Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/louis-cks-movie-premiere-canceled-advance-ny-times-story-1056585

Aw gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jesus loving Christ

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

While I see why it got there I'd really rather this thread stay on the topic it was made for and not get into this conversation

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Looks like Travolta might be next

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/lionsgate-cuts-travolta-gotti-biopic-10-days-before-release.html

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Not exactly Hollywood, but
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/940057446566977539

Somebody close to Bourdain, it seems. Really hope it's not Eric Ripert.
https://twitter.com/bourdain/status/940035834786414592

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Let’s be clear here.

That might be true, but the culinary industry is especially so.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Who is this stallion, this Adonis incarnate, that Stephanie March wasn't good enough?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Bourdain has also not worked in a kitchen for the last 20 years.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

To ding Colicchio, he's had Toby Young on countless times, a guy with no redeeming qualities at all.

God I loving HATE Tony Young.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is Eataly a Batali thing? I had no idea.

It is, yep. I have a friend on Facebook posting about how everyone knew he was a misogynist like every other male chef but they didn't know detailed things.

And yeah gently caress Roman Polanski.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yaws posted:

I wonder how many of these accused people have a chance at getting their careers back. Actors might suffer more because, obviously, audiences can see them and it's a grim reminder of what they did but I suspect that directors and producers might still find work.

We may have reached such a saturation point that people don't even remember the people accused.

TJ Miller is 100% done after 10 more people came out saying a bunch of horrible poo poo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

21 Muns posted:

Most friends I've talked to don't believe the accusations against Miller. I blame his Wikipedia page. :(

Why are you so worried about Wikipedia? Regular people do not get their sexual assault allegation news from Wikipedia.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

viral spiral posted:

Apparently TJ Miller AND his wife knew this accuser back in college. Claims she's a vindictive crazy person.

Who cares? They said that the day the allegation came out, and then 20 other people came out showing how much of a shithead he is.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Len posted:

Have you guys ever noticed when Max Landis comes up y'all trip over yourselves to make helicopter jokes and go "JOHN LANDIS KILLED KIDS" :v: and then start talking about how Max is a shitheel? Because somehow his dad doing something before he was born is a reason to dislike Max when he already has so many other things to bring up.

Two people can be bad, and your dad being a giant piece of poo poo murderer definitely affects how you’re raised

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I know I partially helped with this but please stop talking about John Landis in here now. Talk about his lovely son and the sexual assault allegations against him.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

GORDON posted:

I'm saying that if one drink is enough for a woman to claim she was inhibited by alcohol when she took certain actions, then the same needs to be allowed of men, too. You can either consent when you're drunk, or you can't. There isn't some magical "men are always the aggressors" rule.

Or is there?

What the hell are you talking about? What makes him the aggressor is that he tried to get her drunker and repeatedly ignored her saying she was uncomfortable and wanted to stop. Just because you’re drunk doesn’t mean you get to ignore someone telling you to stop.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

The Aziz thing is different though because it's not workplace related and, as far as I can tell, was dealt with privately. He was a lovely person, she told him and he apologised. His apology was rubbish, but the matter was resolved. He didn't do anything illegal.

The only backlash he should receive is a hit to his reputation and a chance to change his behaviour and learn from this public shaming.

Because that's what this is. It's a public shaming.

That's why it's different to Me too and why most people are struggling with it

The fact that babe.com did a terrible, rambling, amateur job of reporting it doesn't help.

I’m sure Graham Norton will do a much better job

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

My point is is that calling it “public shaming” and that the article “was reported terribly” is idiotic.

It’s being mentioned because it shows what some men think is a “normal” sexual encounter. It is not antithetic to the MeToo movement because allowing culture to grow where what he did seems okay to someone is the entire point of the movement. It’s not okay.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

GORDON posted:

She never said "no," nor, "stop." One presumes English is her first language, and that she's a grown-up.

“Whoa, let’s relax for a sec, let’s chill.”
“He really kept doing it after I moved it away”
“It was 30 minutes of me getting up and moving and him following and sticking his fingers down my throat again.”
“Most of my discomfort was expressed in me pulling away and mumbling.”
“I know I was physically giving off cues that I wasn’t interested.”
Etc.

Just because she is in a position where she might not feel comfortable straight up saying the word “no” doesn’t mean she’s “not a grown up” or deserves to still have him sexually advance on her.

poo poo like this is exactly the issue. “Well she didn’t SAY no” is some reductive, rapist poo poo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I dont think the term victim blaming is accurate here. Because going on a bad date doesn't make someone a victim.

There is a difference between going on a bad date and someone trying to continually gently caress you when you repeatedly make it clear it’s unwanted, dude.

This is the entire point of this and it’s really sad to see how many people have this viewpoint in this whole thing. It’s really gross.

Edit- A good, short, Twitter thread on this point

https://twitter.com/hannahmosk/status/953442144626364416

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 17, 2018

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I was referring to his friend who left a date because it wasn't going well, not Grace who definitely was a victim.

Maybe Graham Norton would've understood.

Ah, my bad, misread. Sorry!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

No, I get that; I figured the power imbalance was implied, given what we're discussing. At the same time, I would hope if someone really didn't want to be Topless Lady #4, they'd use whatever degree of agency they have to cut off that proverbial branch before it buds. You sure as poo poo can't make it so a creepy director will never try and make you give him head, but you sure can make a legal document saying your bits won't show up on film.

It reminds me of a story on the set of one of the later Friday The 13th films (of all places). The director was like "Okay, Lady, in this scene you'll be in the shower...", and Lady immediately put her foot down and reminded them that she's got a no-nudity clause in her contract, and no amount of coercion is going to change that.

The point is is that they’re not going to get work if they don’t do the nude scene. That’s the problem. Not a surprise you don’t get it though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

sleep with the vicious posted:

I'm the guy who is shocked by all the pedophiles and sex monsters in Hollywood

Not Denzel! Not the pivdawg! Noo.

Edit: for actual content. I'm curious how deep it goes. My bet is the majority of Hollywood directors and producers have at minimum sexually harassed someone.
Literally, literally, no one is surprised by Jeremy Piven. Not a single human being.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The worst use of the word “accused” I’ve ever seen

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

http://collider.com/brett-ratner-warner-bros-deal-over/

WB has decided not to renew their $450 million contract with Brett Ratner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Please stop talking about Gamergate in this thread