Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So in that last video you were wondering what the deal with Natsuki is. I'm going to spoiler this in case you decide to replay the game and pursue her route earlier, but if you don't, the gist of it is that she's being raised alone by her father, and he doesn't put much effort into maintaining the household. It's also pretty strongly implied that he smacks her around a fair bit, but it's not entirely clear if this is "true," for reasons that will soon become clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So here's an interesting question I found while bouncing around the internet: what would the "original" version of DDLC have looked like? What sort of game would we get if everything played out the way it "should," with none of Monika's tampering? The best idea I've seen is the suggestion that it would be something vaguely like Katawa Shoujo, but with mental illness instead of physical disabilities. Given what we see in the early parts of the game, I wonder if there's some sort of hidden joke that a "normal" version of DDLC would be cliche-ridden, pretty offensive to people with actual mental illnesses, and be generally unremarkable as a romance VN.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

That's one reason (aside from her being a Yandere freak) is why I think she killed Sayori off first. Sayori acted as a mediator for Natsuki and Yuri's fight, stopping it from escalating into something really nasty.
That's an excellent point, but I wonder if Monika originally intended to kill the other girls. If you hang out with her in the void, she talks about how she still considered the girls her friends despite knowing they were just snippets of code, as well as saying that her original intention was just to tweak the other girls slightly so the player would pursue her instead of them. Maybe I'm just assuming the best of Monika here, but I think Sayori's suicide may have been an unexpected accident that Monika rationalized by dismissing all the other girls as "not real." While she does make cruel jokes about the problems the other girls have, I think there's just enough space to read her either as a straight-up sociopath or someone putting up a callous front to numb the guilt.

• Locked thread