Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
About Spacey: Do we have any other high-profile cases recently where the accused was gay? That probably didn't help Spacey.

I didn't know that poo poo about MJ's dad and his sisters. I knew he was horribly abusive and controlling, but not the rape. Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Purely anecdotal but an old coworker of mine met Franco at some sort of signing. She was with a friend, and she told me he kept asking about whether they were in college yet and other weird-rear end questions related to them being young. She said it was weird af and his interest in them increased when be found out they were still teens. This was about ten years ago before this poo poo was well-known or even would have spread online. I was completely unsurprised when he was caught chatting up that Instagram teen. Franco's a creep.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Stand up comedy isn't funny enough to spend so much time defending.

Sexual Assaults and the Ethics of Standup

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
We'll start an inquiry to look into any evidence of a quiad pro quo.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He isn't? Just from following this thread it seems he was trying to deescalate situations and fell into a lethargic depression because of being abused. Are there concrete bad things we know for certain he did?

The most I've seen is a video where he slammed some cabinets, and in the audio, he admits he pushed her (and maybe threw something at her?). Given the context of her punching him, slicing off the tip of his finger, berating him for trying to de-escalate hostile situations, etc, those seem to be very mild, self-defensive reactions to her abusive af behavior.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

AFAIK Resetera was founded because one of the big name mods on Neogaf was outed as a sex pest, I'm gonna guess whatever alt-right takeover happened after the split.

The owner of the site was basically Me Too'd. A story came out that he had been out drinking with a female friend. They went back to where they were staying (maybe a hotel, can't remember). She vomited so she decided to take a shower to clean up. He stepped into her shower naked without her permission. They weren't dating. A friend of the lady was a Gaf user, and when he found out he posted an esoteric thread without naming names talking about how distraught it made him, and it was closed and OP was banned. Eventually the story came out while the owner was in crisis mode banning people etc. A bunch of users and mods left, some started Resetera. Edit: I'll note that many users had been fed up with Gaf moderation in general at that time as well.

Someone also unearthed an old post of the owner's where he slapped a stranger's rear end while he was on vacation, and was pretty gross talking about it. But the main thing was the shower story.

catapede fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 6, 2020

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I agree that sweeping Tara Reade's accusation under the rug was Dem's showing their true face when it came to sexual assault victims. Not a surprise, but still saddening. But it doesn't quite sit well with me that it "killed" Me Too. For me personally, Me Too was about being able to speak your truth, and highlighting how many people (with a large emphasis on women) have experienced and dealt with sexual assault. There is a world of difference between how sexual assault was talked about and/or handled before and after the "movement" gained momentum. And people are still calling out their abusers and gaining a platform. Yes, not enough people have faced real consequences for their actions, especially the powerful, but I just never felt like Me Too was exactly a "killable" thing.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

MacheteZombie posted:

This is a much better way to discuss the issue instead of the other poster calling this thread QAnon.

I haven't ruled out that Epstein died in the basement of Comet Ping Pong during an autoerotic asphyxiation mishap.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I dunno if you're joking or not, but I'm a rape victim whose rape fell in the "grey area" of boyfriend pressure. It took a decade for me to acknowledge what it was and how it hosed me up. MeToo helped open up further conversation, and absolutely helped me feel less alone and less to blame for what happened to me. And my ex-boyfriend raping me isn't the only sexual assault MeToo has helped me process.

Like wtf is this *sniff* poo poo. gently caress off. State yourself plainly instead of this bullshit holier than thou poo poo that often alienates the marginalized people we pretend to care about. lovely people and celebs co-opt tons of positive, "woke" movements, but they can't take away what MeToo gave me and my friends. MeToo was something bound to fade and stop being uttered, but discourse has absolutely changed thanks to it.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

MonsieurChoc posted:

but don't get angry at me for pointing out how it was thrown under the loving bus.

I haven't gotten irritated at most people arguing your point, but it's irritating when people post "sniff sniff" poo poo about other posters based on almost nothing. If that was not your intention, I apologize.

massive spider posted:

The arguments on the last page seem to be along the lines of “the democrats didn’t kill metoo because it’s not that easy to actually kill an idea” than an endorsement that their behaviour was cool and good though.

