Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It’s turning into politics and a lot of the people who are running those channels are the same kinds of people who look up to Ben Shapiro and his MANLET DESTROYS BLUE HAIRED SJW WITH LOGIC videos.

I will say, however, I think the slow burn trash fire nature of it has really pulled in a lot of people who don’t care about the idpol and are watching in the same way I remember OJ as a kid. I’m off for a while and I’ve had it on in the background after my mother was talking to me about it and I’m surprised how much of the case that’s being presented in the trial itself (not tainted by libertarian YT law commentary or CourtTV spin) is far different than anything I had read leading up to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Also the open admission to hitting him and saying “who would believe you, a man” on tape. They are both toxic assholes who ruined each other’s lives and careers but stuff like that is why you’re going to bring out the MRA types on the YT. Much like Rittenhouse it’s the perfect case for the worst people

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’m not litigating anything here I’m explaining why this case is running up the score on YouTube

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

massive spider posted:

I really hate every time I see one of those “Ricky gervais DESTROYS Hollywood elites at the golden globes” clips. He got invited back.

FIVE TIMES

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

emo-ignorance posted:

Right, but defamation needs to be false, so how are both "He abused me" and "She's lying" defamatory? Dumb jury

Because she was caught openly and brazenly lying multiple times during her cross examinations. Whether the abuse was true or not that is the goal of the lawyer to make her credibility go out the window, and she looked ridiculously unbelievable up there lying about edited photos

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think assumptions like that shows just how deeply culture war has permeated everything. Republicans don’t care about Amber Heard they care that me too “lost” or whatever the gently caress goes on in their dumb minds.

Do you really think Republicans care about an actor who moved to France and has never had a nice thing to say about their party? Or are they just bad faith actors latching on to anything to score points? They’re a spiteful bunch of gremlins.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Metis of the Hallways posted:

“I spoke up against sexual violence—and faced our culture’s wrath.”

“I became a public figure representing domestic abuse.”

That's all she said. Can't identify as a victim of abuse without being accused of defamation anymore.

also, yeah. I'm checking out, not worth my sanity!

She specified a time frame following a high profile divorce. The jury seemed to think it was pretty obvious who she was referring to. Probably didn’t help she outright says during her cross examination “that’s why I wrote it about him.”

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It was terrible the moment people started posting about it when they never watched it. Just like any Cined thread.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Glad we agree

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

No one with any sense is celebrating the fact that Amber Heard did damage to women who have been victims of abuse.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

emo-ignorance posted:

Who did the damage? Depp brought the lawsuit to court. After he lost in the UK, he brought it to America. What was she supposed to do?

Not lie on the stand :shrug:

Also he didn't lose to Amber Heard in the UK he lost to The Sun over their ability to publish accusations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

emo-ignorance posted:

Where did she lie? I can find lots of parts where Depp and his witnesses' lies were disproven by their own text messages.

You asked me about Heard so maybe stop the whataboutism. Depp is not a good person either.

They held up two pictures of her alleged abuse that were identical save for alterations in saturation and she insisted they were different. She said she had nothing to do with leaking information to TMZ when there is deposition video of her letting that slip and a former worker for TMZ showing up to say "yeah that's literally the only way we could have got that video or information about where she'd be to photograph her." This is going to have impact on a jury who isn't extremely online Pac-Maning up every tweet and piece of information about the case.

Also, to acknowledge other posts, get out of my face with the idea that not believing Amber Heard means that you love abusers and think all women are liars. I can support believing women and not believe Amber Heard after seeing evidence and interpreting it for myself. I also think it's gross that so many people who are supposedly vehement supporters of victims can't or refuse to imagine a world where a woman could have committed abuse on a man.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 2, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

emo-ignorance posted:

How is it whataboutism when the two people are inextricably linked through the case? That's like saying it's whataboutism to compare two candidates for office lmao. If they're both lying, Depp's lies are way more damning. On the stand, he said that he never laid a hand on anyone in his life, but that's disproven by audio clips of him admitting to hitting Heard. His sister said she had no knowledge of his drug problems, which are disproven by texts from her like "My brother has a problem and he needs help."

As for TMZ, Team Depp has always had way more connections to them than Heard, so I don't doubt that they were the ones to call. Heard didn't admit to calling them, she just said she was aware that they had been called.

As for the pictures, idk. You've got a point there.

Yeah I also saw the evidence, thanks. I'll say it again: Depp is an rear end in a top hat and was very likely part of a toxic, mutually abusive relationship. You asked me to point to where Heard was lying. I did. That, after coming out and stating I AM A REPRESENTATIVE FOR ABUSED WOMEN, makes her a bad representative for women who have actually been abused.

emo-ignorance posted:

If they're both lying, Depp's lies are way more damning. On the stand, he said that he never laid a hand on anyone in his life, but that's disproven by audio clips of him admitting to hitting Heard.

I'd be interested in hearing this cause I don't recall it in the trial

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

lol yes this was what I meant and not the smoking gun audio clips you're referencing

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

pentyne posted:

el oh loving el

like clockwork

reminder, mutual abuse is not a thing

You're a disgusting person. Congrats on turning something that matters into team sports

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ah, thanks. I only remembered this in the context of him defending it as an accident which really isn't explicit in the audio. I know the jury had full audio from which only portions were played during the trial. I'd be curious to know if they listened further.

Also, since you asked about stuff that I think hurt AH's credibility (and you seem to actually be interested in another perspective and not a bad faith shitlord) one of the things I forgot that I think turned her heel in the eyes of the jury was when it came out she had 18 months between the settlement and new lawsuit and didn't donate much money to the charities she "pledged" to and then argued the meaning between pledge and donate. Again, I don't think this says anything about who beat who, I just think it showed some dissonance between the public persona she has tried to create for herself and reality. The fact that this very unique case between millionaires that is actually about nationally published op-eds has became any kind of parallel for your "standard" abuse cases sucks because it's so weird and one of a kind.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 2, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MacheteZombie posted:

The National Domestic Violence Hotline says mutual abuse does not exist. Abuse is about power imbalances and rarely do those imbalances change back and forth. Both/all partners can engage in unhealthy behaviors but the term "mutual abuse" is not considered an accurate way to describe it.

If you have other information on the term mutual abuse I think you should share it.

Fine, I'll just openly say I think JD was the victim since apparently it's all or nothing. Does that make it better or does that get me a probe?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MacheteZombie posted:

No?

You're using the term mutual abuse and from my understanding it's a misnomer. I merely asked you to source your claim that mutual abuse is proper term.

I don't think you're trying to do some team sports cheerleading, but using a loaded term is going to cause conflict with people.

Things that will also cause conflict is OP lumping me in with twitter MRAs for using a phrase that seemed logical and concise as oppose to the much longer, "A toxic relationship wherein one person was lashing out in retaliation after years of physical, emotional and mental abuse." Sorry I didn't know it wasn't APA approved, I'll avoid it from here on out.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 2, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Because you don't get to chase people out of threads because they disagree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought they were being asked if it was slander/libel which is quite obviously should not have been. Were they being asked for something else?

Amber Heard's defense team did not focus arguments on the idea that it was a matter of first amendment and free speech. This was probably a winning track, arguing that Amber felt victimized and that was the reasoning behind the op-ed. Instead they argued that everything even loosely mentioned in it was true, opening the door for a lot more to be brought in under discovery. Putting yourself on defense and needing to explain a lot of the more "sensational" aspects of the relationship, clearly, did not play with the jury.

This is not commentary on who was an abuser, just a point on why so much about abuse was brought into the defamation case and why it became a referendum on that.