Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

A relatively new game, Doki Doki Literature Club! was released on September 22nd earlier this year, and is the first release of the Team Salvato group. One Dan Salvato seeming to do just about everything except for the actual game's art. The game itself hit a meme-like popularity, from what I've seen, and is not like usual VNs, from what I've heard. To be quite honest, I really don't know much about this game, aside from it being a VN and apparently having surprise horror elements in it. Of course, it's quite clearly listed as a "Psychological Horror" game on Steam, and the trailer itself even warns the weak of heart shouldn't play the game, so I guess it's not much of a surprise. And, as you can tell, this will be a blind LP, for the most part. But more on that later.

Why Doki Doki Literature Club!?

Honestly, I'm just curious, really. This game had a small explosion of popularity for a bit, and I want to know why. And while I'm at it, I might as well make an LP out of it, since there are probably some twists and turns that I won't see coming. That, and I want to tackle a VN for an LP, and this game seems as good as any to start with, so why not?

About the LP:

This will be a live, blind LP. I do know of one scene, which I will only say is THAT scene. Anyone who has played it or seen an LP probably knows what I mean by "THAT scene". But aside from THAT scene, I really don't know much else except for, as I mentioned, the game having some horror/disturbing elements to it. And I should note I won't be reading the dialogue out loud, so no need to worry if that bothers you.

As a warning, since it came up in the Sandcastle thread, I WILL be talking during cutscenes, just so people know if that kind of thing bothers them.

Of course, as a VN the entire thing is essentially a cutscene, so that's pretty unavoidable.

Schedule:

As usual, there's no specific schedule. I'll simply get to the LP when I'm able to. Hopefully at least two or three videos a week.

Spoilers?:

Since the game isn't even two months old yet, please hide any major spoilers if you mention them; both for me and anyone else in the thread that doesn't know what lies ahead with the game.

LET'S...READ BOOKS, PROBABLY:
Part 1 - Being Forced Into The Literature Club
Part 2 - Poetry Slam
Part 3 - Catfights and Cookies
Part 4 - Festival Announcement
Part 5 - Sayori's Problems
Part 6 - Baking With Natsuki
Part 7 - Being Forced Into The Literature Club
Part 8 - The Fight
Part 9 - Yuri's Problems
Part 10 - Just Monika
Part 11 - Natsuki's Path
Part 12 - Shelf Shenanigans
Part 13 - Natsuki's Glitches
Part 14 - The End. Again.
Part 15 - Sayori's Path
Part 16 - Sayori's Clumsiness
Part 17 - The Golden Ending

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Reserving this post, just in case.

The LP will start proper sometime tomorrow.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Alright got the first episode done. Editing took longer than expected.

Part 1 - Being Forced Into The Literature Club

Alright, so, not too much to say right now. My assumption was correct and things are basically like a typical Visual Novel so far. Though I admit I kept expecting something really hosed up to happen at any moment. I'm not sure how much of this game is parodying typical VNs and how much is sincere. I can't help but notice each girl is just exceedingly like a stereotypical anime girl. The Tsundere, the hyperactive goof, the shy one, and...Monika. As I said in the video, I expect something with the poems, like one of the girls will hint at some awful trauma that happened to them or something. And so far, as I mention, Yuri's probably my favorite since she at least shares similar tastes with her liking horror. My least favorite is the tiny Tsundere girl, since Tsundere characters never fail to annoy me.

And also, should I keep the auto-scroll on? It just feels like it takes too drat long sometimes, even though it's at the highest speed. I know it kind of bothered me, especially at the start.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 8, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Double Punctuation posted:

If you can read with auto-scroll on, that’s fine, but you need to turn it off for the poems due to a bug. It will skip the poems before you can read them, and they are the best part of the game. Switch it off when you first start showing off your poems.
I was more concerned the auto-scroll is just too drat slow, it seems like it lingers on text boxes for a long time, too long. And noted, I'll make sure to remember to turn it off for the poems, thanks for that.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Cyouni posted:

The auto scroll is reversed. It's a measurement of the time it'll be till the next line, meaning you have it at max.
Well, poo poo. Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix that for next time.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - Poetry Slam

