Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm sure it's fine, though.

Everything is fine.

The game is working just as it's meant to.

Well, you don't see anything in the history, do you? So it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The black text intentionally goes by too fast and skips ahead of its own a lot of the time, you can't control it. Catch a glimpse of the horror lurking underneath while you can. I mean don't worry, I'm sure everything is fine, it's just Monika.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What are you guys talking about, I never saw any black text :confused:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I managed to catch most of the black text in the video with the "k" key. It was the thoughts of miss Bashful, not particularly important. Just Bashful being bashful.

After all the weird theories about Monika that has been bouncing around in my head lately I can't help but feel that I'm going to get disappointed. :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Poil posted:

I managed to catch most of the black text in the video with the "k" key. It was the thoughts of miss Bashful, not particularly important. Just Bashful being bashful.

After all the weird theories about Monika that has been bouncing around in my head lately I can't help but feel that I'm going to get disappointed. :v:

You probably will be, yeah.

No big secrets.

She's just Monika.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Reminder not to believe chiasaur11 and his dirty lies.

But for real, I'm glad it's an auto-skip thing and not a (real) glitch. I was worried I'd have to go manual for a while so the text could actually be seen. Though I guess it's not too bad, people can just pause the video like Poil did.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, it just involves going back in the video over and over until you manage to nail it. :v:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If you spent more time with Monika you wouldn't need to worry about glitches.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 9 - Yuri's Problems

What. The. gently caress. Like seriously, so much freaky poo poo happened in one episode, it was like a roller coaster. First, I do get confirmation that Yuri does indeed cut herself, and that Monika has rewinding and memory-wiping powers it seems. Also, Yuri has gone fully mentally hosed and thirsty. I had no idea she'd go Yandere like that, or that any of the girls would. I thought she was going to try and murder Saitama or something and start wearing his skin. Oddly enough, Monika seems to not be in total control of the game like I thought she was. I thought she was the Puppet Master, but her being cut off by the fade to black says otherwise. On a lighter note, I liked how the music became muffled when I went out into the hallway, that was actually pretty funny. I am confused, as it seems like I'm going to be hanging out with Yuri again today, unless something happens, despite me picking Natsuki-geared poetry entries from the poetry-selection before the glitched one. Am I just like, too far in this Yuri storyline for me to change things? And I did also notice a Monika jumping up at the bottom of the screen, but I didn't know which kinds of words exactly registered to her, which was unfortunate. And finally, nothing new in the game folder; no pictures or text documents.

Things are seriously getting out of hand. I wasn't ready for this.

I feel so violated.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Don't bully Yuri, she's a nice girl.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cyouni posted:

Don't bully Yuri, she's a nice girl.

Well, she's certainly sharp, but I kinda get the feeling she's the type who'd get cold once you were spending a lot of time with her.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

After Yuri acted like that with the pencil and hearing she has a collection of knives, I strongly recommend some form of witness protection program for the main character.

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, she's certainly sharp, but I kinda get the feeling she's the type who'd get cold once you were spending a lot of time with her.
A... reverse tsundere?!? :aaa:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Poil posted:

A... reverse tsundere?!? :aaa:

I'm not saying it goes that far. I just think she might be a bit stiff.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

This arc is a lot more railroady than the previous one. Keep writing the poems you want to write, though.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

This arc is a lot more railroady than the previous one. Keep writing the poems you want to write, though.
Yeah, I had that feeling. Seems like I changed poo poo up too late.

Poil posted:

After Yuri acted like that with the pencil and hearing she has a collection of knives, I strongly recommend some form of witness protection program for the main character.
I won't lie, Yandere characters creep me out. If only because there are people like that, though usually less exaggerated, in the real world. Yuri's loving eyes never fail to freak me out when I see them. How they're just a bit more realistic looking than the other girls' when she goes into full freak-out mode...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Today's special poem:

...maybe you had to be there.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So in that last video you were wondering what the deal with Natsuki is. I'm going to spoiler this in case you decide to replay the game and pursue her route earlier, but if you don't, the gist of it is that she's being raised alone by her father, and he doesn't put much effort into maintaining the household. It's also pretty strongly implied that he smacks her around a fair bit, but it's not entirely clear if this is "true," for reasons that will soon become clear.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 10 - Just Monika

