Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FireWorksWell posted:

Has anything come up in regards to Fiona's guardianship and Carl's whole heroin thing from Season 5?

Or has there even been mention of her being their guardian past like, season 4?

Nothing major, no. I wanna say she's still got guardianship even after she went to jail? But Francis still has parental rights too and he's a saint now so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Man, I can't wait for the wacky plotlines they'll derive from giving Liam the power to resurrect the dead!

Now they can bring Monica back! Just what everyone wanted!

edit: oh yeah, that Kevin photoshop is the worst I've ever seen

Still love this show tho

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 23, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just caught up on this season last night. Hasn't hit any super highs or lows for me yet, but it's a solid as hell ride so far and I'm appreciating them sticking to a bit of a change to the status quo w/r/t Frank and Fiona, and to a lesser extent Lip.

I doubt it'll happen, but I kind of hope Francis in some form sticks around. Macy is hilarious as the eternal shitlord gently caress up, but it's been seven seasons and imo there's a whole new world of comedy to mine from Frank being a semi-decent man and father for a while.

Not really fond of Jessica Szohr in general, always thought she was a pretty one actress since Gossip Girl, but she hasn't been terrible and the character itself is a fun addition.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Really enjoying this season so far.

Things I like:
Fiona - it's nice to see her doing well finally. The conflict w/ Ian re: the church should be interesting and a good change of pace from her fights with Lip like, every season.
Kev - :allears: There's nothing I don't like about Kev, his cowboy outfit this episode was just amazing.
Lip - I've really enjoyed seeing him trying to be a better person, realizing he wants a family, etc. With Brad off the wagon too I get the feeling he's gonna slip up at some point but I've been on team Lip since day 1 and hope he finds a good new sponsor.
Frank - Francis is just amazing and having him be a sober scammer is another good change of pace, there's only so much you can write about him being in the gutter and miraculously not dying.

Things I don't care much about one way or another:
Carl/Ian - their plots have been fine so far but nothing great. This episode set up some good places for both of their season arcs to go, though, so that's good.
Debbie - :shrug: she's gotten less actively bad since getting dumped but that isn't saying much.

Things I don't like:
Svetlana - don't care, get her out
Not enough Fi-V interaction - enough said :colbert:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Carl being an unhinged vigilante setting up illegal, dangerous traps and Black Snake Moaning a guy made me think about how the authors seem to decide what's harrowing drama and what's wacky hijinks pretty randomly. In a close parallel universe, Ian kidnapping the baby was a fun time while learning disabled Chuckie falling in with white power prison gangs was that season's emotional climax.

Carl being the family's go-to guy for selling the meth, and that being presented as wacky hijinks, really undercuts the drama of his leaving the gang two seasons ago.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Am I wrong for getting mad at v and kev for trying to not go with what svetlana wants? Like they are pants on head retarded running the bar. Let Svet do her thing and just keep her in check. She's clearly smarter then you. I mean I guess then there would be no drama but it's a bit infuriating at times.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

Am I wrong for getting mad at v and kev for trying to not go with what svetlana wants? Like they are pants on head retarded running the bar. Let Svet do her thing and just keep her in check. She's clearly smarter then you. I mean I guess then there would be no drama but it's a bit infuriating at times.

If svetlana hadn't hosed them out of ownership I'd agree, but she got them to sign away the bar under the guise of parental papers (or whatever the term is) iirc. Granted, that doesn't make them less dumb, but I wouldn't exactly be happy with her running the show regardless of how much smarter she was if I were in their position.

Really though I wish they'd have just kept Svetlana in jail.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
This show is like The Simpsons. Everyone learns from their crazy experiences unless they need to be back to square one to make sense of whatever fly-by-night storyline is running this episode and/or season. But unlike The Simpsons, who could possibly loving care? The entire cast is clearly on the verge of laughter at any given moment, and as long as they're having fun making this white trash soap opera, I'll keep having fun watching it.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Things I don't like:
Svetlana - don't care, get her out

GobiasIndustries posted:

Really though I wish they'd have just kept Svetlana in jail.

Nyet, comrades. Think of the cleavage.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I really like how the tone of this season is much lighter overall.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How did Debbie wind up in Missouri? Was that part of her and hair guy's rolling adventure?