Well, things are still going a bit slowly. I was hoping that one of the poems would have something messed up in it, like one of the girls would write down a poem that alludes to something hosed up in their life or something. Heck, maybe Yuri or Monika did that, but I just didn't catch on. I'm just expecting any second now for something freaky to happen and take me by surprise. I was thinking perhaps that Ms. Pink Tsundere's poem is alluding to some sort of self-esteem issues going on with her, or maybe I'm looking too deep into things. But alas, for now all I can do is banter and make fun of the girls like a big tough guy. I'm at least hoping what started at the end of the video will turn into something big, but I'm more expecting it to just be a silly thing that'll pass.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Poil posted:

What is it about these kind of games and utterly unlikable male main characters? Not just the blandness you're supposed to self project onto, if you are sad enough, but whatever personality there is is always so terrible.
Well clearly they're trying to match the personality of the person playing. But really, when it came to the poems, I really was trying to look for something deeper, especially with Yuri and Monika's. If there was anything like that, it flew over my head.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Fulfilling the male geek audience's fantasy of being "cool and confident" (i.e. an rear end in a top hat)? Writers' unexamined conceptions of what an "ideal man" that all the girls would be into is like?
Which is funny because at least in this case, Saitama doesn't fulfill any of those roles. Like I feel like I'd be a bigger hit with the ladies than this loser. I especially found his line where he was like "Oh man, what am I gonna do surrounded by all these pretty girls?!?!" to be especially hilarious and kinda pathetic.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Before I link the next video, I have to apologize that there is a black-screen for about twenty seconds at one point. I don't know how it happened, and I can't fix it. And, WITH MAJOR GAME SPOILERS AHEAD, I've reached the point in the game where I can't start a brand new game, as far as I can tell, so I can't re-record the lost part. My only advice is fill in the blanks with another video if you don't know what happens. I feel really awful this happened, and I'm so, so far ahead of this point that I'd have to fake a live commentary and reactions, and I would really rather not do that.

Part 3 - Catfights and Cookies

I'm not going to put spoilers in these little paragraphs anymore, as I'll assume you'll watch the video before reading it, so fair warning on that. Not too much happens, once more, but we get a disturbing insight to Sayori, or at least a hint of something, and Yuri also goes out of her way to show a darker side. Seems like things are starting to veer into darker territories, or maybe I'm just looking too deep into things. Hopefully, major poo poo will go down soon. And I must say, Yuri's personality is starting to grate on me, with her apologizing and acting so bashful all the God drat time.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Augus posted:

I mean, it's better than Natsuki at least. The whole tsundere schtick never fails to irritate me, and the game throwing in an occasional wink and a nudge towards the fact that it's a common archetype doesn't really help much. It's this thing that generic romance/harem anime do these days where they try to draw attention to the fanservice and cliches and make a joke out of it as if that automatically makes it okay to indulge in them. It ends up just being annoying.
Yeah, Natsuki is definitely worse. I too strongly dislike Tsundere characters pretty much without fail. On the other hand though, Yuri has, so far, gotten more screentime than Natsuki, so that's why she's grating on me a bit more.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 4 - Festival Announcement

Good lord that Yuri chocolate scene was a pain in the rear end to sit through. Do Visual Novels usually have scenes like that just...drag for so long with so little happening? Again, this is kind of why I dislike Yuro more than Natsuki. Natsuki has the worse personalities of the two, but Yuri has far more spotlight to show off her annoying tendencies. Either way, there's a festival coming up, and something tells me it'll either not happen, or something awful will happen as a result of it. I guess we'll just have to find out...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

This is your own fault dude, you're picking all the Yuri words.
Oh, does that actually determine who I hang out with each day? For some reason I just assumed it was always Yuri, I guess. Sadly it's too late, I've recorded several episodes ahead of this one so I can't change it.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Natsuki is best girl, I don't know what y'all are about. :colbert:

It's perhaps worth pointing out that this game is really laying it on thick at the start... which is not to say that there aren't visual novels like this or that the stereotypes aren't there, but those aren't necessarily the VNs considered to be the best.
This game is being about as subtle as a sledgehammer with the dating sim tropes at the moment because, well, it wants to make it clear to you what it's about and that everything is cute and cuddly and you get to write poems for cute girls oh gosh :sparkles:
Maybe if she didn't need dental work like a dork, perhaps.

