Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Mr. D’Elia expressed that Ms. Doe’s age, innocence, and virginity made the encounter ‘hot,’” the attorneys said in their statement... Their communication continued until May 2015, the lawsuit says. Doe turned 18 on Jan. 31, 2015.

Jesus loving christ. If he's the one who stopped communication, that does not look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Rooney Mara starred in the Nightmare on Elm Street remake and it almost led her to quit acting.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Bust Rodd is right that it's extremely suspect for older men to pursue women whose ages still end in "teen." When I was 18/19, I was extremely immature and couldn't have possibly navigated a date with a 50-year-old. Honestly I can't think of a single person who was capable of that at that age.

I think that Ben Affleck finding someone on Instagram to message her about unmatching him was weird as hell. He has allegations against him from 2017 that everyone just kind of forgot about. I don't blame anyone for forgetting because there's frankly too many creeps in Hollywood and it's impossible to keep track of them all. But it was weird to log onto Twitter and see people posting about how she should have just hosed him.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

Just gonna keep dealing with the fallout of Dan Schneider and his weird culture of rape forever, huh? Nickelodeon really sounds like a hellhole in the 90’s and early 2000’s

Echoing this. I'm generally more surprised by child stars who aren't hosed up, but especially if they worked under a tyrannical pedophile like Dan Schneider.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

An alleged pedophile said he wants to be "gentler" to his employees, let's for sure get him back to work

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Not a good week for Italians

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

quote:

“[I] swear on a stack of improv books … I’m a different person,” he allegedly said.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

The armorer is hosed regardless of what her lawyers say. They're probably trying to contain the level of hosed-ness and go for a settlement.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

The worst part of the Joss Whedon profile was the reveal that his real name is Joseph.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

LividLiquid posted:

Joss Whedon sucks and I'll never forgive him, but this is gross, and so was the article's treatment of it.

People's "real" names are whatever they tell you they are. The writer didn't need to include that information in an article about how big a piece of poo poo the guy is as a gotchya' about him being a pretentious douche.

I don't think it was used as a gotcha in the article? It's two words. "Born Joseph," followed by more biographical information about him. It's also been public knowledge for quite some time, but the Vulture article was the first I heard of it. It's not like he's trans and Joseph is his deadname. Frankly, it would be bad writing if every single detail in the article was specifically about what a piece of poo poo he is.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

In case it was ever in question -- I don't actually think Joss changing his name is worse than him cheating on his wife or abusing employees or maybe killing a kid. I was just having a laugh

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Today I learned that having a nickname is the same as being transgender

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Brooke Shields was 10 when she posed naked for photographer Gary Gross. The picture later ended up in Playboy. I don't know if it was specifically taken for Playboy or just sold to it afterwards, but either way it's still insane.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

He's constantly getting canceled, it just never sticks

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

DrVenkman posted:

There's no need to throw out conspiracies about Leto when it's not that hard to decipher: forum posts and whisper networks aren't allegations. Someone on Twitter saying 'this happened to a person I know' isn't really an allegation. Until someone is willing to say something, all you're going to see are the same variations of 'he likes to hit on 18 year olds' that imply a lot but say nothing.

This. There had been rumors and speculation about Louis CK since at least 2012, but he denied it until the New York Times was about to put out an article where they interviewed the victims themselves. Unless someone specifically comes out and says "This happened to me," no amount of secondhand accounts will do much.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

There's a clip of her on Conan in 1996 telling the story to raucous laughter. She acts it out and everything. I remember stumbling upon it a few months ago and being like... what...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj4GPwlpmbc

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

today on somethingawful: we're mad that the word "difficult" has been applied to a broad range of things

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

There's no such thing as mutual abuse. UK courts already found 12 instances where Depp abused Heard. Even if she's a lovely person, that doesn't mean lovely things haven't happened to her.

Also, this trial isn't about whether the abuse happened, it's whether Heard's op-ed was the sole reason Johnny Depp lost work thereafter -- even though he's been a liability on set for years now.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Blame-shifting is an extremely common element of abuse -- it's part of DARVO (deny, attack, reverse victim and offender). For example, "I didn't abuse you, you're crazy, you abused me."

From my understanding, Depp's most publicized incidents of Heard abusing him came from moments where he initiated. Like when she hit him, it was because he was about to throw her sister down a flight of stairs. When she allegedly cut off a chunk of his finger (there are texts to his doctor saying he did it himself), it was during a three-day bender where he was smashing bottles and destroying windows.

In Why Does He Do That? Lundy Bancroft goes into this (this is on page 61 of my paperback):

quote:

Emile, a physically violent client with whom I worked, gave me the following account of his worst assault on his wife: "One day Tanya went way overboard with her mouth, and I got so pissed off that I grabbed her by the neck and put her up against the wall." With his voice filled with indignation, he said, "Then she tried to knee me in the balls! How would you like it if a woman did that to you?? Of course I lashed out. And when I swung my hand down, my fingernails made a long cut across her face. What the hell did she expect?"

The abuser’s highly entitled perceptual system causes him to mentally reverse aggression and self-defense. When Tanya attempted to defend herself against Emile’s life-threatening attack, he defined her actions as violence toward him. When he then injured her further, he claimed he was defending himself against her abuse. The lens of entitlement the abuser holds over his eye stands everything on its head, like the reflection in a spoon.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

It's worth pointing out that all the witnesses called to the stand so far have been from the plaintiff's side -- of course they're going to claim they didn't see any abuse. They are there to prove the plaintiff's case. When the defense presents their case next week, they will likely call witnesses who testify that they did see Depp abuse Heard.

