Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MorgaineDax posted:

Is this "shove your fingers down her throat repeatedly" in some lovely PUA manual or something? Like, why would you think the 5th time's the charm, and that'll be the one that gets her motor running?

Yeah I really don't get that. What's this supposed to achieve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah my granddad was pretty horrible for the last couple of years of his life. It'd be good to have a medical professional's opinion though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NovemberMike posted:

How would it be anybody's fault? If she had a bad date and it made her uncomfortable, then that's what happened. People should support her. It just isn't a zero sum game, where if she felt bad there had to be a monster behind the curtains. Aziz sounds like he was legitimately doing weird stuff, but from her description there was consent and he backed off when he understood she wanted him to so it's hard to see him as a terrible person.

Nah she outright said no, he reassured her, then didn't stop.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They just gently caress up our views on different aspects of relationships.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

21 Muns posted:

Has Aziz Ansari (dumb name by the way, loving alliteration) faced any actual consequences yet?

Nah. He likely won't other than reputational harm.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MiddleOne posted:

I'll leave the original Banfield statement here for everyone who doesn't remember it for the unprofessional talking head hot-takes bullshit it is. Please remember while re-watching it that Aziz has as of yet suffered no real consequences of any kind beyond being outed for acting like a creep which he has not contested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4bAULTwAJU

Both she and the writer of the Babe article seem pretty awful. I feel bad for 'Grace' being caught up in such bullshit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Toplowtech posted:

It's now a full PR war and yes, the agents and publicists are where the power is. i do not think he did "i am a woke feminist" thing because he was a woke feminist. It was more likely because his agents tell him to do it. But hey why i am pessimist about hash-tag hacktivism, i wonder.

I don't think this equates with him writing Master of None at all.

I think he fully sees/saw himself as a feminist and either didn't realise how badly his actions contradicted it or he rationalised the issue away ("I'm not like those guys. I get the struggle women go through. I'm just trying to enjoy my date").

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This but unironically.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Well Uma did clarify her feelings on Quentin: https://www.instagram.com/p/Be0x6OCFRwQ/?taken-by=ithurman

And then Quentin gave more details on what happened: http://deadline.com/2018/02/quentin-tarantino-uma-thurman-harvey-weinstein-kill-bill-car-crash-new-york-times-1202278988/

But the Polanski comments are still a loving mess. I guess he could've changed his mind since he didn't sign the 2009 petition that literally everyone else signed.

I feel like Dowd could've mentioned some of this in the article...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

doomrider7 posted:

You forgot to add racist as hell and possibly colonialist given some of the HP lore about Native Americans and her portrayal of Palestine in her other series(Palestinian villain who may have been trans was portrayed as MASSIVELY anti-semitic simply by default). It's the same issue as Orson Scott Card where YA author who wrote books that spoke greatly and deeply to their audiences about issues they may be going through turns out to be a horrible person.

Also an utter melt who wasted a hundred pages of her last book banging on about the Labour left.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rowling was fine until she got a twitter account

Most people are fine until you hear their beliefs.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen one being used for its actual intended purpose in real life.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sort of rich given the actual McCarthyism we've had here for the last decade.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alan Smithee posted:

Probably gbs but I’d rather it be there than here at this point

Yeah it's pretty gross. That Trump guy is there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It was also a jury trial. Juries don’t create legal precedent because they aren’t ruling on the law but on the facts of a particular case.

Yeah I don't think it's so much settling a legal precedent as it is a societal one. Abusers (especially rich and powerful ones like Depp) have a brand new playbook that they can turn to to discredit anyone who points the finger at them. It's nothing new, per se, but it's going to drastically boost the confidence of abusers while silencing the voices of victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/prettydarke/status/1532428373422592001

Holy gently caress he got on the grift fast.