Well, I mean that's what I assumed, but I just don't know how much of the cliches are really what VNs are like, or how much of it is just this game mocking VNs. But as I said above, I have gotten further into the game, so I know how things are gonna get.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The game kinda calls this out in the first poem section (pick words you think club members will like and something special will happen). You can tell by which of the girls jumps up when you pick a word - note that Yuri was pretty ecstatic about all the depressing words you picked.
I knew she liked it, I just wasn't aware this meant that I'd only get to talk to Yuri, I suppose. I really should've seen this coming, honestly.

The poem you write also affects the poems you receive; you have to play through multiple times to see them all.
This raises a question, should I do multiple playthroughs for the LP, or is it not worth it and I should stick with just this one?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 5 - Sayori's Problems

Finally, things start ti get more interesting. Slowly, at first, but still. Seems like Sayori isn't quite as happy as she puts on, and is something I probably should've seen coming. It always hits extra hard when the fun, bubbly characters turn out to be not-so-happy. And by God, Yuri and Natsuki are thirsty as gently caress, they really went all out during that decision part near the end, and for some reason it really bothered me. And finally, a good old long stretch of Natsuki stuff coming up soon with baking. I have the slight theory that there's something going on between Natsuki and her bad. I dunno if he's outright abusive, or if things are just strained, but I have the feeling in my gut that something is going on there...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I have no idea what you could possibly mean.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I mean yeah, it would, but I wanted to avoid more Yuri-time here, and that's basically the only reason I went with Natsuki instead.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Poil posted:

Don't get the wrong idea. I'm not blaming you for your choice and would have done the same. Baka. :v:
Well good, it's not like I made my choice to satisfy you or anything, b-baka...

chiasaur11 posted:

That's the problem with sending a B-Lister.

If King, THE WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN, was here, then things would be pretty different.
gently caress, you're right. His King's Engine would've been enough to pacify Sayori and give her the hope she needed to stop being depressed.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 6 - Baking With Natsuki

Man, things just hit me like a God drat train in this episode. I knew sad things would happen, I knew things would get rough, but it still took me off-guard. And I know far worse things are coming. I may poke fun at Sayori like, constantly, but I honestly never disliked her. (I never particularly liked her very much either, but that's beside the point.) That first conversation with her especially was just brutal to sit through, it was genuinely pretty drat sad. Meanwhile, things moved so much faster with Natsuki than I expected. The near-kiss especially felt jarring considering how little time I spent with the girl before now. Like seriously, she's known Saitama for a week and she already wants in his pants. Though I have to say, the actual baking portion was far less painful than I expected. As for that decision near the end, I have a pretty strong feeling it's meaningless, and whatever happens next will happen no matter which one I chose. Still, I tried to make things right, but even then thinking back to it, it seemed like the wrong decision. And finally, it seems there's more to Monika than just someone that can break the fourth wall. Seems like she may be the villain of this game, and said some awful poo poo to Sayori...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, that's the thing people have been talking about regarding the game being "compressed". This isn't a long game by visual novel standards, so while scenes like this are pretty common in romance VNs, they usually come at a much later part of the game when you've spent more time with the characters and built up a more plausible relationship. Doki Doki Literature Club squishes what could otherwise be several times as long into a few hours while attempting to still hit the same beats.

Out of curiosity, how far ahead are you?
Yeah, as I've said before I don't usually play VNs, so I have no idea how normal some of this stuff is, and how much of it is parody or whatever. In the end it at least I can make light of it and joke about the girls being super thirsty or something.

And this next video is as far as I got. I got carried away and recorded a bunch of videos because I wanted to see what happened next. I forced myself to stop though, so at least my little reactions ITT would be more genuine. Like I know exactly what will happen next, and I've known it for almost a week now.

Poil posted:

:smith:

Oh and don't date Sayori in her current state. It won't end well. Learn from e/n. :(
Yeah, at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. Then I remembered how Sayori was like "Oh, people liking me hurts me!" and that kind of stuff. Though as I said, I have a sneaking suspicion it wouldn't have changed much...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

If you really want to know: It doesn’t; she still dies. You can’t magically solve chronic depression like that, and the game treats it realistically.

Either way, the protagonist is a douche.
Yeah, I know. And I know you can't solve depression, but I was hoping more to prevent suicide.

Cyouni posted:

Now that it's actually come up, I should mention that this might have been noticeable beforehand if more attention were paid to the words Sayori likes.