Pretty much this. Yeah, the DNC 100% dropped MeToo and "Believe Women" once a big name was accused and it was no longer useful to them. They 100% wanted it to go away. But I never believed MeToo was going to negatively affect people like Biden anyways. Also, I didn't really believe it was about making sure all abusers are punished.

And if MeToo didn't work, why's my Castlevania getting cancelled =(. (I wanna be clear Ellis deserves to lose the show).

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

MonsieurChoc posted:

If MeToo hadn't been a good thing, I wouldn't be angry at what happened to it.

:smith:

<3

Shageletic posted:

Watched the Breakfast club for the first time a couple of years ago and I loving HATED Judd Nelson's character

Glad to see I wasnt alone in thinking he was loving skeevy with Ringwald.

I straight up dont think thats a good movie.

I was never one of those people super into the Breakfast Club, and it's been at least a decade since I've watched it. I know I enjoyed the movie then, but yeah, I loathed Nelson's character. I wonder how I'd feel about the movie now.

It's interesting how Molly feels about what happened to her character in Breakfast Club, and how the actress in 16 Candles feels about what happened to her character. It's been 4 years since that article came out. I wonder if her thoughts have changed.

Lmao I forgot about the troops in Iraq line. The only thing worse than sharing a movie with someone and them not reacting to anything, is sharing a movie that aged extremely poorly. Edit to add: An ex's friend watched Ninja Scroll with his mom. He hadn't seen the movie before and hoo boy.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

King Vidiot posted:

I don't really think Bender is meant to be a model for how you're supposed to act, like he's a delinquent from an abusive home and everything he does is built on that. He isn't even sympathetic until we hear about his home life and see how the principal treats him.

I mean, I don't like that he basically ends up dating Molly Ringwald's character in the end because it kind of sends a bad message. But I think what Hughes was going for was a redemption arc. Like Bender has been a huge piece of poo poo for a long time but maybe he'll turn himself around now instead of turning into his dad.

Yeah, I agree. I think it's the fact that he ends up with Ringwald's character without much reflection? that makes it so annoying to me. But again, it's been ages since I've watched it, so I can't comment much.

Skwirl posted:

Ah, I just remembered a similar article from Molly Ringwald talking about rewatching 16 candles a few years back.

It might be the same article. This one is actually from 2018.

And yeah, I meant the other actress haha. I was on my phone, and too lazy to click on the article again to get her name.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okay, am I the only one who immediately could only think Futurama?

Bender's 40% Nelson.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Bust Rodd posted:

This is the part that really creeps me out, TBH, because it isn’t something that I’d think you’d risk your entire career on. It implies that Sanz and Fallon discussed hanging out with and molesting children before hand rather than Sanz just showing up to a party with a literal child and Fallon just rolling with it… then again “yes, and!”

The whole thing really sounds like stuff you’d read on incel forums “I never hung out with girls as a kid, I was a loser studying improv and now I’m a famous adult reliving my sexual frustrated teen fantasies out…” but it’s just totally hosed because Fallon and Sanz could have been hanging out with famous ADULT actresses and comedians, not children.

Fallon actually helped Sanz email the girl when she was 15, so your creep out is warranted!

https://twitter.com/sasimons/status/1426010005568987138?s=20

Also, what's lovely is how often that "well I'm just a dumb dude I didn't actually understand what I was doing" works (or at least used to). I've had dudes try to use that excuse to handwave other men's behavior as well. So loving ridiculous. You're right that it's incel as gently caress.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I "enjoyed" the bit where everyone in the area fell silent after the girl said she was a junior in high school. There's no way people didn't know this girl was there. She went to multiple cast parties, and no way does an awkward teen not stand out.

Does anyone know what the Tracy Morgan party is about? It mentions Sanz trying to change his ways after it, so I wondered if there's more there.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Skwirl posted:

If I was Brittaney Spears I'd agree to that and then have him killed. She's determined by a court to be mentally incompetent so she couldn't be held responsible for ordering the hit.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought similar things lol.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Skwirl posted:

This isn't an attempt to excuse his actions or anything, but I wonder if Dan Schneider did anything to him when he was a child making Drake and Josh? Most child predators were themselves victims of child abuse or molestation

This is actually a myth. It's estimated about 30% of child predators were abused as children (which is about the same as the national average of 28%).

https://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/nsor/som_mythsandfacts.htm

quote:

Becker and Murphy (1998) estimated that while 30 percent of sex offenders were sexually abused as children, 70 percent were not.

