Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I don't know which girl you helped out for the festival in the first run but hanging out with Yuri makes it pretty clear that she's cutting in the living room when you go off to find stuff and Monika hadn't really started messing with stuff at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

That's one reason (aside from her being a Yandere freak) is why I think she killed Sayori off first. Sayori acted as a mediator for Natsuki and Yuri's fight, stopping it from escalating into something really nasty.
That's an excellent point, but I wonder if Monika originally intended to kill the other girls. If you hang out with her in the void, she talks about how she still considered the girls her friends despite knowing they were just snippets of code, as well as saying that her original intention was just to tweak the other girls slightly so the player would pursue her instead of them. Maybe I'm just assuming the best of Monika here, but I think Sayori's suicide may have been an unexpected accident that Monika rationalized by dismissing all the other girls as "not real." While she does make cruel jokes about the problems the other girls have, I think there's just enough space to read her either as a straight-up sociopath or someone putting up a callous front to numb the guilt.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Based on the bonus poems I don't think Monika actually had control to the level that she MADE Sayori and Yuri kill themselves, but considered those outcomes as useful accidents. One of the side bits mentions that she didn't create the mental problems that made the unstable, she just "opened the door". So Sayori was always depressed and Yuri was always obsessive; Monika just made it so those aspects overwhelmed every other aspect of their personalities.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Sayori's suicide and the resulting crash and reboot that it caused the script were the catalyst that made Monika realize she could delete the characters. She never intended to at first, she just wanted you to hate them so you could focus on her. There are some hints during Sayori's events that Monika is legitimately regretting what she did to her.

But once you break that seal, you can't really put it back on.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Monika is incredibly clumsy and poor at fine control. All the black text you see is Monika overwriting what would normally be there. There are hints that Natsuki's dad is strict and Yuri cuts herself (as mentioned) and Monika's good enough to not outright destroy the game but not to subtly plant hints in the girls' heads. Rewatch act II when Yuri gains an odd fondness for pens, there are moments of lucidity where Yuri realizes that something is taking control of her and she's losing her mental struggle.

Also of note is that the girls do seem to have some free will, like with Natsuki's therapy poem.

Lastly if you go back and play act 1 there's a LOT of subtle foreshadowing that pops at you in a repeated playthrough. Sayori is gonna write poems till she dies!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Lastly if you go back and play act 1 there's a LOT of subtle foreshadowing that pops at you in a repeated playthrough. Sayori is gonna write poems till she dies!
Yeah, I especially noticed how Monika's poems take on a drastic new light with the knowledge that she knows she's in a game, and is aware of the player...

Part 12 - Shelf Shenanigans

Not too much to say here. I will say that scene with the shelf and the panties was probably the most cliche part of the game so far. I can't believe Saitama is a degenerate pervert, I'm so disappointed. I was surprised that Yuri and Monika had their poems skipped over entirely here, but nothing else that was different. I thought that if I took a different girl's paths, the poems were supposed to change. So far all the poems that I've gotten to see have been the same. Or am I supposed to do something else to make them different? Either way, I feel like next time I'll get some concrete answers on what Natsuki's home life is like, or at least a good hint to it. I just have a strong hunch...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 13 - Natsuki's Glitches

Time for the second round of the "Glitch Arc". Looks like Natsuki's glitch gimmick is a bit different from Yuri's so far, with those black blocks covering her facial features. Since things just started, I don't have too much to say though. Sayori hung herself like usual and I'm going to assume nothing I do can change that. I just have to wonder, is Natsuki's dad normally as abusive as he is, or is that Monika tweaking things, like how she made Sayori suicidal or Yuri a Yandere? I just wonder because Natsuki apparently has enough money for baking supplies and for manga, but not enough to lunch? Either way, at least during the Glitch Arc, it seems she gets smacked around by her dad. I just wonder how else her personality will change like with Yuri in the last cycle. I also have a theory she's gonna get skinnier and skinnier as time goes by.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Monika appears to be to blame for everything. Since Sayori kills herself maybe she's the "correct" choice. Or you're supposed to spread it out between all three girls and shove show your poems to Monika first each time. Who knows?