Also that Ho Hos gag had my eyes rolling out of my skull

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 11, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Fiona sucks so much

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

We Know Catheters posted:

Fiona sucks so much

I don't think so. Ian is more right, but she's not being a complete monster about the church. I totally understand her defensiveness. Plus she saved the (flesh-eating) dogge :3:

Lip's plot keeps being the strongest this season, still don't care about Debbie at all. I hope Frank doesn't go off the deep end now that he's lost his job, it's been nice seeing him conniving but a part of society.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

We Know Catheters posted:

Fiona sucks so much

This is one of those things where you can kinda see where Fiona is coming from, even if she's being terribly Gallagher-esque about it; she's busting her rear end trying to make the apartment building work and doing her best to claw her way outta poverty for the family (and mostly herself). A family member asking you to jeopardize something you've built over time to help a "bunch of strangers" is a difficult position to be placed in and while I could see early seasons Fiona rallying to stick together for the neighborhood, modern Fiona's becoming more and more like Frank in her selfish pursuits, just with different methods and outcomes.

I've liked the creeping specter of gentrification that's been slowly building over the past three or so seasons and Fiona's been quietly trading in her Southside cred for a bite at the apple for a while now.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Did I miss the scene when Kev comes back and dominates V ?

VVV ah, cool thanks. Just felt weird there was a bit of a build up to it, then nothing. Looking forward to it next week. Kev's been a blast this season. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 11, 2017

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kragger99 posted:

Did I miss the scene when Kev comes back and dominates V ?

I think he's going to try it next week, judging from the promos.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Kev is the best dude on tv. But he's such a puppy dog he's never gonna pull it off.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nevvy Z posted:

Kev is the best dude on tv. But he's such a puppy dog he's never gonna pull it off.

I hope he miraculously does pull it off. Svetlana has been my MVP every season from her first, but I am so tired of the throuple stuff please give her something else to do or return her to hilarious person we only see sometimes.

Loving this season so far, Frank especially. They'll probably have him crash and burn before the season's out, but I'm not gonna lie I would dig it if he just got another job and we see where this can take us next season. As always Ian is the low point, but he has been since s1 so it's nbd.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol Blagojevich Parking

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I say this every week I think but :allears: kev

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Vanderdeath posted:

This is one of those things where you can kinda see where Fiona is coming from, even if she's being terribly Gallagher-esque about it; she's busting her rear end trying to make the apartment building work and doing her best to claw her way outta poverty for the family (and mostly herself). A family member asking you to jeopardize something you've built over time to help a "bunch of strangers" is a difficult position to be placed in and while I could see early seasons Fiona rallying to stick together for the neighborhood, modern Fiona's becoming more and more like Frank in her selfish pursuits, just with different methods and outcomes.

I've liked the creeping specter of gentrification that's been slowly building over the past three or so seasons and Fiona's been quietly trading in her Southside cred for a bite at the apple for a while now.

I like Fiona. The whole gentrification plot-line is actually pretty interesting. It's funny because that one guy HATES FIONA for her position, while I was struggling to understand Ian loving over his sister (once he knew the stakes).

I also had a good laugh at the Private school using Carl for all their advertising etc. and newer "urbaner" Carl is a pretty funny place to go with it.

I was pretty irritated at V for being all horny with Svetlana against the most ridiculous odds, (I kind of find these people WAY WAY TOO horny in an irritating way) but it redeemed itself a bit when V confessed that what she really wanted was to be dominated because thinking of Kevin trying to accomplish that made me laugh without any scenes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Early thoughts (beyond my weekly Kev is great post):

Lip :smith: that had to have been the shittiest thing in the world for him to hear (the jail scene) and really hit me hard
Ian :ohdear: I don't know if he's off his meds or has some illness or what, but something with him ain't right.
Debbie's plot finally made me laugh!
Frank is back to being Frank it seems, which is too bad because I really liked him turning a new leaf.
Dunno what to say about Carl's plot at all, he's got his money and possibly now a crazy rich junkie girlfriend?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Kevin is too pure for this world.