In the first video: hopeless, broken, depression, ocean, death, unrequited
Third video: unrequited, empty, sadness, tragedy, misery, shame, lazy
Fourth video: happiness, friends, dazzle, rainbow, sunny, smile, passion, beauty, bliss, warm

Yuri may like the more complicated words, but Sayori really has the lock on the saddest ones.
Yeah, looking back at it I did notice that. It was staring at me right from the start.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

With regards to the line about manga, if you had written poems with more Natsuki words and gotten her scenes, you would've been reading manga with her. I guess they just assumed you wouldn't pick her without seeing some of those earlier.
Yeah, I had forgotten Natsuki had a manga interest, probably because I only hung out with Yuri by accident.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - Being Forced Into The Literature Club

Alright, so, not too much to say right now. My assumption was correct and things are basically like a typical Visual Novel so far. Though I admit I kept expecting something really hosed up to happen at any moment. I'm not sure how much of this game is parodying typical VNs and how much is sincere. I can't help but notice each girl is just exceedingly like a stereotypical anime girl. The Tsundere, the shy one, and...Monika. As I said in the video, I expect something with the poems, like one of the girls will hint at some awful trauma that happened to them or something. And so far, as I mentioned, Yuri's probably my favorite since she at least shares similar tastes with her liking horror. My least favorite is the tiny Tsundere girl, since Tsundere characters never fail to annoy me.

Well, the first big tragedy has occured. Sayori has killed herself, and the world...reset. I was actually really taken aback by that, and all the glitches. I really had no idea about this happening in the game. I think it's really safe to assume that there was no combination of choices that'd make Sayori not kill herself, but I really don't know for sure. As for Monika...I just wonder what her deal is. I mean, is she human? She clearly has full awareness as to what's going on and that we're in a game. Is she a person that somehow gained fourth wall awareness and weird reset powers, or is she some kind of demon or witch? Not enough to go on to really theorize on that. This was the last video I have recorded ahead of time, and I won't record ahead of time anymore. This also means I make the same mistake of picking depressing choices for poems, but from now on I won't do that anymore. I also predict Yuri will be the next one to die or something really hosed up happen to her, if only because she replaced Sayori as Vice-President of the club.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Did you check traceback.txt? Check the game folder.
Holy poo poo, so yeah there's a lot of stuff in the game folder, thanks.

traceback.txt has this little gem in it: "RestartTopContext: Oh jeez...I didn't break anything, did I? Hold on a sec, I can probably fix this...I think...
Actually, you know what? This would probably be a lot easier if I just deleted her. She's the one who's making this so difficult. Ahaha! Well, here's goes nothing."

And there's another file called CAN YOU HEAR ME with the following inside:

"There's a little devil inside all of us."

Beneath their manufactured perception - their artificial reality - is a
writhing, twisted mess of dread. Loathing. Judgment. Elitism. Self-doubt.
All thrashing to escape the feeble hold of their host, seeping through every
little crevice they can find. Into their willpower, starving them of all
motivation and desire. Into their stomach, forcing them to drown their guilt in
comfort food. Or into a newly-opened gash in their skin, hidden only by the
sleeves of a cute new shirt.
Such a deplorable, tangled mass is already present in every single one of them.
That's why I choose not to blame myself for their actions.

All I did was untie the knot.

And finally, there's a picture called "hxppy thxughts" there too...

Now this is the type of poo poo I love. It's one thing to make the game glitchy, but to add all this poo poo to the game folder too is a great touch, and somewhat creepy too. I should also note that in the character folder, there's a .chr file for each of the girls...except Sayori is now gone from it...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

If you leave that special poem up on your screen long enough, it gets replaced with something else:

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Kind of an odd, seemingly pointless addition. How strange...

Keep it open, and sort by Date Modified.
You mean while I play?