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I just wonder because Natsuki apparently has enough money for baking supplies and for manga, but not enough to lunch?
You gotta have your priorities.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

She's probably using club budget to get the baking supplies. Clubs in Japan are funded by the school, which is why it's something of a deal to be official. Of course, they aren't official yet in the second arc, so it's probably just another inconsistency Monika caused by deleting Sayori and cranking Natsuki and Yuri's problems up to 11.

Materant fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 30, 2017

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Poil posted:

Monika appears to be to blame for everything. Since Sayori kills herself maybe she's the "correct" choice. Or you're supposed to spread it out between all three girls and shove show your poems to Monika first each time. Who knows?

You gotta have your priorities.

But this is a video game. I should be able to see it ALL. In one go. If there was only some way to see all the sweet stuff before Monika fucks around with the files.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Virtual novels usually require you to play through them multiple times, once for each romantic interest. Sometimes they each have bad endings too. So, you're never going to be able to see it all in one playthrough. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 30, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Poil posted:

Yeah, no idea. I feel like there's no way to save Sayori's life, and it'll always happen no matter what I try. I admit it'd be cool if there was some way to get rid of Yuri or Natsuki instead instead of Sayori and have her be a part of the "Glitch Arc" for a change.

Materant posted:

She's probably using club budget to get the baking supplies. Clubs in Japan are funded by the school, which is why it's something of a deal to be official. Of course, they aren't official yet in the second arc, so it's probably just another inconsistency Monika caused by deleting Sayori and cranking Natsuki and Yuri's problems up to 11.
I think Monika is definitely making Natsuki's dad worse. I'm betting that normally, they may just have a strained relationship, like the dad is a bit strict or something. But during the Glitch Arc, the dad is full on abusive and beating his daughter instead.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I didn't dispute that, I was just providing a logical reason (and also a reason for there to not BE a reason) for Natsuki to have money for supplies but not food.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
new bike cuck meme
spoilers for ddlc

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it possible to to copy sayori's character to another folder and paste it back in after the game deletes it? Did they plan for that too? :v:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 14 - The End. Again.

Well, I admit I'm a bit disappointed with things. While that scene with Natsuki and her...neck was actually kind of funny, that's where her part ended. I got railroaded onto Yuri's part again despite all efforts not to. And not to mention me saying "Yes" to Yuri's confession got me the same result. I just was under the impression I was missing so much more from this game, but it doesn't seem to really be the case. Unless I'm missing something?

So, I've decided to ask you guys, what's there left for me to do? I kind of want the next video to be the last unless there's a lot I'm missing. Sayori's poem path before her suicide doesn't seem like it'd be worth the time, so how do I go about getting the other two endings? Is there enough material for several more videos, or just one with some secrets and stuff?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The first one is simple, you just get 100% CG completion. This just involves you playing through each girl's path and reloading before Sayori hangs herself. You'll also need to confess to Sayori for that CG too.

The second one... I don't want to say it outright, but you've already had the idea that leads to it in a previous video. You lose some of the impact of the ending by not figuring it out yourself.

In case you can't figure it out: Delete Monika on a fresh install.

Materant fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 3, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can also hang out with Monika a bit after everyone else is gone. She's got a lot to say.

Try skipping it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

You can also hang out with Monika a bit after everyone else is gone. She's got a lot to say.

Try skipping it.
You mean after she goes silent to "gather her thoughts"?

Materant posted:

The first one is simple, you just get 100% CG completion. This just involves you playing through each girl's path and reloading before Sayori hangs herself. You'll also need to confess to Sayori for that CG too.
Reload? Reload to what point in the game?

