Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

This makes me think the stuff with Spacey is way, way worse than what's been reported so far.
Yeah but a part of me remember it's also Hollywood and Sony so they can perfectly be in full executive panic mode since he was fired from house of card and are only thinking they will lose more money not digitally replacing him. But yeah clearly the netflix recent decision does not help Spacey's image.
Lol. Never change hollywood.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

dont even fink about it posted:

Well this is miles better than "I choose now to live my life as a gay man"
Yet people on twitter are already bitching his excuses do not include "i am sorry". :suicide:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ruddiger posted:

I didn't realize Ridley made the call himself and let Sony know after the fact.
That's great and certainly better than what i suspected to have happened: Sony execs getting scared over the profitability of the movie. Good for him!

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 11, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

The fact that we've seen women be shitheels in terms of systematically fostering the culture that leads to this poo poo actually supports this point.
There is definitively an economic factor to that, limiting it to a pure cultural thing may not be the best way to deal with it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Grouchio posted:

House of Cards to Resume Filming without Kevin Spacey

How the hell are they going to do that?
President Underwood would get assassinated off-screen, his vice president takes over, and suddenly this isn't House of Cards anymore.
FYI, the original "house of card" uk show ends up with FU planning his own assassination.. If the last season is a warren commission style season and we constantly watch a video of Underwood getting a bullet in the head, it's perfect.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 28, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

viral spiral posted:

Jesus loving Christ. :psyboom:
Lol, i am not surprised. The guy's agency is William Morris Endeavor and it is a super powerful talent agency. Their CO-ceos are Patrick Whitesell whose whole family is litterally everywhere in Hollywood and Ari Emanuel (Rahm's brother), a certain character from entourage is heavily based on him: Ari Gold. The whole Jeremy Piven's situation makes the whole thing even funnier. This is like a really special episode of Entourage.
Edit: one where no one will bitch in the thread if you dare to say that the show is poo poo.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 2, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vegetable posted:

These idiots will all duck out to Paris and congregate to the point of having enough people and money to form an exclusively sexual-predator filmmaking community. And some of the films will actually be good, and society will be eternally caught between hating the artist and loving the art.
Yeah, sure they may not get the reception they expect in Paris.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

21 Muns posted:

France, well known for responding harshly to sexually abusive filmmakers.
Lol if you think EVERYONE is in favor of your loving pedos camping here and that we have no feminists who have constantly bitched (rightfully so) about Polanski for the last 30 years.
We have always refused the extradition of our citizen to foreign countries* and guess who did remember he got the French nationality (he was born here)?
We didn't keep him because he was a pedo you genius, do not come here if you think you loving kids is why we won't throw you back to the US.
Actually do come. We will make you a parade back to the US marshal plane.

*Not to country who practice the death penalty in particular.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 8, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Hohn hohn hohn
Mayor Quimby deserved to be nuked.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

That's the third woman this year and there was also Merryl Streep in 1979. I guess Dustin can't stop himself from grabbing tits.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Didn’t Michael Bay nearly get killed due to one of his explosions propelling a pole at high speeds inches from his head? I think it was on the set of The Island.
If we go into Hollywood myth&rumors, then, in Trader Horn, a 1931 MGM film whose achievement is spreading the myth of the elephants graveyard to the whole world, many of the crew, including the director, contracted malaria. An African crewman fell into a river and was eaten by a crocodile. There is a scene where the main actor cross a river swinging on a rope. The crocs trying to grab his legs on screen and to eat him? They were real. A second African crewman was killed by a charging rhino. The rhino was captured on film and the scene was used in the final form of the film. Swarms of insects, including locusts and the-tse flies, were common and female lead Edwina Booth became infected, probably with malaria or schistosomiasis, during filming. It took six years for her to fully recover from this and other conditions she endured. She retired from acting soon after and sued Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. The case was settled out of court and it was one of the first big trial against a studio in Hollywood. The sound crew, sent halfway through filming, were unable to produce good quality work. This resulted in most of the dialogue sequences being reshot at MGM's studio in Culver City, California. This caused rumours that the entire production had been filmed there, so most of this footage was cut from the final release. Also the lions were reportedly starved to encourage vicious attacks on hyenas, monkeys and deer, all filmed of course. The lions attacks were filmed in Mexico to dodge american anti-animal-cruelty laws. :hollywood: Trader Horn was a success, made 1 million dollars (1931) and secured an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxXM8M0vro8

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 25, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I was confused for a second, it should read "Ben Vereen was harassing women during the 1967 production of Hair for which he got his 1968 Tony and also during his 2015 Hair revival". He probably got more post-68 harassment stories with his 50+ year long career.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 6, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If you get called in to do work being your contact, you should get paid for it. It's not Wahlverf's fault Williams agent is dumb
I do agree, people can spin the "she did for free FOR THE CAUSE" all they want, she should have asked to get paid for her job which in this case was fixing the company's mistake (hiring Spacey) and then she could have given the money to charities. I don't think the gender pay gap will ever been fixed by women generously doing free work to fix some suit mistake.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

