Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm glad the Louis CK stuff is finally out with names and all. It was aggravating watching him still dismiss it as rumors when there was so much smoke. It is funny that only a few months ago Tig Notaro sent him that public message to address it all.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Who cares? They said that the day the allegation came out, and then 20 other people came out showing how much of a shithead he is.

I do kind of feel sympathy for his wife. I understand choosing to support the person you love for one allegation where you know the other person involved. It might be lovely but I understand it. That's clearly something they've talked about before since their joint statement was immediate. But then all the other allegations come out and suddenly it's all questions about who your spouse has been and is.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

The whole Louis situation is so frustrating. The rumors were around for years and I was glad he finally was revealed after actively denying it. But just from his standup and shows you knew his apology was going to be decent. But that doesn't mean it was real and him returning to the stage so soon says everything. gently caress Louis CK.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 29, 2018

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Louis CK did a set where he basically just talked about how bad his year has been without ever apologizing for what he did. One woman didn't enjoy it.

I'm always confused why more people don't do poo poo like that. Disappointed more than confused. Good for her.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah the whole perfect victim thing is still a huge deterrent to reporting abuse.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

I mean, just the fact that the film itself was like a transparent spectacle made about his own anxieties about being an artist influenced by Woody Allen and making it about a quasi-incestuous love triangle with a father trying to make his daughter not date a very old famous dude. It was clearly, deliberately written, like a lot of his later stuff on Louie, to goad growing popular anxieties over sexism and sexual misconduct and minimize it. Frankly, his embarrassment could not have come at a better time, nor could it have had a more just outcome short of actual criminal repercussions. It was the peak of his delusions of creative grandeur, his critical lionization, and his being outed as a hypocritical scumbag just completely bulldozes any of that virtually overnight.

People talk about "canceling" being useless, symbolic language - but, to be fair, in that case, public shaming totally worked to "cancel" a movie.

I'll always be happy it all timed out the way it did with CK. My favorite is Tig Notaro literally publicly calling him out to come forward and address these rumors honestly, and then two months later it all came out. It was such an open secret you could feel the bubbling anger from women comics towards him about it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Sucrose posted:

I had a feeling that case against Spacey was going to fall through. It didn’t make a lot of sense. As far as I know Spacey is still being investigated by police for several different accusations (he was interviewed by British police last year) but no charges have been brought yet.

Only thing I’ve heard about Goldblum is that he likes to date women ridiculously younger than him. Like, he was going with a 21 year old when he was in his 50s.

I think it was Lauren Lapkus or Stephanie Allnye that talked about Goldbulm being very grabby with women on their podcast.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Yep, it's weird that, despite the long history of musicians creeping on underage girls (and writing songs about it) and despite people thinking we've "moved on" from that culture, a guy is just openly grooming underage girls to gently caress when they turn legal and then dump when they reach their 20's. Just doing it right out in the open, everybody knows about it, but I guess since he waits until they're legal he's not technically doing anything punishable by law.

He's basically just another Epstein, but he has to be smarter about it because he's not as wealthy or white.
R Kelly got away with his poo poo for decades and it was a wide open thing. Drake is nothing new and this poo poo takes so loving long to change.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think he's even directly throwing money at these problems. I think he's leveraging himself being a huge famous rapper to get stage parents to basically just feed their kids to them, in the hopes that being associated with him will make the kid's fame rise (and make the parents' wallets fatter).

Like, I don't think it's some kind of accident that the two people he's most visibly preyed on are Millie Bobby Brown and Billie Eilish, who are both pretty weirdly transparent about being more #brand than human and will probably both need years and years of therapy in adulthood even without his rear end involved.

e: I should note, I've been kind of annoyed at Billie Eilish's fame because something about the sheer transparency of how manufactured she is (she was more or less groomed from birth to be a pop musician) seems like the music industry trying to mock everybody, but in this sort of situation I have a lot of empathy for her. Nobody deserves to be basically sold to a pervert for tabloid bucks.

Momentum is a hell of a horrific thing in these situations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Uh...no, John Grisham. That is not a normal experience.

It's always so frustrating that people think their experience is universal. I'm sure he's told that story to friends and they nodded along so he's fine with sharing it publicly because hey we all do it right?

But oh they're just being honest and the rest of us are pretending. Yeah man yeah. People like that just never learn.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Bombshell unsurprisingly super bombed at the box office because the kind of people who want to see a movie about women taking down a powerful predator aren’t the people rooting for FOX news anchors

Yeah as much as Hollywood seems to aim for certain demographics I have no idea what audience they were chasing with Bombshell.

It's a movie I'm sure people will check out when it hits steaming but there was zero box office potential.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I also think there was just an element of a lot of people were kind of sick of Depp's whole thing, and it wasn't hard to convince them he was an rear end in a top hat.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

Is it a power of attorney thing that’s a holdover from the 07/08 “public meltdown?” That’s so hosed.

Pretty much.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

I think that's the hard thing for men to acknowledge - a lot of men who don't see themselves as bad guys have done the thing Aziz did. Therefore it must not be bad because if it is then they are just as guilty, and that can't possibly be true.

Yeah people talk about when metoo failed, but it never hit because tons of people rejected the self reflection that was being asked.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Davros1 posted:

They're talking about Michael Weatherly, who was harassing Dusku on the set of his TV show, after they brought her on. They ended up getting rid of Dusku, and keeping him on.

Yeah Dushku has dealt with this multiple times in her career. Isn't that neat?

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 4, 2021

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gotta dig it up now, for some reason I recall all three ladies in the photoshoot.

Portia was the only one not there for the interview. I remember that specifically because Shawkat had a couple of moments where she looked like she wanted to scream at what was going on and being the only other woman.

That interview really hit me and killed that show in my mind.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 11, 2021

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Jessica Walter passed away recently. I'll never forget that New York Times interview with the cast of Arrested Development. It was an indelible cultural moment. Just days after being accused sexual assault, the predator in the room is defended vigorously by fellow white male cast members. They effusively volunteer excuses for him, interrupting the crying survivor of his bullying while she tries to explain her trauma. Gaslights her, jokes that they've all abused her before, tells her it wasn't a big deal. The only other woman in the room is also the only dissenting voice, and she gets in only about a single line before being talked over herself.

I remember clicking into the interview innocuously as a fan of the show -- before the whole thing blew up -- and dropping my jaw at what transpired. If this was happening in a press interview, what the gently caress happens in backrooms?

That was a huge part that hit me as well. Their response and attitude wasn't some caught with their pants down moment, those were their opinions after clearly discussing it.

Really ruined the show and all those actors for me.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

No you see people come to this thread on this thriving rocking site to pretend to give a poo poo.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I mean the Chris D'elia reaction to snapchats being saved is a ton of comedians. That's been the industry for decades. And it's been talked about so nothing coming out about Norm is new. And it's cool if you didn't know people covered for the dude.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think the tweets are mainstream yet. I haven’t heard anyone talk about them besides here on sa

Yeah the Norm stuff has been around for a bit but it's never gotten an ignition. I first heard about it during the Barr and CK defense.