Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MoaM posted:

Poster is likely referring to post-divorce Brad Pitt...
Though, to be fair, we give far too much leeway with celebrities and their intelligence.

Yeah johnny depp is a high school grad from Bumfuck America. Being able to speak coherently in public and in interviews is basically the limit of his intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

yeah, the proximity to GamerGate means that more GG assholes are gonna go in and take their shots. Luckily the mods in games have been fairly quick about giving those guys probations. They've probably had more people get punished for defending abusers in like, a week than this thread has had since it started like 6 months ago

edit: oh my god this thread has been around almost two years

It's pretty extreme too. The guy who killed himself was outed even by his sister as a horrible person. Stories came out that multiple women game devs has been told by multiple sources not to be alone in a room with him. His male coworkers went on record that he was extremely manipulative and abusive in a lot of different ways.

But of course since it was the GG ground zero person, Zoe Quinn, the festering hate boner the GG crowd has exploded all over the internet ready to claim all these accusations are killing people so the outspoken victims should get slienced.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like trying to normalize the idea that women are using men as ATMs that they have to sleep with in order to cover their expenses is also a bad thing, but I’m also not accusing Dennis Quaid of anything other than transparently wanting a very young and pretty woman to have sex with and make him seem more enticing and youthful. Whether or not you think one or both of those things is bad is personal and I certainly don’t have any moral high ground to claim.

Just baffling that your perception of this actual marriage is "he wants a young and pretty woman to have sex with"

Becausr obviously that is the only way he is able to make that happen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Yeah Peters is a notorious dickbag. Kevin Smith made a lot of waves with his story about all the insane poo poo he claimed Peters said and did. I think a few people later pointed out that Smith spent 11 minutes in his presence but the other poo poo Peters did was so insane nobody ever questioned it. Google isn't turning anything up so it's likely I just read that stuff here.

I think Kevin Smith is talking about Jon Peters in this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hMYw8LX60

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

i'm pretty sure the elite in france know that everyone is sick of their poo poo on every level and just don't care

Yeah France's literary god was just finally "outed" and faced consequences for having young teens giving him oral sex in parks on a regular basis. It wasn't even a kept secret literally everyone involved knew he would find fans who had young daughters and they'd basically hand her over to him as his new "girlfriend".

One of his victims finally managed to get a viral story and suddenly everyone is shocked, shocked that this is going on in France.

edit: Actually turns out its literally as bad as it could possibly be, I wildly understand it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-nyt-france-pedophile-writer-matzneff-20200211-6hyx2awz5jajtp3lji5iwhiyfa-story.html

quote:

Gabriel Matzneff, the French writer under investigation for his promotion of pedophilia, was holed up this month inside a luxury hotel room on the Italian Riviera, unable to relax, unable to sleep, unable to write.

He was alone and in hiding, abandoned by the same powerful people in publishing, journalism, politics and business who had protected him weeks earlier. He went outside only for solitary walks behind dark sunglasses, and was startled when I tracked him down in a cafe mentioned in his books.

“I feel like the living dead, a dead man walking, walking on the lungomare,” he said, referring in Italian to the seafront promenade, in a long conversation, after some persuading.

Hiding is new for Matzneff. For decades, he was celebrated for writing and talking openly about stalking teenage girls outside schools in Paris and having sex with 8-year-old boys in the Philippines.

He was invited to the Élysée Palace by President François Mitterrand and socialized with the far-right leader Jean-Marie Le Pen. He benefited from the largess of fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent and his partner, the business tycoon Pierre Bergé.

From his hiding place on the Italian Riviera, Matzneff rejected the accusations of wrongdoing.

“Who are they to judge?” he said. “These associations of the virtuous, how do they sleep, what do they do in bed and who do they sleep with, and their secret, repressed desires?”

Read the whole thing if you want, but it might make you punch a hole through your monitor.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 2, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I had never heard of Matzneff until that whole thing happened. Okay I'm Québécois not french but still.

Yeah its weird.

His buddies on those literary juries were just basically campaigning to give him awards and stipends since he was struggling financially. I can only imagine the exchange

"Hey my old writer friend is old and poor, he really needs this award and these funds to live a basic lifestyle"

"Oh, yeah but what would he do with the money?"

"Probably gently caress preteen boys in Asia, see if he can sneak a bunch of young girls into his Parisian hotel and not get caught"

"Okay, seems like a great and noble French Author who should be eminently lauded"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

If you’ve spent the last decade in front of a camera there is a nearly 100% chance your brain is tapioca and your politics are dogshit.

Just remember, many of these people went straight from high school to celebrity stars. Johnny Depp is good at being a certain way on screen but from the in depth interview of him recently he is dumb as gently caress and seems barely literate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Its a right wing talking point, they're trying to change the narrative to "believe ALL women" and the using that to retroactively attack all the support and wokeness going on.