Part 15 - Sayori's Path

Okay, seems I'll still have a few more videos to do. If only to get all the endings. Sadly there's not much for me to say here, except Sayori is so sickeningly sweet that I think I have diabetes now. I suppose that's the problem with doing commentary of a game like this. Since I have to repeat so much of it, I run out of anything worthwhile to say, or even new banter to throw at the characters. I really do feel like I've seen the best of what the game has to offer at this point, and the pre-suicide part of the game was always pretty dull for me, but for the sake of completion I'll do it anyway.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

You reload to before your first word selections, because those are what determine what girl's CG you get for that day. There's no shame in skipping the creepypasta arc once you're done, by the way, because nothing changes until the end of the game, when the club meeting ends.

Materant fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 5, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 16 - Sayori's Clumsiness

I gotta say, Sayori's really starting to grow on me. Her personality is pretty cookie cutter (like most of the characters), but her stupidity just keeps making me laugh. I swear at times she's almost as stupid as I jokingly refer to her as being. If anything, she's my favorite solely for making me laugh more than anyone else, and being the most entertaining girl pre-Glitch Arc. And next time I get to finally see what hanging out with Yuri outside of school is like. I'm guessing she'll make reference to her cutting in some way, even by accident. I noticed in the ending credits, she's wearing long sleeves, obviously to hide her scars. The next video will also probably be the last. I should be able to get the good ending, and then do the secret bad ending real quick and call it a wrap.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 17 - The Golden Ending

And now things are finally finished. Got the golden ending, and the dark ending. Admittedly, the effort for the golden ending wasn't really worth the effort, but it still only took about ten minutes once I knew exactly what to do. The dark ending was kind of amusing, but hardly a real ending, more of an Easter Egg. All in all, I'm really glad I played this game, doubly so that I went in mostly blind. I'm sure Sayori hanging herself would've been a shocker if I didn't know it was coming, which I'm a bit disappointed in. Oh well. The Glitch Arc was where the game really shines. I mean I'll be honest, I don't find any of these characters interesting when they're their normal selves, which I'm sure is part of the point. The worst part of doing this playthrough was going back through the parts before Sayori's suicide. Yeah, there were some funny moments, but not enough to make it better than the glitchy parts. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't some third arc where things got even more glitchy and broken, with just Natsuki and Monika. I mean I know there needs to be four people for a club, but surely that could've been waved away? I suppose part of it is just because I want to see Natsuki do more creepy stuff. That neck-break thing was a surprise, but it didn't even compare to Yandere Yuri. Everything else I want to really say, I said in the video itself. I like Sayori, if only for her idiocy, felt the other girls were bland during the pre-suicide bit, with Yuri being great during the Glitch Arc. But poor Monika, to me she was boring the whole way through, even when she erased everything. I will also say that deleting other character files aside from Monika not doing anything was a bit of a bummer. So much potential there...

I'd like to thank those that followed the playthrough to the end, and for those that gave me hints on what to do as I went along. I really had a lot of fun with this, and I hope Dan Salvato makes more games in the near future.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 9, 2017

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Basically what happened in the bad ending: You made the same mistake Monika did in assuming just removing herself would make the game normal. The game apparently has a succession order for the President, and Sayori got moved into it in the absence of Monika.

Except, unlike the other times, Sayori's depression hadn't been fixed.

So what happens when you give a person already days away from killing themselves the gift of knowing that they, and everyone around them, exist for no other reason than to act out a story where one of them falls in love with the player stand-in?

An interesting message does pop up if you watch for ten minutes, though:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The first section isn't all that great, but it's worth going through once after you know what's coming so you can see the really blatant foreshadowing that they did. It's not at all subtle.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Materant posted:

Basically what happened in the bad ending: You made the same mistake Monika did in assuming just removing herself would make the game normal. The game apparently has a succession order for the President, and Sayori got moved into it in the absence of Monika.

Except, unlike the other times, Sayori's depression hadn't been fixed.

So what happens when you give a person already days away from killing themselves the gift of knowing that they, and everyone around them, exist for no other reason than to act out a story where one of them falls in love with the player stand-in?

