Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah this is my first time seeing that scene with the chocolates. Saitama might be that kinda guy but Josuke certainly isn't! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Well, I mean that's what I assumed, but I just don't know how much of the cliches are really what VNs are like, or how much of it is just this game mocking VNs. But as I said above, I have gotten further into the game, so I know how things are gonna get.

It's...sort of like a hyper compressed version of a dating sim. Even then, usually you get more time to know them and the background, and things are more spaced out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The game's fairly short, so there really isn't time to space things out. I think it's laying it on a little thick so far, but that's honestly the worst thing I have to say about the game, and that's pretty good by my standards.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 5 - Sayori's Problems

Finally, things start ti get more interesting. Slowly, at first, but still. Seems like Sayori isn't quite as happy as she puts on, and is something I probably should've seen coming. It always hits extra hard when the fun, bubbly characters turn out to be not-so-happy. And by God, Yuri and Natsuki are thirsty as gently caress, they really went all out during that decision part near the end, and for some reason it really bothered me. And finally, a good old long stretch of Natsuki stuff coming up soon with baking. I have the slight theory that there's something going on between Natsuki and her bad. I dunno if he's outright abusive, or if things are just strained, but I have the feeling in my gut that something is going on there...

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say these poor girls have some issues.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I have no idea what you could possibly mean.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I pick this person.
No you can't.
But what about this option then?
No you can't.
I don't want to pick either of those two.
But thou must.

That aside, it would probably make the most sense to help miss bashful with the decorations. Of course that would probably involve sitting right next to her writing on the same piece of paper or something.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I mean yeah, it would, but I wanted to avoid more Yuri-time here, and that's basically the only reason I went with Natsuki instead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't get the wrong idea. I'm not blaming you for your choice and would have done the same. Baka. :v:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say these poor girls have some issues.

Nah, they're fine. :3:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Roar posted:

Nah, they're fine. :3:

Plot twist: Saitama's the one making it weird.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Plot twist: Saitama's the one making it weird.

That's the problem with sending a B-Lister.

If King, THE WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN, was here, then things would be pretty different.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Poil posted:

Don't get the wrong idea. I'm not blaming you for your choice and would have done the same. Baka. :v:
Well good, it's not like I made my choice to satisfy you or anything, b-baka...

chiasaur11 posted:

That's the problem with sending a B-Lister.

If King, THE WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN, was here, then things would be pretty different.
gently caress, you're right. His King's Engine would've been enough to pacify Sayori and give her the hope she needed to stop being depressed.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 6 - Baking With Natsuki

Man, things just hit me like a God drat train in this episode. I knew sad things would happen, I knew things would get rough, but it still took me off-guard. And I know far worse things are coming. I may poke fun at Sayori like, constantly, but I honestly never disliked her. (I never particularly liked her very much either, but that's beside the point.) That first conversation with her especially was just brutal to sit through, it was genuinely pretty drat sad. Meanwhile, things moved so much faster with Natsuki than I expected. The near-kiss especially felt jarring considering how little time I spent with the girl before now. Like seriously, she's known Saitama for a week and she already wants in his pants. Though I have to say, the actual baking portion was far less painful than I expected. As for that decision near the end, I have a pretty strong feeling it's meaningless, and whatever happens next will happen no matter which one I chose. Still, I tried to make things right, but even then thinking back to it, it seemed like the wrong decision. And finally, it seems there's more to Monika than just someone that can break the fourth wall. Seems like she may be the villain of this game, and said some awful poo poo to Sayori...

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Monika? A villain? She's not that remarkable, she's just Monika!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

The near-kiss especially felt jarring considering how little time I spent with the girl before now. Like seriously, she's known Saitama for a week and she already wants in his pants.

Yeah, that's the thing people have been talking about regarding the game being "compressed". This isn't a long game by visual novel standards, so while scenes like this are pretty common in romance VNs, they usually come at a much later part of the game when you've spent more time with the characters and built up a more plausible relationship. Doki Doki Literature Club squishes what could otherwise be several times as long into a few hours while attempting to still hit the same beats.

Out of curiosity, how far ahead are you?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:smith:

Oh and don't date Sayori in her current state. It won't end well. Learn from e/n. :(

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, that's the thing people have been talking about regarding the game being "compressed". This isn't a long game by visual novel standards, so while scenes like this are pretty common in romance VNs, they usually come at a much later part of the game when you've spent more time with the characters and built up a more plausible relationship. Doki Doki Literature Club squishes what could otherwise be several times as long into a few hours while attempting to still hit the same beats.

Out of curiosity, how far ahead are you?
Yeah, as I've said before I don't usually play VNs, so I have no idea how normal some of this stuff is, and how much of it is parody or whatever. In the end it at least I can make light of it and joke about the girls being super thirsty or something.