I hope Ian isn't going to kill himself or do something incredibly harmful that'll wind up getting himself hurt because it feels that way. :ohdear:

Also, Lip and Youens' story is difficult to watch, especially if you've ever seen a friend or family member struggle with addiction. It's probably been the strongest storyline they've had for Lip yet.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Not a huge fan of Frank going back to Frank tbh, I liked the Francis character. Glad that Lip is getting a new sponsor, she seems like a good next step for him in recovery. Also appreciated literally everyone in the family calling out Fiona on being complicated :lol:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

GobiasIndustries posted:

Not a huge fan of Frank going back to Frank tbh, I liked the Francis character. Glad that Lip is getting a new sponsor, she seems like a good next step for him in recovery. Also appreciated literally everyone in the family calling out Fiona on being complicated :lol:

He's not really though. Frank was an awful, irredeemable abusive drunk - New Frank has moved past his good boy stick with the system phase, realised once more that the system is broken, and has shifted back to the wrong side of the tracks; but there is still a fundamental change to his character. Look at his interactions with Liam and his family/friends. He's getting his income illegally; but he's not passed out drunk or high at the end of each day, or treating everyone around him like garbage. He has a work ethic now. He's putting the same amount of effort into his new smuggling business as he was as the manager of the garden department. He carried a woman for 7 miles. Old Frank would never have done that.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

He's not really though. Frank was an awful, irredeemable abusive drunk - New Frank has moved past his good boy stick with the system phase, realised once more that the system is broken, and has shifted back to the wrong side of the tracks; but there is still a fundamental change to his character. Look at his interactions with Liam and his family/friends. He's getting his income illegally; but he's not passed out drunk or high at the end of each day, or treating everyone around him like garbage. He has a work ethic now. He's putting the same amount of effort into his new smuggling business as he was as the manager of the garden department. He carried a woman for 7 miles. Old Frank would never have done that.

Yeah, this is true. I should probably rewatch his scenes, much like the rest of his family I don't really give Frank much of a leash when it comes to slipping back into Old Frank habits. I was real happy when he had a legit job and was doing well :smith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gay Chicagoan DESTROYS Homo-Bashing Pastor With Scripture!!! (LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

How long until Ian is loving the douchepastor guy? 10 minutes into the next episode?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did Emmy Rossum always have abs? Because she definitely did in this episode.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t know but it was interesting to learn that she directed the episode

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
She directed at least one other episode (don't remember which one and possibly more than one) but I remember it being real good. Good for her on that front.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

GobiasIndustries posted:

She directed at least one other episode (don't remember which one

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5602264/
https://tv.avclub.com/emmy-rossum-s-directorial-debut-is-a-season-high-for-sh-1798189652

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
God drat Frank :stare:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
carl done hosed up

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We already had two seasons of psycho girlfriend plots and they were far more nuanced (by Shameless standards) than this. Lip has the only good story this season after years of being used poorly by the writers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Well I guess after a good 7~ episodes we're back to Frank the bum. I know nothing lasts in this show but drat they could have gotten a couple seasons out of Frank being the average citizen.

Nice to see that Fiona is getting herself into a relation that surely won't lead to any drama...<cough>.

Lip dealing with Yuens is a good storyline. Lip dealing with his ex-gf and her baby daddy; not so much. I guess now that he hosed things up with Levy Tran we won't be seeing her anymore.

Other than Lip it doesn't seem like this season has managed to keep a single plot line going longer than a few episodes which makes it feel kind of pointless. Was this always just a slice of life show? Felt like previous seasons at least had some theme going on. Feels like every week is just a new wacky adventure for each character with the exception of Lip. I guess Ian has had a consistent story in wanting to get back with his ex but still managed to have a new story each week.

I really want to know what convoluted reasoning they're going to come up with for having Fiona get sued for a builder falling off her building.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 8, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

Lip dealing with Yuens is a good storyline. Lip dealing with his ex-gf and her baby daddy; not so much. I guess now that he hosed things up with Levy Tran we won't be seeing her anymore.

They're setting up a love triangle and also she works in close proximity with him. We'll be seeing her plenty.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're setting up a love triangle and also she works in close proximity with him. We'll be seeing her plenty.

She's not listed on appearing in any more episodes according to IMDB.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

She's not listed on appearing in any more episodes according to IMDB.

IMDB casting lists are not an exact science.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Ex-gf baby daddy needs to go. He's a terrible actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Ex-gf baby daddy needs to go. He's a terrible actor.

Don't disparage Tom Hanks' other son who somehow doesn't even have a Wikipedia page

• Locked thread