Augus posted:

nice, we're into the good stuff now. I also accidentally clicked away from that poem, went back to see what it said. that last line is brilliantly chilling.
Yeah, I'm getting excited. I knew there'd be depressing poo poo, but the whole reset and glitch poo poo and whatever Monika's deal is wasn't something I knew about. I'm pretty stoked to see where it goes, though I have a pretty good feeling as to where that is...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 8 - The Fight

Jesus Christ. I was...not expecting that. Things went pretty normal, though somewhat different, at first, but that loving fight...There's no way Natsuki's line about Yuri cutting herself was just so she could be mean. That's gotta be Yuri's personal issue: self harm. I wish that black text didn't go by so fast though, that honestly annoyed me because I couldn't read it at all. Also, Monika...I had no idea she could just interfere so directly, with her mind wiping and all. It raises some pretty awful ideas...And I did finally make a poem geared towards someone other than Yuri, so that's a plus.

Also, the game folder has a new file called "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" and it had this inside:

"I hate this.

I CAN'T DO ANYTHING. NOTHING.
No matter how many times you play. It's all the same.
It would be really, really easy to kill myself right now. But that would mean I don't get to talk to you anymore.
All I want is for you to hate them. Why is that so hard?"

I want to say it's from Monika's point of view. But the suicide talk fits Sayori better...though her wanting me to hate people doesn't really fit her...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Reminder not to believe chiasaur11 and his dirty lies.

But for real, I'm glad it's an auto-skip thing and not a (real) glitch. I was worried I'd have to go manual for a while so the text could actually be seen. Though I guess it's not too bad, people can just pause the video like Poil did.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 9 - Yuri's Problems

What. The. gently caress. Like seriously, so much freaky poo poo happened in one episode, it was like a roller coaster. First, I do get confirmation that Yuri does indeed cut herself, and that Monika has rewinding and memory-wiping powers it seems. Also, Yuri has gone fully mentally hosed and thirsty. I had no idea she'd go Yandere like that, or that any of the girls would. I thought she was going to try and murder Saitama or something and start wearing his skin. Oddly enough, Monika seems to not be in total control of the game like I thought she was. I thought she was the Puppet Master, but her being cut off by the fade to black says otherwise. On a lighter note, I liked how the music became muffled when I went out into the hallway, that was actually pretty funny. I am confused, as it seems like I'm going to be hanging out with Yuri again today, unless something happens, despite me picking Natsuki-geared poetry entries from the poetry-selection before the glitched one. Am I just like, too far in this Yuri storyline for me to change things? And I did also notice a Monika jumping up at the bottom of the screen, but I didn't know which kinds of words exactly registered to her, which was unfortunate. And finally, nothing new in the game folder; no pictures or text documents.

Things are seriously getting out of hand. I wasn't ready for this.

I feel so violated.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

This arc is a lot more railroady than the previous one. Keep writing the poems you want to write, though.
Yeah, I had that feeling. Seems like I changed poo poo up too late.

Poil posted:

After Yuri acted like that with the pencil and hearing she has a collection of knives, I strongly recommend some form of witness protection program for the main character.
I won't lie, Yandere characters creep me out. If only because there are people like that, though usually less exaggerated, in the real world. Yuri's loving eyes never fail to freak me out when I see them. How they're just a bit more realistic looking than the other girls' when she goes into full freak-out mode...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 10 - Just Monika

Just when I thought poo poo couldn't have gotten any weirder, the game surprises me. Yuri going full Yandere sincerely started to freak me out by the end of that little arc. Though I have to admit, her saying she pleasured herself with my pen really made me laugh for some reason. The "weekend" thing really got old and annoying very fast though. I realized after the episode was over that the "have a nice weekend" file was referring to me having to stay with Yuri's corpse all weekend. And then...Monika. Good lord, Monika. I knew she could effect some things, but I had no idea she held as much power as she did. I gotta say, defeating Monika by deleting her character file in the game's directory was pretty drat clever and kind of amusing. I still don't get how she did what she did, but I think I'm looking too far into something I'm not supposed to take seriously, so I'll shrug it off. I was, however, expecting a third arc after Yuri killed herself, since Natsuki never got much screentime. Like I know I kept accidentally hanging out with Yuri, but despite that Sayori got her big moments, and apparently the Yandere Yuri thing was kind of railroaded so I didn't have much choice but to deal with her. But I plan on replaying and gearing all my poems to Natsuki, so I'm gonna keep what Marshal Radsic said a secret to myself so I can find out her dirty laundry on my own. I still think it has something to do with her dad being abusive to some degree. So yeah, this isn't the last part, I just know there's a bunch of secrets left to discover, and I'm sure there's at least one more ending for me to get. I just don't know how to go about unlocking it. The only thing I can think of is accepting Yuri's confession, which I imagine will end up with her killing me or something. I should also note that the game's folder is now clear of any weird stuff, except that Monka's character file is still missing.

