game-specific info than this thread's OP, while also trying to avoid the walls of text that the older OPs had. I'll also be including a list of more detailed advice from Araxxor in the second post of the new megathread.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i am extremely ready to get way too obsessed with these games again

that's all thanks for listening

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Do we know if Immunize will still be bugged (working as intended/OP) in EO1 ?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Immunize was never bugged to begin with, but there's no reason to expect it will be changed. Aside from bugs that negatively affect the player being fixed, everything that's been shown off so far has been pretty much exactly the same as the originals, balance-wise.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Cool, thanks. The bugged comment was because it was so powerful it was thought to be bugged.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

Cool, thanks. The bugged comment was because it was so powerful it was thought to be bugged.

It also stemmed from a bit of a misunderstanding over the skill's description. And this wasn't a mistranslation, the JP community had some confusion over it as well. The use of "elements" ("Attributes" in Japanese, which basically is equivalent) caused people to think it was bugged since it affected everything instead of just the magical damage types. But that term was just referring to all damage types. The hard definitions of "physical" and "elemental" weren't established until EO3, with EO5 further making the distinction between the two in terminology.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4EtWPHg2U

There was a 3 hour livestream of EO1 HD. I skimmed through it and here's a couple of interesting details I found.

The inn can now store items like in the later games. And the shop also has an equipment changing option like the later games. All other facilities appear unchanged.

Field music no longer restarts after every battle. It continues from where it left off. Quick saving is also in.

Chests have an opening animation now. Full auto mapping works like in the 3DS games. You still have to fill in icons yourself, and paint certain areas (chests and such) manually.

I'm so used to some HD remasters just uprezzing the assets and calling it a day, that the fact this one actually has new textures and models is giving me whiplash. The models are very clearly touched up from DS, while still taking after its more simplistic designs. (Would probably make the dungeons a little more distinct from a hypothetical 3DS collection of these games I suppose.)

You have multiple save slots per game.

Drop mechanics seem to be the same way as in DS EO1. 1 drop at a time. And judging how the stream got very few drops, the low drop rates didn't get changed. Have fun hunting down the Shinryuu Sword. :unsmigghh: (There's actually RNG manipulation methods for that now, but I have no idea if that will work on the collection.)

Not related to the game but some amusing moments on stream. The streamers got mauled by the Venomfly ambush on floor 1 and had to desperately hobble their way out of the labyrinth. They also thought the game bugged out when Shilleka didn't prompt them about Ariadne Threads and exited and entered the shop until they realized they had to specifically talk to her for her to stock them. :allears:

More details about the backported almanac:

English version for reference:

Okay so the codex in 1 will just display the ratings to multiple stats, as internally...

in EO1, ailment resistance is 1 stat. Death also covers death and petrify. All other ailment multipliers just cover the one listed.

FOEs and bosses will use a different notation for disable resistances, like in all games with a more detailed codex. 51%+ = weakness. 50% = neutral, 1% - 49% = resist for ailments. Unfortunately this will make the codex considerably less useful for EO3's boss fights as they all nearly have sub-50% multipliers on disables, and which ones are the best to use won't be visible. (Then again Accumulative Resistance puts a damper on that anyways.) Well, it would if it weren't for the fact that one other detail already makes the codex not that useful in such scenarios.

Of course like in all the 3DS games, the codex has no details unless you snag 1 kill. Unfortunately, unlike said games, I couldn't spot an Analysis/Analysis Scope equivalent throughout the stream. So there doesn't seem to be a way to view the details earlier in big fights, which would further limit the usefulness of this feature since you've already proven yourself by the time you beat the enemy once.

That being said, it wouldn't have been that helpful in EO1 and 2 anyways. Nearly every single big enemy within a category of FOE, Red FOE, and boss have very similar multipliers, and they all tell you the same thing. "Your chance of inflicting is low." For regular enemies it'll be nice though. And damage numbers are already very obvious feedback regarding damage types. Would have been a bit nice for EO3 FOEs though, since that game bizarrely gives nearly every single FOE a "super weakness" to a given disable (usually around 150%!) Note that EO4 does no such thing.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I wasn't super excited by the announcement but I am counting the days now, not gonna lie

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Also the livestream features the FOE band playing the new EO3 S6 battle theme live starting at 3:04:07, if you want to listen to what it'll sound like.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The JP EO twitter account finished tweeting all of the alt palettes for the new non-unlockable class EO3 portraits. I dig the New Farmer alt.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
non-unlockable?

love that farmer

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Your Computer posted:

non-unlockable?

love that farmer

The alts for New Shogun and New Yggdroid have yet to be posted.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I see Farmer 5 continues the trend of EO3 having the only game where certain alternate palettes change more than just the color scheme (barring the EO3 portraits imported into Nexus.)

Your Computer posted:

non-unlockable?

love that farmer

2 classes in EO3 are unlockable. Note that you can only get 1 in a given playthrough in EO3. (The other games you can get all the classes in one playthrough.)

In fact the first 4 games had unlockables until EOU put a stop to it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ohhh of course, i'm an idiot. i was thinking that you said the portraits were non-unlockable and was wondering what the unlockable portraits were :pram:

god i'm so excited to play these

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot these HD remasters are out in 2 days, i'm so excited.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Please let me pick Shogun and Yggdroid as alt portraits from the start :pray:

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011
Only looking to buy one of the remasters - what is the recommended choice, 1, 2 or 3?

Never played any of these before

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I hastily made a stat table for EO3's enemies while working on a project related to EO3.

I didn't focus too much on making this super readable but if you want a more detailed almanac on EO3's enemies, here you go.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Shadski posted:

Only looking to buy one of the remasters - what is the recommended choice, 1, 2 or 3?