Just when I thought poo poo couldn't have gotten any weirder, the game surprises me. Yuri going full Yandere sincerely started to freak me out by the end of that little arc. Though I have to admit, her saying she pleasured herself with my pen really made me laugh for some reason. The "weekend" thing really got old and annoying very fast though. I realized after the episode was over that the "have a nice weekend" file was referring to me having to stay with Yuri's corpse all weekend. And then...Monika. Good lord, Monika. I knew she could effect some things, but I had no idea she held as much power as she did. I gotta say, defeating Monika by deleting her character file in the game's directory was pretty drat clever and kind of amusing. I still don't get how she did what she did, but I think I'm looking too far into something I'm not supposed to take seriously, so I'll shrug it off. I was, however, expecting a third arc after Yuri killed herself, since Natsuki never got much screentime. Like I know I kept accidentally hanging out with Yuri, but despite that Sayori got her big moments, and apparently the Yandere Yuri thing was kind of railroaded so I didn't have much choice but to deal with her. But I plan on replaying and gearing all my poems to Natsuki, so I'm gonna keep what Marshal Radsic said a secret to myself so I can find out her dirty laundry on my own. I still think it has something to do with her dad being abusive to some degree. So yeah, this isn't the last part, I just know there's a bunch of secrets left to discover, and I'm sure there's at least one more ending for me to get. I just don't know how to go about unlocking it. The only thing I can think of is accepting Yuri's confession, which I imagine will end up with her killing me or something. I should also note that the game's folder is now clear of any weird stuff, except that Monka's character file is still missing.

Also, do I actually have to reinstall the game, or is that just flavor text?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Also, do I actually have to reinstall the game, or is that just flavor text?

Restarting the game without reinstalling it just takes you to that screen again forever as far as I know.

Getting the other ending requires thinking outside the box a tiny bit and (ab)using some of the stuff only you can do.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

There’s a file you can delete in the game folder that generates a new game without reinstallation.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Delete firstrun in the game folder and it'll start clean.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Materant posted:

Delete firstrun in the game folder and it'll start clean.

This is actually what you do if you want a "true" restart. Don't do that yet. There is something else you are supposed to do at this part

*edit* wait, nvm, I misunderstood where we were. Yeah you can delete that file and it will treat the game as a fresh install.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 25, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Alright, thanks, I'll do that then.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Getting the other ending requires thinking outside the box a tiny bit and (ab)using some of the stuff only you can do.
Yeah, I think I have a pretty good feeling of what that is, but I want to play the game again normally before I start abusing stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are two other endings, one good and one very, very bad. You've been warned.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Very, very bad, eh? Why do I feel like it involves Yuri wearing my skin like a suit?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I still don't get how she did what she did, but I think I'm looking too far into something I'm not supposed to take seriously, so I'll shrug it off.

The easy answer is that in dating sims, you frequently see a character whose sole role is effectively to act as the player's information station. For this purpose, they're endowed with supernatural powers to read your relationship points, give you updates on your current status, and other things like that.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Cyouni posted:

The easy answer is that in dating sims, you frequently see a character whose sole role is effectively to act as the player's information station. For this purpose, they're endowed with supernatural powers to read your relationship points, give you updates on your current status, and other things like that.

See: the Tokimeki Memorial LPs in the archive. Those have good examples of said characters...except for 3. We don't talk about 3 (unless it involves Best Girl Serika).

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Oh yeah, just for anyone who didn't pause the video at the end, this is the "poem" at the end, and it's appropriately depressing and informative:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Cyouni posted:

I guess that makes sense. I mean I don't play dating sims or VNs in general so I didn't know that was a thing. I was just thinking the real answer was "Just because", I know not to take this game too seriously.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It works like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPVfJ9ljYLA

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 25, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 11 - Natsuki's Path

Alright, time to restart things. This whole path will be dedicated to getting to the bottom of what Natsuki's awful secrets are. As much as I bash Tsundere characters, I think I actually like Natsuki more than Yuri, as I was reminded that the constantly stuttering, shy, second-guessing type characters annoy me even more. I am having troubles with the poems though, sometimes I pick cute and happy things and get Sayori rather than Natsuki, and I can't figure out the pattern. At the very least it hasn't been too much of an issue so far. Also, Natsuki once again mentioned her dad in a negative light, reinforcing my idea that he's abusive. Though honestly it's pretty obvious since he's the only family member any of the girls have mentioned so far. And that's really it so far, though I wonder if the second arc will change at all since I'm focusing on a different character...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Part 11 - Natsuki's Path

Alright, time to restart things. This whole path will be dedicated to getting to the bottom of what Natsuki's awful secrets are. As much as I bash Tsundere characters, I think I actually like Natsuki more than Yuri, as I was reminded that the constantly stuttering, shy, second-guessing type characters annoy me even more. I am having troubles with the poems though, sometimes I pick cute and happy things and get Sayori rather than Natsuki, and I can't figure out the pattern. At the very least it hasn't been too much of an issue so far. Also, Natsuki once again mentioned her dad in a negative light, reinforcing my idea that he's abusive. Though honestly it's pretty obvious since he's the only family member any of the girls have mentioned so far. And that's really it so far, though I wonder if the second arc will change at all since I'm focusing on a different character...