And this next video is as far as I got. I got carried away and recorded a bunch of videos because I wanted to see what happened next. I forced myself to stop though, so at least my little reactions ITT would be more genuine. Like I know exactly what will happen next, and I've known it for almost a week now.

Poil posted:

:smith:

Oh and don't date Sayori in her current state. It won't end well. Learn from e/n. :(
Yeah, at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. Then I remembered how Sayori was like "Oh, people liking me hurts me!" and that kind of stuff. Though as I said, I have a sneaking suspicion it wouldn't have changed much...

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Yeah, as I've said before I don't usually play VNs, so I have no idea how normal some of this stuff is, and how much of it is parody or whatever. In the end it at least I can make light of it and joke about the girls being super thirsty or something.

And this next video is as far as I got. I got carried away and recorded a bunch of videos because I wanted to see what happened next. I forced myself to stop though, so at least my little reactions ITT would be more genuine. Like I know exactly what will happen next, and I've known it for almost a week now.

Yeah, at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. Then I remembered how Sayori was like "Oh, people liking me hurts me!" and that kind of stuff. Though as I said, I have a sneaking suspicion it wouldn't have changed much...

If you really want to know: It doesn’t; she still dies. You can’t magically solve chronic depression like that, and the game treats it realistically.

Either way, the protagonist is a douche.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Now that it's actually come up, I should mention that this might have been noticeable beforehand if more attention were paid to the words Sayori likes.

In the first video: hopeless, broken, depression, ocean, death, unrequited
Third video: unrequited, empty, sadness, tragedy, misery, shame, lazy
Fourth video: happiness, friends, dazzle, rainbow, sunny, smile, passion, beauty, bliss, warm

Yuri may like the more complicated words, but Sayori really has the lock on the saddest ones.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really hate how a ton of anime and similar makes light of depression. Oh, just cheer up and take a genki-pill and everything magically becomes better with no problems again whatsoever.

Natsuki baking was kinda cute. But a bit weird since they haven't even known each other for a week like mentioned. Oh I kinda like the cute little fang. :shobon:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Double Punctuation posted:

If you really want to know: It doesn’t; she still dies. You can’t magically solve chronic depression like that, and the game treats it realistically.

Either way, the protagonist is a douche.
Yeah, I know. And I know you can't solve depression, but I was hoping more to prevent suicide.

Cyouni posted:

Now that it's actually come up, I should mention that this might have been noticeable beforehand if more attention were paid to the words Sayori likes.

In the first video: hopeless, broken, depression, ocean, death, unrequited
Third video: unrequited, empty, sadness, tragedy, misery, shame, lazy
Fourth video: happiness, friends, dazzle, rainbow, sunny, smile, passion, beauty, bliss, warm

Yuri may like the more complicated words, but Sayori really has the lock on the saddest ones.
Yeah, looking back at it I did notice that. It was staring at me right from the start.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

With regards to the line about manga, if you had written poems with more Natsuki words and gotten her scenes, you would've been reading manga with her. I guess they just assumed you wouldn't pick her without seeing some of those earlier.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

With regards to the line about manga, if you had written poems with more Natsuki words and gotten her scenes, you would've been reading manga with her. I guess they just assumed you wouldn't pick her without seeing some of those earlier.
Yeah, I had forgotten Natsuki had a manga interest, probably because I only hung out with Yuri by accident.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

She does actually mention manga earlier - she perks up when you mention it.

As much as people playing for the first time slam the beginning for being boring and anime, there is a LOT of subtle foreshadowing that goes over people's heads.

Remember when Sayori said she would write poems till she died?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - Being Forced Into The Literature Club

Alright, so, not too much to say right now. My assumption was correct and things are basically like a typical Visual Novel so far. Though I admit I kept expecting something really hosed up to happen at any moment. I'm not sure how much of this game is parodying typical VNs and how much is sincere. I can't help but notice each girl is just exceedingly like a stereotypical anime girl. The Tsundere, the shy one, and...Monika. As I said in the video, I expect something with the poems, like one of the girls will hint at some awful trauma that happened to them or something. And so far, as I mentioned, Yuri's probably my favorite since she at least shares similar tastes with her liking horror. My least favorite is the tiny Tsundere girl, since Tsundere characters never fail to annoy me.

Well, the first big tragedy has occured. Sayori has killed herself, and the world...reset. I was actually really taken aback by that, and all the glitches. I really had no idea about this happening in the game. I think it's really safe to assume that there was no combination of choices that'd make Sayori not kill herself, but I really don't know for sure. As for Monika...I just wonder what her deal is. I mean, is she human? She clearly has full awareness as to what's going on and that we're in a game. Is she a person that somehow gained fourth wall awareness and weird reset powers, or is she some kind of demon or witch? Not enough to go on to really theorize on that. This was the last video I have recorded ahead of time, and I won't record ahead of time anymore. This also means I make the same mistake of picking depressing choices for poems, but from now on I won't do that anymore. I also predict Yuri will be the next one to die or something really hosed up happen to her, if only because she replaced Sayori as Vice-President of the club.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I think Monika's poems are interesting. Really give you some good insight into her thought process when making them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
A common gameplay thing in visual novels - dating sims in particular - is going back and replaying the game to get another girl's route after you're done with the first one. So now that one arc is over with, time to make some different choices and try another one, right? :v:

Good job on noticing the picture in the background in the classroom. It's indeed Sayori in her room and only appears once the glitch arc starts.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Did you check traceback.txt? Check the game folder.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"You really left her hanging." gently caress you Monika! You're the one writing all this or something, aren't you?

