Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

A relatively new game, Doki Doki Literature Club! was released on September 22nd earlier this year, and is the first release of the Team Salvato group. One Dan Salvato seeming to do just about everything except for the actual game's art. The game itself hit a meme-like popularity, from what I've seen, and is not like usual VNs, from what I've heard. To be quite honest, I really don't know much about this game, aside from it being a VN and apparently having surprise horror elements in it. Of course, it's quite clearly listed as a "Psychological Horror" game on Steam, and the trailer itself even warns the weak of heart shouldn't play the game, so I guess it's not much of a surprise. And, as you can tell, this will be a blind LP, for the most part. But more on that later.

Why Doki Doki Literature Club!?

Honestly, I'm just curious, really. This game had a small explosion of popularity for a bit, and I want to know why. And while I'm at it, I might as well make an LP out of it, since there are probably some twists and turns that I won't see coming. That, and I want to tackle a VN for an LP, and this game seems as good as any to start with, so why not?

About the LP:

This will be a live, blind LP. I do know of one scene, which I will only say is THAT scene. Anyone who has played it or seen an LP probably knows what I mean by "THAT scene". But aside from THAT scene, I really don't know much else except for, as I mentioned, the game having some horror/disturbing elements to it. And I should note I won't be reading the dialogue out loud, so no need to worry if that bothers you.

As a warning, since it came up in the Sandcastle thread, I WILL be talking during cutscenes, just so people know if that kind of thing bothers them.

Of course, as a VN the entire thing is essentially a cutscene, so that's pretty unavoidable.

Schedule:

As usual, there's no specific schedule. I'll simply get to the LP when I'm able to. Hopefully at least two or three videos a week.

Spoilers?:

Since the game isn't even two months old yet, please hide any major spoilers if you mention them; both for me and anyone else in the thread that doesn't know what lies ahead with the game.

LET'S...READ BOOKS, PROBABLY:
Part 1 - Being Forced Into The Literature Club
Part 2 - Poetry Slam
Part 3 - Catfights and Cookies
Part 4 - Festival Announcement
Part 5 - Sayori's Problems
Part 6 - Baking With Natsuki
Part 7 - Being Forced Into The Literature Club
Part 8 - The Fight
Part 9 - Yuri's Problems
Part 10 - Just Monika
Part 11 - Natsuki's Path
Part 12 - Shelf Shenanigans
Part 13 - Natsuki's Glitches
Part 14 - The End. Again.
Part 15 - Sayori's Path
Part 16 - Sayori's Clumsiness
Part 17 - The Golden Ending

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Reserving this post, just in case.

The LP will start proper sometime tomorrow.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I hope the doki doki lit club reads good literature

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

why would you post this with no content, I'm not sure I understand

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Ground floor.

:allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can't wait.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Roar posted:

Ground floor.

:allears:

It's about time someone LP'd this.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
This should be fun to observe.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Of course, it's quite clearly listed as a "Psychological Horror" game on Steam,

much like all anime,

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
:munch:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Alright got the first episode done. Editing took longer than expected.

Part 1 - Being Forced Into The Literature Club

Alright, so, not too much to say right now. My assumption was correct and things are basically like a typical Visual Novel so far. Though I admit I kept expecting something really hosed up to happen at any moment. I'm not sure how much of this game is parodying typical VNs and how much is sincere. I can't help but notice each girl is just exceedingly like a stereotypical anime girl. The Tsundere, the hyperactive goof, the shy one, and...Monika. As I said in the video, I expect something with the poems, like one of the girls will hint at some awful trauma that happened to them or something. And so far, as I mention, Yuri's probably my favorite since she at least shares similar tastes with her liking horror. My least favorite is the tiny Tsundere girl, since Tsundere characters never fail to annoy me.

And also, should I keep the auto-scroll on? It just feels like it takes too drat long sometimes, even though it's at the highest speed. I know it kind of bothered me, especially at the start.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 8, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
This is one of the problems with this game. The intro is really boring and generic for several reasons, but it goes on for a bit too long. However, you can’t really skip over any of it, because it will be important later on.

If you can read with auto-scroll on, that’s fine, but you need to turn it off for the poems due to a bug. It will skip the poems before you can read them, and they are the best part of the game. Switch it off when you first start showing off your poems.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Double Punctuation posted:

If you can read with auto-scroll on, that’s fine, but you need to turn it off for the poems due to a bug. It will skip the poems before you can read them, and they are the best part of the game. Switch it off when you first start showing off your poems.
I was more concerned the auto-scroll is just too drat slow, it seems like it lingers on text boxes for a long time, too long. And noted, I'll make sure to remember to turn it off for the poems, thanks for that.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Like I said in the last thread, Literature Club's a hell of a ride, but it's worth it.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

:getin:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The auto scroll is reversed. It's a measurement of the time it'll be till the next line, meaning you have it at max.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Cyouni posted:

The auto scroll is reversed. It's a measurement of the time it'll be till the next line, meaning you have it at max.
Well, poo poo. Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix that for next time.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This is going to be magical.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Oh boy, a Doki Doki Literature Club LP. This is going to be a treat. :allears:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - Poetry Slam