It's like watching the ACORN pimp video being played out in slow motion live, and then it's sped up and fed to the massess as 100% truth they don't want you to know.

The NYT buying in to this to cover for Biden is going to cause irreparable harm.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sponges posted:

Annnddd JK Rowling is retweeting tweets denouncing Radcliffes response because he’s a white male

She’s scrambling for supporters and she’s found some in the gutter

She'll dig down forever. She sees herself as this champion of women's rights because TERFs are a huge thing in the UK in a way they aren't in America and she's never reconciled the fact that non-white women have a different experience then she did.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

And as sorry as I am that she suffered sexual assault, the timing of it gives off real Kevin Spacey coming out vibes.

There must be a category for those people who scramble for damage control so aggressively their response includes them proclaiming to the world something horrible and/or intensely personal and therefore twitter needs to be less mean to them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Within 10 posts the steam game thread had 2 people chiming in to go "oh, so we just believe whatever someone posted on twitter?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

There was a whole thing about five years ago when Avellone parted ways with Obsidian and was almost definitely fired. Wonder if this had anything to do with it.

He was fired for accusing his bosses of shady payment deals and not following up on promised agreements with him.

He had a major online meltdown where he started naming names and slinging mud at his personal enemies or something, he nuked his own reputation and basically exiled himself to the hard right video game websites where he was crowned as their king and master.

His raging alcohol problem was also an open secret and all his cheerleaders on the hard R gamer forums praised him for being honest about it.

Now it seems he's trying to pull a dan Harmon and pretend to be all sorry and recalcitrant about his 20+ years treating women like poo poo in the industry.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 21, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This is so aggressively refuted by Bieber it's almost like its a false flag operation set up to give him cover for any real assaults by pointing back and going "we'd already did this once, all the other women are liars we don't feel the need to prove it again"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most verifiably false sexual assault accusations, which are a rare thing, are generally really, super obvious.

Yeah if its fake it generally falls apart at the slightest scrutiny, like the Rolling Stone story.

teacup posted:

I mean I don’t want to be a broken record but can we please please please just stick to the facts here

Believe women doesn’t mean “and when a man denies it with airtight evidence I invent a fantasyland conspiracy theory where Bieber false flag #metoos himself”

I was being facetious, it's pretty clear his team, legal or whatnot, is really going all in on pushing back on this and yeah he has a loving volume of evidence and compiled everything from receipts and photos to random tweets from people linking his location to the hotel at a certain as being mistaken.

He says he never responded to this allegations before so going in so aggressively is pretty telling. This is just the first time I can remember seeing someone go at their accusers 100% and it not being a shame/delaying tactic to try and cover-up a crime.

The other woman who accused him at the same time is in for a world of problems because even if he doesn't refute her a ton of stuff her being linked temporally to the first women is going result in her being classed in the same category.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 22, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Hasn't this happened specifically with Beiber before? I seen to recall an accusation where he had evidence he was in another country at the time.

This is right on the heels of someone accusing the main 4 cast of Riverdale of assaulting someone at a party that blew up and quickly turned into some weird "lol I got you all" prank.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

there's a ton of streamers/esports people being called out but it's honestly kind of impossible to follow them all

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1276415537388519426?s=20

eSports shockingly in the running to be as or more toxic to their female members then real sports. "Streaming is a real sport!" lol you sure proved that this time.

I thought there were aslo Twitch employees caught out using their access and ability to harass female twitch streamers or covering up for big names who bring in tons of revenue.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I've heard a ton of bad poo poo about things that happen at Smash Bros tournaments but all that is basically scattered on various forums

I'm pretty sure it took more then a few repeated occurrences of some players screaming "I'm going to loving rape you whore" at female players during matches before anyone bothered to do anything about it.

Smash is notorious for the fundamental failings of members of its communities at gatherings/tournaments in terms of basic hygiene and behavior, there's even a massive East/West split over the agreed upon rules for the game that generates insane vitriol towards people and like most male dominated professions any female players/members get the worst of it. I think at one point they had to have spotters/watchers stationed around the female players because guys would keep openly harassing them or groping them and this wasn't like the one creep in a crowded room people turn on it was just "the way things are"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

I woke up to see a Twitch/WoW call out in my Twitter. It's some streamer that was in Method (And it seems the people in method knew but didn't do a thing for a couple of years). And it's gross. loving gross. The guy is monster. And some idiots keeps saying "I thought he was acting this whole time~~~"

https://www.reddit.com/r/LivestreamFail/comments/hfc0ja/poopernoodle_speaks_out_about_what_happened/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Turns out the real monsters are the ones saying "yeah, no I am a monster the FBI would arrest me if they could see certain folders on my computer this is not a joke"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Conventions are infamous for all the behaviour you'd expect from a large social event for people who don't go to social events, and then some. See also how they had to ban glomping and yaoi paddles.