I played this game a little bit myself bit yesterday and only went to the first poem sharing bit (don't want to catch up to the lp). Of course I ended up with the tsundere scene and it was actually enjoyable. In a spoiler tag because it hasn't been shown in the LP but it doesn't reveal anything bad that we didn't already know. Reading her favorite manga with her and she was so happy to finally have someone to share her interest with. :3: I'm tempted to see what Sayori's first day would be like too.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 19, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Did you check traceback.txt? Check the game folder.
Holy poo poo, so yeah there's a lot of stuff in the game folder, thanks.

traceback.txt has this little gem in it: "RestartTopContext: Oh jeez...I didn't break anything, did I? Hold on a sec, I can probably fix this...I think...
Actually, you know what? This would probably be a lot easier if I just deleted her. She's the one who's making this so difficult. Ahaha! Well, here's goes nothing."

And there's another file called CAN YOU HEAR ME with the following inside:

"There's a little devil inside all of us."

Beneath their manufactured perception - their artificial reality - is a
writhing, twisted mess of dread. Loathing. Judgment. Elitism. Self-doubt.
All thrashing to escape the feeble hold of their host, seeping through every
little crevice they can find. Into their willpower, starving them of all
motivation and desire. Into their stomach, forcing them to drown their guilt in
comfort food. Or into a newly-opened gash in their skin, hidden only by the
sleeves of a cute new shirt.
Such a deplorable, tangled mass is already present in every single one of them.
That's why I choose not to blame myself for their actions.

All I did was untie the knot.

And finally, there's a picture called "hxppy thxughts" there too...

Now this is the type of poo poo I love. It's one thing to make the game glitchy, but to add all this poo poo to the game folder too is a great touch, and somewhat creepy too. I should also note that in the character folder, there's a .chr file for each of the girls...except Sayori is now gone from it...

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Holy poo poo, so yeah there's a lot of stuff in the game folder, thanks.

Keep it open, and sort by Date Modified.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nice, we're into the good stuff now. I also accidentally clicked away from that poem, went back to see what it said. that last line is brilliantly chilling.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you leave that special poem up on your screen long enough, it gets replaced with something else:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

If you leave that special poem up on your screen long enough, it gets replaced with something else:

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Kind of an odd, seemingly pointless addition. How strange...

Double Punctuation posted:

Keep it open, and sort by Date Modified.
You mean while I play?

Augus posted:

nice, we're into the good stuff now. I also accidentally clicked away from that poem, went back to see what it said. that last line is brilliantly chilling.
Yeah, I'm getting excited. I knew there'd be depressing poo poo, but the whole reset and glitch poo poo and whatever Monika's deal is wasn't something I knew about. I'm pretty stoked to see where it goes, though I have a pretty good feeling as to where that is...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 8 - The Fight

Jesus Christ. I was...not expecting that. Things went pretty normal, though somewhat different, at first, but that loving fight...There's no way Natsuki's line about Yuri cutting herself was just so she could be mean. That's gotta be Yuri's personal issue: self harm. I wish that black text didn't go by so fast though, that honestly annoyed me because I couldn't read it at all. Also, Monika...I had no idea she could just interfere so directly, with her mind wiping and all. It raises some pretty awful ideas...And I did finally make a poem geared towards someone other than Yuri, so that's a plus.

Also, the game folder has a new file called "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" and it had this inside:

"I hate this.

I CAN'T DO ANYTHING. NOTHING.
No matter how many times you play. It's all the same.
It would be really, really easy to kill myself right now. But that would mean I don't get to talk to you anymore.
All I want is for you to hate them. Why is that so hard?"

I want to say it's from Monika's point of view. But the suicide talk fits Sayori better...though her wanting me to hate people doesn't really fit her...

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Jeez that thing with the eye is new, I've never seen that and I've been playing/watching farrr too much of this game

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

From the looks of things, auto text seems to skip right over the black text boxes. It might not be the best thing in the world to use since the game's loving up.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Some of them get auto-skipped on auto, some of them auto-skip themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cyouni posted:

Some of them get auto-skipped on auto, some of them auto-skip themselves.

I'm sure it's fine, though.

Everything is fine.

The game is working just as it's meant to.

• Locked thread