Also, do I actually have to reinstall the game, or is that just flavor text?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Alright, thanks, I'll do that then.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Getting the other ending requires thinking outside the box a tiny bit and (ab)using some of the stuff only you can do.
Yeah, I think I have a pretty good feeling of what that is, but I want to play the game again normally before I start abusing stuff.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Very, very bad, eh? Why do I feel like it involves Yuri wearing my skin like a suit?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Cyouni posted:

The easy answer is that in dating sims, you frequently see a character whose sole role is effectively to act as the player's information station. For this purpose, they're endowed with supernatural powers to read your relationship points, give you updates on your current status, and other things like that.
I guess that makes sense. I mean I don't play dating sims or VNs in general so I didn't know that was a thing. I was just thinking the real answer was "Just because", I know not to take this game too seriously.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 11 - Natsuki's Path

Alright, time to restart things. This whole path will be dedicated to getting to the bottom of what Natsuki's awful secrets are. As much as I bash Tsundere characters, I think I actually like Natsuki more than Yuri, as I was reminded that the constantly stuttering, shy, second-guessing type characters annoy me even more. I am having troubles with the poems though, sometimes I pick cute and happy things and get Sayori rather than Natsuki, and I can't figure out the pattern. At the very least it hasn't been too much of an issue so far. Also, Natsuki once again mentioned her dad in a negative light, reinforcing my idea that he's abusive. Though honestly it's pretty obvious since he's the only family member any of the girls have mentioned so far. And that's really it so far, though I wonder if the second arc will change at all since I'm focusing on a different character...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Based on the way they get described in-game, I think Sayori likes "emotional" words, while Natsuki likes "cute" ones. So "happy" would tag Sayori but "bunny" would tag Natsuki.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks, mate.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Monika had a lot to say,

But you deleted her.

You monster.
Bitch should've hurried the Hell up and spoke. I don't got all day.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Marshal Radisic posted:

So here's an interesting question I found while bouncing around the internet: what would the "original" version of DDLC have looked like? What sort of game would we get if everything played out the way it "should," with none of Monika's tampering? The best idea I've seen is the suggestion that it would be something vaguely like Katawa Shoujo, but with mental illness instead of physical disabilities. Given what we see in the early parts of the game, I wonder if there's some sort of hidden joke that a "normal" version of DDLC would be cliche-ridden, pretty offensive to people with actual mental illnesses, and be generally unremarkable as a romance VN.
Yeah, because if I recall right, Monika said that she only made Sayori more depressed, but didn't cause her to be depressed in the first place. And I don't think she made Yuri a cutter, that was something natural. And I will say the first arc, before things got crazy, was pretty boring to sit through. My only entertainment was making fun of the characters, and the knowledge that things would get hosed up like with Sayori hanging herself.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yuri wasn't cutting herself, she was just broody and shy and quiet.
She wasn't cutting herself? I feel like Monika would've mentioned if she implemented that. I will say that during the credits, I noticed a picture of what I assume is Yuri and Saitama from if I decided to help her with her part of the festival project. I'm pretty sure she had on a long-sleeve shirt, one perfect for hiding her cuts.

Cyouni posted:

I also wouldn't be surprised if Monica was also upping the tension in their relationships with other members of the Literature Club. In the very short time you have at the end, they sound like they get along a lot better than in the main game.
That's one reason (aside from her being a Yandere freak) is why I think she killed Sayori off first. Sayori acted as a mediator for Natsuki and Yuri's fight, stopping it from escalating into something really nasty.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Lastly if you go back and play act 1 there's a LOT of subtle foreshadowing that pops at you in a repeated playthrough. Sayori is gonna write poems till she dies!
Yeah, I especially noticed how Monika's poems take on a drastic new light with the knowledge that she knows she's in a game, and is aware of the player...