When dashcon started falling apart on the first night, they passed a bag and filled it with cash to "pay the hotel" and once they announced they'd made enough money (to people who already spent a ton on con tickets) they started loudly signing "we are the champions" or something similar in a hotel lobby.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"Nerd" conventions have always been a problem people just didn't start addressing it until recently because of the highly visible nature of the hosed up stuff.

"Cosplay is Not Consent" didn't happen as a major thing until 2012. I remember girls in high school who said that the general rule was if you wore a remotely sexy outfit you either needed a fair sized group with you or at least one male friend because if you got caught out on your own the creeps would swarm you ,follow you around relentlessly up to following to the hotel room, and always trying to "get close for a picture" and trying to hug/make constant physical contact.

For example Alec Holowka, a famous indie dev, was a notorious predator to the point where people warned unaware women at conventions to not end up alone in a room with him for their own safety. Meanwhile he kept at his behavior because he was a recognized and highly influential member of a insular community until he was finally outed by Zoe Quinn, the original victim of gamergate and someone for who accusing a famous dev couldn't make her life any more difficult then it already was so she wasn't afraid to finally speak out.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 26, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aces High posted:

What ended up happening with Zoe Quinn? That's a name I haven't heard in almost 5 years

Quinn was the spark that gamergaters were expecting to be GamerGate 2.0 Now They're Killing People.

Quinn disclosed on twitter the horrible abusive treatment they suffered from Alec Holowka, which sparked a massive outcry on both sides and he killed himself not long thereafter.

While the gamergaters were busying preparing for a full court press pitchforks and torches moment, an absolute ton of people came out, including past and current business partners like his coworkers were recounting how they'd be near tears constantly as he'd scream and yell and they'd have panic attacks about having to confront him over totally normal problems and his own sister spoke out to say that Alec was a deeply troubled person who caused a lot of people pain and now he's dead so let it lie.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I don't know? Kids who hurt other kids are a complicated issue. Ideally it should've been dealt with if/when it happened not several decades later. I don't think a lawsuit is the best solution, especially since he would've been a minor if/when it happened.

Her claim is when he was 9-12 and she was 7-10.

That's definitely not typical lawsuit territory, and it likely there would be legal hurdles for a court to allow a plaintiff suing someone for something they were doing at 9 years old.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

It may just be because I find his whole schtick incredibly annoying, but Joss Whedon has always had intense this guy energy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTMow_7H47Q

Whedon played up the whole "I'm a male feminist" angle since before it was a thing and his nerd fanbase would leap to his defense at a moments notice to claim that he's one of the good ones because he's not one of those gross menwritingwomen writers.

All the comments of "what's up with all the close up shots of River's feet" for Firefly were roundly shouted down with "HEY HE RESPECTS WOMEN OK!?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Whedon also had the "gentleman" Malcolm constantly insulting Inara and either calling her a whore outright (the n-word for companions) or making a bunch of sly insults about it demeaning her sex work every chance he could.

Then when the Heroic Captain ends up banging the ex-companion "whore" who's friends with Inara, the proper companion, she finds out and pretends to be all sex positive about it then runs away to cry that her tru wuv sleeps with other "whores" but can't ever love her.

It's a sad tale that of all the problems with Firefly the gamergate chud that is Adam Baldwin isn't even remotely the worst part of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I forgot that show existed. I was thinking more about what Joss Whedon did to her, then the more recent bullshit around her being on Bull.

Didn't she win like $20 million from her lawsuit against the producers? The evidence against them for trying to tank her career for her not sleeping with some exec was about as blatant as them live-blogging their strategy on twitter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Kid was a teenager but legit looked like a grade schooler too.

He was 14 and looked like he was 10.

She was 24.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mycot posted:

Yeah I'm not saying it's right but even the crowd that is normally horrible about female-on-male sexual abuse was relatively quiet this time because one look at those photos and you can tell "Oh this woman is a pedophile".

I haven't been following it too closely.

The accuser posted a note detailing it and it was her basically picking him as her plaything and convincing him it was all okay and making him promise to keep it secret until he turned 18.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It's a British libel case, those are much easier to win than American ones but I don't know enough about them to know what the standards are.

Some pretty stringent standards like they have to have ironclad proof he was an abuser before publishing it.

The UK tabloids are a special kind of hosed up, they were the ones hacking people's voicemails and emails to get dirt, like hacking into Madeline McCann's parents and trawling for anything they could use for some gossip.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The worst would be when they hacked into a missing girls phone, deleted some messages to make room in case anybody left a message with something juicy and then didn't say anything when the girls parents saw that someone was checking her phone and believed it was proof she was still alive. That was the Rupsrt Murdoch/Pierce Morgan shitshow.