Hindman and Peters (2001) found that 67 percent of sex offenders initially reported experiencing sexual abuse as children, but when given a polygraph ("lie detector") test, the proportion dropped to 29 percent, suggesting that some sex offenders exaggerate early childhood victimization in an effort to rationalize their behavior or gain sympathy from others.

Abusers and harassers know what they're doing is wrong, and they know what lies to tell to garner sympathy and blame their actions on someone else. I believed the myth about abuse in childhood being common in abusive people's lives, but it seems like that only correlates to people who are extremely abusive.

Edited to add a fact.

catapede fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 19, 2021

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Phylodox posted:

I think the reverse needs to be accounted for, though. Do people who suffer sexual abuse at a young age disproportionately become offenders?

I feel the links provided so far cover that, and the answer is "no". Sexual offenders seem to have childhood assault rates that are on par with the national average in the US. If you were more likely to commit assault after being assaulted, then I think the numbers would be higher than 30%. I'm not much of a statistician, however.

This feels similar to people equating violent offenses to mental illness. Mental illness doesn't cause you to be violent, and a traumatic past doesn't make you more likely to cause trauma. I mentioned this in my last post, but the only time there seems to be a correlation between abused as a child and abusive as an adult are in extremely violent cases.

Here's the book I've read about this in, btw:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/224552.Why_Does_He_Do_That_

Edit:

Skwirl posted:

30% claim to have suffered it after the polygraph interview and somewhere between 5 and 15 percent of kids are molested, so probably?

It's 5-15% in one year, about 28% in their "lifetime" as a kid in the US.

Edit again: According to this:
https://victimsofcrime.org/child-sexual-abuse-statistics/#:~:text=During%20a%20one%2Dyear%20period,ages%20of%207%20and%2013.

quote:

During a one-year period in the U.S., 16% of youth ages 14 to 17 had been sexually victimized;
Over the course of their lifetime, 28% of U.S. youth ages 14 to 17 had been sexually victimized;

catapede fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 19, 2021

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Das Boo posted:

So not based on hard numbers, but just personal experience: Sexual abuse doesn't necessarily result in a sexual abuser, but it does seem more likely to result in an abuser, be it physical/emotional/psychological/etc. The opposite seems true too. I'm curious how those numbers would look if you widened the net a bit? (I mean, it would still be impossible to verify, but)

Like picking an example from my experiences, it went from generation to generation as sexual abuser > emotional abuser > physical abuser > sexual abuser. My guess is that each person is latching onto whatever means of control they can most easily exploit.

Of course, not excusing it. One of my parents was a cycle breaker, their siblings were not.

To add onto this, one thing that is prevalent among abusers is needing control.

But yeah, as Skwirl pointed out, data regarding sexual assault is overall unreliable for the reasons listed. Personally, I think male sexual assault is extremely under-reported, for instance.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

davidspackage posted:

Looking back, the message of media for my generation was "women must always be tricked into having sex"

In my teens (the "aughts"), I remember thinking, "Why does sex always seem to be something that happens to a woman instead of with a woman?"

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

deoju posted:

I forget her real name, but the actress who played Ros the red headed sex worker from Game of Thrones, also said Manson was abusive.

Yep, she's in the article. Here's one part, obvious CW:

quote:

Game of Thrones actress Esmé Bianco alleges that Warner frequently abused her verbally; deprived her of sleep and food; bit, cut, electrocuted, and whipped her without her consent; and raped her during their two years together. Bianco alleges that, in one horrifying episode, Warner wielded an ax and chased her around the apartment smashing holes in the walls after saying she was “crowding him.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
If this thread is so lovely, why don't you leave like you said you would in your first edit. You've done nothing but be a defensive prick since you started posting. You keep name-calling others while claiming everyone is talking to you in bad faith and calling you an MRA type. Most people are plainly responding to you while you snark with every post.