Part 12 - Shelf Shenanigans

Not too much to say here. I will say that scene with the shelf and the panties was probably the most cliche part of the game so far. I can't believe Saitama is a degenerate pervert, I'm so disappointed. I was surprised that Yuri and Monika had their poems skipped over entirely here, but nothing else that was different. I thought that if I took a different girl's paths, the poems were supposed to change. So far all the poems that I've gotten to see have been the same. Or am I supposed to do something else to make them different? Either way, I feel like next time I'll get some concrete answers on what Natsuki's home life is like, or at least a good hint to it. I just have a strong hunch...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 13 - Natsuki's Glitches

Time for the second round of the "Glitch Arc". Looks like Natsuki's glitch gimmick is a bit different from Yuri's so far, with those black blocks covering her facial features. Since things just started, I don't have too much to say though. Sayori hung herself like usual and I'm going to assume nothing I do can change that. I just have to wonder, is Natsuki's dad normally as abusive as he is, or is that Monika tweaking things, like how she made Sayori suicidal or Yuri a Yandere? I just wonder because Natsuki apparently has enough money for baking supplies and for manga, but not enough to lunch? Either way, at least during the Glitch Arc, it seems she gets smacked around by her dad. I just wonder how else her personality will change like with Yuri in the last cycle. I also have a theory she's gonna get skinnier and skinnier as time goes by.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Poil posted:

Monika appears to be to blame for everything. Since Sayori kills herself maybe she's the "correct" choice. Or you're supposed to spread it out between all three girls and shove show your poems to Monika first each time. Who knows?
Yeah, no idea. I feel like there's no way to save Sayori's life, and it'll always happen no matter what I try. I admit it'd be cool if there was some way to get rid of Yuri or Natsuki instead instead of Sayori and have her be a part of the "Glitch Arc" for a change.

Materant posted:

She's probably using club budget to get the baking supplies. Clubs in Japan are funded by the school, which is why it's something of a deal to be official. Of course, they aren't official yet in the second arc, so it's probably just another inconsistency Monika caused by deleting Sayori and cranking Natsuki and Yuri's problems up to 11.
I think Monika is definitely making Natsuki's dad worse. I'm betting that normally, they may just have a strained relationship, like the dad is a bit strict or something. But during the Glitch Arc, the dad is full on abusive and beating his daughter instead.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 14 - The End. Again.

Well, I admit I'm a bit disappointed with things. While that scene with Natsuki and her...neck was actually kind of funny, that's where her part ended. I got railroaded onto Yuri's part again despite all efforts not to. And not to mention me saying "Yes" to Yuri's confession got me the same result. I just was under the impression I was missing so much more from this game, but it doesn't seem to really be the case. Unless I'm missing something?

So, I've decided to ask you guys, what's there left for me to do? I kind of want the next video to be the last unless there's a lot I'm missing. Sayori's poem path before her suicide doesn't seem like it'd be worth the time, so how do I go about getting the other two endings? Is there enough material for several more videos, or just one with some secrets and stuff?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

You can also hang out with Monika a bit after everyone else is gone. She's got a lot to say.

Try skipping it.
You mean after she goes silent to "gather her thoughts"?

Materant posted:

The first one is simple, you just get 100% CG completion. This just involves you playing through each girl's path and reloading before Sayori hangs herself. You'll also need to confess to Sayori for that CG too.
Reload? Reload to what point in the game?

Part 15 - Sayori's Path

Okay, seems I'll still have a few more videos to do. If only to get all the endings. Sadly there's not much for me to say here, except Sayori is so sickeningly sweet that I think I have diabetes now. I suppose that's the problem with doing commentary of a game like this. Since I have to repeat so much of it, I run out of anything worthwhile to say, or even new banter to throw at the characters. I really do feel like I've seen the best of what the game has to offer at this point, and the pre-suicide part of the game was always pretty dull for me, but for the sake of completion I'll do it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 16 - Sayori's Clumsiness

I gotta say, Sayori's really starting to grow on me. Her personality is pretty cookie cutter (like most of the characters), but her stupidity just keeps making me laugh. I swear at times she's almost as stupid as I jokingly refer to her as being. If anything, she's my favorite solely for making me laugh more than anyone else, and being the most entertaining girl pre-Glitch Arc. And next time I get to finally see what hanging out with Yuri outside of school is like. I'm guessing she'll make reference to her cutting in some way, even by accident. I noticed in the ending credits, she's wearing long sleeves, obviously to hide her scars. The next video will also probably be the last. I should be able to get the good ending, and then do the secret bad ending real quick and call it a wrap.

• Locked thread