Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Natsuki is best girl, I don't know what y'all are about. :colbert:

It's perhaps worth pointing out that this game is really laying it on thick at the start... which is not to say that there aren't visual novels like this or that the stereotypes aren't there, but those aren't necessarily the VNs considered to be the best.
This game is being about as subtle as a sledgehammer with the dating sim tropes at the moment because, well, it wants to make it clear to you what it's about and that everything is cute and cuddly and you get to write poems for cute girls oh gosh :sparkles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, your choice of poem words decides whose scenes you get the next day. But it's okay, don't worry about picking the "wrong" ones.

As for what VNs are like... well, "visual novel" is a genre. They're not all alike. Those stereotypes didn't come from nowhere, but it's like comparing Dishonored to Wolfenstein or something; both FPSs, but quite different. Can either one be said to be "what FPSs are like"? More dating-sim-y visual novels can be a bit like that, yeah. Maybe not quite to that extent or that fast - the good ones have more story going than that. Things are a bit... compressed in Doki Doki Literature Club.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

This raises a question, should I do multiple playthroughs for the LP, or is it not worth it and I should stick with just this one?

Worry about this when we get to the end of the game, not before.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

The near-kiss especially felt jarring considering how little time I spent with the girl before now. Like seriously, she's known Saitama for a week and she already wants in his pants.

Yeah, that's the thing people have been talking about regarding the game being "compressed". This isn't a long game by visual novel standards, so while scenes like this are pretty common in romance VNs, they usually come at a much later part of the game when you've spent more time with the characters and built up a more plausible relationship. Doki Doki Literature Club squishes what could otherwise be several times as long into a few hours while attempting to still hit the same beats.

Out of curiosity, how far ahead are you?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

A common gameplay thing in visual novels - dating sims in particular - is going back and replaying the game to get another girl's route after you're done with the first one. So now that one arc is over with, time to make some different choices and try another one, right? :v:

Good job on noticing the picture in the background in the classroom. It's indeed Sayori in her room and only appears once the glitch arc starts.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The black text intentionally goes by too fast and skips ahead of its own a lot of the time, you can't control it. Catch a glimpse of the horror lurking underneath while you can. I mean don't worry, I'm sure everything is fine, it's just Monika.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

This arc is a lot more railroady than the previous one. Keep writing the poems you want to write, though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Also, do I actually have to reinstall the game, or is that just flavor text?

Restarting the game without reinstalling it just takes you to that screen again forever as far as I know.

Getting the other ending requires thinking outside the box a tiny bit and (ab)using some of the stuff only you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Monika explicitly mentions dialing the other girls' problems up to eleven with her tampering. Before she did anything, Sayori wasn't suicidal, just somewhat depressed; Yuri wasn't cutting herself, she was just broody and shy and quiet. I'm guessing (Natsuki spoilers) Natsuki's dad wasn't abusive either, just a single dad not doing a great job at taking care of his daughter.

• Locked thread