Le Monde put up that statement signed by 100 women from across entertainment, legal, and academic circles in France, and the translated portions read like flat out misrepresentations of #MeToo (and it's corresponding French equivalent) and what's grown out of the Weinstein scandal.
The perception of the Weinstein scandal in France is far far less optimistic about what the American feminists will gain out of this crisis than let's say the english speaking part of twitter.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Interesting, can you expand on what that general feeling is over there?
Basicaly getting ride of a few men and putting a few women in place won't change the system, Hollywood will stay a giant rape machine and just try to hide it better. Worse case scenario, you manage to create an Outreau Trial style affair (McMartin preschool trial would be the us equivalent) and do more damage than you fix.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 10, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

The French stuff is really sad. Also, given that they'll happily close ranks to protect a child rapist in Polanski, and a child trafficker whose name I can't remember (kids were being trafficked in Mexico, a French woman was involved, France refused to extradite or prosecute her) I'm loathe to think what the motives here might be.
Okay if you want the some of the motives, Catherine Deneuve is old sure but she also was old enough to be one of the signatories of de Beauvoir's Manifesto of the 343 Sluts. What she is doing is basically telling the young women in france that American style feminism, after nonsense like Gamergate, the new ghostbuster and Hillary Clinton's non-election and ultimate defeat against someone they now daily compare to a brainless idiot (so what are the people he managed to beat, many wonder?) should be seen at best as worthless and at worst as toxic. The thing is we have far better abortion laws and many old school feminists beside Deneuve are currently afraid the current brand of American feminism could end up being toxic, alienate the electorates and cause a regression to the laws in other countries. That if that poo poo spread here (well worse than it's already and some could argue it was born here and just flourished on the other side of the Atlantic), it's going to poison the weel and we are going back to align with country with poo poo abortion laws like the US, Germany or Italy.
It's basically an expression of the decade old faction war inside French feminism and of course all the English speaking journos are already painting Deneuve a reactionary.
But hey we don't really expect you to perceive it by any point of view that isn't self centered on yourself.

Also the second the state of California stop allowing the death penalty, Polanski will be thrown to a plane to Hollywood and i don't remember the Mexico thing but i think to remember a vaguely similar sounding case of the French woman who was the children mother and it's about the Mexican dad wanting his kids back and accusing her of prostituting them? But hey, feel, free to react by calling us backward rapist-loving assholes that don't know what they are talking about, we are use to that kind of reactions from Americans since the Second Iraq war.

It's mostly an internal debate between Simone Veil style feminists against Chiennes-de-Garde style feminists in an international context.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 11, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

YodaTFK posted:

What the gently caress does the death penalty have to do with Polanski skipping out?

Everything. We do not keep the fucker because we like him, despite what ignorant Americans think.

Okay, story time.
Polansky in the middle of his trial remember that he got the french nationality too and fly to France a country without an extradition treaty with the US (but we have the death penalty at the time).
A few years pass and then death penalty is abolished in France (1981).
Bill Clinton decide it's time to sign an extradition treaty with France (to get Polanski? Can't remember if it mattered that much) but since the death penalty is not allowed in France we add a note saying "we will never EVER extradict one of our citizen or anyone really to the US to states with the death penalty" because there is no way we could sign that treaty otherwise (it would basically be applying the death penalty by proxy country) Clinton accept and sign. We have an extradition treaty but Polansky is safe!

There are several ways Polansky could be extradited to California:
1) California abolish the death penalty
2) California pass a law abolishing the death penalty for Polansky and Polansky alone
3) The president of the united state do such a favor to France, we fell obligated toward the US enough to say "gently caress what's one life", we sue Polanski as the French state in California ourselves and there is no technical legal barrier anymore to prevent his extradition.
4) the death penalty is legal again in France AND you fuckers renegotiate the treaty.

tl;dr: we do not extradict people if they risk the death penalty. Doesn't matter if you are gay and live in a country where it's the death penalty or if you are a child rapist, do your country wants to kill you, is it even a possibility? Welcome to France.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 11, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Also Gamergate and ghostbuster(s)? They don't represent poo poo in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to the election, and I seriously doubt anyone opinions on feminism was ever formed in the great "Ghostbusters was a D+ movie" controversy on 2016.
Dumb controversies is what feed the far right machine. I wish it wasn't the case and i may sound crazy to you but that stupid poo poo is actually damaging. loving dumb poo poo like the Leonarda Dibrani mediatic nonsense in France are toxic.

khwarezm posted:

That is some bullshit and basically works off this idea that feminism needs to make itself meek and not push hard too hard against the reactionaries lest they throw a tantrum and take away people's rights.
Now see, if you do nothing the other side would find poo poo to do to damage you. I am not telling you to do nothing and shut up, i am asking you are you sure you are doing your best to actually improve the situation and not to waste your time on worthless controversies. The point is not to push hard against reactionary, it's to loving win concrete things, like rights or concrete objective not loving online controversy against trolls. But hey, let's firebomb everything, the goddess will recognize her own and i am sure it will make you feel good.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 11, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CountFosco posted:

But none of the crimes Polanski is guilty of are even eligible for the death penalty? Like, that's not an actual risk.
Not allowing extraditions of French citizen to countries which refuse to ban the death penalty is what it is about. I think in the Ira Einhorn case we literally asked the USA to start a new trial because the original one sentenced him to actual death* for murder. But Einhorn wasn't a french national so sending him to serve a life sentence was okay. The golden rule is you aren't deported to death penalty places, if you are French citizen. Moving Polanski trial to new mexico could work, i guess, but i don't think it's an option.
edit:
*actually could sentence him to death
I forgot tons of stuff about the Einhorn case but:

quote:

Following the court's decision, 35 members of the US Congress sent a letter to French President Jacques Chirac of France to ask for Einhorn's extradition. However, under France's doctrine of the separation of powers, which was invoked in this case, the President cannot give orders to courts and does not intervene in extradition affairs.
That "all countries work like my country" poo poo never get old.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 11, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

"If we admit sexual assault is a problem, our abortion laws will be ruined."
Nice way to reinterpret what people say to you. Here is another one "listen and try to understand people". Sexual assault is a problem, your solution to it will most likely make poo poo even worse, yes.You know the opposite of better. If you think that make me a monster to doubt you, fell free to put me on your ignore list. I can admire your desire to make the world a better place, ideological napalm and lynching crowds are just not my taste.

quote:

Protecting a pedophile to make a statement about another country's death penalty while letting him continue to be a free, lauded director is a really lovely way to make a point.
Pretty sure it's also done on the European level by the European court of Human Rights and it also protect terrorists who actually murdered children. If the USA suddenly decided to abolish the death penalty, i would give the country two weeks top, judging by the raging self righteous fury in this thread to do the same or probably even worse.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 11, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

i am the bird posted:

he power imbalance is literally that he has cultural power and sway as a ‘woke feminist bae’ and is also a 34 year old man pursuing and pressure a 22 year old woman who knows his public reputation. He has a loving PR team, for christ sake. The idea that he has to control her paycheck to be powerful is nonsense.
It's now a full PR war and yes, the agents and publicists are where the power is.
I must admit i wasn't expecting PMK BNC to pull the CNN orbital cannon to nuke the blog from cable network orbit. If you though Aziz was too aggressive in his dating before, Jesus wait to see the next move of his agents.

sponges posted:

Ansari is ruined
Maybe yes but maybe no, some people look really interested in saving his career, they invested in it and expected 20 years of benefits from it, at least. Also, while we are at it, i do not think he did "i am a woke feminist" thing because he was a woke feminist. It was more likely because his agents tell him to do it. But hey why i am pessimist about hash-tag hacktivism, i wonder.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

I don't think this equates with him writing Master of None at all.

I think he fully sees/saw himself as a feminist and either didn't realise how badly his actions contradicted it or he rationalised the issue away ("I'm not like those guys. I get the struggle women go through. I'm just trying to enjoy my date").
Lol, we will have to agree to disagree then. Media is nothing but a giant scam, it's nice you buy into the stories it tells you.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Come on now. I think it's pretty tinfoil hat to be blaming his agency for the blog appearing to be the journalistic equivalent of an ambulance chaser. It's Babe's own words that make them appear to be lacking in experience, integrity, and a basic ability to communicate like adults, let alone professionals.
Oh yeah they sure are poo poo at babe and PMK BNC is so good at doing nothing to defend their Aziz after his non apology/denial, when suddenly so many media starts pointing babe's weakness out. *wink* *wink* :tinfoil: *nudge* *nudge*.
edit: i mean they are in the top 5 of most lists for 50 most powerful PR firms in America but they aren't doing anything there. No, sir.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 18, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Don't be a loving idiot. It does no good to anyone or to the cause as a whole to start crying conspiracy to defend what you perceive as an outlet on your side. Babe have conducted themselves like, at best, amateurs. At worst they come across as more interested in their own aggrandisement than justice for 'Grace'. This is a problem specifically because it opens the story up to a natural redirection into covering what a bunch of berks they are as opposed to 'Grace''s complaint.

It doesn't take a conspiracy of the rich and powerful to get your poo poo called out on air when your interaction with with the news broadcasters involves insulting their appearance and age like you were a 14 year old. I don't think there are any news broadcasters who wouldn't have considered that poo poo to be relevant to reporting on the source of a story.
Hey i do agree with most your points, i already pointed out in this thread i believe #metoo is going to crash and burn over some nonsense (just before the aziz thing started in fact), because of the terrible qualities of a small minority of feminist INTERNET warriors and the fact the people in the other side are professional Hollywood machine pr men and women. It's not a loving conspiracy, it's business. And there is a side that's far much better at it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

If you want the real tinfoil conspiracy consider that Babe is funded by Murdoch, and then think about whether Babe loving up helps or hurts the movement. Then wrap yourself entirely in tinfoil and consider that with their habit of hacking phones, they wouldn't even need to talk to 'Grace' given that we know Ansari had a conversation about his conduct via text.
Yes phone hacking aka "the dark arts" in the uk press. The huffington post is right, life is a giant harry potter allegory, but who will go to azkaban? :tinfoil:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 18, 2018