An interesting message does pop up if you watch for ten minutes, though:

Yeah, I think I had mentioned that because Monika's gone, Sayori gains her "fourth wall awareness", though maybe I didn't go into it too much. But either way, Sayori just exists to suffer, huh? Like, more than the other girls it seems. She gets hanged, gets an existential crisis, and personally erased by Monika a second time in the normal ending. And as for that message...that's some grim poo poo.

ultrafilter posted:

The first section isn't all that great, but it's worth going through once after you know what's coming so you can see the really blatant foreshadowing that they did. It's not at all subtle.
Well, that is true. I admit seeing Monika's poems especially were good for a lightbulb moment. But even with those foreshadowing moments, at least for me, it just doesn't make up for the generic dating sim shenanigans. I know that's the point, and some people may even like those, but they just aren't my cup of tea, though a few moments did make me laugh, especially with Sayori.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

But either way, Sayori just exists to suffer, huh? Like, more than the other girls it seems. She gets hanged, gets an existential crisis, and personally erased by Monika a second time in the normal ending. And as for that message...that's some grim poo poo.

That's part of why this ending hits a lot of people pretty hard; it's an absolutely miserable, hopeless ending for a person who didn't deserve any of what she got throughout the story. And the one time she gets to have a happy ending, it's mixed with the depressing realization that because you did everything in the game, there's no reason for you to stay anymore.

Sayori doesn't get to be happy, and in some ways that's worse than Monika's deal of being a broken person desperately trying to convince herself and you that she's more than just a file.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Materant posted:

That's part of why this ending hits a lot of people pretty hard; it's an absolutely miserable, hopeless ending for a person who didn't deserve any of what she got throughout the story. And the one time she gets to have a happy ending, it's mixed with the depressing realization that because you did everything in the game, there's no reason for you to stay anymore.

Sayori doesn't get to be happy, and in some ways that's worse than Monika's deal of being a broken person desperately trying to convince herself and you that she's more than just a file.
Let's not lie, Sayori deserves everything she gets. But for real, I did feel worse for Sayori more than Monika. Probably because she had more screentime (which I realize was done on purpose), and the fact I just don't feel bad for Monika to begin with. I mean I don't know how seriously I should take this game, or Monika herself, but her falling desperately in love with someone she's never talked to was just odd and didn't make me feel for her. I feel like I may just be looking too deep into it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Well maybe you shouldn't have ignored her and then deleted her.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

She got what was coming to her.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'm not watching the LP yet cause I just started and want ~the experience~ so apologies if you did, but have you noticed that when starting the game after poo poo gets weird that it changes the trigger warning sometimes?
disturbed=/=dismembered, "I miss you", etc

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

I'm not watching the LP yet cause I just started and want ~the experience~ so apologies if you did, but have you noticed that when starting the game after poo poo gets weird that it changes the trigger warning sometimes?
disturbed=/=dismembered, "I miss you", etc
I didn't notice that at first, but I checked out what some of them could be. Some of them are pretty eerie.

Speaking of eerie, I decided to look up what kinds of Easter Eggs I may have missed and found two especially freaky things.

One, if you change Natsuki's character file into a jpg, it provides a bizarre image which, if "mapped onto a 3D cone", gives us this.

And one of the secret poems is all blackened out, but if the contrast is turned up all the way, reveals this entry:

Irregular heartbeat. Heart palpitations. Arrhythmia. I search and search, eyes scanning everything I can find on their symptoms. What is this? Shortness of breath? Chest pain? Dizziness? No. This is all wrong. Elyssa's symptoms are nowhere near this simple. I've seen it twice now. The screams of pain. Sickeningly pale skin. Vomiting blood. There is no other explanation, other than that Renier's information was a complete and utter lie. This can't all be coincidence. It's not possible. I don't know how much of this Renier is behind. But I do know this: There is something horribly wrong with this family. And I accepted the invitation to become a part of it. I can hear Elyssa's screams through the walls now. I listen helplessly. Renier said that he would be with her shortly. Is he in her room now? Why is she screaming even louder than before?

Apparently the theory is this is a teaser for an upcoming game from Dan Salvato. I really can't think of what else it could possibly be.

• Locked thread