Never played any of these before

This is gonna be a bit of a tricky one to answer without knowing preferences. Most of the time 3 gets recommended if people were interested in the DS era of Etrian Odyssey, but the reasons for that are pretty obsolete now. (Better QOL and easier difficulty are arguments that are basically invalidated with the features the remasters are bringing in.)

I wouldn't say any of them are bad picks. 1's the first game so it can be a good starting point. 3 probably has the most content in it.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
It's been years since I played any of them, but as I recall EO2 is mostly a more refined EO1, so I probably wouldn't get the first game if you're just getting one. Both of them are pretty straightforward in their design. EO3 is more weird and experimental, which has its benefits (EO3's party version of Limit is much more interesting than EO2's, the sea quests are a neat diversion, more interesting map design) and detriments (character design is more swingy between class changes and sub-classes, in part due to clumsy implementation of building ailment resistance). For what it's worth EO3 was always my favorite of the three, but EO2 with the collection QoL features will probably be the most solid experience for a new player.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think even with equalized QoL, just base design wise EO3 is the most polished and beginner friendly.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I really would not recommend EO2 as a first game, honestly. While it does fix a good amount of EO1's mistakes—introducing sidestepping, allowing skills to have max levels that aren't 10, making level no longer arguably the most important stat—it also has a ton of its own jank in return. Class-exclusive shortcuts, the multiple quests that require having a specific class (sometimes at a specific level), the Gear Registry, the fact that going more than a bit into the 6th Stratum involves having to do multiple quest chains, all of that is just really player-hostile.

This isn't even getting into how EO2 is, at least in my opinion, the game where it's easiest to completely screw yourself from the get-go just as a result of party composition. Putting together a fairly standard RPG party of Landsknecht/Survivalist/Protector/Medic/Alchemist is going to give you fits because of how all of those classes range from undertuned (Protector and Alchemist) to wildly undertuned (Landsknecht, Survivalist, Medic).

theshim
May 1, 2012

Rea posted:

all of those classes range from undertuned (Protector and Alchemist) to wildly undertuned (Landsknecht, Survivalist, Medic).
I wonder how bad SCCs will be with these.

Honestly I'd probably only do Alchemist and hope they manage to do enough with 5 of them.

I never have done any SCCs on 1-3, so we'll see how those turn out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:toot: Well thanks to some benefactors I can join in on the launch party. (Was gonna wait for a sale down the line.)

Endorph posted:

i think even with equalized QoL, just base design wise EO3 is the most polished and beginner friendly.

Yeah, EO3 is probably the best bet if you only had to buy one. The quest design and such is also way less bad than in 1 and 2. Even if quests in 1 and 2 gave exp that doesn't really fix that so many of them are just awful to actually play for one.

theshim posted:

I wonder how bad SCCs will be with these.

Honestly I'd probably only do Alchemist and hope they manage to do enough with 5 of them.

I never have done any SCCs on 1-3, so we'll see how those turn out.

1? Medics could easily dominate the entire game, and post-game.

Survivalists could clear maingame but I'm not really sure about post.

The rest? Maybe Protectors could do it? Not too sure on that. The rest of the classes may have varying degrees of rough to easy times.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How puzzle heavy is 1 - 3?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rea posted:

It occurred to me that we have less than a week until the remasters come out, so I finally sat down and finished a draft of a new megathread OP.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163099

If anyone's got any suggestions for additions or changes, I'm all ears. I tried to include more game-specific info than this thread's OP, while also trying to avoid the walls of text that the older OPs had. I'll also be including a list of more detailed advice from Araxxor in the second post of the new megathread.

just popping in to say this looks awesome, and thanks for keeping EO alive here :respek:

I grabbed EOU2 before the 3DS purge even tho I'm still halfway into EO5 but man at some point I'm gonna be tempted to replay 3 on the Switch. Really hope the other 3DS games eventually get ported over but I'm willing to wait on those if it means NEW game gets finished.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Araxxor posted:

1? Medics could easily dominate the entire game, and post-game.

Survivalists could clear maingame but I'm not really sure about post.

The rest? Maybe Protectors could do it? Not too sure on that. The rest of the classes may have varying degrees of rough to easy times.
Well, the post in question was for 2. Every game is going to have its own set of wrinkles to work through, I expect.

SCCs in 3 are less exciting to me thanks to full subclass skill access, but maybe I'll just set a rule that every character needs a different sub just so they don't all end up as Gladiators :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I said come in! posted:

How puzzle heavy is 1 - 3?

There's some mild puzzle elements but the DS era isn't too heavy on them due to the limited FOE mechanics. 3 probably has the most of them, but even then it's not as much as the 3DS era. More often than not FOEs were used to punish bad movement (or if you weren't literally psychic in 1) and some were placed to jump scare you as some will spawn out of thin air and trap you in a corner in that game.

theshim posted:

Well, the post in question was for 2. Every game is going to have its own set of wrinkles to work through, I expect.

SCCs in 3 are less exciting to me thanks to full subclass skill access, but maybe I'll just set a rule that every character needs a different sub just so they don't all end up as Gladiators :v:

Oh 2? Then the game turns into rocket tag really. Alchemist is clunky in 2 but not like outright bad. If you level skills properly and manage your resources right that team should annihilate the game frankly.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 30, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1663358468215181312?s=20

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah that tracks.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Alt palette for New Shogun. I appreciate the Smash Bros. beam sword.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah I hear it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GtGLNPJqrA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I immediately thought of "Eyes Wide Open" from IV myself. Especially the part where it almost sounds like a theremin.