Morgan is also one of the lead tabloid shitbirds targeting Meghan Markle. He claims , off the record to anyone that will listen, she was turning tricks and he was a frequent customer until he bought her services for a weekend for Prince Harry in exchange for an interview and she decided to trade up.

The tabloid/press poo poo for Megan Markle was just disgusting. First you had notable op-eds trying to be subtle about their angry racism and some person outright saying she was acceptable as a mistress but not a wife. Then there was an aggressive campaign to just tear her down at every opportunity and the blatant hypocrisy in treatment between her and Kate was on full display with pictures of them in near identical situations and Kate was a radiant noble goddess and Megan was a scheming deceitful actress(i.e whore).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I feel like musicians have been loving underage girls as long as music has existed, and definitely as long as modern rock music has existed. the first caveman to develop a sense of rhythm probably did so because he wanted to impress his buddy's cave-daughter to develop a sense of trust and eventually exploit that trust to have sex.

The guy who married his 13 year old cousin and destroyed his career in the 1950s comes to mind.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Martman posted:

He also has the "wait, people can save my Snapchat messages? oh gently caress..." face

For a solid 30 seconds his face become the human equivalent of the blue screen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sponges posted:

Do wine enthusiasts consider the way Depp treats wine and some some of sacrilege? He drinks it like a frat boy pounding natty ice.

They're probably just excited he buys the "right" vintages and propagates the idea that good wine should be hundreds a bottle.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I don't get why these assholes don't just limit themselves to 19 year olds. People would still think he's a creep but it wouldn't have cost him the Netflix show I bet.

Its a power control thing, I think at some point these people just feel entitled to satisfy their desires and expected their fame to be a shield for them.

The stuff that came out for the SSB community was downright revolting basically almost every top 10 player was outed as harassing and soliciting underage female fans for nudes and a major female player was raping a 14 year old male when she was 24 and carried on telling him to promise to keep it secret until he turned 18.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I like Craig Ferguson, but

1) He quit, he wasn't fired. He's not coming back.
and
2) Maybe have literally anyone else than another straight white dude.

Wayne Brady would be an absolute delight.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Man if they had let that dogfighting mini-game go out they would've enabled the absolute end of the entire studio involved except all the white male execs would've just gotten off scot free.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is pretty much just like saying water is wet, but I'd imagine that's very much an intentional thing on Ellen's part. Be really nice to and around people who you view as equals, and then treat your inferiors like poo poo.

I very much believe all these celebrities that say Ellen was always sweet to them and that they never saw her do a single thing bad. But that stuff isn't the issue, the issue is how she acted when celebrities weren't around and there's a lot of evidence that suggests she acted VERY poorly.

It's extremely telling if someone's peers and superiors have a high opinion of them while their subordinates and service staff have a wildly different view. People really do show their true colors in the way they treat people they have power over.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I mean they can legally say "Confessed Child Rapist" Roman Polanksi I don't know why that's never taken off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

There isn't a problem with people making jokes in here. There is a problem with them making bad ones where the target of the humor is the victim, or the punchline is how hot they think the victim is.

Jokes mocking the state of the world like saying the Oscars give a get out of rape free certificate are funny because the organization is a cesspool of exploitation that has dismissed, covered up, or ignored rampant abuses from powerful people for the sake of prestige and money.

Jokes that ask why a person would bother cheating/abuser other women when they married a perfect 10 smokeshow is not funny because it makes it seem like its all based on attractiveness rather then gross abuses of power and privilege against vulnerable people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think the movie was always going to inspire moral panic with people but Netflix made it 10x worse with the fun marketing angle. It's a dramatic coming of age story in a world where social media and tiktok are a massive influence on prepubescent girls and many will seek to emulate the overt sexual behavior because its perceived as "cool". With the main girl it seems to say girls denied self expression or raised in repressive environments will do the same only because they want some control over their own life and body.

The dance scene is pretty extreme, but are they just copying popular dance "moves" that are a staple of music videos and tiktok dances? It's all so overtly sexual but like the girls don't even understand that its sexual. I think that at least sends the message that its not sexual behavior on the part of the girls just learned behavior from media consumption they aren't fully understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Here's a good example during the dance scene that explains the point of the movie

Judges smiling and watching, crowd cheering and clapping along

Women trying to covering her young daughter's eyes

It's pretty clear there are two wildly different reactions to the dance, and that in itself is the problem. The mother doesn't want her daughter exposed to that kind of sexual behavior but the entire crowd and judges are there to cheer it on and give it value/legitimacy. You can't see it in a still shot but the red headphones guy is smiling and nodding his head along pretty enthusiastically.

Netflix hosed up, probably either due to laziness or the person in charge missing the point of the film, because that first ad for the movie is 100% different then the tone. There's little to no happiness or positivity about anything in this film.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 11, 2020