Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Egbert Souse posted:

To be fair, it probably had more to do with the politics of Swiss police extraditing a French citizen for the US. It would have set a precedent that could screw over someone when it actually matters. I'm sure plenty of the names did it because they think he's cleared, but I bet that's why at least Costa-Gavras and Claude Lanzmann signed it.

I think it's fair to say the vast majority of filmmakers didn't sign that petition because they're concerned about French/Swiss relations. Roman Polanski still gets standing ovations at industry shows and that whole incident was about him being picked up while he was on his way to be honored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Grouchio posted:

House of Cards to Resume Filming without Kevin Spacey

How the hell are they going to do that?
President Underwood would get assassinated off-screen, his vice president takes over, and suddenly this isn't House of Cards anymore.

His wife became president last season.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Timby posted:

What got me, I think, was that it was the same gaslighting bullshit that Dan Harmon pulled when Megan Ganz publicly said that he had made her life hell while working on Community; Harmon's initial response was along the lines of, "Well, I'll apologize, but you have to say precisely what I did," basically daring her to re-live the experience in exchange for him graciously deigning to deliver an apology. They latter reached something of a rapprochement--to an extent, anyway, with Ganz saying she forgave him--but it was still manipulative bullshit, and Cross ending that post with "#Rashomon" was some new level of bullshit.

Eh... from what I remember, Harmon wanted her to lead the conversation because he didn't want to make anything public that she might not want public, and he didn't want to put any words in her mouth. Dude hosed up along the way but it seemed like he was genuinely trying to respect her right to tell the story her way, and he never denied or tried to equivocate any of what she said. As far as public apologies for being a shithead go, his was one of the better ones.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sucrose posted:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around a motive for this crime. He’s going to lose his entire career, he going to possibly go to jail, he actively made things shittier for actual hate crime victims, he’s humiliated political allies.....and he risked all that just to try and guilt the producers of his show into giving him a raise? Or some sick desire for attention? It boggles the mind.

It was a stupid grift preying on people's political stances to try and turn sympathy into money and fame. You don't need to look terribly far to find tons of other people trying this poo poo, the only notable thing about it is he tried to rile up the left rather than the right.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bust Rodd posted:

Going to a Dave Chapelle comedy show and then writing down all of his jokes as though they are real ideas that he is genuinely promoting is a bad look

Dave Chappelle's jokes have consistently been from the same lovely perspective for years now. He's not being ironically transphobic (as if that were a defense), he just likes making fun of trans people. He's not making some grander point about defending sex offenders, he's just defending them.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AceOfFlames posted:

I dunno, they didn't seem to have any problem with Milo Yiannopolous until he defended pedofilia (and even then he still has his defenders).

Milo was always one of the alt-right's Convenient Minority Friends and was primarily useful for "not being like all those other ones." Kevin Spacey doesn't fill the same role, and if the alt-right does decide to defend him it'll be due to general knee-jerk "gently caress SJWs" wires crossing rather than anything about him in particular.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Why are half of the posts in this thread about a single stand up comedian who doesn't even work in Hollywood :confused:

He's been an actor, writer and director in Hollywood for over twenty years in both TV and movies, plenty of which are extremely well-known and have been critical and commercial successes.

How the gently caress do you get "doesn't even work in Hollywood" from his career?

Edit: oh god is this some kind of "he mostly works in New York City" pedantry?

also because it can't be said enough

DC Murderverse posted:

in short, gently caress Louis C.K.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Horrible Taste posted:

There's a nearly hour-long version of the audio recording on YouTube, where Heard mocks Depp for getting a security guard involved, trying to leave the room when she gets violent, admits to throwing things at him, repeatedly tries to downplay her hitting him and just generally comes across like an abusive, gas-lighting piece of poo poo. I'm not saying Depp wasn't also abusive, but it's pretty clear that Heard wasn't just a victim here.

And Heard was previously arrested for domestic abuse for hitting her then-girlfriend in public at an airport, the ex-girlfriend tried to claim it was just the arresting officer being a misogynistic homophobe, but it turned out the cop was an open lesbian.

Yeah, Depp isn't innocent in all this but it's pretty drat clear Amber Heard is one hell of an abuser in her own right.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Alan Smithee posted:

ngl thought it was gonna be about S Craig Zahler when I read the headline

Adam Donaghey was line producer on Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich, so there's a tenuous connection.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Skwirl posted:

Alice Cooper is a country club membership having, golf playing Republican.

That he's still better than Manson isn't praise for Cooper as much as it's a condemnation of Manson.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Whedon's reputation never relied on being edgy or provocative, he never played in the "art above all" crowd, and of the three superhero movies he directed only the first one was well-received, and that was almost a decade ago, with plenty of other directors stepping up since then doing the same thing better than he did. Nobody has any reason to take a risk on tying their financing to his brand at this point.

