Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I feel that this is a problem in every industry, not just Hollywood, but in this case all the perps are famous people so it makes the news when they're finally outed/there can be public consequences. Compare to other fields where bosses and superiors have what equates to public anonymity and often the backing of their corporate infrastructure, and the victims have even less leverage to out them. I'm sure it manifests itself uniquely in the Hollywood work environment, but I just want to note that this isn't solely a Hollywood problem, it's a cultural problem writ large.

Also, you should add Oliver Stone and Ben Affleck to the list of newly accused people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Egbert Souse posted:

The more I read about her on Wikipedia, she comes off as a sociopath. Oh well.

I don't think she was a sociopath so much as she was a product of the regime she worked in. So many Nazis were ordinary people ingrained in a culture that said their victims weren't human and that they deserved to wield the power they did. Calling her or most other Nazis sociopaths is a dangerous route as it inadvertently absolves the conscious decisions made by ordinary people. Albeit there's certainly a few of them who likely did fit the bill (Mengele for one).

Still, I wouldn't blame anyone for not applauding Leni Riefenstahl. I don't care what she contributed to cinematography I don't think the person who made Triumph of the Will ought to be awarded. Still, I think her films are worth watching, Olympia in particular is an astounding work. I just think they need to be approached academically and historically, never lightly the way you might watch Kazan or Polanski's works.