Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I remember Hardwick saying on some podcast somewhere that he didn’t do AA because of the god stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Sometimes they don’t come back. Jeffery Jones didn’t and neither did that seventh heaven guy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Seriously, this is Kevin Spacey.

Yeah well I say he’s nothing but an upjumped character actor!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Maybe all of our disgraced content creators will found a new molestation riddled film colony in France. Can’t wait for Weinstein presents: Beyond the Sea 2, a Polanski Joint.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The criticism of the film is mostly being hit in terms of being "one sided."

But unless there is evidence that:
(A) Two men independently crafted very parallel stories about their abuse with narratives occurring through events that are collaborated by multiple family members
(B) The two men and their families conspired to lie about their abuse
(C) The director Dan Reed, a bit of a TV and documentary journeyman, help created an elaborate hoax between multiple people

It's really hard to question the reality that Michael Jackson did likely rape children in which case, there really isn't another side.

The lengths people have gone to deny this stuff borders on conspiracy theory and complete disassociation from reality. Everyone agrees that he slept in the same room as children, actively tried to separate them from their parents, and gave them wine. Then there’s those insane faxes and the jewelry. They accept all this obvious grooming as fact but won’t accept the obvious conclusion.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I mean, come on dude. Man in the Mirror is such a good song...

this is sarcasm in case anyone can't tell

I think he peaked at Thriller, honestly. :shrug:

I only got through part 1 of the doc, it bummed me out too much to keep watching.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He was a lovely person but Remember the Time was good stuff.

The cast of the music video was pretty star-studded, I’ll give you that... I guess he might have been innocent after all.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

I feel like MJ is also shielded by the fact that this story has been around for a long time. Even if the waters are less muddy now and there are credible stories, people are less likely to backtread and admit that they excused a predator for over a decade. It’s much easier to turn on someone like Kevin Spacey where it’s a “We just didn’t know” situation.

I remember coverage mainly focusing on Feldman and Culkin, who both denied it. Both-siding it by saying they weren’t molested, as if the fact that he didn’t rape two very famous child stars is proof of innocence.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

AngusPodgorny posted:

Now there’s a documentary telling them to believe he did it. Which sounds pithy and condescending, but the documentary was created to persuade people of a position, by someone whose profession is persuading people, so it's no surprise it has persuaded people.

I’m used to potentially deceptive storytelling from a trial lawyer perspective, but documentaries can take it to a whole other level. Lawyers will spend days coaching witnesses to make sure they remember things just right and don’t accidentally say something that should be omitted, and witnesses are happy to go along, either willingly because it benefits them or just because it’s actually pretty easy to manipulate someone’s memories (psychologists are really good at this too). But eventually those witnesses get one shot at doing it live in front of a jury, so there’s still a chance of failure because the other side can cross-examine or impeach them. While in a documentary, they can re-take anything that isn’t good enough, they get to cut out any unfavorable footage, and they don’t have to worry about the other side getting to ask any tough questions.

Then add in that a documentary isn’t hindered by a judge enforcing any evidentiary rules, and the other side isn’t given an opportunity to put on its own witnesses and evidence, and I trust documentaries even less than I trust lawyers. Who I don’t trust at all.

Lawyers do this because it works really well to persuade normal people who aren’t so filled with cynicism and distrust that they assume everyone is lying all the time. As for whether Jackson molested anyone, I don't know, accept that I will never really know, and therefore don't care enough to go through all of the arguments for and against.

yeah you’re right we should demand receipts before we decide if the man who slept in the same bed as children every day he could and tried to separate them from their parents as much as possible and had multiple allegations levied against him did anything bad.

It might just be editing.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Sure Jackson sent hundreds of faxed love letters to an 8 year old, but did the documentary show any of the many faxes he sent that weren’t evidence of sex crimes? No, of course not. But I guess you sheep didn’t consider that did you? hmm??

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

esperterra posted:

re: Spacey

Rapp isn't overly famous outside of the theatre crowd-- though he does have ST:D now!-- and it wasn't his first time speaking about Spacey trying to gently caress him. imo a big part of Spacey getting got was there already being a conversation happening around Weinstein at the time. If the #MeToo movement hadn't already started spinning up, I'm honestly not sure how Rapp's story would have been taken.

It also doesn't help that Spacey tried to deflect by coming out. If he'd stayed quiet, who knows.

Yeah I had remembered hearing that story from Rapp before this all blew up and I was confused because I guess I had assumed everyone knew about it. Then I couldn't find the old interview I remembered seeing so I assumed I just made it up.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV7-HDO5zb0

Footage has been uncovered of MJ going ring shopping with a young James Safechuck (he showed some of the rings with hesitation during the Leaving Neverland documentary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3DyN8Jvnz4

Surreal poo poo with them ignoring the “12 year old friend“, suggesting that it’s for Sheryl Crow (his backup singer), and its all coming from a young Bill O’Reilly .

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Timby posted:

Yeah, didn't he pay a metric fuckton of money for Hunter S. Thompson's ashes, just so he could shoot them out of a cannon?

Dude is also reportedly a raging alcoholic.

He had to pay for the ashes? Pay who, the family? I thought they agreed to the cannon thing .

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Many people believe the popular myth that Rahm Emanuel lost his finger while volunteering in the Israeli army. The truth, however, is that he broke it off in his own rear end in a top hat.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that is factually incorrect, you can totally erase art. Paint stripper, literal erasers... there are all kinds of ways.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

"Necessity is NOT heroism in my eyes, Mike."

- A Real Thing Max Landis Said to Me Once

His career shoulda died with Bright but it unfortunately was a pretty big hit on Netflix despite it being terrible and a critical bomb.

I guess a lot of people did what I did and watched it specifically because it looked incredibly stupid. My bad.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

i mean i think for a long time he was self-medicating pretty heavily but he seems pretty well adjusted now (relative to before).

he did date Mila Kunis for a while, which led to Russell Brand's funniest comedy bit.

Now he’s really into Toejam and Earl

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It could just be a lot of Young Jeezy collaborations from 2005

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Said man is notoriously full of himself, I'm sure arrogance made him think he was infallible

Trapped in the Closet with the commentary on is some pure strain hilarious narcissism.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Not to get all conspiracy theorist in here but I doubt that was a suicide attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I honestly will never understand why jury trials are still a thing.

Hell as a European the whole common law system baffles me. Just have a non politically appointed judge look at a book of laws he has no influence over and have him decide if the defendant broke a rule or not with the lawyers on either side to give arguments in favor or against. Why is that so hard to understand?

Our judges are also all morons