Based on the way they get described in-game, I think Sayori likes "emotional" words, while Natsuki likes "cute" ones. So "happy" would tag Sayori but "bunny" would tag Natsuki.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Monika had a lot to say,

But you deleted her.

You monster.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Based on the way they get described in-game, I think Sayori likes "emotional" words, while Natsuki likes "cute" ones. So "happy" would tag Sayori but "bunny" would tag Natsuki.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks, mate.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Monika had a lot to say,

But you deleted her.

You monster.
Bitch should've hurried the Hell up and spoke. I don't got all day.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Bitch should've hurried the Hell up and spoke. I don't got all day.

You're the one who clicked yes my dude.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So here's an interesting question I found while bouncing around the internet: what would the "original" version of DDLC have looked like? What sort of game would we get if everything played out the way it "should," with none of Monika's tampering? The best idea I've seen is the suggestion that it would be something vaguely like Katawa Shoujo, but with mental illness instead of physical disabilities. Given what we see in the early parts of the game, I wonder if there's some sort of hidden joke that a "normal" version of DDLC would be cliche-ridden, pretty offensive to people with actual mental illnesses, and be generally unremarkable as a romance VN.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Monika explicitly mentions dialing the other girls' problems up to eleven with her tampering. Before she did anything, Sayori wasn't suicidal, just somewhat depressed; Yuri wasn't cutting herself, she was just broody and shy and quiet. I'm guessing (Natsuki spoilers) Natsuki's dad wasn't abusive either, just a single dad not doing a great job at taking care of his daughter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Monika explicitly mentions dialing the other girls' problems up to eleven with her tampering. Before she did anything, Sayori wasn't suicidal, just somewhat depressed; Yuri wasn't cutting herself, she was just broody and shy and quiet. I'm guessing (Natsuki spoilers) Natsuki's dad wasn't abusive either, just a single dad not doing a great job at taking care of his daughter.

Well, given the raccoon poem I'm pretty sure Yuri was still cutting. Just, you know. Not so bad. And not tied in with a psychotic obsession with the protagonist.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I also wouldn't be surprised if Monica was also upping the tension in their relationships with other members of the Literature Club. In the very short time you have at the end, they sound like they get along a lot better than in the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Marshal Radisic posted:

So here's an interesting question I found while bouncing around the internet: what would the "original" version of DDLC have looked like? What sort of game would we get if everything played out the way it "should," with none of Monika's tampering? The best idea I've seen is the suggestion that it would be something vaguely like Katawa Shoujo, but with mental illness instead of physical disabilities. Given what we see in the early parts of the game, I wonder if there's some sort of hidden joke that a "normal" version of DDLC would be cliche-ridden, pretty offensive to people with actual mental illnesses, and be generally unremarkable as a romance VN.
Yeah, because if I recall right, Monika said that she only made Sayori more depressed, but didn't cause her to be depressed in the first place. And I don't think she made Yuri a cutter, that was something natural. And I will say the first arc, before things got crazy, was pretty boring to sit through. My only entertainment was making fun of the characters, and the knowledge that things would get hosed up like with Sayori hanging herself.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yuri wasn't cutting herself, she was just broody and shy and quiet.
She wasn't cutting herself? I feel like Monika would've mentioned if she implemented that. I will say that during the credits, I noticed a picture of what I assume is Yuri and Saitama from if I decided to help her with her part of the festival project. I'm pretty sure she had on a long-sleeve shirt, one perfect for hiding her cuts.

Cyouni posted:

I also wouldn't be surprised if Monica was also upping the tension in their relationships with other members of the Literature Club. In the very short time you have at the end, they sound like they get along a lot better than in the main game.
That's one reason (aside from her being a Yandere freak) is why I think she killed Sayori off first. Sayori acted as a mediator for Natsuki and Yuri's fight, stopping it from escalating into something really nasty.

• Locked thread