Also, if we're using the creepiness/weirdness of actions to prove one's abusiveness (which I'm not necessarily against), what are we to make of Depp dipping his bleeding finger in paint to scrawl messages on the mirror accusing Heard of having an affair?

The fact is -- Depp got on the stand this week and said he has never hit a woman. That's the crux of the defamation trial -- you said I hit you when I didn't. But there are texts from his assistant to Heard saying "Johnny is very sorry for kicking you."

emo-ignorance fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 29, 2022

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Ellen Barkin said Depp threw a wine bottle at her while they were dating

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

There was a story in Kathy Griffin's book about how she did a show at a college with Andy Dick and he got this huge dude to walk onstage and start raping him while he screamed at the audience for not doing anything to stop it.

edit: i found the excerpt in bits & pieces on google books and uploaded it to imgur you're welcome. there was a page missing, but apparently andy dick started doing standup and then left the stage, and this plant in the audience volunteered to sing, at which point andy dick came back onstage in drag, showed everyone his dick, and got humped.

emo-ignorance fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 12, 2022

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

In 2020, Bot Sentinel reported that there were bots stoking anti-Heard sentiment online. I don't doubt that it's still happening, but I think there has been a bit of a domino effect -- after a while, you don't need the bots because they've already convinced real people of Depp's story.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

The full context of "who would believe that you, a man, had been abused" is that they were talking about all the times he beat the poo poo out of her. She said, "I thought you were going to kill me" and he says "Well I lost my finger." Source

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

We could compare Amber Heard to Hillary Clinton, but Monica Lewinsky might be a more accurate comparison

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Amber Heard's witnesses have begun corroborating her story. See court recaps here and here. Not only did he brutalize Amber, but he apparently chased her friend's fiance around their penthouse?

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

During her testimony Heard said she had heard a rumor
that Depp pushed Kate Moss down the stairs, she didn’t say it was a fact. For what it’s worth, her team called another one of his former sexual partners (Ellen Barkin) to testify that he was violent and controlling when they had a brief fling in the ‘90s.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I don't understand the logistics of finding them both liable. So Heard was being defamatory when she called Depp abusive, but Depp was also defamatory when he said it was a hoax?

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Depp's lawyer was found to have made a defamatory statement in response to the original defamation.

Right, but defamation needs to be false, so how are both "He abused me" and "She's lying" defamatory? Dumb jury

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

weekly font posted:

No one with any sense is celebrating the fact that Amber Heard did damage to women who have been victims of abuse.

Who did the damage? Depp brought the lawsuit to court. After he lost in the UK, he brought it to America. What was she supposed to do?

Like it or not, court precedent is a thing (edit: not for jury trials lol sry). Heard had more evidence than most victims who apply for restraining orders. This case will likely be cited in lots of other cases from here on out.

emo-ignorance fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 2, 2022

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

weekly font posted:

Not lie on the stand :shrug:

Where did she lie? I can find lots of parts where Depp and his witnesses' lies were disproven by their own text messages.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

weekly font posted:

You asked me about Heard so maybe stop the whataboutism. Depp is not a good person either.

They held up two pictures of her alleged abuse that were identical save for alterations in saturation and she insisted they were different. She said she had nothing to do with leaking information to TMZ when there is deposition video of her letting that slip and a former worker for TMZ showing up to say "yeah that's literally the only way we could have got that video or information about where she'd be to photograph her." This is going to have impact on a jury who isn't extremely online Pac-Maning up every tweet and piece of information about the case.

How is it whataboutism when the two people are inextricably linked through the case? That's like saying it's whataboutism to compare two candidates for office lmao. If they're both lying, Depp's lies are way more damning. On the stand, he said that he never laid a hand on anyone in his life, but that's disproven by audio clips of him admitting to hitting Heard. His sister said she had no knowledge of his drug problems, which are disproven by texts from her like "My brother has a problem and he needs help."

As for TMZ, Team Depp has always had way more connections to them than Heard, so I don't doubt that they were the ones to call. Heard didn't admit to calling them, she just said she was aware that they had been called.

As for the pictures, idk. You've got a point there.

To acknowledge your edit, it's not that I personally believe, as a Heard supporter, that women can't commit abuse. It's that one party has evidence dating back years and the other one doesn't. One party, most of his witnesses are on his payroll, and the other one's aren't. I resent the idea that I haven't paid attention to the evidence, because I have. If Heard has to be a perfect victim in order to be believed, so should Depp, and he has been the least credible person in this case.

emo-ignorance fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 2, 2022

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

“Never did I, myself, reach the point of striking Ms Heard in any way, nor have I ever struck any woman in my life,” Depp said.

If their relationship was mutually abusive, that would mean that Amber is in fact a victim of abuse and was not defamatory in her op-ed. That being said, I think that's a mischaracterization, as she has detailed his abuse as beginning in 2012 and his earliest instance of suffering abuse at her hands comes much later.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

weekly font posted:

lol yes this was what I meant and not the smoking gun audio clips you're referencing

Whoops, sorry. Here's reference to the audio clip:

The lawyer asked if he agreed if there’d been a head butt, to which Johnny responded, “No, I would vehemently disagree with that, sir,” ... After Johnny’s response, they played an audio recording of Johnny and Amber talking. “I head butted you in the f**king… forehead. That doesn’t break a nose.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

edit: thing i was responding to got deleted so this post doesn’t need to exist