He's probably got a future ahead of him as a highly-sought-after script doctor, but the days of him putting his name on big projects are over.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

DrVenkman posted:

The only positive is that his audience are the exact people who are going to reject someone like him.

And this is why he's done. Disney replaced him, WB has essentially disowned him, HBO fired him, and his fanbase cares very much about what kind of person he is, which isn't the case with people like David O Russell or Bryan Singer. For better or worse, his personality has always been as much a part of his brand as his actual resume.

If he were a bit more anonymous or if Avengers 2 and Justice League had been better received he'd likely be able to weather this, but as it is he's never going to be able to get the Buffy crowd back and he's not dependable enough to be worth keeping on for bigger-budget stuff. His biggest, most reliable skill is writing quips, and he can be called on to do that quietly.

Electronico6 posted:

Seems like he departed of his own accord, due to the exhausting nature of the production because of covid.

He was right in the middle of a very public investigation by WB at the time. He didn't give up his shiny new HBO show over covid any more than disgraced politicians retire to spend more time with their families.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Vegetable posted:

Jessica Walter passed away recently. I'll never forget that New York Times interview with the cast of Arrested Development. It was an indelible cultural moment. Just days after being accused sexual assault, the predator in the room is defended vigorously by fellow white male cast members. They effusively volunteer excuses for him, interrupting the crying survivor of his bullying while she tries to explain her trauma. Gaslights her, jokes that they've all abused her before, tells her it wasn't a big deal. The only other woman in the room is also the only dissenting voice, and she gets in only about a single line before being talked over herself.

I remember clicking into the interview innocuously as a fan of the show -- before the whole thing blew up -- and dropping my jaw at what transpired. If this was happening in a press interview, what the gently caress happens in backrooms?

What always amazed me about that was the general attitude of "this woman who's been working non-stop in the industry since the early 1960s just doesn't understand what the industry is like."

You'd think someone who spent 60 years in film and TV would have some idea of what's normal and abnormal, and what's considered acceptable behavior and what isn't, but all these guys were treating her like a new PA who isn't used to set life yet.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

enki42 posted:

Oh my god I hate that article, you have to wade through months and months of "he made a catty comment about something" and I don't understand why they're putting all that trivial garbage next to actual genuine issues.

I mean, the site is literally called Vulture.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Shageletic posted:

Kubrick Movie Multiverse

The sad thing is Ready Player One already kind of did this.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

kaworu posted:

The real issue is that this is not an issue that requires subtlety, or exists in shades of grey. Ultimately, a guy taking out his dick in public simply is not funny - even if the person in question seems to think so. When you say "Well, dicks are floppy and funny and it doesn't bother me" reads like you really are making excuses, and stating that because it doesn't bother you it's not really all that bad at all.

Yes, you are qualifying that by saying it's not acceptable, but it doesn't really change the obvious intent of the original statement? It kinda reads like someone professing that they personally believe in the Replacement Theory because it makes sense to them, and then vociferously claiming that they really do abhor racism and inequality in all forms. It doesn't really add up and it comes across as a bit disingenuous.

Saying something isn't funny even if people think so doesn't make sense... that's not how humor works (if people are finding it funny then they're finding it funny), and people find questionable, offensive, or even potentially traumatizing things funny all the time for a wide variety of reasons.

The point is that it doesn't matter whether it's funny or not, because that's a stupid and arbitrary method of determining morality. What matters is the potential it has to traumatize someone, which is extremely high and therefore makes it terrible behavior regardless of how any individual person might react.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

pentyne posted:

In a conversation about sexual assault and harassment, why do you think this is useful?
Being able to go "just because my experience with [thing] is positive doesn't mean [thing] is okay because my experience and situation is not universal" is actually pretty drat important.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

kaworu posted:

There is a world of difference in maturity between thinking that to yourself, and loudly stating that you don't find this potentially traumatic and damaging type of behavior anything other than amusing and funny in a discussion about what is and is not inappropriate sexual behavior.

I mean, it was a pretty natural continuation of the "why do people do this" nature of the discussion that had been happening up to that point. He didn't wander into a conversation where someone was sharing a personally traumatic situation and said "well it never bothered ME," it was in direct response to someone saying "these people think they're being funny."

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

KitConstantine posted:

Or should Lewis C K have been able to get away with his "as a joke" defense?

Nobody said this was an acceptable defense. It is, in fact, the exact opposite of what's being said.

Are you even reading what you're replying to?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I don't see what's wrong with the app.

People recognize that it's creepy when celebrities gently caress their fans, and that power imbalances are part-and-parcel of celebrities interacting with most people, so it's not surprising they'd prefer an app where they can assume most people are on an even playing field. Being able to date without people going OH MY GOD I LOVED YOU IN MOVIE is probably a relief, and they're not taking advantage of anyone.

