Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Most of these guys have been open secrets for years, few of the claims are [Sadly] all that surprising. I will say that Allison Mack starting a sex cult kind of caught me off guard though. Didn't see that one coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

esperterra posted:

Haven't the wives of Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki had to deal with all sorts of nonsense from the Dean/Sam and Jensen/Jared Supernatural shippers? Some people just have no shame and take their fandoms/crushes/whatever too far now with ease of access.

Famous people have always been getting weird letters from fans or whatever, but it's like times a million now.

Jensen's wife had 'fans' call security on her for being a whore at one of the cons.

Supernatural fans are loving insane.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Yaws posted:

Is he a known perv or something?

He isn't shy and likes the dick.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That once you throw away reason

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'd actually stopped reading before it got down to his tweets because I was bored of scrolling through context-free clips

Interesting, tell me more how we need to calmly and rationally evaluate the facts on these subjects and not jump to conclusions?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

CountFosco posted:

but then again Gauguin was a more important artist

Lets not say poo poo we can't take back.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Youtube generally pays poo poo even if you have tens of thousands of regular views. Only the most massive channels make a living wage on it's own. Mostly it's merch and things like Patreon that really get you money. If you are an 'influencer' there is the chance you'll get paid to showcase something too.

For smaller and mid-level channels, the important part of monetization is getting your channel recommended to viewers that might be interested in that content. It's what gets you new Patrons and new folks buying stuff for you. And if you are the type of channel where you want corporate support, the numbers show you are a worthwhile investment.

So yeah, in a very real sense the C-grade youtuber IS the one most at risk from Youtube going 'This isn't breaking any rules but we don't want to deal with it". That's the poo poo that stops people from moving up and growing the channel. Of course they are going to raise ruckus. It's their livelihood on the block.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The rurouni kenshin guy got busted for something that was legal a few years ago, and some big names went to bat for him.

This nobody will disappear into the ether forever.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Nah, he actually just went on a streak of being in a bunch of poo poo with big name actors and directors directly after Transformers 3. Like to be fair he also lost gigs due to being a tremendous rear end in a top hat with brain problems, but it didn't hurt him getting high profile work any.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't realize this guy was 42 I assumed he was late 20s or something. How is any video game guy older than me.

It's been about 50 years since the home consoles became a thing, and some people never really left the hobby as they grew up. Whole lot of kids booted up Tetris 99 to find out there is an endless stream of unassuming grandmothers who have 30 years of stone cold loving menace carved into their bones as far as moving tetriminos goes, and proceeded to get schooled on the difference between potential ability and the merits of faster reflexes versus muscle memory and the perfection of ability.

Of course these are also Games For Children, which means that there is a high number of adults interacting with children. And when that comes to something like, say, fighting tournaments and the like? Where they interact in person?

Yeah, there is quite a bit of abuse behind the scenes. Or not so behind the scenes, as EVO getting blown up recently shows.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You've described literally any music scene ever, in the history of time. I don't care if it's folk music that has a crowd of 9 people, there are drugs and abusive predators there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Smith, but he goes by Sabbath sometimes too.