Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Bring back the jalapeño McDouble you bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The McRib is like that BBQ hoagie in high school but somehow worse.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Chinatown posted:

ive never eaten one

should i eat one

Get you a combo and you can get another for a buck

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sure I'll have a McRib, but to wash it down I'll need a Barq's root beer

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I’ve never had a McRib

How much are they?

Epic Tane
Jan 15, 2017

by zen death robot

maskenfreiheit posted:

I’ve never had a McRib

How much are they?

$420.69

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Epic Tane posted:

Why is this news, they do this every loving year and it's not even that good

Most news items are based on press releases, and McDonalds is a major advertiser.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

Bring back the jalapeño McDouble you bastards

that was the best thing they ever made... :smith:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Breakfast Feud posted:

It's like this but more complicated. McD's has a big handle on pork suppliers too (I don't know if futures or they actually own farms or what) but having low pork prices negatively effects their company.

for what reason. Isn't the mcrib like the only thing they make with pork

nm apparently i forget what ham and bacon comes from

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
here's the article about the mcrib as arbitrage: https://www.theawl.com/2011/11/a-conspiracy-of-hogs-the-mcrib-as-arbitrage/

it's pretty interesting but the guy freely admits that he's just having fun with correlations, and that there are other explanations for the data that make just as much sense

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

mcrib with szechuan sauce -> cosmic brain

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

proof of concept posted:

here's the article about the mcrib as arbitrage: https://www.theawl.com/2011/11/a-conspiracy-of-hogs-the-mcrib-as-arbitrage/

it's pretty interesting but the guy freely admits that he's just having fun with correlations, and that there are other explanations for the data that make just as much sense

That seems like an awful lot of words to suggest that they tend to sell the McRib when pork is cheap. I legit thought that was the common and even officially recognized explanation, didn't realize it was a conspiracy theory.

Though it does sort of raise the question on why there aren't more pork fast food products in general, breakfast sausages and bacon as a topping are basically it. Feels like there could be an arbies for ham that would do well.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

ArbitraryC posted:

Though it does sort of raise the question on why there aren't more pork fast food products in general, breakfast sausages and bacon as a topping are basically it. Feels like there could be an arbies for ham that would do well.

Probably has to do with the price

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

myDad posted:

And/or stricter sanitation and cooking regulations

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

myDad posted:

Cheap cuts of pork are only marginally more expensive than chicken tho. If you're buying meat on a budget porkbutt and whole chickens are generally your best bet outside of sales, beef is on a whole nother tier even when it's cheap. yet you don't see fast food joints shirking beef, it's basically the staple.

e: I guess that sort of means that maybe the chains can cut a better deal for poultry or beef on a broad scale it's just sort of curious as to why.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 6, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hardee's has a hot ham and cheese sandwich, I believe.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

*looks at local menu of gourmet burgers and barista-made coffee*

Where's my pressed pork sludgewich at, Maccas?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The other thing to keep in mind is that raw pork goes bad *really* fast, even under refrigeration.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Not in Canada?

What...?

WHAT!?!?!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dolphin posted:

Wake me up when the McVeal is released

Remember when arbys had venison and every place that had them sold out within an hour

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Remember when arbys had venison and every place that had them sold out within an hour

Well yeah venison is loving delicious

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

Cheap cuts of pork are only marginally more expensive than chicken tho. If you're buying meat on a budget porkbutt and whole chickens are generally your best bet outside of sales, beef is on a whole nother tier even when it's cheap. yet you don't see fast food joints shirking beef, it's basically the staple.

e: I guess that sort of means that maybe the chains can cut a better deal for poultry or beef on a broad scale it's just sort of curious as to why.

I think you nailed it. When you're dealing with an economy of scale like McD's then this is probably the deciding factor.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
how often do they do McRib? is it every year at the same time like dollar sodas, or is it like every other year? I don't buy McRib so I dont know the rotation

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

how often do they do McRib? is it every year at the same time like dollar sodas, or is it like every other year? I don't buy McRib so I dont know the rotation

I feel like it’s been like 2-3 years just based on when I was living near a McDonald’s last

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

That seems like an awful lot of words to suggest that they tend to sell the McRib when pork is cheap. I legit thought that was the common and even officially recognized explanation, didn't realize it was a conspiracy theory.

Because in the US there's a lot of people that don't eat pork

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

12 Mcribs
I ate them!
12 Mcribs ate I
In the goonmobile
With wrappers piled high
12 Mcribs ate i

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The first and only time I tried it I ended up throwing it out and I make a point of never wasting food

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The first and only time I tried it I ended up throwing it out and I make a point of never wasting food

What sort of pussy Polack are you? Eat the pig.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Sorry man, I tried a joke like this earlier. 2/10

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Sorry man, I tried a joke like this earlier. 2/10

Yours was funny cause it was an obvious parody of goons who claim dumb hyperbolic poo poo that doesn't happen

I think his might be real

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Hong Kong maccas seems to always have those McRib patties available.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
Sometimes I wonder what kind of meat is used in the mcrib, then I quickly dismiss the idea as I eat it.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

As an effete nerd, I
Don't use my word; it sickens me.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I to am a feet nerd

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

As an effete nerd, I just wanted to drop in and say that last time I ate at McDonalds I spent the next six hours on the toilet !! I can’t believe real people eat the McRib

The notoriously fragile goon bowel strikes again.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Driving past a taco Bell was a mistake. The smell of the over spiced beans immediately caused my pants to fly off and my rear end erupted, coating myself and the entire interior of my car with a thin oily sheen of filth.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I can't wait to eat the Burger King knockoff, the "Angry WhopRib"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

*jay-z laugh* mcrib is back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Big Beef City posted:

Driving past a taco Bell was a mistake. The smell of the over spiced beans immediately caused my pants to fly off and my rear end erupted, coating myself and the entire interior of my car with a thin oily sheen of filth.

• Locked thread