Well, things are still going a bit slowly. I was hoping that one of the poems would have something messed up in it, like one of the girls would write down a poem that alludes to something hosed up in their life or something. Heck, maybe Yuri or Monika did that, but I just didn't catch on. I'm just expecting any second now for something freaky to happen and take me by surprise. I was thinking perhaps that Ms. Pink Tsundere's poem is alluding to some sort of self-esteem issues going on with her, or maybe I'm looking too deep into things. But alas, for now all I can do is banter and make fun of the girls like a big tough guy. I'm at least hoping what started at the end of the video will turn into something big, but I'm more expecting it to just be a silly thing that'll pass.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What is it about these kind of games and utterly unlikable male main characters? Not just the blandness you're supposed to self project onto, if you are sad enough, but whatever personality there is is always so terrible.

First poem was clearly rushed together, and is probably covered with bread crumbs and spilled coffee.
Second poem was done by someone who thinks they are much more talented and clever than they actually are.
Third poem was pretentious and trying way too hard to appear deep.
Fourth poem was about peeping? I don't want to know.

Of course my own poetry wouldn't be good enough to even be let in through the door to that place. :v:

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Poil posted:

What is it about these kind of games and utterly unlikable male main characters? Not just the blandness you're supposed to self project onto, if you are sad enough, but whatever personality there is is always so terrible.

Fulfilling the male geek audience's fantasy of being "cool and confident" (i.e. an rear end in a top hat)? Writers' unexamined conceptions of what an "ideal man" that all the girls would be into is like?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Fulfilling the male geek audience's fantasy of being "cool and confident" (i.e. an rear end in a top hat)? Writers' unexamined conceptions of what an "ideal man" that all the girls would be into is like?
That also explains why they always seem like they don't actually know anything about girls that could be learned even by just spending five minutes talking one in real life too.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Poil posted:

Well clearly they're trying to match the personality of the person playing. But really, when it came to the poems, I really was trying to look for something deeper, especially with Yuri and Monika's. If there was anything like that, it flew over my head.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Which is funny because at least in this case, Saitama doesn't fulfill any of those roles. Like I feel like I'd be a bigger hit with the ladies than this loser. I especially found his line where he was like "Oh man, what am I gonna do surrounded by all these pretty girls?!?!" to be especially hilarious and kinda pathetic.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Another possibility is that VN writers think making male VN protagonists dimestore horndog jerks, yet still pathetic in some way (lack of real assertiveness, awkwardness with social contact etc.), makes them more relatable by way of making them flawed. Or it's the writer themself projecting their own frustrations, insecurities, and repressed antisocial feelings onto the protagonist. Or it's something completely different. There's many possible factors.

With regards to DDLC specifically, though, I can't really say what's in play (then again, barring the writers opening up about their writing process, one can only probe so far). The protagonist is certainly a weak link in the writing, that's for sure. However, we aren't that far in the game; perhaps the protagonist is the way he is so there can be a basis for development later on. (Then again, that's not very common in this genre.)

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Before I link the next video, I have to apologize that there is a black-screen for about twenty seconds at one point. I don't know how it happened, and I can't fix it. And, WITH MAJOR GAME SPOILERS AHEAD, I've reached the point in the game where I can't start a brand new game, as far as I can tell, so I can't re-record the lost part. My only advice is fill in the blanks with another video if you don't know what happens. I feel really awful this happened, and I'm so, so far ahead of this point that I'd have to fake a live commentary and reactions, and I would really rather not do that.

Part 3 - Catfights and Cookies

I'm not going to put spoilers in these little paragraphs anymore, as I'll assume you'll watch the video before reading it, so fair warning on that. Not too much happens, once more, but we get a disturbing insight to Sayori, or at least a hint of something, and Yuri also goes out of her way to show a darker side. Seems like things are starting to veer into darker territories, or maybe I'm just looking too deep into things. Hopefully, major poo poo will go down soon. And I must say, Yuri's personality is starting to grate on me, with her apologizing and acting so bashful all the God drat time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

My only advice is fill in the blanks with another video if you don't know what happens.
Can do. :11tea:

I can't help but imagining that as they sit there drinking tea and eating chocolate, without sharing, while reading so close together the rest of the girls are just standing there holding their poems in the other side of the room looking at them with blank eyes wondering what the gently caress.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

And I must say, Yuri's personality is starting to grate on me, with her apologizing and acting so bashful all the God drat time.