Unless I'm missing something about how it works?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The entire M.O. of these guys is they never antagonize people with any real pull. Like sure, Tomlin is a legend, but she's not going to be headlining cinemas for the next 30 years.

Normally that's the case, but David O. Russell seems to pick fights with just about everyone, up to and including A-listers.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Skwirl posted:

Has anyone done that? Like shown actual contrivance and got better?

Dan Harmon's the big one.

Davros1 posted:

I find a lot of comedians have an over-inflated sense of self-importance, like their jokes are the ones that are challenging society.

Every stand-up comedian wants to think they're secretly the next George Carlin. The issue is George Carlin actually had a mature and reasonable understanding of his place in the world and he understood that the benefits of having a major platform also came with equally large responsibilities.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Money didn't change Chappelle, he's just as myopic as he's ever been. It's just that people were generally more ignorant back around 2003 or so, and while a lot of people grew up, a lot didn't, and I think it took people by surprise which camp Chappelle fell into.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MLSM posted:

Dave Chappelle has been the best comedian since George Carlin died.

Maybe if you post this a third time it'll suddenly make his latest special not absolute garbage sprinkled with bigotry and boring old rich man whining.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Perestroika posted:

The worst part about Carlin is that he inadvertently convinced an entire generation of (generally male) comedians that they're rebellious modern philosophers speaking truth to power, no matter how lazy or mainstream their routines are.

If only they paid attention to the part where Carlin knew the drat difference between when he was just telling a silly joke and when he was treading into serious waters, and how he knew that having a platform comes with responsibilities and he respected that fact.

Every rear end in a top hat might want to think they're George Carlin, but most of them are really Andrew Dice Clay.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MLSM posted:

Maybe you should watch The Closer and come to your own conclusions?

I have watched it.

It is tremendously transphobic, and his "I had a minority friend, let's all get along" coda rings incredibly hollow.

It's also terrible comedy with incredibly hacky punchlines, because Chappelle is far outside his comfort zone topics and doesn't have the insight to make any deeper observations.

Believe it or not, it's entirely possible for someone to watch that whole thing and come away with a conclusion different from yours.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Adam Ragusea is my favorite, he's very wholesome, does research and interviews and properly credits and gives citation to information he uses, has experimental things as well as practical ones and educational videos, very well edited.

Only mark I have against him is he honest to God seems obsessed with his own weight and it is demoralizing as a fat person to see this completely normal looking somewhat muscular guy constantly talk about how he needs to lose a few pounds. It's fine if he feels insecure about himself but I wish he'd leave that pondering off camera.

As a fellow fat person, I think it's fine if he has his own body issues and is open about them. He's a personality-driven YouTuber doing food content that frequently addresses the science and nutrition behind said food, so addressing his own relationship with food makes perfect sense in that context, and I've never seen him be judgemental or critical of other people for their habits or choices.

I do sometimes wish he'd be a little more selective with his sponsorships, though.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Edit: ^^ Sorry, I was writing this while you posted that.

I just heard they didn't like each other personally, which seems more likely than "Kim Cattrall doesn't understand how fame works and got resentful."

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

pentyne posted:

If he's still alive in 5 years and not in prison there are absolutely people who will do serious business with Harvey Weinstein. Kevin Spacey will get a major studio role before long enough.

I doubt both of these only because neither of them have anything to offer any more. They serve Hollywood the best at this point by being the sacrificial lambs everyone remembers, pulling attention from everything else going on. Armie Hammer might worm his way back, Ansel Elgort seems to still be doing okay, and Jared Leto seems to be coasting on the Jimmy Page / Steven Tyler / Bill Wyman rock star "so openly a creep that it's just a personality trait rather than a problem" approach. But Weinstein and Spacey's falls were too big and too public, and they serve a useful purpose to everyone else by remaining fallen.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

There are undoubtedly actresses who have had their careers sidelined by genuinely being hard to work with on a professional level (it's not like soaring egos and debilitating drug additions are exclusive to men). However:

1) outside of inner Hollywood circles it's hard to know who that actually applies to versus who got painted with that brush for daring to stand up for themselves, and

2) given the sheer prevalence of abuse and harassment in Hollywood casting it wouldn't be surprising for them to also have sexual abuse horror stories

so trying to figure out who's who just winds up leading to people making fairly gross assumptions about people and situations they know very little about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

My take on the Depp / Heard situation, because obviously everyone needs it, is that they're likely both inclined to abuse and they managed to bring out the worst in each other. There's plenty out there to suggest both of them gave as much as they got, and not just in defense or as a reaction. And it feels like there's certain people who really need one side or the other to be The Clear-Cut Bad Guy for ideological reasons, when the actual case seems far messier than that.