I mean, it's better than Natsuki at least. The whole tsundere schtick never fails to irritate me, and the game throwing in an occasional wink and a nudge towards the fact that it's a common archetype doesn't really help much. It's this thing that generic romance/harem anime do these days where they try to draw attention to the fanservice and cliches and make a joke out of it as if that automatically makes it okay to indulge in them. It ends up just being annoying.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Augus posted:

I mean, it's better than Natsuki at least. The whole tsundere schtick never fails to irritate me, and the game throwing in an occasional wink and a nudge towards the fact that it's a common archetype doesn't really help much. It's this thing that generic romance/harem anime do these days where they try to draw attention to the fanservice and cliches and make a joke out of it as if that automatically makes it okay to indulge in them. It ends up just being annoying.
Yeah, Natsuki is definitely worse. I too strongly dislike Tsundere characters pretty much without fail. On the other hand though, Yuri has, so far, gotten more screentime than Natsuki, so that's why she's grating on me a bit more.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 4 - Festival Announcement

Good lord that Yuri chocolate scene was a pain in the rear end to sit through. Do Visual Novels usually have scenes like that just...drag for so long with so little happening? Again, this is kind of why I dislike Yuro more than Natsuki. Natsuki has the worse personalities of the two, but Yuri has far more spotlight to show off her annoying tendencies. Either way, there's a festival coming up, and something tells me it'll either not happen, or something awful will happen as a result of it. I guess we'll just have to find out...

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This is your own fault dude, you're picking all the Yuri words.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Natsuki is best girl, I don't know what y'all are about. :colbert:

It's perhaps worth pointing out that this game is really laying it on thick at the start... which is not to say that there aren't visual novels like this or that the stereotypes aren't there, but those aren't necessarily the VNs considered to be the best.
This game is being about as subtle as a sledgehammer with the dating sim tropes at the moment because, well, it wants to make it clear to you what it's about and that everything is cute and cuddly and you get to write poems for cute girls oh gosh :sparkles:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I don't mind tsunderes too much as long as they aren't one dimensional stock character: tsundere with that as their only one defining character trait. That's just annoying.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

"Might as well let Saitama lower everyone's standards a little before I have to do it." Yes, yes she is.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Also this. :v:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Oh, does that actually determine who I hang out with each day? For some reason I just assumed it was always Yuri, I guess. Sadly it's too late, I've recorded several episodes ahead of this one so I can't change it.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's perhaps worth pointing out that this game is really laying it on thick at the start... which is not to say that there aren't visual novels like this or that the stereotypes aren't there, but those aren't necessarily the VNs considered to be the best.
This game is being about as subtle as a sledgehammer with the dating sim tropes at the moment because, well, it wants to make it clear to you what it's about and that everything is cute and cuddly and you get to write poems for cute girls oh gosh :sparkles:
Maybe if she didn't need dental work like a dork, perhaps.

Well, I mean that's what I assumed, but I just don't know how much of the cliches are really what VNs are like, or how much of it is just this game mocking VNs. But as I said above, I have gotten further into the game, so I know how things are gonna get.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, your choice of poem words decides whose scenes you get the next day. But it's okay, don't worry about picking the "wrong" ones.

As for what VNs are like... well, "visual novel" is a genre. They're not all alike. Those stereotypes didn't come from nowhere, but it's like comparing Dishonored to Wolfenstein or something; both FPSs, but quite different. Can either one be said to be "what FPSs are like"? More dating-sim-y visual novels can be a bit like that, yeah. Maybe not quite to that extent or that fast - the good ones have more story going than that. Things are a bit... compressed in Doki Doki Literature Club.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Does picking words none of the girls like lead to Monika scenes? What if there's a tie? Actually DO worry at least a little about picking words because I can't take any more intimate reading crap. :v:

The last VN I read/played was Asphyxia and it was pretty different from this. Overall I really enjoyed it but I get why someone wouldn't. Very :smith:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Oh, does that actually determine who I hang out with each day? For some reason I just assumed it was always Yuri, I guess. Sadly it's too late, I've recorded several episodes ahead of this one so I can't change it.

The game kinda calls this out in the first poem section (pick words you think club members will like and something special will happen). You can tell by which of the girls jumps up when you pick a word - note that Yuri was pretty ecstatic about all the depressing words you picked.

the cutesy words at the end of the last video invoked Natsuki. Have fun!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Monika is pretty much the hint machine. She will tell you what girl likes your poem and why. It can take some trial and error to pick the right words, (minor mechanical spoiler) and you will get punished for trying to get a perfect score. The poem you write also affects the poems you receive; you have to play through multiple times to see them all.

There are “but thou must”-style events (one is coming up shortly, but it’s mostly there for some flavor text and to make you look like an idiot), and you can get locked into certain scenes due to more than the most recent poem you made, but the poem is the main deciding factor for most scenes.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The game kinda calls this out in the first poem section (pick words you think club members will like and something special will happen). You can tell by which of the girls jumps up when you pick a word - note that Yuri was pretty ecstatic about all the depressing words you picked.
I knew she liked it, I just wasn't aware this meant that I'd only get to talk to Yuri, I suppose. I really should've seen this coming, honestly.

Double Punctuation posted:

The poem you write also affects the poems you receive; you have to play through multiple times to see them all.
This raises a question, should I do multiple playthroughs for the LP, or is it not worth it and I should stick with just this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

This raises a question, should I do multiple playthroughs for the LP, or is it not worth it and I should stick with just this one?

Worry about this when we get to the end of the game, not before.

• Locked thread